Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mechanical Disk Brakes Adjustable?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Mechanical Disk Brakes Adjustable?

Old 03-14-22, 09:30 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Other bikes are sold for 'unjustifiable prices' when he can't get his 'justifiably priced' bike components to work properly. This character is a riot
Old 03-14-22, 09:41 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 640 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Around
Ah, I understand now. Yes, I am sure you are correct. I cheap caliper is a cheap caliper. I don't think that prevents me from trying to find a solution aside from purchasing a high end caliper. I think this is how some bikes get to unjustifiable prices. I don't expect cheap components to preform to the same level as a high end component but I do expect them to function. Maybe I am out of line?
My solution to making this cheap caliper work would be to make sure the cabling is flawless (yours certainly isn’t) and try the spring and hope for the best. Sounds like it does “function”, but functioning WELL may be too much to ask of them.

The fact that you’re not a mechanic does make me question your assessment of the shop’s work though. As a shop mechanic, I can think of plenty of times a customer has been unsatisfied with work done and gone on to complain that the shop is incompetent rather than work with the shop to sort out the issue, which often has nothing to do with the quality of work done.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 03-14-22, 10:10 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 246 Posts
I would take it to the local bike shop for professional advice or repair but the bike shops in my area are incapable of working on bikes.
but am not a bike mechanic and don't claim to be one.
OP is not a bike wrench so I believe they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

Originally Posted by bboy314
The fact that you’re not a mechanic does make me question your assessment of the shop’s work though. As a shop mechanic, I can think of plenty of times a customer has been unsatisfied with work done and gone on to complain that the shop is incompetent rather than work with the shop to sort out the issue, which often has nothing to do with the quality of work done.
Agreed.

OP should really take the advice from other wrenches that do know what they are talking about.
Old 03-14-22, 10:41 AM
Around

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bboy314
My solution to making this cheap caliper work would be to make sure the cabling is flawless (yours certainly isn’t) and try the spring and hope for the best. Sounds like it does “function”, but functioning WELL may be too much to ask of them.

Yeah, I hear what you are saying but I don't buy it. Especially considering there is no noticeable difference in caliper opening speed between the cable being connected and disconnected. With the cable completely removed, they slowly open just the same as when the cable is connected. I think if you zoom out from the "kink" you will see that the arc of the bend is actually pretty gentle and there is very little tension on the "kink".

Being a bike mechanic, can you imagine a scenario where a bike mechanic bled a set of brakes to the point that they were significantly more squishy than prior to bleeding, had virtually no stopping power, and squealed like a banshee? I am willing to bet you can't imagine some competent mechanic allowing this to happen. Would you bleed some ones brakes without testing them afterwards? I doubt you would allow a bike to leave without testing the brakes, even if only on a stand. Consequently, I can't imagine how this could be my misunderstanding. Maybe I am wrong, maybe the mechanic wasn't finished with the bike and some ignorant sales person wheeled it out to me while the mechanic was at lunch.

I think what's actually happening is that you are questioning my ability to determine if the brakes are in fact much more squishy, don't stop the bike, or squeal by an unsupported desire to defend the mechanic. I can't effect whether or not you believe me or think I am able to determine these facts. You are free to believe whatever you like.

There is a relationship between a merchant and a customer. I am agreeing to pay for superior knowledge and the agreed ability to repair a malfunction. In this case, a malfunction that arguably should have been considered warranty anyway. I didn't press the warranty issue and simply paid the bill for the workmanship with the understanding that the shop is not going to stand behind their product for even four months. When it was later discovered that the workmanship was sub-par, it's somehow my fault? The only way this logic seems to work is if my interpretation of the events is inaccurate. Again, if you don't believe me, that is your prerogative and there is nothing I can do about it.
Old 03-14-22, 10:49 AM
Around

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by soyabean
OP is not a bike wrench so I believe they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

Agreed.

OP should really take the advice from other wrenches that do know what they are talking about.

Lets take your argument to the extreme to prove how foolish it is. Say you took your car to the dealership for a tire rotation and when you went to pick it up, there were only three tires installed. You protest and the mechanic is adamant that four tires are overrated, only three are necessary. You are not an auto mechanic so your assessment has no validity. You are in error for failing to yield to the superior knowledge of the auto mechanic.

What planet do you live on?
Old 03-14-22, 11:07 AM
soyabean

the mechanic is adamant that four tires are overrated, only three are necessary.
That is true. Only three are necessary.

Likes For soyabean:
Old 03-14-22, 06:46 PM
Around

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by soyabean
That is true. Only three are necessary.

I guess that explains why you are a bike mechanic. Clearly, you know better.
Old 03-14-22, 07:38 PM
soyabean

but am not a bike mechanic and don't claim to be one.
Agreed.
Old 03-14-22, 08:46 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Don't take his insults personally - he does it to everyone. Oh, and he's just some guy who flips bikes on craigslist - which is not the same as being a 'bike mechanic.'
Old 03-14-22, 09:01 PM
soyabean

What's Craigslist?

Who's insulting?

Please provide actual quotes.
Old 03-15-22, 06:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
I can't post a photo until I have made 10 posts so here is number 10
You should look at Google.com they seem like the place for you, this is a forum to talk about bikes you don't seem to be interested in that whatsoever and just care about your one question and wham bam F you mam. It is so much fun to join in on the many many many active discussions about bikes here and you decided to just count down the clock in your own thread. Did he say Boo or Boo-Urns.

Those brakes don't look like anything of quality. If one is reading this thread years down the line, buy some TRP Spyres, Spykes, Paul Klampers, or heck even Avid BB7s..Super easy to deal with and get support for for all of them.