Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.2

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.2

Old 06-12-22, 11:25 AM
  #8351  
t2p
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: USA
Posts: 936

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 368 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Speaking of cassettes, it turns out I am even more of a cassette and chain hoarder than I thought I was. I have at least a half-dozen 10s cassettes that are NOT worn, along with about an equal number of unused 6701 10 speed chains. The cassettes are an equal mix of 105/Ultegra/Dura-Ace. I will keep them since the Roubaix and CX bike are still set up with 10 speed, but I think I have more than I need.

I only have one 11s chain and ZERO 11 speed cassettes on the pegboard though.
at one point earlier this year Quality (QBP - bicycle parts distributor) had no 11spd chains in inventory
.
​​​
t2p is offline  
Old 06-12-22, 11:27 AM
  #8352  
datlas 
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 39,457

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 535 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19120 Post(s)
Liked 5,866 Times in 2,868 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06 View Post
I got the vid. So far a nasty head ache, a stupid cough, and random chills.
Ugh. Most people only feel really bad for a couple of days. Hope you are feeling better asap.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 06-12-22, 11:29 AM
  #8353  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 40,172

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9503 Post(s)
Liked 4,446 Times in 2,337 Posts
spoiler alert



Porsche non-ass of the day
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 06-12-22, 11:30 AM
  #8354  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 40,172

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9503 Post(s)
Liked 4,446 Times in 2,337 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06 View Post
My wife and daughter left to go stay with her parents this morning, but before they went in they did a test and it came back positive so they are on their way back now. I think I got it from them. They had a “cold” before I went to work, and they didn’t have any contact with me when I came home last night.
I hope none of y'all catch a bad case. Hydrate thoroughly. plenty of hot liquids, order some pho!
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 06-12-22, 11:33 AM
  #8355  
t2p
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: USA
Posts: 936

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 368 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by big john View Post
The chain came out pretty easy in this case but falling on the rear derailleur ruined his ride.
One time I was waaayy back in the mountains when a friend got his chain stuck bad. I had a mini tool with an 8mm Allen and was able to loosen the crank bolt with my foot. Somehow that was enough to get the chain out.
in the early 90's for the first gen OCLV road frames, Trek supplied a large stainless steel 'washer' to install behind the drive side bottom bracket cup to prevent chain drops / suck from jamming and/or sawing through the frame

Trek did this after a number of reported incidents
.

Last edited by t2p; 06-12-22 at 11:45 AM.
t2p is offline  
Old 06-12-22, 11:48 AM
  #8356  
t2p
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: USA
Posts: 936

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 368 Times in 245 Posts

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
spoiler alert



Porsche non-ass of the day
t2p is offline  
Likes For t2p:
Old 06-12-22, 11:49 AM
  #8357  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,220

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20502 Post(s)
Liked 9,216 Times in 4,566 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Went out after the rain and wandered about on the CX bike. It was so much more work than the road bike. I even skipped my favorite climb because I was concerned I would not have a low enough gear to handle the steep sections. I estimate the bike “cost” in speed to be roughly 15-20%. That’s a high cost, and I am pretty sure it’s all rolling resistance from knobby tires. Weight and other variables are about the same as road bike.
I saw your comment about the tires on Strava. You should be good with a tire with minimal tread or possibly even slicks - you don't need the knobbies unless it's going to get really sloppy/muddy. IIRC, guys like Ted King stick with slicks/micro-tread, even for the big events, unless it's going to be wet.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 06-12-22, 11:50 AM
  #8358  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,220

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20502 Post(s)
Liked 9,216 Times in 4,566 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
...order some pho!
Yeah, but when isn't this a good idea?
WhyFi is offline  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-12-22, 12:13 PM
  #8359  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 20,805
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5372 Post(s)
Liked 4,971 Times in 2,599 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p View Post
in the early 90's for the first gen OCLV road frames, Trek supplied a large stainless steel 'washer' to install behind the drive side bottom bracket cup to prevent chain drops / suck from jamming and/or sawing through the frame

Trek did this after a number of reported incidents
.
The bike that got really stuck was a Rivendell Atlantis. The guy would sometimes bring it on climbing rides and smoke nearly everyone. He said it was 28 pounds.
big john is offline  
Old 06-12-22, 12:36 PM
  #8360  
Mojo31
-------
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Tejas
Posts: 8,324
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6291 Post(s)
Liked 3,902 Times in 2,126 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p View Post
That your GT4?
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 06-12-22, 12:39 PM
  #8361  
Mojo31
-------
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Tejas
Posts: 8,324
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6291 Post(s)
Liked 3,902 Times in 2,126 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06 View Post
My wife and daughter left to go stay with her parents this morning, but before they went in they did a test and it came back positive so they are on their way back now. I think I got it from them. They had a “cold” before I went to work, and they didn’t have any contact with me when I came home last night.
Hope you guys are better soon!
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 06-12-22, 12:58 PM
  #8362  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 40,172

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9503 Post(s)
Liked 4,446 Times in 2,337 Posts
New bar tape time for the Basso. I wonder how closely the Deda Mistral Floro Orange matches IRL. I have a feeling I should get basic black even if the orange did match well.



LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 06-12-22, 01:11 PM
  #8363  
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 18,735

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7786 Post(s)
Liked 2,720 Times in 1,442 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
New bar tape time for the Basso. I wonder how closely the Deda Mistral Floro Orange matches IRL. I have a feeling I should get basic black even if the orange did match well.
Only the extended bit on the lower roll even looks orange. I suspect it would match pretty well... but not quite perfectly. Wouldn't do it without a backup black roll in case you hate it.

It might look good if it's close enough.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 06-12-22, 01:21 PM
  #8364  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 40,172

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9503 Post(s)
Liked 4,446 Times in 2,337 Posts
Holy carp they've been getting some rain up in Vancouver, USA.

MUP submerged.

LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 06-12-22, 01:32 PM
  #8365  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 40,172

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9503 Post(s)
Liked 4,446 Times in 2,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
Only the extended bit on the lower roll even looks orange. I suspect it would match pretty well... but not quite perfectly. Wouldn't do it without a backup black roll in case you hate it.

It might look good if it's close enough.
The floro orange on my bike looks reddish in some light. That colour is tricky.

I think I'm just going to get two boxes of black tape. I need to get two to get my cart up to $150 for the free shipping anyways.
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 06-12-22, 02:16 PM
  #8366  
datlas 
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 39,457

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 535 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19120 Post(s)
Liked 5,866 Times in 2,868 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
The floro orange on my bike looks reddish in some light. That colour is tricky.

I think I'm just going to get two boxes of black tape. I need to get two to get my cart up to $150 for the free shipping anyways.
Which bar tape is best?
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Likes For datlas:
Old 06-12-22, 02:18 PM
  #8367  
MoAlpha
• —
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 10,468

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8689 Post(s)
Liked 4,606 Times in 2,458 Posts
After almost 17 hrs on the bike this week, the weight I worked so hard for weeks to put on has mostly disappeared, but I’m feeling pretty fit and LSS is pleased with how my arms are looking (she must be into veins), so that’s something. There’s time for one more slow ride and a leg session before I leave on Tues.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 06-12-22, 02:27 PM
  #8368  
gnome
shaken, not stirred.
 
gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Shaky Isles.
Posts: 5,062

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1282 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 276 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06 View Post
I got the vid. So far a nasty head ache, a stupid cough, and random chills.
dislike. hopefully you feel better soon.
__________________
Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"
vBulletin: snafu
gnome is offline  
Old 06-12-22, 02:39 PM
  #8369  
datlas 
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 39,457

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 535 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19120 Post(s)
Liked 5,866 Times in 2,868 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
I saw your comment about the tires on Strava. You should be good with a tire with minimal tread or possibly even slicks - you don't need the knobbies unless it's going to get really sloppy/muddy. IIRC, guys like Ted King stick with slicks/micro-tread, even for the big events, unless it's going to be wet.
So something along the lines of Panaracer Gravelking? Or is that still too “tready” for mix of tarmac and gravel??
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 06-12-22, 02:53 PM
  #8370  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,220

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20502 Post(s)
Liked 9,216 Times in 4,566 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
So something along the lines of Panaracer Gravelking? Or is that still too “tready” for mix of tarmac and gravel??
I haven't used any of them, but I've shopped them a time or two. My understanding is that there are a few different Gravel Racers - one with knobs, one that's slick and one in between. I would probably go with the in-between one, with moderate tread, for that kind of mix.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 06-12-22, 03:01 PM
  #8371  
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 18,735

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7786 Post(s)
Liked 2,720 Times in 1,442 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
I haven't used any of them, but I've shopped them a time or two. My understanding is that there are a few different Gravel Racers - one with knobs, one that's slick and one in between. I would probably go with the in-between one, with moderate tread, for that kind of mix.
Yes, and they have designations that help if you know what they mean but not when you just see them. For example, SK is "small knob" (cough). There's also SS "super speed", I think, but not quite slick. There are also slicks. And EXT. And I think others.

SK is the "standard", such as it is, and likely what @datlas would use.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 06-12-22, 03:03 PM
  #8372  
Mojo31
-------
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Tejas
Posts: 8,324
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6291 Post(s)
Liked 3,902 Times in 2,126 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
After almost 17 hrs on the bike this week, the weight I worked so hard for weeks to put on has mostly disappeared, but I’m feeling pretty fit and LSS is pleased with how my arms are looking (she must be into veins), so that’s something. There’s time for one more slow ride and a leg session before I leave on Tues.
Muscle doesn't float as well as fat.
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 06-12-22, 03:11 PM
  #8373  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 40,172

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9503 Post(s)
Liked 4,446 Times in 2,337 Posts
Meanwhile on the Willamette, this ramp is usually a somewhat steep pitch down to a floating section of MUP...

LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 06-12-22, 03:25 PM
  #8374  
MoAlpha
• —
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 10,468

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8689 Post(s)
Liked 4,606 Times in 2,458 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31 View Post
Muscle doesn't float as well as fat.
No indeed, which is why I have a 290N inflatable. I was also told long ago that I would die first and my mates would eat me, but there’s another shrimp on this crew too and he’s a year or two older, so I might get to taste a little “long pig” myself if we get into an Essex situation.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 06-12-22, 03:30 PM
  #8375  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,220

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20502 Post(s)
Liked 9,216 Times in 4,566 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
Yes, and they have designations that help if you know what they mean but not when you just see them. For example, SK is "small knob" (cough). There's also SS "super speed", I think, but not quite slick. There are also slicks. And EXT. And I think others.

SK is the "standard", such as it is, and likely what @datlas would use.
Ah - okay. Looking at them, the SS - long blocks on the shoulders, file tread down the middle - is actually what I'd use unless I thought that it was going to get muddy, then it'd be the SK.
WhyFi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.