Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Advantageous super foods, and after exercise intakes

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-23, 05:35 PM
TLit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts

What foods or drinks do you consider invaluable for your exercise routine? I would think there are some quite dedicated and disciplined cyclists on this forum who stay in top shape--how do you do it?
After a workout, how do you relax? Water, fruit drinks, teas, superfoods or drinks such as kombucha? How much of a problem is a pint or so of beer after exercise, some of the IPAs for example have 8% alcohol or more?
I've gotten into the habit of drinking a lot of yerba mate which has caffeine and other stimulants. How would you rate that as a drink for fitness compared to green tea?

Are green drinks such as barley grass juice and other green powders in general advantageous to maintain good stamina?
Old 05-18-23, 09:25 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
None, though an intake of the 3 macros in appropriate quantities for the exercise regimen being practiced is essential. The way top cyclists stay in shape is lots of exercise, riding, gym, and maybe a little walking and running. XC skiing in winter is helpful, too. Alcohol is not a great idea, though it's nice to relax with friends and a beer after a long, strenuous ride. I limit it to one a week, though I know riders who drink a couple beers every evening. I don't think there is a drink or food which one consumes for fitness. One rides for fitness. More riding is better than less. 5000 miles/year is a good number, seems adequate. Some use hours, 400/year is another good number. A coffee or mate before a ride can be helpful. IME green tea and other drinks don't do anything noticeable.
Old 05-18-23, 09:35 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
The ultimate recovery drink is chocolate milk.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 05-18-23, 09:47 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Mostly just tap water.

Perhaps once per week after my hard ride, I will make a smoothie as a treat.

3 eggs, milk, several oz of OJ, Vanilla Whey, ice, Virgin Coconut oil, 2-3g HMB, 1g NMN, banana, 1-2 tbsp local honey, cinnamon.
Old 05-18-23, 10:18 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6187 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
What you need for overall health and what you need while riding are two different things. It's too easy to blur the line between healthy and unhealthy when the time spent riding a bike is only a small part of a person's life.
Old 05-18-23, 02:23 PM
TLit

I probably consume too much yerba mate, usually organic, make it in a coffee maker; I add herbal teas like Tulsi and Peppermint to that. I was consuming too much ginger, I can get it for $3/# was grinding up around a pound a week. Some concerns on whether raw herbs like that may have some residues even if organic. I'm big on good herbs such as organic garlic. I've been trying to reduce weight. Probably less cheese, beef would be better.

Last edited by TLit; 05-18-23 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-18-23, 02:25 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4377 Post(s)
Liked 3,013 Times in 1,863 Posts
there are no magic foods.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 05-18-23, 03:40 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
With regard to beer there are some good tasting ones that have fewer than 100 calories and 4 grams of carbohydrate. They are often refered to as "keto beers". Fruit juice is never a healthy choice under any circumstances unless you are using a juicer and consuming the pulp as well as the liquid.
Old 05-18-23, 04:17 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Superfoods are a scam a marketing gimmick, there is no such thing as superfoods... A post workout window is a myth.....Just eat a normal diet which includes a variety of real foods and that is all that your body needs.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 05-19-23, 06:11 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,988 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Superfoods are a scam a marketing gimmick, there is no such thing as superfoods... A post workout window is a myth.....Just eat a normal diet which includes a variety of real foods and that is all that your body needs.
Apart from the cynical tone, I kind of agree with this. I don't think there is a scientific definition of what a "Superfood" actually is. So it's just a buzzword for something that might be considered healthy or contain a wide range of nutrients.

Anyway, foods I find useful for training are chicken, fish, vegetables, nuts, rice, chocolate and milk. Coffee (in moderation) is also essential for my daily routine. Alcohol is pretty much a disaster for fitness in any meaningful quantity, so I generally avoid it. I also fuel my long/hard rides with energy bars, gels and energy drinks (I pick the most natural versions I can find). I don't take any supplements/vitamins etc.

Last edited by PeteHski; 05-19-23 at 06:20 AM.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-19-23, 09:58 AM
TLit

Originally Posted by Calsun
With regard to beer there are some good tasting ones that have fewer than 100 calories and 4 grams of carbohydrate. They are often refered to as "keto beers". Fruit juice is never a healthy choice under any circumstances unless you are using a juicer and consuming the pulp as well as the liquid.
Absolutes about having to juice vegetables or fruits to really get a proper nutritional benefit are impractical--and I've had one of the best juicers out there, the Norwalk juicer press and used to juice alfalfa and radish sprouts in a Porkert non-electric juicer. For the purists, organic certified or by "neglect" may be essential. Personally at this stage in my life store bought orange juice of good quality is good enough. Pure water remains the best drink.

The juices and drinks to avoid are those that are patently unnatural such as Gatorade which may have a certain type of "electrolytes" but is highly artificial as a typical corporate crap product.
Old 05-23-23, 01:42 PM
DB77

Bikes: Ribble Endurance 725, Giant Contend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
The ultimate recovery drink is chocolate milk.

ewww....that's nasty.
Old 05-25-23, 09:01 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts
Dried apricots during ride. Mike's mix after.
Old 05-25-23, 09:29 AM
TLit

Originally Posted by DB77
ewww....that's nasty.
Only if it's the typical corporate junk chocolate milk with corn syrup. If you get the quality product, organic milk with some quality chocolate and sweetener it's a good quality drink. It is all proportion; even an excess of something can be offset with water.
Old 05-25-23, 12:57 PM
DB77

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TLit
Only if it's the typical corporate junk chocolate milk with corn syrup. If you get the quality product, organic milk with some quality chocolate and sweetener it's a good quality drink. It is all proportion; even an excess of something can be offset with water.

To each his own but I think drinking milk is disgusting.
Old 05-25-23, 01:02 PM
GhostRider62

To each his own but I think drinking milk is disgusting.
I think your comment is disgusting.

Wait, let me guess. You're vegan. Want to know how I about your food?
Old 05-25-23, 01:27 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Yeah, I don't think anyone on the planet appreciates unsolicited evangelism for whatever it is they personally champion, including the anti-milk guy. Does he want me to bend his ear about riding recumbents (see what I did there?)?

Back on topic - I have had chocolate milk at every single controle so far this spring - on the 200K, 300K, and 400K so far. The 600K is this weekend. Gonna be drinking lots of chocolate flavored cow udder excretions. Yum.
Old 05-25-23, 06:48 PM
TLit

Originally Posted by Steamer
Yeah, I don't think anyone on the planet appreciates unsolicited evangelism for whatever it is they personally champion, including the anti-milk guy. Does he want me to bend his ear about riding recumbents (see what I did there?)?

Back on topic - I have had chocolate milk at every single controle so far this spring - on the 200K, 300K, and 400K so far. The 600K is this weekend. Gonna be drinking lots of chocolate flavored cow udder excretions. Yum.
I agree, some people process foods that others don't. Others such as vegans and Seventh Day Adventists see some type of religious backing for their stands.

Frankly I like a hamburger or steak from time to time. Or as others would malign it, the decomposing flesh of dead animals. For some all fish is "smelly" for others when it is quality and prepared right it is quite nutritious, but from what I've heard the healthiest ones are the smallest and swim the fastest like sardines and anchovies.
Old 05-25-23, 07:06 PM
GhostRider62

I am udderly bent

GL on the 600k, now McKeesport is disgusting and I can say that because my GF ran all the sports betting there and recall fondly being covered in "coal dust" as a kid from the Stil Mils
Old 05-26-23, 06:35 AM
DB77

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62

Wait, let me guess. You're vegan. Want to know how I about your food?

I'm not a vegan. I eat meat and dairy all the time and also think vegan food is disgusting. I just think drinking milk by itself tastes nasty. I guess i didn't need to bother saying to each his own in my last post if you're so sensitive.
Old 05-26-23, 06:35 AM
DB77

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

What exactly was I "evangelizing" about?
Old 05-26-23, 06:49 AM
TLit

I'm not a vegan. I eat meat and dairy all the time and also think vegan food is disgusting. I just think drinking milk by itself tastes nasty. I guess i didn't need to bother saying to each his own in my last post if you're so sensitive.
Many people are raised to like or not like certain things. Nutrition science has advanced greatly. I read an article about zeta potential in water I found interesting recently: https://amidwesterndoctor.substack.c...onship-between

Gandhi in his health guide spoke about various aspects of health, ultimately concluding like John Milton that health really lies in the mind and with us by avoiding unhealthy things and liking good things.

I find meat analogues to be distasteful. I like all natural foods. If you don't like milk, do you like milk alternatives?
Old 05-26-23, 07:01 AM
DB77

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TLit
Many people are raised to like or not like certain things. Nutrition science has advanced greatly. I read an article about zeta potential in water I found interesting recently: https://amidwesterndoctor.substack.c...onship-between

Gandhi in his health guide spoke about various aspects of health, ultimately concluding like John Milton that health really lies in the mind and with us by avoiding unhealthy things and liking good things.

I find meat analogues to be distasteful. I like all natural foods. If you don't like milk, do you like milk alternatives?

I've had fake meat too and don't care for it. I like standard whole fat cow's milk in stuff and actually drank a ton of it as a kid. For some reason I have grown to hate the taste of milk by itself in a glass as an adult and the mere thought of drinking a glass of it stirs a vomit sensation in the back of my throat. Like I said...it's just a personal preference; wasn't meant to be a personal attack.

However the so called food that elicits my greatest disdain is by far raisins. They are the most god awful things ever known to mankind. Sometimes I'll be in a bakery and see something that looks good only to find out, upon closer examination, that it has raisins in it. I won't lie, for a brief moment, the thought of burning the bakery down to protect the rest of mankind flashes through my mind.
Likes For DB77:
Old 05-26-23, 03:42 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 82 Posts
What exactly was I "evangelizing" about?
Nothing, apparently. I assumed your posts weren't completely pointless, but I was wrong.
Old 05-26-23, 05:08 PM
DB77

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Nothing, apparently. I assumed your posts weren't completely pointless, but I was wrong.
Are you in the habit of acknowledging or responding to every completely pointless post you come across?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.