Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Friction Shifter at Stem Quick Release

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-23, 09:25 PM
P.L.Jensen
Pedal Pusher

Bikes: 1970 Peugeot PX-10 single speed - 1992 Ibis Cousin It Tandem - Zizzo Liberte’ Folding Bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 82 Posts

I modified a Sun Race friction shifter to mount at the stem height quick release bolt… The handlebars can go up and down and the shifter stays in the same place… This position reduces cable length and results in crisp shifting… It also frees up handlebar space…

The Sun Race shifter cost less than $10…:Typically these are thumb shifters… To mount it at the QR bolt, I used tin snips to trim the attachment bands and drilled one hole for the QR bolt to pass through… The opposite side of the band is slotted and fit at the barrel bolt on the QR lever side… Time invested: 15 minutes…

I’m running a Campy drivetrain on my Zizzo Liberte so I also modified the metal shift lever to accept a Campy rubber shifter cover and used a similar Campy lever pressure wing bolt… Nice to have a goor friction shifter that is good looking and works great…

Likes For P.L.Jensen:
Old 04-14-23, 08:30 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 843 Times in 587 Posts
A picture where you actually step BACK from the bike, showing the whole shebang, would be greatly appreciated,...
Old 04-14-23, 08:59 AM
P.L.Jensen
Pedal Pusher

Bikes: 1970 Peugeot PX-10 single speed - 1992 Ibis Cousin It Tandem - Zizzo Liberte’ Folding Bike

Zizzo Liberte’, primarily a bike for traveling and exploring after we have driven there in a car… Here I am out on a local ride to the State Park…

The look last summer… 20 x 2.4 tires…

What it looked like a few days ago…

Phil front hub, Box brakes, Campy Athena crank, Double sided pedals, Campy Record RD…
Likes For P.L.Jensen:
Old 04-15-23, 09:27 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
That bike is amazingly clean!
Old 04-15-23, 04:33 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 843 Times in 587 Posts
Wonderful!!! Enjoy the riding sir!!!
Old 04-15-23, 07:24 PM
univega.duder

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Wow - I've never seen a Zizzo so thoughtfully built up. Looks great with the Phil hubs and Box brakes and Brooks saddle. I'd love to see a photo showing the whole bike with your new friction shifter placement. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-15-23, 10:10 PM
P.L.Jensen
Pedal Pusher

Those are the stock Zizzo rims that I wet sanded off all the black paint before having the new hubs laced…
Likes For P.L.Jensen:
Old 04-25-23, 07:32 AM
P.L.Jensen
Pedal Pusher

Originally Posted by univega.duder
I'd love to see a photo showing the whole bike...

Finally, a dry day for a few photos…

I’ve thinned down my herd of bikes to this Zizzo, my 1970 Peugeot PX-10 single speed, and our 1992 Ibis tandem… My bases are covered…

The drop bars with the Cinelli extensions offer better hand positions than the stock flat bars, even with Ergo style handgrips…

The height adjustable stem makes changing from a more upright, flat town cruiser position to a dropped down, go-fast, beat the wind fast bike…

The Cinelli bars have small finger hooks that offer a nice lightly locked in, over the stem grip… I find myself with my second finger on the hook with my index finger on the orange pads…

Campy drivetrain… The chainguard ring is a 53 tooth chainring with the teeth ground and sanded off…Schwalbe 1.5” Marathons… Folding pedals…

Last edited by P.L.Jensen; 04-25-23 at 07:37 AM.
Likes For P.L.Jensen:
Old 04-25-23, 08:08 AM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 92 Posts
The bike looks great! I’m also modifying a Zizzo Liberte but need it to fold as well as the stock version. How well does your bike fold with the drop bars? Can you provide a picture? Thanks.
Old 04-25-23, 08:18 AM
P.L.Jensen
Pedal Pusher

Rarely fold it… We only do that when we put our matching pair in the Subaru… Even with the drop bars and Cinelli extension, it gets small enough… The folding pedals really help makes it more compact…

Unfolded, the Zizzo is just plain fun…!!!… Light, nimble, quick… Perfect for a daily driver in our flat, small, seaside town with close to zero traffic… When we go out of town to explore towns and cities, the lightness and nimbleness are really appreciated…

Ill get a folded picture later today…
Likes For P.L.Jensen:
Old 04-26-23, 07:51 PM
SteveKB

Bikes: Giant Escape 3, Giant Halfway FD806, Giant Cadex CFM3, ZiZZO Liberté

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 34 Posts
Your ZiZZO Liberté mods are very impressive!
Old 05-13-23, 08:27 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Bicycle fully-folded with drop-bars:

With a Tern Loader2 cargo rack that I added later, that handlebar-fold isn't compatible. The bicycle still folds at the frame, though, and still fits in the cargo-hold of every car I've needed it to.