Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Vélobus

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Vélobus

Old 07-02-22, 05:15 AM
  #1  
holytrousers
hoppipola
Thread Starter
 
holytrousers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 401

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 153 Posts
Vélobus

A couple of years ago i've met Rida by coincidence while i was repairing a flat tire.
A school teacher in Mâcon, France, he was visiting Tunis and invited me to a conférence he was going to hold about an initiative to teach children bike commuting from a very young age : Vélobus.
The idea is simple : instead of a classic bus line, a couple of teachers create a "vélobus" line by following an intinerary joining fixed rallying points, letting the kid join the hoard, creating thus a caterpillar-like bus.
The kids love it, it's much more fun ! check out their comments:

This is from the news:


This video was made by Rida:


Last edited by holytrousers; 07-02-22 at 05:33 AM.
holytrousers is offline  
Likes For holytrousers:
Old 07-02-22, 07:22 AM
  #2  
BobbyG
Senior Member
 
BobbyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 5,725

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 1,408 Times in 705 Posts
Nice. Although I would like to see mirrors on the bikes or helmets.
BobbyG is offline  
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 07-03-22, 04:23 PM
  #3  
holytrousers
hoppipola
Thread Starter
 
holytrousers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 401

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
Nice. Although I would like to see mirrors on the bikes or helmets.
The kids are wearing helmets, but i'm not sure mirrors are essential: Adults are already escorting them from all sides.
This initiative is tried in other towns in France, this time in Plougastel, Brittany :

holytrousers is offline  
Old 07-03-22, 04:39 PM
  #4  
BobbyG
Senior Member
 
BobbyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 5,725

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 1,408 Times in 705 Posts
holytrousers I'm not gonna say you are wrong. I'm just thinking back to my experiences riding in traffic as a kid versus commuting for 28 years as an adult. I think the mirrors would give them the idea that they are part of a traffic peloton in which their movements affect others, and others movements affect them.

When I was a kid in Chicago in the sixties and seventies I never saw any cyclists with mirrors. And I think about the way my friends and I would weave in-and-out of traffic without a care in the world.

Not to sound like an old fart but It's never too early to teach good traffic manners and good citizenship... and mirrors and circumspection are the building blocks of both.

Nope I guess I do sound like an old fart...but that's how I feel.

In any case, it's a good program program, and it gets kids out and active.

Last edited by BobbyG; 07-03-22 at 04:47 PM.
BobbyG is offline  
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 07-03-22, 04:55 PM
  #5  
holytrousers
hoppipola
Thread Starter
 
holytrousers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 401

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
I'm not gonna say you are wrong. I'm just thinking back to my experiences riding in traffic as a kid versus commuting for 28 years as an adult. I think the mirrors would give them the idea that they are part of a traffic peloton in which their movements affect others, and others movements affect them.

When I was a kid in Chicago in the sixties and seventies I never saw any cyclists with mirrors. And I think about the way my friends and I would weave in-and-out of traffic without a care in the world.

Not to sound like an old fart but It's never too early to teach good traffic manners and good citizenship... and mirrors and circumspection are the building blocks of both.

Nope I guess I do sound like an old fart...but that's how I feel.
No on the contrary, your idea is very interesting !
Thank you for caring to lay it out
Maybe the teachers explaining the importance of being cautious and always scanning the surroundings can have the same pedagogical effects?

Last edited by holytrousers; 07-03-22 at 05:01 PM.
holytrousers is offline  
Likes For holytrousers:
Old 08-07-22, 12:51 PM
  #6  
Bug Shield
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: The White Mountains of AZ
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
It's heartwarming to see this. Thanks for posting.
Bug Shield is offline  
Likes For Bug Shield:
Old 08-07-22, 01:33 PM
  #7  
greatbasin
Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by holytrousers View Post
The kids are wearing helmets, but i'm not sure mirrors are essential: Adults are already escorting them from all sides.
This initiative is tried in other towns in France, this time in Plougastel, Brittany :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUK_fAdhFHs
I'm not sure I understand what's going on here, but I hope kids get a chance to take off on their bike with another kid or two and do their own thing instead of being plastered into cocoons and surrounded by hovering safety nannies.

ET. Goonies. That's how we roll.
greatbasin is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.