Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

A year in the making

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

A year in the making

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-23, 09:16 AM
jaxy357

Bikes: '23 Specialized Roll 3.0 low entry, '84 Bridgestone 300, '84 Centurion Le Mans 12, Free Spirit project bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 40 Posts
A year in the making

It has taken me a long time to have two bikes set up for commuting; one near my home and the other near my work. Multimodal commuting makes for some challenges to figure out. Folding bike didn't have the umph I needed for getting over the pedestrian bridge to the train station, tried out a few options, broke at least one rack, etc. etc.
But today I successfully chained up my "home" bike at the station near my house, then hopped on board, read a little of my new book (getting fired up about infrastructure, okay?) and hopped on my campus bike upon arrival. Got a shower at the gym, figured out the laundry service I just signed up for, ordered myself a bagel sandwich and coffee and was 3 minutes late to work. I think next time will be better. I used to arrive like 30 mins early from the train but now decided if I can be riding for part of that time, why not extend a little? No reward for workaholism, at least not that I'm interested in!

My fingernails got long while in France and now have bike grease under them, a badge of honor. Got a new (used) Park Tools repair stand in the garage and am figuring out how to service and maintain my vintage road bikes.
Old 06-07-23, 08:36 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Glad to hear you go it worked out and are now commuting.

Last edited by timdow; 06-08-23 at 08:07 AM.
Old 06-07-23, 11:21 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Well done! Also, it's a great read isn't it? I had trouble putting it down.
Old 06-13-23, 10:30 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
Cool commuter concept. I just hope your bikes don't get stolen or vandalized while being locked up at the station or campus. And I just ordered the book. Looking forward reading it.
Old 06-13-23, 03:02 PM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxy357
It has taken me a long time to have two bikes set up for commuting; one near my home and the other near my work. Multimodal commuting makes for some challenges to figure out. Folding bike didn't have the umph I needed for getting over the pedestrian bridge to the train station, tried out a few options, broke at least one rack, etc. etc.
But today I successfully chained up my "home" bike at the station near my house, then hopped on board, read a little of my new book (getting fired up about infrastructure, okay?) and hopped on my campus bike upon arrival. Got a shower at the gym, figured out the laundry service I just signed up for, ordered myself a bagel sandwich and coffee and was 3 minutes late to work. I think next time will be better. I used to arrive like 30 mins early from the train but now decided if I can be riding for part of that time, why not extend a little? No reward for workaholism, at least not that I'm interested in!

My fingernails got long while in France and now have bike grease under them, a badge of honor. Got a new (used) Park Tools repair stand in the garage and am figuring out how to service and maintain my vintage road bikes.
Enjoy the book! I've been watching lots of urban infrastructure videos on YouTube recently, and the Strong Towns organization is often referred to. Not Just Bikes and Oh the Urbanity are worth checking out if you haven't already.
I ride a 20" Swift folder and it's great at getting up hills. In fact I live in a mountainous area. Going anywhere involves hundreds of meters of up. I've ridden it more than 200km in a day over mountains no problem. In the city I like the small wheels which accelerate quickly which makes getting out front and visible at traffic lights easy. I think that folding bikes potentially have a lot of performance depending on gearing and the quality of the frame and other components.

Likes For joey buzzard:
Old 06-16-23, 11:08 AM
jaxy357

Bikes: '23 Specialized Roll 3.0 low entry, '84 Bridgestone 300, '84 Centurion Le Mans 12, Free Spirit project bike

I find there's strength in numbers and probably about 6 or 8 bikes left at the train station routinely for people doing the "first and last mile" thing by bike. The one near my house has the security station right in front of it and I have a U lock with cable to go through each wheel (Kryptonite brand) so I feel pretty okay about it so far.
Likes For jaxy357:
Old 06-19-23, 11:49 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxy357
I find there's strength in numbers and probably about 6 or 8 bikes left at the train station routinely for people doing the "first and last mile" thing by bike. The one near my house has the security station right in front of it and I have a U lock with cable to go through each wheel (Kryptonite brand) so I feel pretty okay about it so far.
As others have said, you don't have to have the perfect lock, just better than those around you.

How's the book going?
Old 06-19-23, 11:57 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
2 bikes & a train, one way. wow, great. wishing you good weather!
Old 06-23-23, 11:15 AM
jaxy357

I honestly stopped reading it for a while, pick it up from time to time. It's making me sad...
Old 06-26-23, 01:49 PM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2, 2017 Trek Verve 3, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 186 Posts
I used to do a multi-modal commute like that. My bike I left at the work end was apparently a bit too nice (Gary Fisher commuter) and it got stolen one weekend. That was heart-breaking. I had a heavy padlock and a heavy cable; the cable wasn't enough.

I tried it with a folder, Dahon Curve D2. beauty of a bike, but it had bad wheels and I sold it off. It was slower, but did have a nice low gear for hills.

One bike I have now might do you OK: Lectric XP Lite folder. Fold it and put it in a bag for the train. It's heavy at 44 lbs. but the electric assist would make quick work of the hills and if you just take it a little easy, you could skip the shower step and all of its support gear. When you get to work, lock it outside or roll it inside, depending on the situation there.

Now, I'm lucky enough to live 2 miles from work, so I only need the one bike.

It's cool that you're working on learning how to wrench. I need to get a bike stand soon for that; it can be frustrating doing it without. I also want to get a trailer hitch installed on my car so I can bring the heavier eBikes with me for rides further away from home.
Old 06-26-23, 01:53 PM
jaxy357

Lil update: I've been driving to the train station lately because I'm having some mechanical problems with my "home" bike. So no shower anymore, lol. I looked at some of those folding e-bikes and was put off by the weight. Something to ponder. Sorry to hear about your stolen bike, Smaug1!!
Old 06-27-23, 07:44 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2, 2017 Trek Verve 3, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 186 Posts
Oh, bummer. No local bikeforumers to help out? I'd volunteer if I were closer.

Free Spirit: that's a brand name I haven't seen since my childhood. Does it hold some good memories for you?

I'm not familiar with Bridgestone or Centurion.
Old 06-27-23, 08:05 AM
jaxy357

Originally Posted by Smaug1
Oh, bummer. No local bikeforumers to help out? I'd volunteer if I were closer.

Free Spirit: that's a brand name I haven't seen since my childhood. Does it hold some good memories for you?

I'm not familiar with Bridgestone or Centurion.
I volunteer at the local bike project but am sometimes nervous that someone will say something if I'm always working on my own bikes instead of customers' bikes...but that's in my head mostly because other volunteers routinely bring theirs in to use the tools and get feedback on issues they're experiencing.

I actually don't have any particular attachment to my project bike, the Free Spirit, except that it's pretty cool looking (though taken apart at the moment).