Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Microshift components 2022

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-22, 01:54 PM
reroll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts

Shimano has largely turned away from producing high chain/tooth capacity 7/8/9-speed derailleurs and triple chainsets in favour of 10/11/12-speed technologies yet those earlier technologies do have their strengths and even some advantages. But as Shimano is no longer producing many of those earlier components there would be reasons to search for worthwhile replacements and it turns out that Microshift specializes in bicycle drivetrains and has been around since 1999 with component engineering, design and production facilities in Taiwan and China. I searched but the latest Microshift discussion here on Bike Forums was in January of 2017 when Shimano was still fully producing those earlier technologies before demoting them by early 2018 and then discontinuing many of them by early last year, 2021.

I have a few questions which I will get to but what are your experiences and thoughts about Microshift components?

Last edited by reroll; 07-03-22 at 03:25 PM. Reason: slight edit
Likes For reroll:
Old 07-03-22, 02:23 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
They work.
Likes For seypat:
Old 07-03-22, 02:44 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
I have installed and set up many MIcroshift drivetrains and every one of them worked just fine. I have zero long term durability or reliability experience with them, but my guess is they will go the distance relative to the price point.
Old 07-03-22, 03:24 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I've personally used their cassettes and have installed their shifters on several others' bikes. No issues whatsoever; they play well with other brands' drivetrain parts.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 07-03-22, 03:50 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2238 Post(s)
Liked 3,429 Times in 1,793 Posts
Advent X: 10-speed mountain bike drivetrain. Was an improvement over 12-speed SRAM and Shimano
Advent (9): Worthy replacement of Shimano 9-speed XT-level stuff that just got too old.
11-speed Bar end shifters: Work great (both mountain and road versions).
Old 07-03-22, 05:08 PM
reroll

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
Polaris OBark: Advent (9): Worthy replacement of Shimano 9-speed XT-level stuff that just got too old.

Nice! I notice Microshift offers a long cage version of that with 47T capacity, with or without a clutch.
Old 07-03-22, 11:15 PM
posse

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 10 Posts
I've used 7speed Microsoft brifters to replace Shimano down tube shifters on several older bicycles. All were easy to set up, worked well, and gave me great service. Oh yeah, they were also cheaper than Shimano alternatives.
Old 07-04-22, 04:36 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
They work.
Not only do they work, they work well.
i use 9 speed brifters and i like them very much.
crisp clean shifting...maybe not as refined as the old 9 speed dura ace it replaced but they are good.
Old 07-04-22, 08:51 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1661 Post(s)
Liked 1,815 Times in 1,055 Posts
12-speed bar end for SRAM Eagle: cheap, light, works.
Old 07-06-22, 10:50 AM
buddiiee 

Bikes: 70's Nuovo Record Jeunet Franche Compte, '88 105 Trek 1200, '85 Victory Bianchi Vittoria, '89 Exage Bianchi Strada LX, '11 Shimano Masi Partenza

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by minellix
I've used their shifters on some bikes also. Works perfectly; and they alsoplay well with other brands
No you haven't; you don't even have a bike scammer! Stop trying to send me emails about "eddings" may have what you're looking for! SCAMMER!

Old 07-06-22, 11:01 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
I bought shifters for my wife's bike. They look good and work good. They don't get enough use to give you a long term opinion. Some of their derailleurs remind me of my favorite SunTour's. That's a good thing. I would not hesitate to buy derailleurs from them. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-06-22, 12:06 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
I put 2x9 Microshift brifters on my son's bike. They have a short-reach version and a normal reach version. I have the short reach version. However, I feel that it's not particularly shorter reach than the Shimano ST3300, 3400 series, which have a slim body and a reach adjustment screw. My kids hated the thumb switch of the ST3300 and prefer the paddles of the Microshift though. The Microshift brifters shift cleanly and crisply, but I feel the small paddle digs into your fingers when you are braking. My kids have no such complaint somehow.
Old 07-06-22, 12:39 PM
OkFine

Bikes: Bianchi Sempre Veloce eTap, Poseidon X, Cannondale F5,

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
I have the Advent-X group on my gravel bike and setup a Centos/R10/R9 group on a couple of road bikes. I haven't found anything to complain about.
Old 07-06-22, 02:21 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
i made a 1x11 drivetrain on a drop bar cx bike using a Microshift bar-con shifter and Microshift derailleur. It works, but there are issues.

The main problem is that the chain can whip out of the tension pulley and get caught riding between the cage and pulley. I've tried making the chain as short as possible to increase the tension. There is a type of clutch in the derailleur as well, which should help. However when I've taken the bike down mountain bike trail, the chain just ends up falling out into the space between the tension puller and the cage.

As long as I stay on smooth surfaces, there isn't a problem.

They are worth the price, but I feel they are second rate.
Old 07-06-22, 04:17 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by buddiiee
No you haven't; you don't even have a bike scammer! Stop trying to send me emails about "eddings" may have what you're looking for! SCAMMER!
soooooo, what's going on here?
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 07-06-22, 07:56 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
Shimano still makes 9 speed stuff but as time goes on it does get lower and lower in quality, the 7 and 8 speed stuff has already hit that bottom.

Microshift stuff is nothing special but still decent. The nice thing is they make bar end and thumb shifters which are a great way to shift. The low end stuff is not going to be an improvement over the similar Shimano stuff but is probably not necessarily worse.

The Advent stuff is pretty neat for what it is and certainly is a good way to go for a budget mountain or gravel bike.

For me though a nice M737 derailleur is the way to go they obviously aren't being made any more but aren't super tough to find and not super expensive and runs 9 speed like a champ which is really the minimum I want as it is easy to find decent quality 9 speed chains and cassettes and things like that.
Old 07-06-22, 11:21 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
Its a mixed bag in my opinion but generally positive.
Advent X works really well, have it on one of the kid's bikes.
Advent by comparison was less impressive, I found the shifting was harder to dial in and not as consistent as Advent X.
R9 rear der has rust issues, have it on a 20" kid's bike and the shifting steadily got worse as the rust got worse around the pivots and the spring. After 3 years it was tossed for an older used ultegra and the difference was obvious.
R10 rear der does not share this issue and works well.
R8, 9, 10 shifters all work well in my experience. I've swapped them onto several bikes, usually to replace shimano claris. The result was easier and more consistent shifting. Would always take microshift shifters over claris or sora.
But their cheap stuff can be really cheap, just built some bikes for a LBS with microshift m26 shifters and der, they worked, but not well. Probably better than tourney but not certain I'd take it over altus. Reminded me of the old, plastic sram parts.
Good stuff, but you've got to buy their more expensive stuff for the best results.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 07-07-22, 02:07 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I have installed and set up many MIcroshift drivetrains and every one of them worked just fine. I have zero long term durability or reliability experience with them, but my guess is they will go the distance relative to the price point.
Ti, I have considered trying a Microshift left/front brifter to shift a triple. I am currently using a Gevenalle friction brifter. Vendors offer the Microshift as a single for 8, 9, and 10 sp drivetrains. Do you know if they are likely all the same for a triple? And do you know if they have many clicks for trim, or few clicks?

Thanks.
Old 07-07-22, 09:18 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts

Here is a dorsal view of the Microshift rear derailleur showing the wide gap where the chain can skip into only during very rough surface riding. Perhaps it could be bent inward. There is no damage. This is exactly how it arrived from the factory. Perhaps I will take a photo of a Shimano for comparison.
Old 07-08-22, 05:58 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by BCDrums
Ti, I have considered trying a Microshift left/front brifter to shift a triple. I am currently using a Gevenalle friction brifter. Vendors offer the Microshift as a single for 8, 9, and 10 sp drivetrains. Do you know if they are likely all the same for a triple? And do you know if they have many clicks for trim, or few clicks?

Thanks.
I think they're speed specific. My 3 x 9 has 1 trim click.
Likes For seypat:
Old 07-08-22, 10:55 AM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I think they're speed specific. My 3 x 9 has 1 trim click.
Thanks for the response. Do you find it adequate, or good? I'm on a 9sp setup too.
Old 07-08-22, 11:03 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by BCDrums
Thanks for the response. Do you find it adequate, or good? I'm on a 9sp setup too.
I don't like the long throw of a Shimano brake level shift no matter the level anyway, so it's and improvement to me. It's a shifter that shifts and brakes, what more can I say? The levers, or the brake calipers that I'm using are good enough that I brake from the hoods with 2-3 fingers right under the pivot point of the brake lever.
Likes For seypat:
Old 07-08-22, 12:27 PM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Its a mixed bag in my opinion but generally positive.
Advent X works really well, have it on one of the kid's bikes.
Advent by comparison was less impressive, I found the shifting was harder to dial in and not as consistent as Advent X.
R9 rear der has rust issues, have it on a 20" kid's bike and the shifting steadily got worse as the rust got worse around the pivots and the spring. After 3 years it was tossed for an older used ultegra and the difference was obvious.
R10 rear der does not share this issue and works well.
R8, 9, 10 shifters all work well in my experience. I've swapped them onto several bikes, usually to replace shimano claris. The result was easier and more consistent shifting. Would always take microshift shifters over claris or sora.
But their cheap stuff can be really cheap, just built some bikes for a LBS with microshift m26 shifters and der, they worked, but not well. Probably better than tourney but not certain I'd take it over altus. Reminded me of the old, plastic sram parts.
Good stuff, but you've got to buy their more expensive stuff for the best results.
good rundown on their line. i work with a lot of older bikes and shimano has abandoned that market, good to know that microshift works well with 7,8,9 speed bicycles. we can all hope that shimano will discover that it is best to repair old equipment than land fill bicycles.

Last edited by Duo; 07-08-22 at 07:58 PM.