Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Helix Update?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Helix Update?

Old 05-09-23, 11:31 AM
Hrodwolf

Bikes: Tern Verge X11 (2021), Helix Ultralight (2023)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Indeed. I bought a Tern nearly 2 years ago.
The same bike costs now 20% more and I had to buy accessories (mudguards, etc) all across Europe.
I nearly bought the Kanga rack in Japan as the last pieces seemed to be available there. It took 1 year and half to have it available again.
Old 05-13-23, 11:16 PM
davidhunternyc

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
From what I've read, Helix is no longer making bicycles? Is this true? Were they undone by the pandemic? Also, I would love to read or see a YouTube video comparing the Helix Ultralight vs. the new Brompton T-line. If I bought a Helix in NYC and it broke, good luck finding someone to fix it. Brompton, however, might not be as swift but with its long legacy and own store in the city, at least I would have a reliable place to take it for tune-ups and repairs. Though the Helix is stealthy, I'm torn as to which bike I'd rather have.
Old 05-14-23, 09:46 PM
Double0757

Bikes: 1984 Cannodale full touring bike, Giant full carbon dura ace, Belinsky frame Tandem

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Happy with my Helixs.

I was backer 340 and I did get a bike for $1200.00!!! The second was a pre-order and I ended up paying more for the ultra light upgrade, which turns to be about $2700.00 for the ultra light. I got my first bike, 3 month into the pandemic. As an essential worker I was flying all over the world with the Helix (which most airlines allowed me (at that time) to put it on the overhead). It was the greatest experience I ever had with a bike, ridding in the middle of big cities streets that where empty! I couldn’t have done with regular bike. Taking an Uber to downtown, riding for a couple of hours and then Uber back to hotel. LA, NYC, and smaller cities where all ghost towns and I had the lanes for myself! It was a truly unique experience! I have ridden a Brompton and the helix is as comfortable as the Bromptons I have ridden. However the helix is way more stable than the Brompton and lighter. IMHO the Helix is worth it’s money! Specifically the ultra light. My wife 5’2” can carry the 20.5lb frame with no problems, and she is 61. I believe if you buy it now is about $4200.00 or about. It’s not cheap! The quality of the joints, the engineering and the selection of components, is in another level! The ultralight come with tubeless tire, which makes the ride way more comfortable than most tube 700 thin tires. I see years going ahead for Helix, IMHO they have value in their bikes. I’m a happy customer! Draw backs: wish the handle bar tube be a little longer and an a light electric option would be available soon.
Likes For Double0757:
Old 05-15-23, 12:29 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
I'm not sure there's years going ahead for Helix. Both models are currently unavailable and the News portion of the website hasn't been updated for over a year. If you have one, enjoy it!
Old 05-21-23, 04:06 PM
LannyPots

Bikes: Bike Friday, Brompton, Fuji SL-1, Giant TCR2r, Helix Folding Bike, NYCBikes Moustache, Raleigh R600, Time Fluidity, XACD Custom Titanium Road Bike

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
The Helix backers' portal is active and getting updates. They were (January 2023) in midst of welding bikes through ~#2500. There were just over 1000 backers so...it's getting there. I was lucky to get mine 2 years ago. It rides great, not twitchy. IMHO better than the Brompton or the Bike Friday. I let my Bike Friday go as a result. Good safe riding everyone.
Likes For LannyPots:
Old 05-22-23, 11:22 AM
Hrodwolf

I contacted them to see if they were still active.
They replied! They said they were focusing on manufacturing and the next batch was scheduled for August/September.

In my opinion, they are neglecting the communication part of their business.
You can have the best product in the world, but if no one knows about it, you won't sell much.
Old 05-24-23, 09:44 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

They really do need to communicate on the website, it looks abandoned. I also haven't gotten an email update in years, I'm on their 'subscribed' list.
Old 05-28-23, 11:13 PM
Robmac123

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
They really do need to communicate on the website, it looks abandoned. I also haven't gotten an email update in years, I'm on their 'subscribed' list.
Communication has been a huge problem from the very start of the Kickstarter campaign IMO. I asked a couple of simple questions back then, but got no reply, so never became a backer. I know at least 3 other people who have emailed specific questions over the last few years with a view to buying bikes, but heard nothing, so didn’t buy any bikes. With an expensive purchase you need to feel comfortable not just with the product, but with the person/company you’re sending a chunk of your hard earned money to. Would you send a company $3000odd when you can’t get a reply to a pre purchase question ? Aside from still not having the answer you needed, it erodes away confidence in the company massively.
So many deadlines missed, and things (like the fenders and other accessories) way past the published ‘available from’ date with no update or communication. Such a shame that this undermines such a great product. It really wouldn’t take long to send out an email to subscribers, update the website, or even just keep a Facebook page up to date with some info.
Old 06-02-23, 07:50 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 713 Times in 341 Posts
Originally Posted by LannyPots
The Helix backers' portal is active and getting updates. They were (January 2023) in midst of welding bikes through ~#2500. There were just over 1000 backers so...it's getting there. I was lucky to get mine 2 years ago. It rides great, not twitchy. IMHO better than the Brompton or the Bike Friday. I let my Bike Friday go as a result. Good safe riding everyone.
Can you tell us a little more about the comparison to your Bike Friday? I have a Pocket Rocket and it rides like a full-size bike.
Old 06-02-23, 05:17 PM
LannyPots

Bikes: Bike Friday, Brompton, Fuji SL-1, Giant TCR2r, Helix Folding Bike, NYCBikes Moustache, Raleigh R600, Time Fluidity, XACD Custom Titanium Road Bike

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Helix Comparison

Originally Posted by john m flores
Can you tell us a little more about the comparison to your Bike Friday? I have a Pocket Rocket and it rides like a full-size bike.
Sure will try. As background I consider myself a roadie but urban spaces mean I’ve had experience with lots of folders.

I had a Bike Friday Companion. Rode better than any other previous folder of mine (and I guess by that I mean that it approximated my road bike geometry best). If I rode smooth tarmac, it was fine. But it didn’t take much to make me aware that I wasn’t on my road bike – uneven sidewalks, dirt paths in a park, small potholes or speedbumps, a loaded rear rack, going uphill – all impacted the ride. Mostly showing that the relatively unweighted front - with that giraffe of a stem riser - combined with a small wheel to be twitchy. I don’t get those sensations with the Helix. It is probably pilot error, but I never figured out how to ride hands-free on the Bike Friday (or any other folder). I can on the Helix.

The other thing is probably more aesthetic but the Bike Friday doesn’t have the most elegant ‘fold’. Rather it kinda scrunches down into a pile. While the Brompton and the Helix fold neatly like origami. And I can push either around when folded so convenience/utilitarian points. Not any of the above is scientific, so take it with a grain of salt. To me, the Bike Friday is a folding bike that approximates standard riding experience. The Helix is a standard bike that happens to fold (and fold really well).

Last edited by LannyPots; 06-02-23 at 05:56 PM.
Likes For LannyPots:
Old 06-05-23, 12:13 PM
mlau

Bikes: Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 44 Posts
Just to toss in a rock,

Has anyone compared this to a Swift folder? I'm heavily thinking of getting an Origami Swift (pending seeing early reviews and justifying biking to work.
Not sure if this is better? It folds smaller. However, my first really good bike was a Xootr Swift, so it holds a dear place in my heart.
Old 06-06-23, 12:26 AM
Joe Remi

Originally Posted by mlau
Just to toss in a rock,

Has anyone compared this to a Swift folder? I'm heavily thinking of getting an Origami Swift (pending seeing early reviews and justifying biking to work.
Not sure if this is better? It folds smaller. However, my first really good bike was a Xootr Swift, so it holds a dear place in my heart.
I would say the Swift will be significantly cheaper and different; "better" depends on what you need from a folding bike. The Swift won't be as compact but it uses easily (and cheaply) available standard bike parts, and the bars/stem are easily swapped to a position you prefer without messing up the fold.

I'd grab that new Origami any day over the elusive and expensive Helix.
Old 06-06-23, 06:43 AM
Hrodwolf

The Helix fills a special niche. If compactness and weight are not your top priorities, buy the Origami Swift.
t's much cheaper and available.
Old 06-06-23, 11:19 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Hrodwolf
The Helix fills a special niche.
Honestly, I wonder what niche the Helix fills ?
- lightweight: its not, a Brompton T-line weight much less.
- compactness folded: its not, any Brompton is much smaller folded.
- utility folding bike: its not, there are no rear rack, no front bag carrier, nothing to carry anything on Helix, no dynamo lights on Helix, no efficient mudguards. Actuality, none of the accessories an everyday cyclist needs and which are available for the Brompton, the Birdy, several Tern and many others folding bikes.
- fast folding bike: its not, no fast tires available, no drop bar... Tyrell, Bike Friday, Airnimal, (and probably the new Origami Swift) are much faster folding bikes.

What else ???
Old 06-07-23, 01:04 PM
Hrodwolf

I meant the Helix Ultralight.

It's a titanium bike, and yes, it's a niche category because it's not an affordable bike.

- Lightweight

7.95 kg for the Brompton T-line, 9.2 kg for the Helix Ultralight.

Considering that the standard weight of a folding bike is 12-13 kg, the difference is not significant.

All the more so as the T-line has a lower-end transmission.

- Compactness folded

T-line: 645mm x 600mm x 320mm (25.4'' x 23.6'' x 12.6'')

Ultralight: 635mm x 711 x 267mm (25.0" x 28.0" x 10.5")

Again, the difference is not significant. The Helix is less wide when folded, which is important in some situations.

- Utility folding bike

There is still no official range and this is a bad business decision.

However, a big advantage of the Helix is that they have a non-proprietary approach, unlike Brompton.

Helix claims that their bike is compatible with the widest range of accessories on the market. This is probably true, as the Canadian couple used the Helix on their bike trips in Portugal and Greece.

- Fast folding bike

I don't know, it seems fast enough.

As with everything in life, you have to compromise and buy the product that best suits your needs.

Helix has a strong card to play in the market, but their products need to be available and promoted.

Vello seems to be successful and has interesting bikes.

The more competition there is in the market, the better it is for everyone.
Old 06-07-23, 03:27 PM
Jipe

The weight comparison is not valid: the T-line at 7.95kg is fully equipped with mudguards and lights while the Helix is not and nevertheless the Helix is 16% heavier.

Helix also uses and requires proprietary parts: its front hub is proprietary, impossible to mount a dynamo hub, there is no space for mudguards, it would require proprietary mudguards that do not exist. It doesn't accept a standard rear rack, a proprietary one is needed that doesn't exist.

For traveling, Helix doesn't accept a standard rear rack and standard pannier and there are no proprietary racks or front bag carrier available while these exists for the T-line and many others folding bikes like the Birdy (that weight 10.2kg in its lightest version, this without ultralight components nor tricks like Tubolito and ultralight fragile tires and accept standard Ortlieb or Vaude rear pannier and front low riders).

Everybody who followed this very long topic know the value of the claims of the Helix owner !

Last edited by Jipe; 06-07-23 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-07-23, 03:50 PM
LannyPots

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
re: speed

I shy away from claims of speed, since it's usually down to rider. I don't know of any folder that has been put through its paces in a wind tunnel nor do I want to see Kamm tail forms on a folding bike. Re: speed - I find the website bikecalc helpful to estimate speed based on gearing, cadence, and wheelsize. Comparing Brompton 16 inch wheel & Helix 24 inch wheel at 42x11 gearing and cadence of 90rpm yields a 7mph difference in favor of the Helix. Sorry haven't hit threshold for embedding images or websites yet. Too, I would think that the twitchy unstable ride of the Brompton means wasted watts directed away from forward motion. In any case, neither machine is what I would swing a leg over to tackle a time trial but not sure where the notion that the Helix is slower comes from. Per current website info, Brompton T Line (4 speed) is $5500USD while the Helix ultralight (11 speed) is $4500USD, giving Helix plenty of $ to lower the weight for anyone inclined to do so. Anyway, you can't go wrong with either bike or the Bike Friday. Heck just get a folding bike and enjoy the sun. Good riding season everyone.

Last edited by LannyPots; 06-07-23 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-08-23, 12:11 AM
Jipe

The higher weight of Helix comes from its frame and heavy helicoidal folding system. The ultralight Helix already uses lightweight components and it won't be possible to lower its weight while the 7.95kg of the T-line includes components like mudguards and lights not present on the Helix that should be removed to make a fair weight comparison.

The frame of the T-line weight less than the Helix frame and smaller wheels with equivalent components weight also less.

Moreover, components of the T-line like the brakes are the same as on the other Brompton and aren't lightweight, so it will be easy to reduce the weight of the T-line.

If performances is the goal there are much more efficient folding bikes than the T-line.

And wheel size is not the dominant parameter that define a bike efficiency, other parameters like tires construction, width, pressure, frame efficiency, position on the bike... have much more influence on efficiency than a 40% wheel size difference (compared to the T-line 35x349 wheels) or 28% difference (compared to a Birdy with 50x355 wheels) or 20% difference (compared to 40x406 wheels of a fast folding bike like a Tyrell or a Pocket Rocket). The problem of Helix is that there are no high performances tires in ETRTO 40x507 or less that fit on the Helix.

BTW, the Helix has no real 24" wheels, real 24" wheels are ETRTO 51x507 wheels while Helix cannot accept tires above 40mm, its a 38x507 folding bike so something like a 23" folding bike.

Last edited by Jipe; 06-08-23 at 12:25 AM.
Old 06-08-23, 11:56 AM
Hrodwolf

There's more to a bike than its weight.
Sure, the T-Line is the lightest. It's also ultra-niche. Who would go touring on a T-line?
I would argue that the weight difference is not significant unless it's the primary criterion.

Each bike has its own advantages and disadvantages.
You have to set your priorities and choose accordingly.
I tried the T-line, a great deception. The Birdy was much more satisfying. The Helix? If only there were more reviews.
Old 06-08-23, 01:36 PM
Jipe

Fully agree with you: since the delivery of the first bikes to the early backers and their reviews, almost no more reviews and even no feedback from people having bought any of the Helix of the production batch (including Ultralight Helix) at the full price, no information if these bikes were delivered in time nor delivered at all ?

For remembrance, the discussion started with the claim that Helix fills a special niche without explaining which special niche Helix fills!?
Old 06-08-23, 10:24 PM
LannyPots

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
All I can relate is that I favor the Helix over the Brompton and the Bike Friday. Have also had A-Bike (a mistake), Strida, Bickerton, and a Dahon previously in my stable. Those have all gone through the years. My experience with the Helix is such that were I faced with the initial purchase choice, I would not look at any folders with a sideways hinge or anything smaller than a 24" wheel. I hope that's not a recency bias on my part; I don't think so as I spent just as much on the other bikes as on the Helix. These days the Bike Friday has been sold. OneBrompton has been given to my wife, and another given to a family member. So the Helix is the only folder left. It's a better ride for my ~10 mile commute which was do-able but a bit of a slog on either the Bike Friday or Brompton.

re: efficiency (previously mentioned as speed)
If I rolled up to my Saturday morning group ride on my 24" Helix and told the guys that I was going to beat them on their 700c road bikes, they'd look at my cassette, my single 42 front chainring, and my tiny wheel and laugh; then they'd ride me off their wheel even more than they usually do. All things being equal, in the world of upright bikes, I am not aware of "tires construction, width, pressure (that's some magic tires to erase a 7mph deficit), frame efficiency, position on the bike" that I can apply to the 24" Helix that will surmount the speed deficiency compared to the 700c bike. I could hang with or beat them with the small wheel were I on a fairing recumbent but then it's apples and oranges.

The one thing I do find unfortunate is that Helix hasn't been able to scale up quickly. But completely understandable given current headwinds. I'm guessing no one laments that more than Helix's founder. Still, they're on pace, based on the last update, to complete all deliveries by end of July. Hoping Q3 rolls out new products etc. There's lots of good favorable feedback on FB for Helix - Hong Kong Helix Club especially has some cool mods. Alternative wheelsets (at least one carbon set that I saw), handlebars, racks, etc. Lots of pics showing off-road use with occasional bikecamping. It doesn't seem to be holding folks back from enjoying the bike on any terrain. And it is actually encouraging a bit of creativity in personalizing the bike. Which is something that can be said for the Bromptons and Bike Fridays of the world too. So pick your poison and drink hearty.
Old 06-09-23, 12:05 AM
Jipe

May I ask you some questions:
- are you a backer or did you buy your Helix later on?
- do you have the ultralight Helix?
- how tall are you?
- what tires do you use on Helix?
- you mention people who changed the wheels of their Helix, were did they find the Helix proprietary lefty front hub?

Last edited by Jipe; 06-09-23 at 03:42 AM.
Old 06-09-23, 03:41 PM
LannyPots

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
The first questions seem irrelevant.
Wheelset: Unfortunately I don't read Cantonese, so I can't tell you where they got the wheels.
But I think at least one has a wheelset from a site called wheel angel dot com
They have a helix specific carbon wheelset
Thanks all. I'm done with this thread.
Good riding.
Old 06-09-23, 04:29 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by LannyPots
The first questions seem irrelevant.
Wheelset: Unfortunately I don't read Cantonese, so I can't tell you where they got the wheels.
But I think at least one has a wheelset from a site called wheel angel dot com
They have a helix specific carbon wheelset
Thanks all. I'm done with this thread.
Good riding.
Thanks you. We don't get to hear much about the Helix.
Old 06-09-23, 05:02 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 713 Times in 341 Posts
I admire the Canadian couple touring with their Helixes. I'd consider it but would be wary of finding 24" tires while on a long trip.

A 20" Helix though....
Likes For john m flores:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.