Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

6 Houston area cyclists injured by pranking truck driver

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 10-15-21, 11:22 AM
rdlange73

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Spring. TX is the same. Saw a lady on a yellow bike a few days ago, pulling a kiddy trailer complete with flags and blinkys on the back. 10 min later on the way back saw the bike trashed on the side of the road, blinkys still on. No cops, no EMS, just the bent bike and twisted trailer. Riding on sidewalks is prohibited and enforced of course..
Many more than I can remember over the years here, mostly school kids pushed off the road by impatient commuters.
Why I never let my kids ride around here.
Cynical? Wow... been run down twice, coded in the ER first time... limp forever now, but the drunk was 'connected' too, Not even arrested for DUI. Destroyed my shoulder the second time. They just kept on going as usual. .
Likes For rdlange73:
Old 10-25-21, 10:59 AM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
One month later and no word on the ongoing investigation (that I have seen). I wonder what, in their most wildly optimistic dreams, the officials investigating this are hoping to find that will vindicate this young Texan. Though I should not be, I will admit to being surprised at how quickly this faded from the media. I'm still ranting to myself, this one story seems a little more special than the usual carnage.
Likes For venturi95:
Old 10-25-21, 11:06 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by venturi95
One month later and no word on the ongoing investigation (that I have seen). I wonder what, in their most wildly optimistic dreams, the officials investigating this are hoping to find that will vindicate this young Texan. Though I should not be, I will admit to being surprised at how quickly this faded from the media. I'm still ranting to myself, this one story seems a little more special than the usual carnage.
I'm not sure that's quite the right question to ask, but I get where you are coming from. They shouldn't be trying to find anything to either vindicate or exonerate him. They should simply be on a quest for all relevant facts. I can't envision a scenario in which they couldn't have already learned all they need to learn.
Old 10-25-21, 11:14 AM
chancelucky

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
If they haven't arrested the guy, have they at least taken away his driving privileges while they "investigate"?
Old 10-25-21, 11:18 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

I just looked at Waller PDs Facebook page. The pressure is still being applied.
Old 10-25-21, 12:13 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I just looked at Waller PDs Facebook page. The pressure is still being applied.
"Pressure" on who by whom?
Old 10-25-21, 12:24 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
"Pressure" on who by whom?
Do you use Facebook?
Old 10-25-21, 12:53 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Do you use Facebook?
Not for anything useful.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 11-08-21, 05:10 PM
Bulette

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 49 Posts
Wouldn't this be more relevant if posted in the thread that discussed this incident?

Felony charges.

https://www.bikelaw.com/2021/11/felo...jhoQYFdxaaf0nM
Likes For Bulette:
Old 11-08-21, 07:16 PM
grizzly59

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Took 42 days. Or so.
Old 11-10-21, 08:51 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly59
Took 42 days. Or so.
Given the severity of what happened, that isn't so bad. When I got hit three years ago the MO Highway Patrol took four weeks just to finish the investigation and all the paperwork. Then we had to wait for a judge to rule if Cass County could prosecute since the defendant (a cop) was an employee of the county. The judge ruled there was a conflict of interest, so the case got sent to Platte County (just north of Kansas City), and their prosecuting attorney wasn't able to file the single misdemeanor charge until late December (five months after the incident).
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 11-10-21, 09:21 AM
chancelucky

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
the article from the lawyers for the victims explains why the decision to prosecute might have been a bit slower; the DA had to decide whether to charge the driver as an adult. It sounds like they did.
Old 11-10-21, 09:30 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Took 42 days. Or so.
A virtual electronic lynching conducted by an outraged mob on social media is much faster, no need for any legal niceties.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 11-10-21, 11:39 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
A virtual electronic lynching conducted by an outraged mob on social media is much faster, no need for any legal niceties.

Who got virtually lynched here? What does that even mean? The guy's lived to see his charges and will face trial, lynching is a rather either/or proposition that prevents that from occurring.

You rail on and on about inflammatory language, yet you see fit to post hyperbolic crap like that. Given the facts as reported, people were quite reasonable in saying that if he remains uncharged, it would be a travesty. No one I'm aware of suggested stringing him up. I'm sure you'll dig up the one or two kooks that did, and try to tar everyone who's commented on the case with that brush.

I get that you have to grind your particular "bias" axe, but dude, pick your battles. This one's making you look like a total crank.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-10-21, 11:41 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Took 42 days. Or so.

That's warp speed in felony-land.
Old 11-10-21, 02:48 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
There were questions earlier about the social standing of the parents. So far the kid hasn't been identified.

But, does anybody know who the parents are, identified as "Jason and Jennifer Arnold". Is there anything that would make them "special" with respect to the city/county?

There are taxes here:
Waller > Property Search Result

Nothing strikes me as too outrageous, at least for West Coast standards.

There are a couple of mentions of "Arnold Deer Processing" in the taxes which is a small market tucked in behind DiIorio Farmer's Market. But, no guarantee of any relationship to either business.

City/County ties?
Old 11-10-21, 03:23 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by CliffordK
There were questions earlier about the social standing of the parents. So far the kid hasn't been identified.

But, does anybody know who the parents are, identified as "Jason and Jennifer Arnold". Is there anything that would make them "special" with respect to the city/county?

There are taxes here:
Waller > Property Search Result

Nothing strikes me as too outrageous, at least for West Coast standards.

There are a couple of mentions of "Arnold Deer Processing" in the taxes which is a small market tucked in behind DiIorio Farmer's Market. But, no guarantee of any relationship to either business.

City/County ties?
https://www.thedailybeast.com/teen-d...stock-breeders

Is livestock breeder a big deal in Waller County?
Old 11-10-21, 04:11 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
https://www.thedailybeast.com/teen-d...stock-breeders

Is livestock breeder a big deal in Waller County?

Sheep and Goats? I was expecting you to say a one million acre cattle ranch.

Kids in 4-H, or the equivalent. Hard to say, it all depends on the size of the operation.

The address above just points back to a house registered under Jason Arnold on 2.16 acres.

The Daily Beast article does mention "Venison" (as I had suspected), so I would imagine the meat packing pays the bills, and the sheep and goats are for the kids.
Old 11-10-21, 04:54 PM
teejaywhy

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Who got virtually lynched here? What does that even mean?...
Unfamiliar with social media?
Old 11-10-21, 05:11 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by teejaywhy
Unfamiliar with social media?
I am very familiar with social media.
​​​​​Are you too ignorant of what a real lynching is to understand how silly the concept of a virtual lynching is? In what sense has this kid been killed? People said some mean things about him and wanted him charged, you really want to claim that's the equivalent of being murdered?

I know "virtual lynching" is a cliche, all the more reason to call out its inanity when someone trots it out.

Someone specify exactly how this kid was treated unfairly by anyone, he's going to get his day in court.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-10-21, 05:27 PM
Bulette

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 49 Posts
There is an Arnold on Waller City Council, and another Arnold is a local lawyer. Any relations are speculative, but the lawyers and DA have loosely hinted at such.

The poor investigation on scene has already been acknowledged. The 'delay' in charges seems reasonable: from my understanding, to try Junior as an adult required passing the evidence by a Grand Jury.

Since the driver is being charged as an adult and caught charges for all six cyclists struck, the outcome is fair enough so far. This is certainly more justice than many other cyclists ever receive.
Old 11-10-21, 06:13 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by JW Fas
The disciplinary challenge here is two-fold. On one hand the 16-year-old needs to be punished for his actions. On the other hand, his parents bear responsibility for not raising him properly.
My solution? Require the kid to pay restitution for the replacement value of the bicycles plus the cyclists' medical bills, BUT don't reinstate his license until restitution has been paid in full. That means the kid will have to work a while to acquire the money, and his parents will be forced to drive him to his job every day. It appropriately punishes all parties for their failures.
Pretty silly.
Do parents that raise proper children deserve bonuses or leniency in similar cases?
Old 11-11-21, 07:50 AM
teejaywhy

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
I am very familiar with social media.
​​​​​Are you too ignorant of what a real lynching is to understand how silly the concept of a virtual lynching is? In what sense has this kid been killed? People said some mean things about him and wanted him charged, you really want to claim that's the equivalent of being murdered?

I know "virtual lynching" is a cliche, all the more reason to call out its inanity when someone trots it out.

Someone specify exactly how this kid was treated unfairly by anyone, he's going to get his day in court.
Easy now Francis. Find a safe space then look up "hyperbole."
Old 11-11-21, 07:51 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Punishment should include a period of traffic control at the site of his offence.
Old 11-11-21, 08:09 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by teejaywhy
Easy now Francis. Find a safe space then look up "hyperbole."
Yeah, no. Nice tell on the safe space thing where your politics lie. I guess the irony of telling people to lighten up AND using a word like lynching is lost on you, huh?

Seriously, have we really gotten to a place where "woke mob pressure" is supposed to be a defense to assault with a deadly weapon that very nearly killed 6 people?

BTW, hyperbole IS inflammatory language, that's the whole point. When you call somebody a member of a "virtual lynch mob", you are likening them to a murderer. The poster I was responding to has been the Francis in Chief regarding the supposed "inflammatory" language that's been used against someone who actually has drastically impaired the lives of several people, and damn near killed them.

Suggest you stop playing like you know so much more about the real world than other people, you're contradicting yourself right and left (well, maybe right more than left). You can't be ok with using "virtual lynch mob" AND telling people to "lighten up". Those two things are completely incompatible.
Likes For livedarklions:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.