Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-22, 07:09 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
i find top tube length varies a lot by era, brand and even model. By 1990, TT lengths got incredibly long. But during the early to mid 1980s, many weren’t. I’ve had the same size frame, same brand, where one top tube was two inches longer. Same year, same brand, different model.
Why is that do you know? I remember when my wife and I bought our first mtn. bikes in 1994 I think, I bought a Trek 800 Antelope which was configured more like a road or touring bike and she bought a Specialized Hard Rock which had a much longer TT, almost beyond her proportions being a petite rider.
Now I own a 1999 Peugeot Dune mtn. bike which I've had to add some elevation to the stem just to make it feel normal. I really want to try a drop bar conversion but I just don't think the geometry on this bike would be very comfortable after a while.
Old 03-30-22, 02:59 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
You did a really nice job on that.
Old 03-30-22, 03:27 PM
fvernon

Bikes: BMC Road V2; '17 Marin Pine Mountain 2; '91 Marinoni Special TSX; '89 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp; '98 Salsa La Cruz; '79 Centurion Pro Tour; '77 Romic custom sport-tour; '77 Centurion Semi-Pro; '23 Kona Sutra LTD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 79 Posts
Here's a recent iteration of my '89 Stumpjumper Comp, though a few changes since I took this pic:
Old 04-09-22, 08:38 PM
Cheseldine

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 21 Posts
This one is finally finished.

Old 04-12-22, 03:50 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Bikes: ... but look, they're all totally different!

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 102 Posts
1992 Corratec 2005

Still a few things left to sort out, but basically there.

Corratec 2005 (from 1992). Tange MTB Triple-Butted tubing, 1-inch threaded steerer with NOS CrMo quill stem, ITA bottom bracket. XTR M951 rapid-rise derailleur controlled by an Ultegra/600 barend shifter. Tektro RL-520 long-pull levers controlling XTR M951 Vs. I modified the cable routing out of the levers to decrease friction and installed barrel-adjusters in the noodles.

I decided to preserve the patina of the cracking decals with some minor touch-up and a brushed-on clear coat over the art.

They just don't paint 'em like this anymore. Modified Xtasy QR and original Kalloy seatpost.

Old 04-12-22, 06:22 AM
RobertUI 
Monkey Boy

Bikes: '22 Surly Straggler, '15 Breezer Downtown EX, '19 Motobecane Record (fixie)

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by BocaJr
Picked this one up last year with the intention of doing a drop bar conversion. It was in good original condition. Slowly built it up. Finally got it dirty today! Nice nimble ride.
Love this!!! What bars are those? They look pretty awesome!
Likes For RobertUI:
Old 04-12-22, 07:08 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Originally Posted by Frkl
Still a few things left to sort out, but basically there.

Corratec 2005 (from 1992). Tange MTB Triple-Butted tubing, 1-inch threaded steerer with NOS CrMo quill stem, ITA bottom bracket. XTR M951 rapid-rise derailleur controlled by an Ultegra/600 barend shifter. Tektro RL-520 long-pull levers controlling XTR M951 Vs. I modified the cable routing out of the levers to decrease friction and installed barrel-adjusters in the noodles.

I decided to preserve the patina of the cracking decals with some minor touch-up and a brushed-on clear coat over the art.

They just don't paint 'em like this anymore. Modified Xtasy QR and original Kalloy seatpost.

We need a full side shot please. lol
Old 04-12-22, 07:20 AM
BocaJr

Bikes: '71 Peugeot UO-8, '83 Trek 720, '81 Trek 412, '83 Trek 620, '72 Atala Competizione, '51 Raleigh Sports 'C' Tourist, '58 Raleigh Sports, '91 Bridgestone MB-1, '94 Specialized StumpJumper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by RobertUI
Love this!!! What bars are those? They look pretty awesome!
Thanks! Those are the Surly Truck Stop bars. The bars give another 30mm of rise and come in various widths, up to 48 cm
Likes For BocaJr:
Old 04-12-22, 07:22 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Originally Posted by 2cam16
Ha! Was wondering of i would get away with that.

Yup, will take one tomorrow morning.

The side shots of db conversion always strike me as a bit awkward looking, though. I have been trying to figure out the best angle for these bikes, still haven't yet. This angle highlights the brake levers, of all things, which is the part i am least happy with on this build--would rather they be more period correct, still aero, but smaller.

Since this one has fairly thin tubing and with the 1 inch quill, it looks a bit insubstantial from the side. But yes, will oblige.
Likes For Frkl:
Old 04-12-22, 09:57 AM
eom 
Eccentric Old Man

Bikes: 1986 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1979 Schwinn Traveler III, Trek T100, 1995 Trek 970, Fuji America

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 87 Posts
Ha! Was wondering of i would get away with that.

Yup, will take one tomorrow morning.

The side shots of db conversion always strike me as a bit awkward looking, though. I have been trying to figure out the best angle for these bikes, still haven't yet. This angle highlights the brake levers, of all things, which is the part i am least happy with on this build--would rather they be more period correct, still aero, but smaller.

Since this one has fairly thin tubing and with the 1 inch quill, it looks a bit insubstantial from the side. But yes, will oblige.
More than one please, full on glamour treatment. Or better yet start a thread to educate on the brand.

Likes For eom:
Old 04-12-22, 10:46 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Originally Posted by eom
More than one please, full on glamour treatment. Or better yet start a thread to educate on the brand.
Interesting idea for a thread, maybe I will. My next project a 1993 Corratec 2004, one model up in the line (in case it wasn't obvious, there is little original spec left on the 2005 conversion. I had some XTR parts burning a hole in the parts bin and just decided to go all in). The 2004 was the oversized steel version, but once again, the paint and the frame detailing are what sold me on it:

Corratec is a German brand better known for its bow bikes, crazy anodizing, and neon color schemes.

Last edited by Frkl; 04-17-22 at 03:46 PM.
Likes For Frkl:
Old 04-12-22, 11:36 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Corratec is a German brand better known for its bow bikes, crazy anodizing, and neon color schemes.
I've never heard this term. Is that like a slingshot?
Old 04-12-22, 11:56 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Originally Posted by bOsscO

That was the idea, at least optically. They had a continuous arching double top tube that bowed into the seat stays. The seat tube was braced between them and extended up a lot. The design looks cool, but i think the engineering is not quite on the same level as the bling. I would worry they would crack.

This example isn't mine, but shows early adoption of disc brakes using adapters.

My examples are from the period before this became their main design theme.

I can put up some more catalog screenshot tomorrow.
Likes For Frkl:
Old 04-12-22, 06:17 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Who's used on of these to good effect?

I picked up a 92 Schwinn Impact Pro without thinking about steerer tubes. While the stock stem might work, I have a Nitto dirt drop stem ...

Shin for 25.4 to 28.6
Old 04-13-22, 05:07 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Originally Posted by Classtime
I picked up a 92 Schwinn Impact Pro without thinking about steerer tubes. While the stock stem might work, I have a Nitto dirt drop stem ...

Shin for 25.4 to 28.6
Have not used one, but if sjs sells it, they are a good store for odd bike bits, so I would trust it.

I am sure there are look-alikes out there that don't work as well, though...
Old 04-13-22, 01:44 PM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

On it's way

Originally Posted by eom
Pressure and expectations!

So here are some more photos. I was unfortunately not able to get out to my favorite graffiti wall, but the local park will have to suffice. I think I am getting better at taking these pictures, they turned out ok.

Just to quickly address the unique choice of cranks--I run really short cranks (here 152mm), due to knee problems--which the cranks have solved. One of my go to cranks is this not-so-pretty Suntour. I wrote more about the whole crank thing here, if you are interested.

Yes, you counted right, I am running the original 14-32 7-speed cassette. That is one of the "almost done" parts of the build. I will either swap an 8-speed freehub assembly on, or build an 11-32 7-speed cassette.

Original splatter-painted water bottle cage. Here you can also see the cracked and incredibly intricate decals. The brushed on clear coat worked surprisingly well and the decals are now completely sealed. I plan to use this bike a lot--it's not for display purposed only. The clear coat should keep the decals from deteriorating further, and they also capture what was actually a turning point in how Corratec finished its frames: in 1993, they switched to vinyl stickers instead of wet transfer decals.

I repacked the bearings on the XTR Vs (these are one of the few--maybe only--brakes that have bearings, not bushings, at the post interface; and they can be completely serviced). You can also see how the splatter paint adds texture to the finish.

Originally Posted by bOsscO
A bit about the company--Corratec is a German brand that outsourced its production until the mid 1990s to Italy, as did a number of German and Swiss bike makers (e.g., Kotter and Titan). This explains why the frame had an ITA bottom bracket. The company took a lot of technological risks--you could either say they were really brave and innovative, or they liked to charge blindly into dead end allies. For example this bike in 1991:

There is probably a reason we don't see many of these anymore . . . They produced both road bikes and mountain bikes in the "premium" segment, so their offerings were always priced high but with attention to detail. The 2005 that was the basis for my build was their "mid range" mountain bike. But things like slack angles make for really good drop bar conversions, in my opinion, since the drops remain further behind the front axle, and since they are overall more comfortable for longer rides.

The really became known for their bow bike designs, which appeared in 1993, for their inverted "dropped" bullhorn bars (1992, my 2005 came with the first production run of these bars; they are going to go on my comp-level 2004, which i am going to keep closer to spec), their super-bright-even-for-the-1980s paint jobs, and or their early adoption (1995) of disc brakes:

Why go disc? Well, if you anodize your rims bright red, then you can't use rim brakes, so you need to settle for discs . . . sorry.

Last edited by Frkl; 04-15-22 at 04:36 AM.
Likes For Frkl:
Old 04-13-22, 02:08 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Nice! Thanks for the new pics!
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 04-14-22, 12:40 PM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Nice! Thanks for the new pics!
Sure, hope you liked em. It was fun to put together and research and I am looking forwards to using it a bunch this summer.
Likes For Frkl:
Old 04-15-22, 06:30 PM
Nwvlvtnr 

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 79 Posts
Bridgestone MB4

Likes For Nwvlvtnr:
Old 04-16-22, 03:16 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Originally Posted by Nwvlvtnr
Nice looking conversion, and superb choice on the stem, Grant would be proud!

A question about how you oriented the bar end shifters. Since those bars are flared, right? Do you prefer them to shift in the vertical plane, despite the flare, or on the plane of the flare? I've never used flared drops so was wondering what feels better.
Old 04-16-22, 01:56 PM
antmaster5000

Bikes: BMC TeamMachine, Surly Pacer, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by BocaJr
Thanks! Those are the Surly Truck Stop bars. The bars give another 30mm of rise and come in various widths, up to 48 cm
I'm using these too and they're great. Couldn't get much more rise from the stem and the bars put me just where I need to be.
Old 04-16-22, 02:12 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts

That was the idea, at least optically. They had a continuous arching double top tube that bowed into the seat stays. The seat tube was braced between them and extended up a lot. The design looks cool, but i think the engineering is not quite on the same level as the bling. I would worry they would crack.

This example isn't mine, but shows early adoption of disc brakes using adapters.

My examples are from the period before this became their main design theme.

I can put up some more catalog screenshot tomorrow.
I’ve wanted one of those for a while but I just don’t have a use for more than one mountain bike
Old 04-16-22, 03:22 PM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Originally Posted by Germany_chris
I’ve wanted one of those for a while but I just don’t have a use for more than one mountain bike
They pop up on Kleinanzeigen regularly. Buy one from a Dorf/village 50km out of the way and they are cheap. I'm sure you can make room
Likes For Frkl:
Old 04-16-22, 03:29 PM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Originally Posted by Germany_chris
But I have a feeling that a lot of bow and stranger/radical Corratec stuff is not sound from an engineering perspective. Could be wrong of course. The stuff I like--the steel Italian made mountain and road frames, that is fine. But the alu bow bikes, the corratec brand components and some of the Picon, Zzyzx stuff.... My feelings is this stuff breaks, like so much 90s cnc alu stuff broke under hard use.

But if you want a colorful anodized frame for display with historical significance, a Corratec is a bargain.

Last edited by Frkl; 04-17-22 at 12:20 AM.
Likes For Frkl:
Old 04-16-22, 06:23 PM
Nwvlvtnr 

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 79 Posts
Nice looking conversion, and superb choice on the stem, Grant would be proud!

A question about how you oriented the bar end shifters. Since those bars are flared, right? Do you prefer them to shift in the vertical plane, despite the flare, or on the plane of the flare? I've never used flared drops so was wondering what feels better.
Thank you sir for your kind words. It’s a Salsa Bel Lap bar that came stock on a 2005 Surly Cross Check, conventional setup, no drop flare.

Last edited by Nwvlvtnr; 04-16-22 at 06:28 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.