Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

N20(Nitrous) instead of CO2 cartridges?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

N20(Nitrous) instead of CO2 cartridges?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-13, 01:59 PM
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well I picked these up in the middle of the road yesterday while on a bike ride, so either someone had a lot of flats and had to use their NO2 cartridges, or something else is going on.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cartr.jpg (98.6 KB, 246 views)
Old 01-10-13, 02:01 PM
Airburst

Location: England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading

Bikes: Too many to list here!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by onespeedbiker
Well I picked these up in the middle of the road yesterday while on a bike ride, so either someone had a lot of flats and had to use their NO2 cartridges, or something else is going on.

Hmmmmm
Old 01-10-13, 02:02 PM
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Airburst
You have both quoted posts from 2004....
Well that's the thing about good information; it doesn't change over time.
Old 01-10-13, 02:05 PM
Airburst

Location: England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Well that's the thing about good information; it doesn't change over time.
And that post about gas dissolving in someone's bloodstream from a can of gas is just as much a load of bollocks now, I agree.
Old 01-10-13, 02:07 PM
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well it looks like google is paying attention to these posts

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
hmm.jpg (98.0 KB, 244 views)
Old 01-13-13, 05:22 AM
turbo1889
Transportation Cyclist

Bikes: Too many to list, some I built myself including the frame. I "do" ~ Human-Only-Pedal-Powered-Cycles, Human-Electric-Hybrid-Cycles, Human-IC-Hybrid-Cycles, and one Human-IC-Electric-3way-Hybrid-Cycle

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Darn, litter bugs!!!

I really don't care what they were using them for, if you want to fry your brain by huffing that's your biz and actually helps me in some ways (such as removing you from my pool of competition for jobs that require the employee to have a fully operational brain, etc . . .) and that picture shows six cartridges so if they are the big 16gram size an it was just one person depending on how fast they huffed them a fatal OD is possible and when it comes to people messing themselves over with drugs I consider fatal OD's to be one of the best possible outcomes of their free will choice for the rest of society.

But they should at least have the decency to recycle the cartridges instead of litter bugging with them. Same goes for the nuts who litter mountain bike trails with spent CO2 cartridges. Pack it in, pack it out and one of the good things about those cartridges is that they are made of good metal (often stainless steel for the food service grade CO2 cartridges which are the best ones to use anyway since there is absolutely no oil or other contaminates in the cartridge) which is not only recyclable but has a high value and you can get back a good amount of $ per pound when recycling them. A while back I bought 100 count of the 12g CO2 food service cartridges for about $50 and I got back a little under $10 when I recycled them because they were stainless steel (I use them for a lot more applications then just filling bike tires) so I got back nearly 20% of the purchase price for turning them in as recyclables, that's way better then the refund on pop cans even in the state with an extra nickle or dime bounty on them.
Old 01-13-13, 08:41 AM
Nerull

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gaijin
Attention science folks! Anybody attempted to use Nitrous Oxide (N2O) cartridges instead of Carbon Dioxide (CO2) in their pumps? It's a lot cheaper to buy a box of 'em at the local Smart and Final (or head shop for some of you!) and at the end of your ride you can suck the gas out of your tubes for a nice cool down! Would it be safe? Would it last in the tube?

Thanks--gaijin
It may be worth nothing that nitrous oxide is a strong oxidizer and may damage the tube or tire over time.

It's also worth nothing that nitrous oxide and rubber is also known as hybrid rocket motor fuel. Don't run over anything too hot.

If nitrous becomes contaminated with oil or grease, it can form an explosive mixture, so keep it away from those too.

A video of nitrous oxide not burning:

Last edited by Nerull; 01-13-13 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-13-13, 09:58 AM
Monster Pete

Bikes: 2000-something 3 speed commuter, 1990-something Raleigh Scorpion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
*Raises hand*

What's wrong with using air? Air is free.
Old 01-13-13, 07:08 PM
chuckb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselDan
Nitrous Oxide isn't explosive? How? It is used in drag racing in both Top Fuel and Funny Car and in some street classes as a "boot". Ever heard of NOS (Nitrous Oxide System)?

Nitrogen is used in race car tires and to power the pnumatic impact wrenches used to change tires in pit stops. I don't believe N is used in bike racing as you don't deal with near the extreme high tempatures. I'll just stick to CO2 for now.
Nitrous Oxide breaks down into N2 and O2 under heat/pressure. The extra O2 is what makes the extra power because you can put in more fuel and still get a stoichiometric mixture.
Old 01-13-13, 11:30 PM
turbo1889
Transportation Cyclist

Bikes: Too many to list, some I built myself including the frame. I "do" ~ Human-Only-Pedal-Powered-Cycles, Human-Electric-Hybrid-Cycles, Human-IC-Hybrid-Cycles, and one Human-IC-Electric-3way-Hybrid-Cycle

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Monster Pete
*Raises hand*

What's wrong with using air? Air is free.

The CO2 bike tire inflator units that use CO2 cartridges, including the size of the cartridge are usually in the size range of about 4-5 inches long by an inch diameter. You will be hard pressed to find a hand pump that is as small as only being twice that size (as in twice as long and same diameter) much less that small, and if you do you will find it takes like five minutes and several hundred pumps on the handle to get a single tire up to pressure and once you start pumping pressures above about 45-psi pumping can become annoyingly hard with those little pumps.

Long story short, a CO2 inflator allows you to carry something smaller then a pump that will inflate a tire in seconds and makes fixing a flat on the side of a road so much less of a headache. The main annoyance with CO2 being that it is slightly chemically soluble in rubber so if you don’t deflate the tire you patched on the road when you get home and pump it back up with a hand pump (a nice big hand or foot pump in the garage is no issue, its the small pumps that are a PITA) otherwise over a few days time the pressure will slowly go down as the CO2 slowly soaks through the rubber tube.

The best thing of all would be if they made N2 cartridges in the same size as the CO2 cartridges for a comparable price point. Such is not the case but they do make N2O cartridges so that be the kind under discussion as to whether or not they could work and not have the slow soak through problem that CO2 does.

If you want to carry a big frame pump or pump like crazy on a little bitty hand pump (and as a result often cause damage to the valve stem of the tube) instead of carrying a small CO2 unit that inflates quickly and easily that is your option but a lot of us like the CO2 inflator units for flat repair service on the side of the road. Nice and small little things that drop right into an under seat bag or other small bag and the price of a CO2 cartridge or two every once in a while is worth it to us to fix a flat quickly and easily and continue on our way with minimized inconvenience. And if there be a potential alternative in cartridge form with a different gas other then CO2 that will swap right in instead curious minds start to wonder how the other gas would work instead of CO2.
Old 01-13-13, 11:45 PM
pierce
S'Cruzer

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
a 16g CO2 cartridge inflated a nearly flat 700x25 to barely enough pressure to ride, nowhere near the 120psi it should be at.

so you'd need a whole lotta those CO2 cartridges if you have fat tires, whereas that one pump would just work and work and work.

I must say, I do not like those little short stroke pumps. gimme a nice full sized frame pump any day, like the old Silca Imperial on my old roadie. length of my seat tube, with a campy tip for presta valves.
Old 01-14-13, 03:04 PM
Monster Pete

Bikes: 2000-something 3 speed commuter, 1990-something Raleigh Scorpion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by turbo1889
The CO2 bike tire inflator units that use CO2 cartridges, including the size of the cartridge are usually in the size range of about 4-5 inches long by an inch diameter. You will be hard pressed to find a hand pump that is as small as only being twice that size (as in twice as long and same diameter) much less that small, and if you do you will find it takes like five minutes and several hundred pumps on the handle to get a single tire up to pressure and once you start pumping pressures above about 45-psi pumping can become annoyingly hard with those little pumps.
That makes sense, especially if you're running high pressure tyres. I use 1.9" tyres on my commuter so I can get them to an acceptable pressure with a hand pump is necessary, and am never really far from home where I can top up to full pressure. If you're on a longer journey where the reduced pressure would be a problem then I can also see why you'd want a blast of high-pressure gas.

I don't see why you would have any problems using N2O rather than CO2 in your inflator- it's essentially inert for the application we're talking about here and will pressurise the tyre. The scientific approach would be to inflate a tyre with CO2 and note the pressure loss over time, then repeat with N2O and compare the results.
Old 01-14-13, 05:25 PM
IthaDan 

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
https://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/20/us...-sky.html?_r=0

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang
Old 01-14-13, 05:25 PM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ngateguy
This is a direct quote I took from the "Emergency Response Guide Books" put out in conjuntion with the US DOT and their Canadian counterparts. It is used as a feild guide for emergency response teams. I posted it so people could see the risks involved with using either one of those products.
None?
Old 01-14-13, 05:44 PM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nerull
It may be worth nothing that nitrous oxide is a strong oxidizer and may damage the tube or tire over time.

It's also worth nothing that nitrous oxide and rubber is also known as hybrid rocket motor fuel. Don't run over anything too hot.

If nitrous becomes contaminated with oil or grease, it can form an explosive mixture, so keep it away from those too.

A video of nitrous oxide not burning:

Did you even read the thread?
Old 01-14-13, 07:04 PM
Airburst

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Medic Zero

Did you even read the thread?
Who cares, rockets!
Old 01-14-13, 07:26 PM
Nerull

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Medic Zero
None?
"Extremely flammable in the presence of the following materials or conditions: reducing materials and combustible materials." is not the same as none.

This thread is a wonderful example of why it's a good idea to read the entire MSDS and not just the first line. Pure oxygen is also listed as non-flammable. Oxidizers are non-flammable by definition. That does not make them safe.
Old 03-02-22, 09:24 PM
SzinNapalm

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This guy is actully correct

Originally Posted by Phatman
I thought it was because the Nitrous has more oxygen per volume then regular air, thus getting more air into the engine.

DieselDan, I think that racecar tires use helium in them to make them lighter and also the fact that helium resists the heat buildup better. I think that they would use helium in bike racing, except it leaks really fast (smaller molecule?) and there is not a whole lot of air in a bike tire anyway.

they use regular air in impact wrenches. it is just compressed with a compressor.
Listen to this guy he actullt has rhe right answers
Old 03-03-22, 08:57 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
In the almost 20 years since that was written, it doesn't seem like any others of us care to listen about the topic. And what you quoted might only be considered a side conversation about the topic.

Welcome to BF SzinNapalm ! Join the present day conversations.

Last edited by Iride01; 03-03-22 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-03-22, 09:06 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by GT_ATB32
would helium work in a tire???
we are running out of it so its not a good idea unless you write happy birthday on your tires.
Old 03-03-22, 01:07 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,819 Times in 1,540 Posts
Originally Posted by SzinNapalm
Listen to this guy he actullt has rhe right answers
leave the zombie threads sleeping please, if you are really interested, start a new thread, it will also help your post count

Old 03-04-22, 04:18 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
18 years later and we still do not have a definitive report of whether N2O cartridges work well as a CO2 cartridge substitute for tire inflation?
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 03-04-22, 08:53 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
If someone had some N2O cartridges and nothing better to do with them, then I don't see why they wouldn't just try them and see? Absolutely no need to get permission or encouragement from us.

N2O isn't flammable, explosive or a danger unless you get to huffing the N2O from your inner tubes when you take breaks during a ride.
Old 03-04-22, 10:34 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6215 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
18 years later and we still do not have a definitive report of whether N2O cartridges work well as a CO2 cartridge substitute for tire inflation?
Definitive answer is “no”. N2O cartridges have too little pressure. They have about 30 psi of pressure in them. CO2 cartridges have 850 psi.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: