Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Conversion to indexed; problem shifting when in large chainring.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-22, 10:45 AM
Jordanmilo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I just put brifters (sorry, but it's a perfect word) on my vintage 7x2 Italian frame that previously had friction shifters.

When I stopped working on it last night I had the rear derailleur shifting perfectly.

Today I hooked up the front derailleur, and got that shifting dialed in. Now the rear derailleur works perfectly when the chain is on the small (36) chainring. But the rear is very reluctant to shift when the chain is on the large (50) chainring.

The primary issue is that the chain doesn't want to shift down from the largest (24) sprocket; it takes to clicks to get it off that sprocket, and then it shifts down two cogs.

Could the chain be too short? It's not according to Lennard Zinn's formula: chain on small rear, large front, the pulley cage is vertical.

I've read that people have had this problem when the derailleur cables are crossed; that's not the case here.

I don't know if I'll ever use (or should use) the large/large combination, but it seems like I should be able to if I want or need to.

I've used the barrel adjusters to try to cure the problem, but that just seems to create other problems.

Thanks for reading; thanks for your help.
Old 08-21-22, 12:09 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
Are you using indexing derailleurs? Most friction derailleurs will not work properly or consistently with indexed shifters.
Old 08-21-22, 12:17 PM
Jordanmilo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Are you using indexing derailleurs?
Yes. Shimano 600 "tricolor" (RD-6400). Shifters are brand-new MicroShift 7-speed, which I've read are Shimano spec as far as pull ratio goes.
Old 08-21-22, 12:22 PM
rccardr 

Did you align the derailleur hanger? That could be the culprit.
Generally speaking, ‘failure to release’ when the shift cable is in highest tension (largest rear cog) is caused by friction in the cable/housing or the RD itself.
If the RD is new to you, it might require cleaning or lubrication to ensure free movement throughout the full range.
The cable adjuster on the RD should be used to ensure that the chain is running properly between the cogs- not too close to either the next or former cog.

Last edited by rccardr; 08-21-22 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-21-22, 12:32 PM
Jordanmilo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I did not align the hanger. I'll look into that, and I'll give the derailleur and clean and lube. Cables and housings are all brand new.
Old 08-21-22, 12:41 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Jordanmilo
. Cables and housings are all brand new.
How's the rear loop look? Nice smooth bend?
Old 08-21-22, 12:48 PM
Jordanmilo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
How's the rear loop look? Nice smooth bend?
Looks ok to me. I'd post a pic but I took the derailleur off to clean it.
Old 08-21-22, 01:01 PM
Jordanmilo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Did you align the derailleur hanger? That could be the culprit.
I don't have a gauge so I screwed an old hub into the hanger. The end of the hub's axle seems parallel to and lines up flush with the small cog of the freewheel, so I think we can say that the hanger is straight. (I also put a level across both flanges and they are off by the same amount as the top of both "cheeks" of the saddle--of course, the bike on the stand isn't level.)
Old 08-21-22, 01:14 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Yes. Shimano 600 "tricolor" (RD-6400). Shifters are brand-new MicroShift 7-speed, which I've read are Shimano spec as far as pull ratio goes.
What 7 speed cog set are you using? Is it a cassette or a freewheel?

Could you take a photo of the RD-6400 while it is in the “big-big” combo? We might be able to evaluate if there are chain length issues or whether the upper pulley is positioned well (or not so well).
Old 08-21-22, 01:16 PM
masi61

I don't have a gauge so I screwed an old hub into the hanger. The end of the hub's axle seems parallel to and lines up flush with the small cog of the freewheel, so I think we can say that the hanger is straight. (I also put a level across both flanges and they are off by the same amount as the top of both "cheeks" of the saddle--of course, the bike on the stand isn't level.)
That is a very original method of “eyeballing” it. Maybe show a photo of your improvised alignment device?
Old 08-21-22, 01:44 PM
Jordanmilo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
That is a very original method of “eyeballing” it. Maybe show a photo of your improvised alignment device?

Not a very clear photo I'm afraid. I saw RJ The Bike Guy use a whole wheel. I've had this Campy high flange hanging around since about 1978!
Likes For Jordanmilo:
Old 08-21-22, 01:52 PM
Jordanmilo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
What 7 speed cog set are you using? Is it a cassette or a freewheel?

Could you take a photo of the RD-6400 while it is in the “big-big” combo? We might be able to evaluate if there are chain length issues or whether the upper pulley is positioned well (or not so well).
It's a freewheel: Shimano Dura-Ace 7400; 13, 14, 15, 17, 19, 21, 24

Old 08-21-22, 02:04 PM
Jordanmilo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
And if anyone can use the small/small photo here it is.

Old 08-21-22, 03:34 PM
masi61

It's a freewheel: Shimano Dura-Ace 7400; 13, 14, 15, 17, 19, 21, 24

Chain wrap looks pretty good in the big-big. Dura Ace uniglide freewheels have a silky ratchet action of the freewheel body, but cog precision might be not quite as good for the Uniglide cogs compared to modern Hyperglide. I run 7400 uniglide seven speed cassette on my commuter bike and find that the indexing can be a challenge to have perfect click shifting on all gears until I get the derailleur hanger almost perfect in the vertical and horizontal plane. I had the Park Tools DAG-1 and found it helpful but flawed. When Park Tools came out with their new and improved DAG-3 I had to have one. Having now used it on 3 different bikes I can report that the DAG-3 is really great and inspires more confidence that you have dialed in the accuracy of the derailleur hanger in a way that inspires more confidence.
Old 08-21-22, 06:25 PM
Jordanmilo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hmm...Hanger alignment is interesting to me: Why would the bike shift up and down through the freewheel flawlessly on the small chainring but not on the large chainring? That makes me think that the rear derailleur is not capable of dealing with the "new-style" crankset, with its 36/50 chainrings. Shimano's catalog says "Maximum chainwheel difference: under 13t," which I have exceeded. https://www.disraeligears.co.uk/site...re_scan_3.html

Suddenly, I am leaning toward a new rear derailleur; they seem shockingly inexpensive, compared to what we payed back in the day.
Old 08-21-22, 07:32 PM
rccardr 

Chain length looks fine.
What is chainline?
Assuming no weird chainline, no major friction in the cable/housing and no binding in the RD itself, this is likely an issue with hanger alignment.
Old 08-22-22, 07:11 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Could be a B screw adjustment issue--the top RD pulley rotates away from the rear cog under tension. You can also play around a little with axle position in the horizontal dropout, but not much with that tire size.
Old 08-22-22, 10:00 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I would back out the low limit screw slightly. The non-index side (RD-L) limit screws are not needed with STI shifters. Index side screws (RD-H) start the whole index sequence.

It makes no sense that the shifting works on the inner and not the outer ring, but if the shifter pawl is slightly hanging up due to the stop, I’d at least try it.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 08-22-22 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-22-22, 11:40 AM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 234 Posts
Little hard to see in your little pics but your axle may be a little further back than Shimano's recommendation. See bottom of the attached.

Not sure how much it matters, haven't been able to test since don't have horizontal dropouts on any of my frames. Worth a try??...

Edit: forgot to mention, the X spec. is what's relevant. Also, note measurement is right angle to chainstay.

Last edited by KCT1986; 08-22-22 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Addnl. info.