Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

bike lanes are not for cars.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

bike lanes are not for cars.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-23, 10:34 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Roughstuff
Only an environmentalist would suggest that moving an exhaust pipe 6 vertical feet would “solve” the exhaust/pollution problem. The latter improvement is largely due to switching to natural gas fuel. Of course envirowhackjobs now don’t like NatGas because it crimps their electric vehicle fantasies.

in any case though the folks on this thread HAVE made it clear to me that navigating in and around busses doesn’t present that much of a problem. One small step for mankind!

No, I didn't claim that it solved the pollution problem, but only a guy who doesn't actually ride behind buses from time to time would think that exhaust is still going in your face when the pipe is positioned above the vehicle. And no, more city buses are diesel than CNG. . https://afdc.energy.gov/data/10302

I'm old enough to remember riding behind diesel buses with a tailpipe at the bottom, and it was definitely spewing in my face. I've ridden behind many diesel buses with the tailpipe above the roof, and yes, that small relocation solved that particular problem. Pretty sure noting that doesn't make me an "environmental whackjob",

As to electric vs. CNG buses, I admittedly don't have enough knowledge to have an informed opinion, but I do know that you are just about the last person on the planet I'd ask. This is also definitely not the forum for that particular debate.
Old 04-21-23, 01:37 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions

As to electric vs. CNG buses, I admittedly don't have enough knowledge to have an informed opinion, but I do know that you are just about the last person on the planet I'd ask. This is also definitely not the forum for that particular debate.
Please don't. I've read a lot of the discussion on electric buses/trucks/semis and the pluses and minuses seem to be so numerous I think I am more confused than I was before. Hopefully stronger/longer life batteries will resolve the issue.
Old 04-21-23, 02:07 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Please don't. I've read a lot of the discussion on electric buses/trucks/semis and the pluses and minuses seem to be so numerous I think I am more confused than I was before. Hopefully stronger/longer life batteries will resolve the issue.
They would, but we just don't have the time. And they know it. So they aren't even making a good faith effort to develop them. We allowed them to run the clock out.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 04-21-23, 03:41 PM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Perhaps just obeying the law as a motor vehicle (which every state requires bicycles to do), which includes minding the marked area where a bus will pull into. I'm in Philly and I've been hit by SEPTA buses (side swiped into parked cars and curbs) not because the bus was not minding the law, but because I was riding like an idiot. Perhaps the solution is just riding with traffic like a responsible cyclist, not splitting it, stopping behind buses, not passing a stopped bus and complaining about a pedestrian (who has the right of way) delaying you by a couple seconds, etc., ad infinitum.
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 04-24-23, 11:37 AM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Originally Posted by PhilFo
Perhaps just obeying the law as a motor vehicle (which every state requires bicycles to do), which includes minding the marked area where a bus will pull into. I'm in Philly and I've been hit by SEPTA buses (side swiped into parked cars and curbs) not because the bus was not minding the law, but because I was riding like an idiot. Perhaps the solution is just riding with traffic like a responsible cyclist, not splitting it, stopping behind buses, not passing a stopped bus and complaining about a pedestrian (who has the right of way) delaying you by a couple seconds, etc., ad infinitum.
Phil has SEPTA (or any other bus systems) tried using the smaller buses---even akin to Volkswagen Buses!--- in the city? It seems like they would be able to scoot in and out of traffic more and be less bulky. You see these types of buses throughout central and south america, so would they work here? I'm wondering if they have been tried anywhere.
Old 04-24-23, 12:43 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Phil has SEPTA (or any other bus systems) tried using the smaller buses---even akin to Volkswagen Buses!--- in the city? It seems like they would be able to scoot in and out of traffic more and be less bulky. You see these types of buses throughout central and south america, so would they work here? I'm wondering if they have been tried anywhere.
What difference would a smaller size bus make for a bicyclist who cannot (in your opinion) figure out how to safely ride in a curb side lane or bike lane on a city street if busses pickup and discharge passengers at the curb?
Old 04-25-23, 04:44 PM
ExtremeSquared

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I did this driving in Paris once. Driving in Paris is confounding. Luckily I corrected it before any interactions with cyclists.
Likes For ExtremeSquared:
Old 04-25-23, 05:22 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
no camera it would have been great. ok crazy thing on a road with a wide bike lane. a line of cars on the left at the red light. someone in a little kia getting into the bike lane. thought they were going to turn into the driveway nope. was thinking a right turn nope. well they ran out of room so drove the right hand wheels up on the curb and drove that way till the light change and got back in line. no clue what was going through their head.
Old 04-26-23, 11:55 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

I have found it pretty easy to pass stopped buses safely, but part of that might involve waiting behind it a couple stops before the opportunity to take the lane and give the bus a wide berth rises. It really isn't any different than riding around other big vehicles except that the buses are much ore predictable.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-26-23, 12:20 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
This thread is so fun.*

*reading this while sitting on "empty" bendy bus that comes every 10 minutes with no fewer than 20 people and 2 bicycles on board at 11:15am on a Wednesday.

IMG_1114 by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr
While editing the other bike rider exited. So 19 souls onboard, now.

Last edited by base2; 04-26-23 at 12:28 PM.
Likes For base2:
Old 04-26-23, 12:46 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by base2
This thread is so fun.*

*reading this while sitting on "empty" bendy bus that comes every 10 minutes with no fewer than 20 people and 2 bicycles on board at 11:15am on a Wednesday.

IMG_1114 by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr
While editing the other bike rider exited. So 19 souls onboard, now.
Nice bike racks on the bus. The ramp for guiding the front wheel into the proper slot looks like a good idea. Nice bike too!
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 05-01-23, 03:31 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
What difference would a smaller size bus make for a bicyclist who cannot (in your opinion) figure out how to safely ride in a curb side lane or bike lane on a city street if busses pickup and discharge passengers at the curb?
True.....but seriously, I would think the sight lines would be better, and less intimidating. I did have some experience with these mini buses in several countries, and they seemed easier to navigate and anticipate.

But heck as a passenger half the fun of TAKING a bus or subway at Rush hour was getting sardined while standing up and holding onto the old leather straps.
Old 05-10-23, 10:49 PM
AndreyT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Um... There's a bike lane and there's a bike lane. It is probably worth noting that the bike lane in the video is intended to be separated/isolated and therefore free of cars.

In California the law explicitly requires cars to drive in bike lanes when performing a right turn. Cars are required to always enter the bike lane first and then make the right turn from the bike lane.

​​Despite that we have a large number of "genius" drivers who ignore that important law and make right turns from rightmost car lanes, thus subjecting bicyclists to the dangers of the notorious "right hook".
Old 05-22-23, 08:45 AM
homeless in ca.

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 41 Posts
I often call 911 to report drivers parked in the bike lane. Occasionally stuff happens.

Old 05-23-23, 06:29 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by homeless in ca.
I often call 911 to report drivers parked in the bike lane. Occasionally stuff happens.
"Stuff" like this?
Called 911 for a bike lane parking violation? Needlessly initiate and provoke a confrontation with strangers (while parked in the adjacent driving lane)? Like Drama much?

"Stuff" happens indeed.
Old 05-24-23, 03:33 PM
homeless in ca.

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 41 Posts
"Stuff" like this?
Called 911 for a bike lane parking violation? Needlessly initiate and provoke a confrontation with strangers (while parked in the adjacent driving lane)? Like Drama much?

"Stuff" happens indeed.
"driving lane" LOL
Old 05-30-23, 04:00 PM
Wasted Tuition

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For Real
Old 08-13-23, 10:07 PM
tungsten

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts

"Stuff" happens indeed.
It's Quebec, eh?

To be fair though, one could actually "live" there on a bicycle manufacturing wage.
Old 08-15-23, 10:46 AM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Not enough profanity.
does the situation call for a blue streak?