Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

KMC Chain authenticity question, bought on Taobao

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-20, 09:30 PM
Ev0lutionz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

I just bought a KMC Chain made in China on Taobao, is it legit? I hope there arent any fakes on Taobao right?
Old 12-30-20, 09:40 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
KMC is a Taiwanese company that extensively manufactures in China so provenance is correct. As to fakes on Taobao, guaranteed, as it is an omnium
compendium chinese outlet. So is the chain a fake? No easy way to tell but the manufacturing cost versus sales price
ratio is such that there is not much incentive.

Last edited by sch; 12-30-20 at 09:45 PM.
Likes For sch:
Old 12-30-20, 09:51 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
If you didn't buy it from a authorized reseller you obviously didn't care enough to buy the genuine article from the get go. If you look at just price you will get what you pay for and maybe you might get lucky and get the real thing and maybe not but that was your choice.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-30-20, 10:03 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
There are a lot of things valuable enough to counterfeit but I don't think bike chains are one of them.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 12-30-20, 10:04 PM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Ev0lutionz
I just bought a KMC Chain made in China on Taobao, is it legit? I hope there arent any fakes on Taobao right?
I assume you could send a query to KMC and ask, maybe send them pics of the chain and box. (BTW, I'm a big fan of KMC chains)..
Old 12-30-20, 10:10 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
It is not likely for someone to bother faking a KMC chain. The issue could be of the chain bypassing normal quality controls. However, KMC presumably knows too well the ins and outs of China operations to let it happen.
Old 12-31-20, 07:10 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
I did vendor evaluations in the PRC for a few years. As said low value items like bike chains in my experience would not be fakes but easily can be end or over runs in the manufacturing process (good quality) or worse rejects for disposal. The Taiwanese would be able to control this well and if the packaging looks correct then I would not suspect a fake product.
Old 12-31-20, 07:42 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
You already bought it so at this point it doesn't really matter. Put it on and run it.
Old 12-31-20, 08:29 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
A BF member named Papa Ado says he works for KMC. You might PM him and ask.

Last KMC chain I bought was 7 or 8 bucks on sale from a reputable retailer, so like someone said not sure how much there is to gain from bootlegging bike chains.
Old 12-31-20, 09:51 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
My 11s KMC chain packaging (legit source) was clearly marked with made in Taiwan (not China). That said, I suppose it's possible that different chains are made in different locales.
Old 12-31-20, 10:05 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
There are a lot of things valuable enough to counterfeit but I don't think bike chains are one of them.
Then again, if you're already a PRC bike-chain manufacturing plant, you can sell your unbranded 8s chains on AliExpress for ~$5-6 a pop, or brand them in KMC packaging for 3x that much.

Move to 11s, and the unbranded silver chains go for about $14 each on Ali, while KMC lists their silver 11SLs at $70 on their storefront.

So, sure.. nobody's going to go build a chain factory to do this, but if they already exist?
Old 12-31-20, 11:28 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me how someone will buy something and then ask. Your sole reason for buying it was to save money.

If everyone here said it was a fake and would fail, would you toss it out?

No one here knows what you got, but I suppose the guesses will make you feel better.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 12-31-20, 11:38 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
I agree, why worry about authenticity if you bought it for cheap. Just see how many miles you get out of it and if you are happy with what you got out of it, then what else matters.

I don't think any of use routinely size up another cyclist by the chain they use on their bike.
Old 12-31-20, 03:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
People fake all number of things. To you it may not seem worth it to fake a chain but if there is a will there is a way. I have seen fakes of a lot of stuff online over the years some stuff you wouldn't think is worth it but there it is.

Iride01 What are you doing with your life then? Of course you need to size them up by the chain they are using...this is 'Murica and we notice little details like that and judge people for them.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-31-20, 03:57 PM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 92 Posts
I bought a KMC 8 sp chain from Amazon for my vintage De Rosa. I only put 200-300 miles on the chain when it separated as I was climbing a hill. I heard a clicking as the chain hit the cage on the derailleur and FD and immediately stopped. Maybe my De Rosa with all Italian parts didn’t want a non-Italian part on it.....

It’s the 1st chain I’ve ever had in 50 yrs of riding that separated. I assume it’s a genuine KMC, but who knows? I buy parts everywhere and have no idea if they are genuine but if they were bought from major retailers I feel more confident I’m getting the genuine product. I’m not sure what you would get from AliExpress or Taobao. I ordered Shimano Ultegra SPD-SL pedals from AliExpress and they were fakes. Not even close. It was a bait and switch. The ad showed Shimano Ultegra SPD-SL pedals but I got unlabeled pedals and they were SPD and not SPD-SL. They offered me an additional 30% discount so I kept the pedals for a bike I’ll hardly ride.

I have now bought a Campy chain to keep everything Italian on the De Rosa. I also bought the chain from Amazon, but it was a 3rd party bike shop in the USA that sold it.

Only 200-300 miles on the KMC chain. Yeah, I know my chain is dirty......
Old 12-31-20, 09:09 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by momoman
I bought a KMC 8 sp chain from Amazon for my vintage De Rosa. I only put 200-300 miles on the chain when it separated as I was climbing a hill. I heard a clicking as the chain hit the cage on the derailleur and FD and immediately stopped. Maybe my De Rosa with all Italian parts didn’t want a non-Italian part on it......
Wow -- that's an X8 (formerly called X8.93) and the X8 has mushroomed pins (you can see this on adjacent pins). Does the pin where the separation occured appear to have proper mushrooming? Or, does the outer plate that popped appear to have a split in it...for the hole in the plate to have walked over the pin's mushrooming? I would have thought it highly unlikely for a failure like this to happen on a chain with mushroomed pins like the KMC chains have. Very interesting.
Old 12-31-20, 10:45 PM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 92 Posts
Yes, it’s an X8.93 chain. I think it was a manufacturing defect. I wasn’t mashing up the hill but was trying to spin then started hearing a clicking sound and resistance so i immediately stopped. I was very surprised to see the link separating. I didn’t have a chain tool but fortunately one of the other 3 riders I was with had one. I removed the bad link and continued riding with my group.

I’ve already tossed the bad pin and bent plate. From what I remember everything looked normal and the plate wasn’t cracked.

The outer plate got bent and separated.

Last edited by momoman; 12-31-20 at 10:51 PM.
Likes For momoman:
Old 01-04-21, 03:18 AM
Papa Ado
almost like new

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
A BF member named Papa Ado says he works for KMC. You might PM him and ask.

Last KMC chain I bought was 7 or 8 bucks on sale from a reputable retailer, so like someone said not sure how much there is to gain from bootlegging bike chains.
KMC here. Thanks for the tag. Unfortunately there are Chinese-made counterfeit KMC chains out there, but we are doing all we can to track them down and put an end to it at the source. You could PM me photos of chain/packaging and I might be able to tell (some fakes looks pretty good but the quality is trash). A good way to check if it's authentic is our new packaging style (for the past few years) which looks like this:

Likes For Papa Ado:
Old 01-04-21, 03:21 AM
Papa Ado
almost like new

Yes, it’s an X8.93 chain. I think it was a manufacturing defect. I wasn’t mashing up the hill but was trying to spin then started hearing a clicking sound and resistance so i immediately stopped. I was very surprised to see the link separating. I didn’t have a chain tool but fortunately one of the other 3 riders I was with had one. I removed the bad link and continued riding with my group.

I’ve already tossed the bad pin and bent plate. From what I remember everything looked normal and the plate wasn’t cracked.

The outer plate got bent and separated.
KMC here. Definitely not a normal break and sorry this happened. Glad to hear you got it sorted and were able to continue your ride. I can't tell if it's authentic or not from your photo. You could try contacting our European office regarding warranty but they may ask for the chain back to determine the cause: https://www.kmcchain.eu/Contact
Old 01-04-21, 06:50 AM
Ev0lutionz

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Ado
KMC here. Definitely not a normal break and sorry this happened. Glad to hear you got it sorted and were able to continue your ride. I can't tell if it's authentic or not from your photo. You could try contacting our European office regarding warranty but they may ask for the chain back to determine the cause: https://www.kmcchain.eu/Contact
Pmed you with my photos Thanks alot !
Old 01-04-21, 08:17 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I bought a KMC 8 sp chain from Amazon for my vintage De Rosa. I only put 200-300 miles on the chain when it separated as I was climbing a hill. I heard a clicking as the chain hit the cage on the derailleur and FD and immediately stopped. Maybe my De Rosa with all Italian parts didn’t want a non-Italian part on it.....

It’s the 1st chain I’ve ever had in 50 yrs of riding that separated. I assume it’s a genuine KMC, but who knows? I buy parts everywhere and have no idea if they are genuine but if they were bought from major retailers I feel more confident I’m getting the genuine product. I’m not sure what you would get from AliExpress or Taobao. I ordered Shimano Ultegra SPD-SL pedals from AliExpress and they were fakes. Not even close. It was a bait and switch. The ad showed Shimano Ultegra SPD-SL pedals but I got unlabeled pedals and they were SPD and not SPD-SL. They offered me an additional 30% discount so I kept the pedals for a bike I’ll hardly ride.

I have now bought a Campy chain to keep everything Italian on the De Rosa. I also bought the chain from Amazon, but it was a 3rd party bike shop in the USA that sold it.

Only 200-300 miles on the KMC chain. Yeah, I know my chain is dirty......
Sorry if I have to ask this... did you use the Quicklink to join the chain or did you push a pin out and then push it back.
Old 01-04-21, 07:57 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Ado
KMC here. Thanks for the tag. Unfortunately there are Chinese-made counterfeit KMC chains out there, but we are doing all we can to track them down and put an end to it at the source.

A good way to check if it's authentic is our new packaging style (for the past few years) which looks like this:
What about fewer speeds? Their packaging on Amazon has some similar tones, but is much more plain.
Old 01-05-21, 12:09 AM
Papa Ado
almost like new

Originally Posted by 2_i
What about fewer speeds? Their packaging on Amazon has some similar tones, but is much more plain.
X Series (1,8-12s) is in the darker blue package whereas Z series (1-9s) is in a lighter blue box shown in bottom left here:
Likes For Papa Ado:
Old 01-05-21, 07:24 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 362 Posts
I had an issue with a KMC chain that appeared to be fake so I sent it back and ordered another that was new but in the old packaging and it was clearly better quality. I said at the time that the packaging had become too generic looking and thought it strange they did that. All chains of a specific speed came in the same package but I see they now mark them more clearly with specific type.

Here is that thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...ot-fake-3.html

And thank you Papa Ado for replying to my post as well. All has been good with it in the last year. I still use KMC chains on all of my bikes.

Last edited by zacster; 01-05-21 at 07:36 PM.
Likes For zacster:
Old 05-27-21, 05:24 PM
dantonvb

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
I just received a X9 chain bought online. The back of the package states a CL559R insteady of the correct CL566R missing link. Inside there are a 566R. Also the name of the manufacturer is KUELMENG insteady of KUEI MENG. Do you think it is fake? I am unable to post pictures as I have few posts.

Last edited by dantonvb; 05-27-21 at 07:32 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.