Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Optimized posture for pedaling while standing

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-23, 11:32 AM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts

I have reviewed a few books and online postings and now seeking input from Bike Forums on finding an optimal standing posture on a road bike. Although I am not racing, I ride mostly on friendly yet competitive group rides while doing frequent mountain routes. I would suspect there are various "optimal" postures for various goals. In the broadest terms, my goal is 3-7 minutes of sustained, standing power while climbing or also while needing to accelerate to catch up (or drop!! Haha) some mates. Or, secondarily, learning to understand pros and cons of various postures for different situations. My question may be too broad. I just want to learn to be more effective and efficient while standing on the bike. I typically fatigue too much after 30-90 seconds. Are there any generally accepted cycling principles for pedaling while standing?
Old 05-03-23, 11:58 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
There are as many ways to stand as there are angles to maintain your foot at when seated. If everyone with an opinion on what works for them answers, this could run many pages. So I am going to say nothing about what position you should have other than - if your back is rounded down, ie, hips rotated back as you reach forward, you are compressing your abdomen and restricting your ability to take full deep breaths. I was doing this without being aware of it on a commuter I had that was short on the top tube and had a long head tube. Made a huge4 gamble and had a stem made that was 2" longer than the longest at any bike shop. Stretched me out like a cat doing one of those stretches where it gets really long. And on hills - radical improvement - in breathing, in comfort and comfort late in hard rides.

So observe what you are doing and what you could do to get more torso elongation. Another trick - this from a swim coach who was also a physiology major grad student - exhale! She stressed that in freestyle, the exhale was far more important than the inhale. That 100% exhale and 25% inhale was radically better than 50% and 50%. What a gift! I forgot her name years ago but I hope I never lose sight of the importance of the exhale. (When I start dying on climbs, it's "Exhale!" A boost every time I remember.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 05-03-23, 03:08 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4366 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
Not sure why you would want to go full gas standing for 3-7 minutes? You fatigue after 30-90 seconds because standing isn'g a great way to sustain power for anything other than short bursts.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 05-03-23, 04:15 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
You can train to be able to stand for long periods. That's what you have to do - practice standing, like ordinary intervals. Stand, rest, stand, etc.

IME the best posture is weight over the pedals, back of thigh brushing the saddle nose, hands light on the bars, the hand on the side of the downstroke foot pulling up slightly. I find I do better in the drops, but that's individual. It is important to weight the pedals, not the bars. I attempt a Pantani, pointed toes and all, but of course do not succeed. He's a good model though. I have observed that riders who run a lot have better experiences standing.
Old 05-03-23, 08:46 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
I find it really helpful to watch how the best pros that stand a lot do it. Julian Alaphillipe is one of the best to watch as he rides standing more than almost any other top pro. His body is pivoting in very subtle ways, and the bike is also moving in sync with that, and the combination looks effortless.

I rarely stand myself, I can get the same watts for a lot less work on all but the highest zone of effort. I have improved at it over time though.
Likes For scottfsmith:
Old 05-03-23, 10:09 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I love to stand. I also love having my bars reasonably low and far forward. I have a lot of weight on my hands and pull up considerably on the upstroke. I read here that much of what I am doing is wrong but I've been doing it for 50 years. During my brief racing "career" I was the guy others did not like to see at the start of the hilly races in Vermont.

I do not have any one thing I always do. Sometimes I rock the bike a lot. Other times I hold it vertical. I do love "the dance" where everything excerpt my eyes is moving. (Well; my head will be rocking from side to side so my view of the world is rocking but the bridge of my nose is going straight uphill. Tires too. That from my coaches back when.)

Best advice? Stand. A lot. Work on doing it longer and longer. Observe what works, what feels good. Try playing with brake levers, handlebar height and rotation. (Mark everything first so you can return to it. It may well be that you are looking for a compromise between seated comfort, power and efficiency and the same standing.

A tip if you like to rock the bike a lot and ride in the drops - avoid handlebars with the now popular almost square outboard "corners". Those corners can do a number on your forearms. For me, they hit near bare bone rather hard. Older bars with the far more rounded "corners" are much more forging and rounded shoulder track bars are wonderful.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 05-04-23, 07:35 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4366 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
Well, what do I know, but it seems to me that the crossover point where the energetic cost of standing exceeds the extra power comes at fairly modest durations.

On the trainer, I try to stand for a couple of minutes out of every ten just because it eases the discomfort of sitting on the saddle. And so I get lots of experience seeing that at constant power, when I stand my HR goes up. Of course, there's always going to be that extra metabolic cost for the added effort on your core muscles.

For short bursts, that metabolic cost is outweighed by the extra power. But eventually, the lower efficiency of standing becomes a hinderance. And I would think that few of us are putting out so much power for 3-7 minute efforts that there is a benefit that outweighs the extra demands from the core.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 05-04-23, 03:10 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
I sit the majority of the time. But a while back I think it was Carbonfiberboy that posted a video of Pantani standing for a long time during one of his races. I was impressed. I also noticed and think it may have been part of the discussion that Pantani was in the drops as he pedaled.

I'd previously always tried to stand holding on to the hoods or tops of the bars. And it seemed I didn't like that. However after seeing that video, I too found that for the times I do stand, holding on to the drops seems to make everything better about standing. It also uses some different muscles or at least a different range of motion for the muscles. And I still tend to think that the effort of standing uses energy just to stand that could be saved for pedaling. But for a last minute stab at staying on the bike when a grade briefly and suddenly pitches up to steep angle, I'll definitely use my last little bit of energy to stand as I gasp for air and try to get to where the grade lessens. Otherwise it's that walk of shame most of us don't want to do! <grin>

However it's still something I don't do enough of and need to practice. My cadence in the saddle while climbing is over 90 RPM until I start to run out of steam or run out of lower gear ratios. And at the moment I can't pedal more than about 65 maybe 70 RPM standing. So I have to actually slow down to stand up!

Last edited by Iride01; 05-04-23 at 03:19 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-05-23, 06:20 AM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
if your back is rounded down, ie, hips rotated back as you reach forward, you are compressing your abdomen and restricting your ability to take full deep breaths. I was doing this without being aware of it on a commuter I had that was short on the top tube and had a long head tube. Made a huge4 gamble and had a stem made that was 2" longer than the longest at any bike shop. Stretched me out like a cat doing one of those stretches where it gets really long. And on hills - radical improvement - in breathing, in comfort and comfort late in hard rides.

So observe what you are doing and what you could do to get more torso elongation. Another trick - this from a swim coach who was also a physiology major grad student - exhale! She stressed that in freestyle, the exhale was far more important than the inhale. That 100% exhale and 25% inhale was radically better than 50% and 50%. What a gift! I forgot her name years ago but I hope I never lose sight of the importance of the exhale. (When I start dying on climbs, it's "Exhale!" A boost every time I remember.)
I love practical advice. This is excellent input. Thanks for those two pointers.
Old 05-05-23, 06:26 AM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
the hand on the side of the downstroke foot pulling up slightly.
Interesting. A friend said pulling up on the Opposite side of the downstroke. Referenced crosss country skiing.
Old 05-05-23, 11:27 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3414 Post(s)
Liked 3,542 Times in 1,782 Posts
Most of my out-of-the-saddle time is spent climbing: either to take a break from pedaling in the saddle, or to get through a steep section. I've been doing it so long that I've had to think about what I do to put it into words, but here goes:
  1. Straighten out the lower back, and lengthen the torso. That's number one, because the back needs a break. I can feel the tension release within a few pedal strokes.
  2. Keep a light amount of weight on your hands by maintaining your hips close to the saddle nose.
  3. Gently rock the bike from side to side. Don't rock your shoulders.
  4. Pedal a low cadence by shifting up a gear or two. This will keep the aerobic effort roughly the same.
  5. Don't bounce your hips up and down.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-08-23, 07:00 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Most of my out-of-the-saddle time is spent climbing: either to take a break from pedaling in the saddle, or to get through a steep section. I've been doing it so long that I've had to think about what I do to put it into words, but here goes:
  1. Straighten out the lower back, and lengthen the torso. That's number one, because the back needs a break. I can feel the tension release within a few pedal strokes.
  2. Keep a light amount of weight on your hands by maintaining your hips close to the saddle nose.
  3. Gently rock the bike from side to side. Don't rock your shoulders.
  4. Pedal a low cadence by shifting up a gear or two. This will keep the aerobic effort roughly the same.
  5. Don't bounce your hips up and down.
I can only second this. The main reason I started practicing out of saddle climbing was your number 1, to learn to give relief to the lower back, and the buttocks. Since doing that I have become so much better at it and it really is a great skill to have.
Likes For ZHVelo:
Old 05-08-23, 01:01 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by rbrides
Interesting. A friend said pulling up on the Opposite side of the downstroke. Referenced crosss country skiing.
Well, we want to tilt the bike away from the downstroke foot so . . .Anyway, I don't see what XC has to do with anything. It's a completely different sport. Although in Classic XC the hand and foot on the same side do move in opposite directions.
Old 05-11-23, 08:22 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,856 Times in 6,071 Posts
Originally Posted by rbrides
Wait - if my right foot is on the downstroke and I pull UP on the handlebar with my left hand, won't I just tip the whole bike to the right? I'm pretty sure you want to swing the bike the opposite way - push down on right pedal while swinging the bike to the left, then reverse. Lather, rinse, repeat.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-26-23, 10:53 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
I've read several times, for what it's worth, that standing may feel better, but it's less efficient than being seated on a climb. (opinions?) I still do it, but I think it's more for a change of posture (relief) than any mechanical advantage. That said, I think Alberto Contador always set the best example.
Old 05-27-23, 05:59 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by ZukeRNukeR
Hello,

When it comes to finding an optimal standing posture on a road bike, there are various factors to consider. While there may not be one "perfect" posture for everyone, there are some general principles that can help improve your effectiveness and efficiency while standing.

Position your hands: Place your hands on the hoods or the tops of the handlebars for better control and stability. This allows you to maintain a relaxed grip while standing.

Maintain a balanced stance: Keep your weight centered over the bike by distributing it evenly between your hands and feet. This helps with stability and power transfer.

Engage your core: Activate your core muscles to provide stability and support for your upper body while standing. This helps reduce fatigue and improves power transfer.

Find a comfortable standing position: Experiment with different positions to find what works best for you. Some riders prefer a more upright stance, while others may lean slightly forward. Find a balance that allows you to generate power efficiently without straining your body.

Cadence and gear selection: When standing, choose a gear that allows you to maintain a smooth and controlled cadence. This helps you generate power without excessive strain on your muscles.

Happy riding and enjoy exploring different postures to find what suits you best!

Best regards, ZukeRNukeR
I asked "Please give me some advice on the optimal standing posture on a road bike" to ChatGPT and got back about half of this verbatim. Don't you have something better to do ZukeR?

Here is what I got back .. actually better than what ZukeR got, I think ChatGPT likes me more :-)
Maintaining the right standing posture on a road bike is essential for comfort, efficiency, and control. Here are some tips to help you achieve an optimal standing posture:
  1. Position your hands: When standing on the pedals, place your hands on the brake hoods or the drops of the handlebars. This provides stability and control while distributing your weight evenly.
  2. Move your body forward: Shift your body weight slightly forward to maintain balance. This helps you engage your core muscles and prevents excessive strain on your arms and upper body.
  3. Bend your elbows: Keep your elbows slightly bent to absorb road vibrations and maintain a relaxed posture. Avoid locking your elbows, as this can lead to discomfort and reduced control.
  4. Position your feet correctly: Ensure that your feet are parallel to the ground and centered over the pedals. This allows for efficient power transfer and prevents any unnecessary strain on your knees.
  5. Engage your core: Maintain a strong core by activating your abdominal and lower back muscles. This helps stabilize your upper body and reduces unnecessary movement.
  6. Relax your upper body: Avoid tensing up your shoulders, neck, and upper back. Relaxing these areas helps reduce fatigue and allows for smooth and controlled movements.
  7. Maintain a neutral spine: Keep your spine in a neutral position by avoiding excessive arching or rounding. This ensures proper alignment and reduces the risk of back discomfort.
  8. Use your body weight: When pedaling while standing, use your body weight to drive the pedals downward. This generates power and allows you to maintain a steady rhythm.
  9. Practice smooth transitions: When transitioning from sitting to standing or vice versa, aim for a seamless movement. Avoid sudden jerks or rocking motions that can throw off your balance.
  10. Gradually increase standing time: Start by standing for short durations and gradually increase your standing time as you become more comfortable and confident. This allows your muscles to adapt and reduces the risk of fatigue.
Remember that everyone's body is unique, so it's essential to experiment and make adjustments to find the posture that works best for you. Regular practice, proper bike fit, and listening to your body will help you develop a comfortable and efficient standing posture on your road bike.
Likes For scottfsmith: