Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Helmet Innovation - Commuting Survey for School

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 04-10-23, 10:50 PM
StudentCommuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Hi, as part of our coursework for school, my teammate and I are researching bike helmets and accessories related to riding/commuting on a bicycle. Our product relates to helmet innovation and considers the use of a Heads-Up Display (HUD). We are wondering if the fine folks of this forum would be willing to take a survey for us.

This 5 minute survey will ask you to rate your preference for certain helmet bundles, and assumes you are interested in a new and innovative helmet. Please take the survey if you are interested in helmet innovation, or are at least willing to put yourself into that perspective to take the survey. My teammate and I will perform a conjoint analysis of the results to determine what specific features are worth. We thank you in advance if you are willing to take the survey. All responses are anonymous.

https://marquette.az1.qualtrics.com/...ktZZlLouEHUYbY
Old 04-11-23, 04:42 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 328 Posts
I see price point is your key variable in the survey.

FWIW, I would pay up to $125 for a MIPS in a conspicuous color that has generic connection points for forward and rear lights and mirror. Before MIPS came out Bell was making some models that were approaching this specification but they have been discontinued. My context is commuting.

I prefer to attach my own widgets, but helmets with generic attachment provisions are getting harder to find.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 04-11-23, 07:41 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 165 Posts
I just need a helmet, MIPS is preferred, good ventilation. Other distractions aren't needed, in my opinion, but if you want to make it really functional, you should make it reliably paired with Bluetooth LE hearing aids. But really, people need to get away from devices, rather than have them further integrated into their lives. Just my $.02 though.
Old 04-11-23, 09:59 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Gee, I've never realized that I had a blind spot when cycling.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 04-12-23, 09:54 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
I've taken the survey.

Here's my helmet. I'm guessing with all the accessories, it'll be over $150. The rear-facing camera is on the bike.

I wouldn't be looking for a new helmet with all that stuff included but a helmet with provisions to mount them. That's my biggest problem when I was trying to mount all that stuff on.

Last edited by Daniel4; 04-12-23 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-12-23, 04:27 PM
Cscottdavis

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bicycle commuter helmet

First, completed your survey. Hope it helps with the class.

Second, felt compelled to express my own opinion. Apologize in advance for my regrettable lack of self-control.

BLUF: I would pay around $150 for a moderately well ventilated, MIPS helmet with generic mounts (i.e., GoPro or Garmin style) for front and rear lights, mounts for an optional (additional $20 - $40) vizor/eye shield, and a mount for an optional (additional $20 - $50) helmet mounted mirror.

I would like to reiterate the idea of being able to mount my own choice of accessories to the helmet.

Mounts for front and rear facing lights are a must for me. Getting a flashing light as high off the ground as possible seems a no-brainer when commuting on the road. Trek’s Bontrager Circuit does this, but it is largely tied to their “blendr” light mounting system.

I would also like to be able to add/remove a vizor/eye shield for cold weather. Something with a quick release or magnetic mounts seems ideal. Something along the lines of the Lazer Urbanizer MIPS helmet, but not necessarily an urban style helmet. This item could be sold as an option / repair part for $20 - $40.

Have never ridden with a helmet mounted mirror but would be open if the helmet came with a quick release or magnetic mounting scheme. The mirror could be sold as an option / repair part somewhere between $20 - $50.

Personally, I am intrigued with the idea of a rear facing camera with some sort of HUD display. However, I would probably not buy it at any price point until such a helmet had a good track record with people I know and trust. All those electronics – if poorly executed – can end up as a lot of non-functional weight.

Hope this helps.
Likes For Cscottdavis:
Old 04-12-23, 05:12 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
no way a HUD will bel light yet. or cheap. my Lumos helmet is 150.00 and is somewhat light.
Old 04-12-23, 06:24 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Not certain if I'll skew the results but I'm in the integrating any electronics into a helmet that's designed to be disposable, to be a stupid idea. I'll echo the rest who say that adding integrated mount points for lights, camera and ancillaries would be a good move though what I'll pay, that's in the air. I commute to attempt to be healthier and more environmental over driving, and part of what I like about regular rides is leaving the modern inconveniences home. Adding batteries and electronics to a disposable item is counter to those ideas.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 04-12-23, 10:38 PM
StudentCommuter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks everyone for taking the survey and providing your perspectives. The additional comments help us out and validate in-depth interviews we've had (albeit with a small sample size given the short length of a semester). Initially, we hypothesized that features such as speed/cadence/nav etc would be what commuters want, but after interviewing, it became clear that most commuters are interested in safety foremost. Any added 'entertainment' feature was not necessary. Anything related to conspicuity was helpful.

We'll leave the survey open for another week. I look forward to reading more discussion here, viewing the results, and running the conjoint analysis. Thanks again!
Old 04-13-23, 05:44 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 328 Posts
Originally Posted by Cscottdavis
…Getting a flashing light as high off the ground as possible seems a no-brainer when commuting on the road. Trek’s Bontrager Circuit does this, but it is largely tied to their “blendr” light mounting system…

Have never ridden with a helmet mounted mirror but would be open if the helmet came with a quick release or magnetic mounting scheme. The mirror could be sold as an option / repair part somewhere between $20 - $50….
My current helmet, with strong headlight not shown mounted in photo:

I use mirror mounted on right because I combined it with a left-mount handlebar mirror.

Bell sold a mirror that fit this visor, but it was worthless (too small, plastic optics). I much prefer generic attachment points because a helmet brand can’t offer good quality accessories at a competitive price.

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Not certain if I'll skew the results but I'm in the integrating any electronics into a helmet that's designed to be disposable, to be a stupid idea. ….Adding batteries and electronics to a disposable item is counter to those ideas.
I agree that building expensive components into a fragile, short-life object will likely struggle in the market.
Old 04-13-23, 03:09 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
I took the survey. If they were real MBA students, wouldn't they be finding ways to convince us that we need all that tech?

Helmet is good, light mounts and visor are good (especially in the winter when the sun is in my eyes). Anything else just adds unnecessary weight and cost for little to no benefit. All of this already exists.

OP, I'm guessing you commute by car, otherwise you'd know that bike commuters are like antelope in that we're already hyper alert to possible danger around us.
Likes For Korina:
Old 04-21-23, 09:01 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I’ll be honest, a heads up display it feels very retro. Like something from the 80s. From some Japanese pre-Lexus turbo wonder coupe with a bunch of red LEDs
Old 04-30-23, 01:41 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 127 Posts
For about four decades now, I've been bike commuting without a helmet or other gadgets (lights are on the bike, of course).

Very few people use a helmet for commuting in my city (we do have awesome cycling infrastructure and a relatively high number and percentage of cyclists, though not as high as Amsterdam).

Relja