Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Motor oil in freehub body

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-22, 03:45 AM
alij2018

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hi, what motor oil can I put on the pawls in my freehub body? Between 20w to 40w is OK?
Old 08-26-22, 06:14 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Use grease, not oil.
Old 08-26-22, 06:17 AM
alij2018

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Use grease, not oil.
It is not recommended to use grease on pawls.
Likes For alij2018:
Old 08-26-22, 06:57 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
What brand and model freehub? They don't all use the same viscosity lube. Can't think of any that 20-40wt oil would be the best weight lube for. Too thin in most cases. It works but can tend to seep through the seals leaving you with no lube. Also, if you ride in extreme heat or cold you may need to adjust the viscosity to suit the temps. Be prepared for lots of differing opinions on this.
Old 08-26-22, 06:59 AM
alij2018

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
What brand and model freehub? They don't all use the same viscosity lube. Can't think of any that 20-40wt oil would be the best weight lube for. Too thin in most cases. It works but can tend to seep through the seals leaving you with no lube. Also, if you ride in extreme heat or cold you may need to adjust the viscosity to suit the temps. Be prepared for lots of differing opinions on this.
FH-TX505. A shimano hub. What is the best you think to use?
Old 08-26-22, 07:28 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Use grease, not oil.
No, that's a recipe for problems in cold weather.

20W to 40W should be fine with a slight preference for the higher viscosity. I have used Tri-Flow in my Shimano freehub bodies for decades and 10's of thousands of miles each with no problems or failures and it is lighter than the oils you asked about.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 08-26-22, 08:08 AM
Crankycrank

Originally Posted by alij2018
FH-TX505. A shimano hub. What is the best you think to use?
I use ChainL chain lube since I already have some but 90wt+ gear oil works well or I used to mix my own using grease and motor oil mixed until it was just light enough to drip. "Phils Tenacious Oil" is another good one for Shimano. Can't argue with Hillrider's recommendation if it works for him as he has more experience and knowledge than I and I would agree that grease can prevent the pawls from engaging in very cold weather but for me, lighter lubes always leaked through the seals of various Shimano cassette bodies in 75+ degree temps. I recommend trying what you have on hand first whether it be the motor oil, Tri Flow, Heavier Oils and see if any work for you. None are going to ruin your cassette body but you may find one you prefer over the other.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 08-26-22, 09:31 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I’ve used Phil’s Tenacious Oil on freewheel and freehub bodies without any problems.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 08-26-22, 09:33 AM
alij2018

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I use ChainL chain lube since I already have some but 90wt+ gear oil works well or I used to mix my own using grease and motor oil mixed until it was just light enough to drip. "Phils Tenacious Oil" is another good one for Shimano. Can't argue with Hillrider's recommendation if it works for him as he has more experience and knowledge than I and I would agree that grease can prevent the pawls from engaging in very cold weather but for me, lighter lubes always leaked through the seals of various Shimano cassette bodies in 75+ degree temps. I recommend trying what you have on hand first whether it be the motor oil, Tri Flow, Heavier Oils and see if any work for you. None are going to ruin your cassette body but you may find one you prefer over the other.
Will decathlon chain lube all weather be good?
Old 08-26-22, 09:39 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
If you disassemble the freehub body, then a little grease on the races and light oil on the pawls is probably the best method.

John
Old 08-26-22, 12:02 PM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
I use ND30 (compressor oil) since it is on hand but a heavier multi is fine. Oil does not carry a load it just keeps the pawls loose. If you disassemble you will want grease to hold bearings in place. If you have Phil's on hand it is perfect for this.
Old 08-26-22, 12:15 PM
byscott

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
I use Phil Wood Tenacious Oil also. I suspect it is a repackaged gear oil, but have no idea which one or what type. If I didn’t have Phil’s oil on hand, I would probably pick up some synthetic gear oil and use that. Unless you have a lot of freehubs on hand, I imagine that a quart would last several lifetimes.
Likes For byscott:
Old 08-26-22, 12:17 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
On Shimano freehubs (except for 7800) remove the unit by unscrewing the hollow bolt, and carefully remove the rubbery seal at the back of the freehub. Marinate the freehub in a container of mineral spirits for a few days, and then drain and let dry in the sun. Spritz out any residuals on the inside with WD40, and again let dry.

Lube: Phil's Tenacious is a good choice for temperate to warm conditions. I found a cheap supply of 'Gear oil' (85-140W) at a yard sale that I may try next.

You'll want to go lighter, such as 10-weight motor oil or Tri-flow for arctic riding.
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 08-26-22, 02:09 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
I think just about any grade of motor oil should be fine. Start out with a lower viscosity and see how you like the sound of the pawls. Personally, I like silent pawls and 30W motor oil works well.
Old 08-26-22, 02:14 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
Hi, what motor oil can I put on the pawls in my freehub body? Between 20w to 40w is OK?
Chris King recommends 10W-30

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/29...56820612942588
Old 08-26-22, 02:56 PM
Crankycrank

Will decathlon chain lube all weather be good?
I know nothing about the Decathlon lube but I recommended Chain L because it has a high viscosity, maybe 90wt ? but don't know for sure. Most chain lubes are much thinner so, IMO at least, won't work as well and wax lubes are not likely to work well.
Should also mention that it's a good idea to flush out any old, dirty lube from the FH body before adding new lube.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 08-26-22 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-26-22, 03:00 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
On Shimano freehubs (except for 7800) remove the unit by unscrewing the hollow bolt, and carefully remove the rubbery seal at the back of the freehub. Marinate the freehub in a container of mineral spirits for a few days, and then drain and let dry in the sun. Spritz out any residuals on the inside with WD40, and again let dry.

Lube: Phil's Tenacious is a good choice for temperate to warm conditions. I found a cheap supply of 'Gear oil' (85-140W) at a yard sale that I may try next.

You'll want to go lighter, such as 10-weight motor oil or Tri-flow for arctic riding.
Would soaking a free hub in solvent to bad things to the lubricant in the freehub bearings, or are they better sealed than that?

For the OP, I used Vactra#2 last time I had to oil pawls, but only because it was a few feet away at the time. Unless you’re putting on a ton of miles any readily available oil will probably fall into the “close enough” category.
Likes For jccaclimber:
Old 08-26-22, 04:04 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Originally Posted by jccaclimber
Would soaking a free hub in solvent to bad things to the lubricant in the freehub bearings, or are they better sealed than that?
The purpose for removing the seal at the back of the freehub is so that solvent can get inside for a thorough flushing. It is amazing how much brown vile sludge comes out of some freehubs. And then how they can be restored to 100% functionality after a cleaning and relube.
You obviously don't do this with a water-based solvent such as anything 'eco', 'Green' or whatever. These solvents, as ineffective as they are at actually degreasing, would also do major damage to the innards of the freehub after only a day of exposure.

This is why you want to flush with mineral spirits; I have left bike parts like freehubs (forgotten) in mineral spirit baths for months with no adverse effects.
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 08-26-22, 04:17 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
The purpose for removing the seal at the back of the freehub is so that solvent can get inside for a thorough flushing. It is amazing how much brown vile sludge comes out of some freehubs. And then how they can be restored to 100% functionality after a cleaning and relube.
You obviously don't do this with a water-based solvent such as anything 'eco', 'Green' or whatever. These solvents, as ineffective as they are at actually degreasing, would also do major damage to the innards of the freehub after only a day of exposure.

This is why you want to flush with mineral spirits; I have left bike parts like freehubs (forgotten) in mineral spirit baths for months with no adverse effects.
I was wondering about the lubricant on the rolling elements in there opposed to the ratchet system. I haven’t opened one in a while so I don’t remember if it’s grease on the rolling elements and oil on the ratchet or oil all around.

I wouldn’t feel at all bad about doing this on a gunked up freehub, but I don’t know if I would do it on one that was still functioning well. Much the same way I’ll open and regrease hubs as a preventive activity, but won’t degrease an STI shifter until it shows problems.
Old 08-26-22, 05:41 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,810 Times in 1,534 Posts
I know nothing about the Decathlon lube but I recommended Chain L because it has a high viscosity, maybe 90wt ? but don't know for sure. Most chain lubes are much thinner so, IMO at least, won't work as well and wax lubes are not likely to work well.
Should also mention that it's a good idea to flush out any old, dirty lube from the FH body before adding new lube. How To Remove/Clean/Degrease/Lube/Install A Freehub Body On A Bike Wheel - YouTube
Chain L and Phil's tenacious are pretty close

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 08-26-22, 08:43 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
Your profile says you are in MU, if that is Mauritius like i think you are a luck cyclist. I had the pleasure spending two weeks at a resort in December years ago with gorgeous weather which is not uncommon. My guess you are between 60 and 80ºF year around and exotic lubes can not be found so I would use at least 40 wt and a little high would not hurt, don't believe grease would be appropriate.
Old 08-29-22, 10:18 PM
alij2018

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have put Motul 10w-40. I hope it will be good. By the way I will renew the oil again every 6 months.
Old 08-29-22, 10:19 PM
alij2018

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
Your profile says you are in MU, if that is Mauritius like i think you are a luck cyclist. I had the pleasure spending two weeks at a resort in December years ago with gorgeous weather which is not uncommon. My guess you are between 60 and 80ºF year around and exotic lubes can not be found so I would use at least 40 wt and a little high would not hurt, don't believe grease would be appropriate.
Yes I'm from here. I put Motul Oil 10w-40. Our lowest temperature is 12⁰ and max is 35⁰ celcius.
Old 08-30-22, 06:52 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Well, first, yes. Of course you can. Motor oil is very high quality and won't break down. But it may not your best option. I'm extrapolating from machine tools but...

Motor oil has detergents that keep dirt in suspension in the oil. The oil is continually filtered so any particles floating around get strained out of the soup. In machine tools (and bicycles) there generally is not a filter. Gears run in oil baths or sometimes have rings running on gear shafts. The ring dips into the oil sump and as it rotates on the shaft, it brings oil up onto the shaft a slings oil onto the gears. But whether a sump or a sllinging ring, you want dirt to settle into the bottom of the sump. So machine tools generally don't use detergent-based oils.

It's probably not a big deal (wheels and cranks rotatating probably keep dirt stirred up anyway) but that's one reason I'd probably use a non-detergent oil if I had a choice. If motor oil was the only thing available, apply it and ride.