Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

IF Increase speed is important, what would you do?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-11-22, 07:00 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Ride long steep descents.
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 11-11-22, 07:19 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,715 Times in 2,911 Posts
1. Follow a modern structured training plan, with adequate recovery (focused on your riding goals, age etc). Ideally with integrated off-bike strength and mobility training
2. Monitor your nutrition carefully.
3. Monitor your sleep carefully.

That's how you get faster IME, especially if you are not currently doing any/all of those things.
Old 11-11-22, 07:29 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 257 Posts
Position, Training, Nutrition, Rest, Kit...IMO this is the order for performance improvements.
Good aero wheels offer the biggest increase of speed compared to the rest of your kit...but...there are some caveats such as they are a pain to get up to speed for the lighter rider, can be difficult in side winds...not "can", they are a b itch in side winds, dragging them up a climb is not a lot of fun.
I'm not knowledgeable about supplements but back in the '90's I experimented with Creatine for one racing season. I increased my weight by 5 lbs average...I went from 135lbs to 140lbs of muscle...my thigh size increased and my sprints became much faster with far more power. I was generally a top 10-15 in the normal crit in New England before my experiment. I moved up to top 5 and winning several crits and primes. I even beat some of the best sprinters in my category...Masters/cat 3 at that time...After one big win several opponents/friends came up to me immediately after the race and said "what are you taking". I told them Creatine and they laughed and agreed.
Down side it hurt my climbing ability. Dragging that extra weight hurt my finishes in races with a finish at the top of a climb. And it was expensive...yikes !
When that season ended I stopped using Creatine and went back to my normal body size/weight. It was an interesting experiment.
I did not change my training plan during that season.
Old 11-11-22, 09:59 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 226 Posts
I ride a fair amount, my bike is very nice and I am close to ideal weight. In my mid 60's and I think this is as good as I am going to get. Maybe with a very intense and structured training program, aero wheels and socks, I can get another few percent. But then it would be work, not fun.

If I could buy my way into the "A Group," I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Likes For bblair:
Old 11-11-22, 10:38 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
... Previously I kept adding gears. What this allows is for you to ride a broader array of conditions in your preferred comfort zone.

I now have discovered single speeds. These may seem a quaint, backwater novelty to most but, what a single speed does for you is rip you out of your comfort zone. You either get strong or you don't go. The ride is much more varied. Light load & 130 cadence going down. 500 watts @ 60 rpm going up until you explode.

A single speed set your preferred cadence at your preferred speed & letting terrain dictate your level of "discomfort" can force a lot of adaption. ...
A corollary which is less "extreme" than riding a single speed: a narrower range cassette with a largest cog that is one cog smaller, e.g., going from 11-28 to 11-25.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 11-11-22, 10:49 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Position on the bike is super important, having a strong base is also important, follow that with intervals and some strength training.
This is also something that people need to discuss or realize when they go in for a bike fit.

Too many seem to think a bike fit is all about comfort. However you can also have the fit be more about getting the most power to the pedals. And that trades off a certain amount of comfort. So compromises have to be made. A person doing a short time trial can put up with some more discomfort than a person doing a 200 km ride.

Last edited by Iride01; 11-11-22 at 10:59 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-11-22, 10:52 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
done all of the above...
some works, sometimes... and sometimes not...
what works , every time... ride more often in a group with young riders, and wheelsuck like your life depends on it... works 100% of the time...
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 11-11-22, 10:58 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
A lot has been said in this thread. Aero means a lot. Position means a lot. Structured training means a lot. Equipment means a little.

While all these things are true, recently my approach has changed a bit. Previously I kept adding gears. What this allows is for you to ride a broader array of conditions in your preferred comfort zone.

I now have discovered single speeds. These may seem a quaint, backwater novelty to most but, what a single speed does for you is rip you out of your comfort zone. You either get strong or you don't go. The ride is much more varied. Light load & 130 cadence going down. 500 watts @ 60 rpm going up until you explode.

A single speed set your preferred cadence at your preferred speed & letting terrain dictate your level of "discomfort" can force a lot of adaption.

Now that I've the light, I'm never going to not have one in my stable.

Try it. You might like it.
My winter fendered bike is a 12 speed with a racing block. It doesn’t nearly have the gearing of my modern bike, so I really have to muscle the hills. I figure it is a good training bike since it doesn’t give me an easy out on a climb similar, but not too similar, to your fixed gear. Good recomendation.

Regarding a more aero position on the bike; I have had shoulder pain for the last two years which is pretty much resolved after doing strength training. I can hold an aero position longer with little discomfort which is a bonus.

I have also gained a significant amount of strength for out of the saddle climbs over the last two years as well. Previously a 10 second climb would hav me out of breath with legs burning, now I can hammer for 30 seconds until lactic acid kicks in, and I am nearly not so out of breath.

Last edited by rsbob; 11-11-22 at 11:09 AM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-11-22, 12:52 PM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
I care about speed and tick most of the boxes listed.

The biggest thing is training, sleep and nutrition where I don't do it perfectly, and generally every year I have a month to two when everything just falls apart (I'm going to call it an off-season, yep), but I try to improve, and the power curve is improving year on year. Doing ​​​​​​loosely structured training with mostly endurance and one to two days per week going beyond that, and a short weights session once per week... most weeks, at least. If I could shed a few more kilos, 4W/kg is within grasp and that provides a bit of extra motivation to eat clean.

Equipment I use is mostly optimized for speed. Aero clothing, already done. It's really a no brainer, a basic Decathlon road suit costs like 100 Eur and you can see the improvement, it really works, there is no comfort downside and it costs as much as a half decent bib and jersey. Low hanging fruit. Aero socks kind of struggle to stay up, tried it on races. Maybe the Silca ones which are more like a normal one? Don't know. Mitts without extra stuff on them, which maybe makes them more aerodynamic, but most importantly lack of velcro makes them not stick to other lycra when washing. Medium depth aero wheels. Cost a bit, but there's practically no downside to 45-50mm deep wheels which give most of the benefits, will probably buy deeper. Top shelf tires, too. Position is pretty aero and optimized, too - it is basically my forte, and I can really make a good effort to bridge a breakaway, although making one is... really hard. The net sum of it helps, but not as much help as I need to stick with the first group.

My bike handling skills are my biggest failing because I started riding late in life. Trying to improve, but sometimes I mess up. 🤷

Last edited by Branko D; 11-11-22 at 01:01 PM.
Likes For Branko D:
Old 11-11-22, 01:15 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
Things I've done:
1. Ride a lot more - the last two years I've done > 6000 miles, vs 1000-3000 the previous decade. I not only ride more days but also ride longer on the days I ride.
2. Lose weight - I lost 30# the first year of the Pandemic - calorie counting and a lot more exercise.
3. Optimize position - I was already doing pretty well, but a few mm of extra saddle height. Using a Smart trainer, I discovered I was able to put out higher power longer at that height.
3a. Set up the bars so the drops and aero hoods are useable positions, then practice riding in them for several miles at a time. Comes in handy for the summer headwinds here.
4. Keep pushing over the top on hills, instead of getting to the top and stopping pedaling.
5. Keep riding through the winter - for me, Zwift makes riding the trainer palatable, so when Spring comes, I haven't gained 20 lbs and lost all my fitness.

So, even though I'm almost 65, I'm faster now than I've been in a couple decades. Mind you, if I'd already done all of those, I wouldn't have had as much room for improvement

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-11-22, 03:10 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Weight makes very little difference unless climbing, but the difference in weight between 'Bike A' and 'Bike A with a couple lightweight parts swapped in' is generally a miniscule overall difference.

Otherwise -
  • Maintenence (bearings in good condition, drivetrain cleaned and lubed)
  • Fit allowing maximum efficient power output
  • Aerodynamic Position
  • Tight/aerodynamic clothing
  • Good quality tires
I think these are roughly in the order of importance, but the order would change based on the individual. If riding faster, aerodynamics plays a bigger part, for instance.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 11-11-22, 03:15 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Re. Weight - I said above weight makes little difference, but I was referring mainly to trying to make the bike lighter. genejockey said they lost 30# of body weight - generally, losing weight off your body is more effective than taking weight off the bike because (a) many of us have more weight available to take off our bodies (hard to take 30# off a bike), and (ii) losing body weight is often accompanied by an increase in fitness.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 11-13-22, 12:51 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
Have been a doing a bit of reading and video watching and it appears that the current approach toward training for most athletes is the ladder or pyramid. I keep running into this methodology which is contrary to what I have been doing, which is always push myself except when really exhausted then take it very easy. So now it will be zone 1-2 four days and do zone 5 two days and a rest day. Have also started measuring resting heart rate when I first awaken to determine if I may be overdoing it. Also trying, like today, to take a complete day off - except for weights, core and shoulders/arms. Have always resisted a structured program, but now is the time to give it a shot.

Did a heavy Zwift session the day before yesterday with an average HR for an hour and a half of 160, staying in threshold and tempo the entire time. Started feeling twinges in my chest which have since stopped. Had the same thing occur when I first got Zwift two years ago and went absolutely crazy pushing myself and ended up getting a EKG and other studies to see if I was damaging myself. All the results came back negative but didn’t like having those minor pains, so backed way off. Looks like running my heart that hard for so long is not a good idea as my body is telling me it is not happy so will moderate my efforts to either decrease duration or effort.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-13-22, 01:12 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Train with more purpose and planning, ride more, sleep more.

Buying more stuff should be pretty far down the list, but it's what most people will prioritize.
But that requires work. This is about buying more speed. Ha ha.

Eddy Merckx said, "Instead of buying more upgrades, ride up more grades."
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 11-13-22, 01:21 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
The key word above is IF. For those who want to go faster, or even further with less effort, what lengths would you go to getting there?

Lighter bike, carbon aero wheels, lose weight, take supplements, do more leg and core work, run steps, buy more aero clothing, hire a trainer? All of the above?

I know there are plenty of people totally not interested in either going further or faster or both and I get that. But for those that do, what are your strategies?
Finding a long distance area that has the least impedance for riding in is what I would strategically strive for, but I think a concoction of supplements & non drowsy antidepressants would be more realistic.
Old 11-13-22, 11:40 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
Have been a doing a bit of reading and video watching and it appears that the current approach toward training for most athletes is the ladder or pyramid. I keep running into this methodology which is contrary to what I have been doing, which is always push myself except when really exhausted then take it very easy.
A fairly consistent rule over the decades has been that you can't just do the same thing every time because the body learns to be efficient doing that one thing. Various programs have come out of that, and I have no idea what the prevailing one is right now since I haven't raced in many years, but you get the idea. It actually reminds me that I need to diversify my workouts more (and with intention) if I'm going to get back in shape.
Old 11-14-22, 10:45 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 1,122 Times in 482 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
Eddy Merckx said, "Instead of buying more upgrades, ride up more grades."
Where, when, and in what language did he say that?
Likes For RChung:
Old 11-14-22, 01:11 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
Bingo. It's highly suspicious.

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/cycling-quotes/
"This delightful nugget is frequently attributed to [Eddy Merckx], which seems extraordinarily unlikely given that it’s distinctly American to refer to a climb as “a grade” and [Merckx] is a Belgian man who speaks decent English but isn’t famed for his anglophone wordplay."
Old 11-14-22, 01:17 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
From the book of cycling mythology. I've heard it so many times, but I never bothered to track it down.
Old 11-14-22, 02:12 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Get a good coach.
Old 11-14-22, 05:14 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,426 Posts
I use a coach and do structured training.
Old 11-14-22, 08:28 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
46 posts and everyone has missed the obvious answer: dial it up to 400 watts.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 11-14-22, 08:34 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
46 posts and everyone has missed the obvious answer: dial it up to 400 watts.
And drope the hamer!
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-14-22, 09:49 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
I feel for the OP.
I did not hit the genetic lottery either.
Acceptance is brutal in middle age.
At about 35 y/o, its been all downhill.
Old 11-14-22, 10:15 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Have been a doing a bit of reading and video watching and it appears that the current approach toward training for most athletes is the ladder or pyramid. I keep running into this methodology which is contrary to what I have been doing, which is always push myself except when really exhausted then take it very easy. So now it will be zone 1-2 four days and do zone 5 two days and a rest day. Have also started measuring resting heart rate when I first awaken to determine if I may be overdoing it. Also trying, like today, to take a complete day off - except for weights, core and shoulders/arms. Have always resisted a structured program, but now is the time to give it a shot.

Did a heavy Zwift session the day before yesterday with an average HR for an hour and a half of 160, staying in threshold and tempo the entire time. Started feeling twinges in my chest which have since stopped. Had the same thing occur when I first got Zwift two years ago and went absolutely crazy pushing myself and ended up getting a EKG and other studies to see if I was damaging myself. All the results came back negative but didn’t like having those minor pains, so backed way off. Looks like running my heart that hard for so long is not a good idea as my body is telling me it is not happy so will moderate my efforts to either decrease duration or effort.
You got that right. I'm 77 and that seems to be the maximum hard riding age for those who, for many years, did what you're talking about. You break the equipment is what happens. Bummer. Now I'm seeing the cardiologist, too. Sure was fun, though!

Right now I'm only doing zones 1 and 2, mostly 2, and going to the gym. Strength work is a big deal. I'm not in good riding shape unless I can deep squat my bodyweight or close to it. Then I'll add some Z3 "intervals" and then longer zone 2-3 rides. I won't do hard intervals or hard effort climbs until probably February. Base is the slowest thing to add and lasts the longest. High end comes up faster and goes away faster. You got your macrocycles, your mezzocycles, and your microcycles. Periodization works. I'm talking about ordinary trad training. I don't know what folks are doing now, but pushing hard, all the time only works for so long.

I should have started doing this progression back on October 1, but heart issues got in the way, so I'm a little behind and I'll have to compress things a little more than I'd like to.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.