Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Do You Worry About Your Heart?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Do You Worry About Your Heart?

Old 10-30-19, 07:48 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
And use what?

If it is important to you, get your heart rate zones (and V02 max) professionally measure. My zones are nothing like what the generic charts say they are. You may be average, or you may not be.
Old 10-30-19, 08:12 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
For a while I was having problems when riding. I didn't know if it was my heart or not so I took things easy until I could get a good doctor. I've been without a doctor for a number of years. As it turned out my blood pressure is a bit high but not that bad. My problems on the bicycle stemmed from my gut pressing into my diaphragm when riding the drops or riding a low drop bar. As I'm losing weight those problems are getting less and less.

Cheers
Old 10-30-19, 09:23 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Instead, I concentrate on avoiding the obvious dangers on the bike. That takes up the space which worry might occupy.
This. And if there are no obvious dangers to worry about, I can start thinking about where to refill water bottles and maybe get a snack.
Old 10-30-19, 09:52 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 1,382 Posts
Originally Posted by fly135
Yeah I know... The crazy things that people believe. BTW, have you met Jesus?
The usual way is by going all out up a long hill to find your max HR. Some say they see Jesus right as they hit max. Me, I see Moses.
Old 10-30-19, 11:20 AM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 35 Posts
At some point in time - maybe around October of 2034 - some one will come to discover that "heartbeat rate" - commonly known as heart rate - is not synonymous or analogous to heartbeat stress.

Heart stress is more likely related to the volume of blood being pumped to the aorta and pulmonary vein. (body and lungs) in conjunction with the resistance of all the associated blood vessels.

This means that "stressful heartbeats" have quite a bit to do with blood vessel resistance and the possibility of subsequent poorly oxygenated heart muscle tissue.

I would suggest trying to sprint up a long steep hill directly after pigging-out at a six hour Superbowl party - your mileage may vary....... or you could shovel snow on a cold morning while worrying about being late for work.
Old 10-30-19, 11:23 AM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse I just finished a book entitled The Haywire Heart - How Too much exercise can kill you, and what you can do to protect your heart.

It's written by athlete cardiologists and Lennard Zinn, who many may know from his books and technical articles on cycling.
Don't want to start a new thread but does anyone have recommendations to finding one of these "athlete cardiologists"? Mine sure is not tuned into athletes. His lobby is filled with people who have major heart issues. For me, as I age, I am losing more and more each year. I sometimes wonder if I have some sort of blockage. My cardio does not think so since the way I ride a bike is not causing any pain or discomfort etc. I have a heart cath about 10 years ago that showed nothing. All my other vitals and blood work are normal to him although I do have HBP.I'd just like to find a cardio that is more in tune with athletes but I can't seem to locate any or am not searching correctly. FWIW, I live relatively close to a heart center in the Charlotte area but no one is really listed as being an "athlete cardiologist".So, anyone have any ideas?john
Old 10-30-19, 04:49 PM
edscott.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Statistically, more of us will succumb to heart disease than any other cause. We can try to mitigate the odds with our diet and behavior but we can't control genetics.
I'm in the high cholesterol genetics group. And yes, you can do something about genetics. In my case it's just a matter of eating raw beetroot. That has got me down from 254 to 200 (anthocyanin effect). Apart from the healthy side effects, it's great to carry on a long ride instead of industrialized goey energy bars. It has a sh*tload of energy and fiber to keep the release into the bloodstream at a measured pace. Combine it with jicama, lime and salt and it also kicks in against dehydration. Carry it in a ziplock bag and eat it with a plastic fork or chopsticks when the group ride stops for this or that reason. And that red color that drips down onto my white beard really raises some eyebrows.
Likes For edscott.:
Old 10-30-19, 05:54 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by rutan74
Originally Posted by terrymorse I just finished a book entitled The Haywire Heart - How Too much exercise can kill you, and what you can do to protect your heart.

It's written by athlete cardiologists and Lennard Zinn, who many may know from his books and technical articles on cycling.
Don't want to start a new thread but does anyone have recommendations to finding one of these "athlete cardiologists"? Mine sure is not tuned into athletes. His lobby is filled with people who have major heart issues. For me, as I age, I am losing more and more each year. I sometimes wonder if I have some sort of blockage. My cardio does not think so since the way I ride a bike is not causing any pain or discomfort etc. I have a heart cath about 10 years ago that showed nothing. All my other vitals and blood work are normal to him although I do have HBP.I'd just like to find a cardio that is more in tune with athletes but I can't seem to locate any or am not searching correctly. FWIW, I live relatively close to a heart center in the Charlotte area but no one is really listed as being an "athlete cardiologist".So, anyone have any ideas?john
You raise an interesting point. I know quite a few doctors and have seen others as a patient. IMO the first reaction of a doc like a cardiologist is, "Get out of my office if you aren't in danger of dying of whatever in the near future, because I have plenty of folks in that position sitting in my waiting room while I talk to you." Triage, just like you saw. That said, I'm sure there are cardiologists attached to the big sporting labs. Think money.

There are several things that can cause problems other than blockages, but those will probably show up on an EKG or simple physical with a stethoscope. Your cardio is mostly likely correct. Not profitable to second-guess your doc.

It's normal to lose cardiovascular ability with age. It just happens. All you can do is to do what you can. I noticed it starting to really fall off at 64. At 74, the year-by-year difference is noticeable, and I'm aging slower than most.

You can try taking 1g of sodium nitrate every morning for your BP. Not a big cure, but it helps, same as drinking beet juice. Ask your doc.
Old 10-30-19, 06:16 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by Richard Cranium
At some point in time - maybe around October of 2034 - some one will come to discover that "heartbeat rate" - commonly known as heart rate - is not synonymous or analogous to heartbeat stress.

Heart stress is more likely related to the volume of blood being pumped to the aorta and pulmonary vein. (body and lungs) in conjunction with the resistance of all the associated blood vessels.

This means that "stressful heartbeats" have quite a bit to do with blood vessel resistance and the possibility of subsequent poorly oxygenated heart muscle tissue.

I would suggest trying to sprint up a long steep hill directly after pigging-out at a six hour Superbowl party - your mileage may vary....... or you could shovel snow on a cold morning while worrying about being late for work.
I'm not sure that this is true. There's a possibility that the same hormones/chemicals which increase HR also relax the arterial walls, the endothelium releasing NO. That's an interesting conjecture. I looked into it a little, but no solid info.
Old 10-30-19, 06:35 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Why are you "half dead" at 64?
Because he plans to live to be 128. 64 is halfway there.
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 10-30-19, 06:58 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
Because he plans to live to be 128. 64 is halfway there.
Nah ... aging isn't linear. We all know it accelerates every year. I'm nearing the cliff myself. lol

Old 10-31-19, 12:27 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Although this isn't directly relevant to your question, I was listening to an article on the radio talking about top tier cyclists needing to have a HR monitor with an alarm while they sleep. Apparently their resting HR is so low that they can die in their sleep. When their HR drops too low the alarm goes off and they have to start exercising to increase their HR.
I believe this was more of an issue in the early days of EPO doping. EPO produces more red blood cells, which essentially thickens the blood; if that happens to a cyclist who already has a lower-than-normal resting HR, then yes, sleeping can pose risks.

As for the OP's question: an annual physical should reveal heart problems; if there are none, I don't see any reason why vigorous exercise would pose a problem. In fact, my physician seems rather pleased at the amount of cycling I'm doing.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-31-19, 07:43 PM
fly135

Bikes: iZip E3 Peak DS, Magnum Metro, GT Tachyon, K2 Sidewinder

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
Took my new HR sensor out for a 2nd longer ride today that had some hills. Got my max HR (161) slightly above the 220-age rule (220-64=156) that I should ignore.

Old 11-01-19, 05:40 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Took my new HR sensor out for a 2nd longer ride today that had some hills. Got my max HR (161) slightly above the 220-age rule (220-64=156) that I should ignore.
You should definitely ignore that "rule." I'm 56 years old, and my max recorded HR this year was 187. And no, I didn't die.
Old 11-01-19, 09:05 AM
fly135

Bikes: iZip E3 Peak DS, Magnum Metro, GT Tachyon, K2 Sidewinder

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
You should definitely ignore that "rule." I'm 56 years old, and my max recorded HR this year was 187. And no, I didn't die.
Still trying to sort this out. I was googling "max hr" to see what your HR means overall. One article (link below) says that you shouldn't be able to maintain "zone 5" (i.e. HR >= 90% Max) for more than a short period. If you take out the first mile my avg HR would be over 150 for 35 minutes. So 150/89% (zone 4) would be a max hr of 168. So I still haven't achieved my max hr apparently.

This ride was a lot of work. I typically ride an eMTB even though it's not off road. Got my HR sensor and decided to take out the regular road bike I bought as a fixer upper in June to learn out to work on bicycles. Finally got around to putting the new tires on it last Wed, and figured I'd put my self to the test.

https://www.polar.com/blog/running-h...-zones-basics/
Old 11-01-19, 09:16 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
I'm 58, and no, I don't worry about my heart. Should I? I have very low cholesterol as a result of genetics. I've spent my entire life at or very close to my ideal weight.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-01-19, 10:13 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,980 Times in 4,451 Posts
Still trying to sort this out. I was googling "max hr" to see what your HR means overall. One article (link below) says that you shouldn't be able to maintain "zone 5" (i.e. HR >= 90% Max) for more than a short period. If you take out the first mile my avg HR would be over 150 for 35 minutes. So 150/89% (zone 4) would be a max hr of 168. So I still haven't achieved my max hr apparently.

This ride was a lot of work. I typically ride an eMTB even though it's not off road. Got my HR sensor and decided to take out the regular road bike I bought as a fixer upper in June to learn out to work on bicycles. Finally got around to putting the new tires on it last Wed, and figured I'd put my self to the test.

https://www.polar.com/blog/running-h...-zones-basics/
Your max hr is just that, the highest rate you can achieve when at full effort. Sprint up a steep hill as hard as you can should give you your max. It doesn't matter what some chart says. We can all have different rates even if we have the same age. or someone older can have a higher rate than someone younger.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-01-19, 10:17 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
Don't want to start a new thread but does anyone have recommendations to finding one of these "athlete cardiologists"? … FWIW, I live relatively close to a heart center in the Charlotte area but no one is really listed as being an "athlete cardiologist".So, anyone have any ideas?john
I found one by chance; he put my stent in, and turned out to be a cyclist himself. (I've passed him a couple times as we commute to work since then!)

My best idea is to find some cardiac nurses, and ask them if any of the cardiologists in town are athletes. Probably doesn't have to be a cyclist. Most doctors are like most people -- they'll spend an awful lot of time doing things that involve sitting down. The ones who bike to work, or run races, are so unusual that word gets around. The best of these will be the ones who follow the literature and think critically about journal papers, newspapers, and web articles. If you can find one of these, arrange to get an appointment ASAP (it may be a few months if you're not dying).
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 11-01-19, 10:18 AM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
I wear a heart rate monitor when I ride so that I can see what my heart rate is if I start feeling funky while riding. If my heart rate is too high and I can keep riding I try to switch gears to an easier gear and lower my cadence until my heart rate has gone back down, or I coast for a bit. I try not to stop riding, but at times I have to (like when I go over my max heart rate of 174 for a couple minutes and my brain is telling my body it needs more Oxygen... you know that can't get a good breath sensation).
Old 11-01-19, 12:51 PM
rutan74

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
You raise an interesting point. I know quite a few doctors and have seen others as a patient. IMO the first reaction of a doc like a cardiologist is, "Get out of my office if you aren't in danger of dying of whatever in the near future, because I have plenty of folks in that position sitting in my waiting room while I talk to you." Triage, just like you saw. That said, I'm sure there are cardiologists attached to the big sporting labs. Think money.

There are several things that can cause problems other than blockages, but those will probably show up on an EKG or simple physical with a stethoscope. Your cardio is mostly likely correct. Not profitable to second-guess your doc.

It's normal to lose cardiovascular ability with age. It just happens. All you can do is to do what you can. I noticed it starting to really fall off at 64. At 74, the year-by-year difference is noticeable, and I'm aging slower than most.

You can try taking 1g of sodium nitrate every morning for your BP. Not a big cure, but it helps, same as drinking beet juice. Ask your doc.

Well, you pretty much hit the nail on the head describing my cardio. He sees me and pretty much says what are you complaining about? I'm 63, have done 3 centuries, climbed Mt Mitchell 4 times and countless other rides but I do worry a bit just as this thread says. Maybe I am being overly picky but since my riding friend has gone thru so much and he is younger and since I was cathed 10 years ago, I do get a bit worried at times.

Look, I am not dying out there but I know when things are not right or at least don't feel right. Just a huge power loss. No pain or shortness of breath, just no power mid ride sometimes. Maybe it is just the aging process and maybe it is not. I simply would like to know. My cardio will not do the tests since it is not warranted by any of my current factors which means insurance won't pay for it either.

So, in my case I guess I just carry on. Yes, I do realize that a 60 year old heart will not pump as much blood as a 30 year old heart. I know as you age, arteries become less elastic and hardening of the arteries begins. I know all this so I am torn between the aging thing and is there anything I should be worried about. The problem I see is finding a doctor, especially one that deals with runners etc., is really hard. I could try and find the cardio group or MD that deals with the Charlotte Panthers but I have not looked into that yet. There are big groups around the university area in Raleigh, but that is a 2 hour ride for me.

It is just a problem for many of us. Foot doctor? No problem. Orthopedic? I have one that is a cyclist. Cardiologist? Nope, only for the really bad heart problems.

john
Old 11-01-19, 12:55 PM
rutan74

Originally Posted by pdlamb
I found one by chance; he put my stent in, and turned out to be a cyclist himself. (I've passed him a couple times as we commute to work since then!)

My best idea is to find some cardiac nurses, and ask them if any of the cardiologists in town are athletes. Probably doesn't have to be a cyclist. Most doctors are like most people -- they'll spend an awful lot of time doing things that involve sitting down. The ones who bike to work, or run races, are so unusual that word gets around. The best of these will be the ones who follow the literature and think critically about journal papers, newspapers, and web articles. If you can find one of these, arrange to get an appointment ASAP (it may be a few months if you're not dying).
Thanks. I will start to ask around. I seriously doubt I would need a stent but again I don't know. My data from 10 years ago said I was clean, under 10 percent plaque. So, that was 10 years ago. I am sure things have changed since then or at least they could have changed.

I'd just like a cardiologist who understands the athlete, that is all.

john
Old 11-01-19, 01:03 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

<snip> Look, I am not dying out there but I know when things are not right or at least don't feel right. Just a huge power loss. No pain or shortness of breath, just no power mid ride sometimes. Maybe it is just the aging process and maybe it is not. I simply would like to know. My cardio will not do the tests since it is not warranted by any of my current factors which means insurance won't pay for it either.<snip>

john
Do you use a HRM? What's happening there when you lose power? HR goes way down, skyrockets, stays the same as when you had good power? I know that when I lose power, I need to eat, preferably about 100 cal. of very fast carbs, like a gel or Shot Blok - even if I don't feel hungry. Have you tried that? My power drop is accompanied by a HR drop.

Edit: I meant to write 100 calories, corrected that.

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 11-01-19 at 04:04 PM.
Likes For Carbonfiberboy:
Old 11-04-19, 09:44 PM
fastcarbon

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
Do you worry about your heart

At 77 my resting HR is in the low 40's and I continue to wake up in the morning; my max HR has unfortunately dropped by 10 beats due to an anti Arrhythmic drug I take due to a doctor giving me a med that caused Ventricle tachycardia . Because of that I also have an implantable cardiac defibrillator that has never gone off. I guess it is a safety valve in a way. "The Haywire Heart" is good reading but I am not sure what good it is to a competitive cyclist. My heart is structurally 100% but I have had electrical problems over the last 10 years including A-Fib and Atrial Flutter which started with years of time trialing at 96-98% of max heart rate. My electrophysiologist keeps me on the bike with cardiac ablations when necessary. As long as I can stay with the competitive 50 year olds I am happy. I still train with power and use software that keeps me from over-training.
Old 11-04-19, 09:55 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Thanks very much for that, @fastcarbon. Glad you are still able to do it after all that electrical trouble. And I would venture to offer that you may be one of the safest riders on this board, given that you now have an AICD on-board. That thing is literally a life-saver.

Keep after it. And thanks for the inspiration. I have some health issues of my own at a mere 55 and it seems unlikely I will know what it's like to ride at 77. But you never know...
Old 11-05-19, 12:29 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
My doc's eyebrows raised when I told him about my older brother's mini-strokes he got when he was 58 or so.

I told him my brother was morbidly obese, diabetic, ate terribly and got zero exercise, but he seemed to think it made sense to get a corotid ultrasound anyway.

Almost $200 and not payable through insurance, and I thought it was probably a waste of time/money.

The results showed my IMT to be in the 25th percentile for people my age.

That's it ... no more cardiac tests for me for a while. I'm going to find something else to worry about. There are plenty of other things on that list.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.