Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cranksets that squash the bearings unless bolt is torqued perfectly & spacers…

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-22, 04:04 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts

are exactly perfect to permit both no play but also no binding of the bearings….

I’m referring to Cannondale Hollowgram cranks with BB30 bottom brackets. But I have seen but never tried other brands that do this. To my mind it is a frustrating system for someone like me who is trying to improvise my own road triple 30 mm axle Cannondale crank using an MTB 30 longer axle…

I thought I could mix and match spacers with my longer length axle and get the play out and still have free spinning but this does not appear to be in the cards for the build I am proposing…

Are there any definitive guides out there for outfitting 30mm cranks of different configurations? Do any of the makers of 30 mm bb axle cranks use opposing side bolts more like Shimano external bearing cranks use?
Old 08-07-22, 07:12 AM
beanbag
S*v* J*sus

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
SRAM cranks use a wavy washer for bearing preload, if that's what you're asking.
The Shimano "opposing side bolts" don't set the bearing preload - don't know what you're getting at here.
Likes For beanbag:
Old 08-20-22, 02:21 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by beanbag
SRAM cranks use a wavy washer for bearing preload, if that's what you're asking.
The Shimano "opposing side bolts" don't set the bearing preload - don't know what you're getting at here.
I'm doing trial and error taking a MTB Cannondale Hollowgram axle and trying to make a road triple with some KCNC triple web-rings I got from E-bay. It looks like it should work but when I tighten the securing crank bolts it acts like they are just going to make the bearings bind. I think I will take this project to the Cannondale dealer and ask for their assist because the combo of this axle to this frame (standard English threaded with a "BSA 30 threaded" bottom bracket) is just not a proven combo.
Old 08-20-22, 06:45 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
this reminds me of the Force22 & associated BB30. It is a delicate design, & I wouldn't classify it as a reliable unit even if it was kept away from water, dirt, & lateral hits.
I'd try to find something that doesnt use a preload design. You need to measure twice for length to meet your needs, but once dialed in, it should yield fruitful end results.
Old 08-21-22, 06:04 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by beanbag
The opposing side bolts allow the plastic center adjusting bolt to set the preload and then clamp the crank arm in place to maintain the preload. The opposing bolts don't affect the preload.

I use wheels manufacturing thread together BBs with angular contact bearings with shimano grx cranks on my sram axs drivetrains. Those bearings take more preload force and still spin freely. They're not touchy to set up like most BBs.
Old 08-21-22, 07:28 PM
beanbag
S*v* J*sus

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
I'm doing trial and error taking a MTB Cannondale Hollowgram axle and trying to make a road triple with some KCNC triple web-rings I got from E-bay. It looks like it should work but when I tighten the securing crank bolts it acts like they are just going to make the bearings bind. I think I will take this project to the Cannondale dealer and ask for their assist because the combo of this axle to this frame (standard English threaded with a "BSA 30 threaded" bottom bracket) is just not a proven combo.
OK, what u need to do is take the crank off the bike, and then tighten the securing bolts. Measure the distance between crank arm to crank arm, and then compare this to your BB total width. U might have ended up with too a short a spindle