Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Very slight play in rear hub = acceptable

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-20-16, 07:57 AM
GravelMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I repacked the hubs on all my bikes (part of my spring maintenance routine) and after reinstalling the rear wheel on my road bike (Shimano 105 hubs) I was able to detect a very slight amount of play in the hub. I'm talking the amount you have to recheck a couple of times to assure yourself it is actually there. The skewer is closed and appropriately tight. Is a tiny amount of play in the rear hub acceptable, or should I disassemble and readjust? Normally I'm pretty OCD but this is such a tiny amount that I could not detect it with the wheel off the bike. The wheel spins true and smooth.

It's not the work of redoing it, I'm just curious as to if there is any reason to redo it.
Old 04-20-16, 08:01 AM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
.5mm at rim is OK, but 1/4 turn on the outside cone will fix it.
Old 04-20-16, 08:15 AM
GravelMN

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the reply. With the wheel on the bike, on the stand, when I hold the seat stay and rock the rim back and forth, the play is barely perceptible by feel.

Yeah, it wouldn't take much to fix, and I probably will do that. I was just wondering if it really matters for such a tiny amount of play.
Old 04-20-16, 08:37 AM
Shinkers

Bikes: '88 Trek 1200, '91 Trek 1400

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Probably fine but I try to set mine up so I feel that play with the qr about 60% closed. Then when I close it the rest of the way it takes the play out.

It's a quick fix. Just grab your cone wrenches.
Old 04-20-16, 09:11 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,230 Times in 851 Posts
I'd just crank down on the QR a bit more.
Old 04-20-16, 10:12 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by andr0id
If the play is only .5 mm at the rim, a 1/4 turn at the cone will probably ruin the bearings. I find I have to adjust the cone and locknuts in only low single digit degree increments to refine the bearing play.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 04-20-16, 10:13 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Bring it by & I'll Have a Look.
Old 04-20-16, 10:57 AM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
If the play is only .5 mm at the rim, a 1/4 turn at the cone will probably ruin the bearings. I find I have to adjust the cone and locknuts in only low single digit degree increments to refine the bearing play.
Not really. Shimano axles are 10x1mm, so 1/4 turn = .25mm (0.01") of adjustment. If it's already loose, there's no way that's going to make it tight enough to ruin anything.

With a top quality Campy or Dura Ace hub, you might want to go 1/8 turn to dial something in perfectly.
Old 04-20-16, 11:05 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Not really. Shimano axles are 10x1mm, so 1/4 turn = .25mm (0.01") of adjustment. If it's already loose, there's no way that's going to make it tight enough to ruin anything.

With a top quality Campy or Dura Ace hub, you might want to go 1/8 turn to dial something in perfectly.
I understand the thread pitch and linear travel relationship but my point is the final adjustments are done in 0.1 mm or less increments to get it right. The OP's hub isn't really "loose" if the movement at the rim is that small. If the axle itself moved that much, yeah there is need for a more gross adjustment.

Close enough may be good enough if you are working in a rush but we aren't.

On the subject of Campy hubs, they are adjusted with the wheel firmly clamped in the dropouts so getting to the point of exactly zero rim play, but not tighter, is very easy. Shimano hubs require a bit more finesse and "Kentucky windage" to get exactly right.
Old 04-20-16, 12:06 PM
GravelMN

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks everyone.

The point I was trying to get at was is there a downside to leaving that tiny amount of play? Will it cause any damage or problems over the next 1,000 miles or so before I check the hubs again?

Agreed that the final adjustments are very small, a couple of degrees with the cone wrench. I like HillRider's analogy to Kentucky Windage and that is what happened, I was getting close and undershot on getting out that last bit of play. I can easily correct it but was more interested in what would happen, if anything, if I left it until the next time. My wheels get serviced each spring and checked again about mid-season.

Last edited by GravelMN; 04-20-16 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-21-16, 09:19 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Wheel Bearing adjustment by Jobst Brandt
Originally Posted by GravelMN
Thanks everyone.

The point I was trying to get at was is there a downside to leaving that tiny amount of play? Will it cause any damage or problems over the next 1,000 miles or so before I check the hubs again?

Agreed that the final adjustments are very small, a couple of degrees with the cone wrench. I like HillRider's analogy to Kentucky Windage and that is what happened, I was getting close and undershot on getting out that last bit of play. I can easily correct it but was more interested in what would happen, if anything, if I left it until the next time. My wheels get serviced each spring and checked again about mid-season.
There is a chance of damage. There should be a small amount of preload when the wheel is installed.
Old 04-21-16, 11:10 AM
San Rensho 

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Play is bad. It willeventually score the cups races because with a loose adjustment all the weight on the wheel is concentrated on a couple of bearings. With a properly adjusted bearing all the weight is equally distributed over all the bearings.

Back in the day i used to see destroyed campy cones and rsces because the racer boys who were obcessed with minimising friction set their bearings loose thinking it would make a difference.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 04-21-16, 11:54 AM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Both outside cones; just a small tweak inward and you should be good...
Old 04-21-16, 12:32 PM
Ronno6

Bikes: Cannondale SR's and ST's from the '80's

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 20 Posts
What I have found to often be the case is that there may exist a tad of play at one spot in the rotation, say with the valve stem at 12 o'clock for example, but there may be no discernible play when the valve is at 3 or 6 or 9 o'clock. When I encounter this, I leave well enough alone, as removing the play at one position may result in a bit of a tight situation at another location in the revolution of the wheel.............
Old 04-21-16, 01:31 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 609 Posts
Originally Posted by GravelMN
Thanks for the reply. With the wheel on the bike, on the stand, when I hold the seat stay and rock the rim back and forth, the play is barely perceptible by feel.

Yeah, it wouldn't take much to fix, and I probably will do that. I was just wondering if it really matters for such a tiny amount of play.
Not really

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 03-20-22, 08:13 PM
BestHomes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronno6
What I have found to often be the case is that there may exist a tad of play at one spot in the rotation, say with the valve stem at 12 o'clock for example, but there may be no discernible play when the valve is at 3 or 6 or 9 o'clock. When I encounter this, I leave well enough alone, as removing the play at one position may result in a bit of a tight situation at another location in the revolution of the wheel.............
THAT is exactly my experience today,
TINY amount of play when wheel is in rotation. I noticed that the axle is VERY slightly bent, and wondering if that's the cause.
Left the tiny play in because when taking it out, the bearings began to "groan".

Last edited by BestHomes; 03-20-22 at 08:16 PM. Reason: addition
Old 03-21-22, 07:31 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
This^^^^^

1/4 turn is a huge adjustment.
Old 03-21-22, 08:32 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts
1/4 turn is WAY too much for what the OP describes. I did a series of experiments once on the effect of tightening quick releases vs. cone adjustments and what the OP describes would be removed by 1/32 (one spoke hole) turn of the cone. As ot the question, this amount of play at the rim is not going to cause damage or increase wear. Better to have a little play than have binding as the hub rotates against the axle.
Old 03-21-22, 08:53 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 127 Posts
Internet is always full of different opinions - here's my 2c:

If a hub is not pitted/damaged, I always set it to zero play.
Testing when the quick release is tightened, of course - for hubs with a quick-release mechanism.
I use two old spacers to tighten against them, so I don't have to re-mount the whole wheel then fine-tuning the preload.

Never had any problems or premature wear that way - hubs last over a decade if regularly serviced.

The thing is - 1/16 of a turn of the nuts is used to eliminate any play. Looking for that spot when the play is just gone, without any extra preload "on top" of that.
Yes, many hubs have a spot in their rotation where the play just exists - even when the axle looks perfectly straight when rolling it over a flat surface.
Even with those, I aim for zero play even on that "just one spot of the whole rotation."

A little bit of play is better than too much preload, definitely.
Still, I'd say that zero play (without too much preload) is better than a bit of play.

Just in case - to state the obvious:
When the wheel is mounted, the rim might move a bit as it flexes, but the play is noticed as completely free movement, without any resistance, then you feel it "hit" and afterwards, any extra movement is just flexing. Not sure if I've explained it properly (or whether it needs explaining in the first place ).

A long, detailed, boring and tedious demonstration of how I've been doing it over the years - any corrections are welcome:

Last edited by Bike Gremlin; 03-21-22 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-21-22, 09:57 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
There will never be a consensus to your question. For everyone who leaves no play and 30 years later the hubs are perfect, there will be someone who leaves a slight amount and 30 years later the hubs are perfect.

It is ironic that no one has ever developed a tool to measure pre-load on cup/cone adjustments. I’m of the opinion that good quality hubs operate at low enough ranges of stress and heat that it is probably moot as long as it is not too tight or too loose.

My personal preference is to adjust so there is a skosh amount that disappears, or not perceivable, when the skewer is tighten. It also makes the most sense to me. It has prevented the bike from swerving to far to the right or to the left.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 03-21-22 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-21-22, 10:24 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4742 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
There will never be a consensus to your question. For everyone who leaves no play and 30 years later the hubs are perfect, there will be someone who leaves a slight amount and 30 years later the hubs are perfect.

It is ironic that no one has ever developed a tool to measure pre-load on cup/cone adjustments. I’m of the opinion that good quality hubs operate at low enough ranges of stress and heat that it is probably moot as long as it is not too tight or too loose.

My personal preference is to adjust so there is a slosh amount that disappears, or not perceivable, when the skewer is tighten. It also makes the most sense to me:

John
+1 OP, the tiny play you've got isn't going to hurt anything. Probably get slowly worse over time. When it bugs you, tighten the cones a hair, Till then, enjoy the ride,

I've noticed some hubs are harder to adjust perfectly than others. I suspect thread type and quality makes a real difference. Some hubs feel as though there is a randomness to the adjustment; that even with the cone not moving at all, tightening the locknut results in varying outcomes at the rim. Campys tend to be a joy to work on. Perhaps this is due to very accurate cut threads as opposed to the rolled threads common on Japanese bikes. (Rolled threads are the stronger and more durable. Also less prone to stress crack starting so the axles are less likely to break.) So I roll with it. I set lower standards of "good enough" for those harder to adjust hubs. Having just written this, I had the thought that the best hub I've ever owned for staying perfect forever is a beautiful Sanshin Pro-Am where I replaced the cones with Campy. (It was my training wheel for my 9k/year racing days. Many wet fender-less rides.) The Campy cones were a force fit the first time on as the V-shaped threads had to get "rolled".) Those Sanshins were some of the best traditional hubs ever made and the replacement cones were from that Italian company known for its quality.)
Old 03-21-22, 10:34 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
If I can't remove the play by tightening the skewer (without over tightening it), then it's time to readjust the hub. I don't like to ride with any play in the hub.
Old 03-22-22, 07:24 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,791 Times in 2,270 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfnla
Both outside cones; just a small tweak inward and you should be good...
I am still looking for the "inside cones" on the bikes I service. Andy