Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

mtb single speed chain tensioner that is really awesome.

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-01-10, 06:17 PM
Lebowski
bikes are sexy

Bikes: [2008 specialized allez tripple], [2006 Specialized hardrock sport], [1998 Robinson Rebel], [1980's vintage schwinn ministing], [2008 specialized epic comp] - [2009 origin8 scout 29er], [2005 KHS DJ200]

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've tried plenty of single speed tensioners on my mountain bikes over the last couple years. All of them have sucked.

Right now I am running a Surly Singlator (which i heard was the best around), It skips quite often, especially when the bike returns to the earth after a bunny hop or something. I had it checked out at the LBS, the chain is the right length, its not like its super long and slack. The chain line is just dandy also. I've got a single speed set up up front, no ramps on the big sprocket.

Does anyone know of a good single speed tensioner that is made for a MTB? It would need to have horizontal adjustability as i am running a single gear on an 8/9 speed hub w/ spacers.

I've seen a few online that looked legit but it appears that they lack the capability to be adjusted side to side to correct the chain line.

budget is $100 or less.

:edit:
by the way this is the bike it's going on

Attached Images

Last edited by Lebowski; 03-01-10 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-01-10, 07:06 PM
silver_ghost

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Honestly, the best "chain tensioner" I've used is an old short cage Shimano derailluer with high limit screw holding it in place. If you can put up with the drag from the extra pully wheel () it's a good way to go. Cheap or free from the LBS used parts bin.

How many teeth does your rear cog have? I've found anything smaller that 17 or 18 can skip even with a decent tensioner.
Old 03-01-10, 08:24 PM
LarDasse74

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I have a Shimano Alfine chain tensioner and it is the Cat's Meow... except it is not easy to adjust side to side - it has an extra long mounting bolt that can be used with more or less spaces depending on chainline requirements.
Old 03-01-10, 10:45 PM
5b00

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you tried putting the Singleator in the "push up" configuration?
Old 03-02-10, 12:53 AM
Lebowski
bikes are sexy

Bikes: [2008 specialized allez tripple], [2006 Specialized hardrock sport], [1998 Robinson Rebel], [1980's vintage schwinn ministing], [2008 specialized epic comp] - [2009 origin8 scout 29er], [2005 KHS DJ200]

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 5b00
Have you tried putting the Singleator in the "push up" configuration?
no i have not, maybe i should try that. i think the sprocket is 18t
Old 03-02-10, 01:15 AM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
You might want to try a fixed tensioner like the Rennen for a jumping/play bike. Never tried the fixed type myself. Tried the Surly, the Paul melvin and the old derailleur locked out with a couple inches of cable.

Old derailleur really was the most functional of the bunch. With the derailleur setup with a piece of cable you can adjust it with the barrel adjuster if it gets tweaked on a ride.

I did get the Surly to stop hopping around by removing the side plates and having it push up. That and cranking the spring tension. I found my frame would not allow push up mode without removing the fancy side plates, they hit the chainstay.

Fixed style tensioner: https://www.rennendesigngroup.com/rollenlager.html
Old 03-02-10, 09:36 AM
Lebowski
bikes are sexy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wesmamyke
You might want to try a fixed tensioner like the Rennen for a jumping/play bike. Never tried the fixed type myself. Tried the Surly, the Paul melvin and the old derailleur locked out with a couple inches of cable.

Old derailleur really was the most functional of the bunch. With the derailleur setup with a piece of cable you can adjust it with the barrel adjuster if it gets tweaked on a ride.

I did get the Surly to stop hopping around by removing the side plates and having it push up. That and cranking the spring tension. I found my frame would not allow push up mode without removing the fancy side plates, they hit the chainstay.

Fixed style tensioner: https://www.rennendesigngroup.com/rollenlager.html
that tensioner looks really awesome but it doesnt look like it can be adjusted side to side. can it?
Old 03-02-10, 01:54 PM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
They say the adjustability is that the roller is wide to allow different chainlines. In practice I think folks are respacing the roller as I think it's just mounted with a bolt and spacer. No experience with it myself but that's what you see on street/dirt jumping bikes around here.
Old 03-02-10, 02:13 PM
silver_ghost

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
DMR makes a tensioner very similar to that Rennen one. My girlfriend has used one for years without complaint, although her riding is more commuting than dirt jumping.

Try the Singleator's "push up" mode before you buy anything new.

Has anyone ever used a chain tensioner made by Yess that mounts at the bottom bracket, like a freeride chain guide, and pushes the chain up toward the chainring? They look like they might be neat, although a pain to adjust.
Old 03-02-10, 02:45 PM
lubes17319
Chronic 1st-timer

Bikes: ...take me places.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Singleator pushing against (the only way to use them) the cog = WIN.
....and this was w/a ramped cog from a torn-apart cassette.

Mine even had a little extra oomph, courtesy of a stalk of broccoli.
Old 03-02-10, 07:16 PM
tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another non spring loaded single wheel chain tensioner is the one made by NuVinci for use with their CVT hub. The pulley floats on a relatively long shaft to accommodate different chainlines.
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/
Old 08-27-17, 03:58 PM
Crowmagnum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A couple years late but the DMR product works really well for what this gentleman was looking to do. Only thing is it does wear out after about a year of hard riding but for $20 not an issue.
Old 10-20-21, 06:07 PM
matheui

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Chain tensioner always great

Riders who are using a mountain bike, chain tensioner is a great thing for them. I saw some amazing collection of mtb chain tensioner to perform better in mountain areas.

You also can read that article, if you wish. Just search on Google