Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Specialized Roll 3.0 vs. Cannondale Treadwell 2.0

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-23, 09:37 AM
munkeyfish 

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Crosstrails Disc XL Frame. 2021 Trek Verve 2 Step Through XL frame.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Howdy all.

looking at these two bikes, I don’t know much about components, but they seem similarly spec’ed. Am I incorrect about that?

Also, how much difference is there in the upright positioning between the two?

https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bikes/active/fitness/treadwell/treadwell-2

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/roll-3-0/p/216878

I’m thinking on getting one or the other since they are on sale. But am interested in knowing which is the better value and how maybe the sitting will be.

thanks in advance for any insights you all can give.

ps: no shops around me have the bikes in stock in my size, so I can’t try before I order one. Both companies offer a pretty good return policy, so that’s not an issue. I’m aware that Specialized ships to home now and Cannondale ships to a shop. So there is a $50 shipping fee with Specialized and have to put the bike together yourself and Cannondale is a free shipping to the shop and they put it together for you.

thanks
Old 01-25-23, 07:39 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
I haven't ridden the Treadwell, but I have tried the Roll. I found the Roll to have a distinct crank-forward feel to it. You can see how raked back the seat tube is...this puts your seating position pretty far behind the cranks, which can make it feel different from other bikes. The Roll's seat tube angle is 67 degrees. In contrast, the Treadwell's seat tube angle is 71 degrees, which is a little more conventional. This also generally shortens the effective top tube -- each size of the Treadwell has an effective top tube length of 2" or more shorter than with the Roll. This is very much in line with how my body felt riding the Roll -- my feet and hands were forward, and my butt was pushed back -- almost as if I had to reach forward with my hands and feet to get to those contact points. It obviously isn't super extreme, but ergonomics is often a game of fractions of an inch, where small differences in measurement bring large changes in how something feels to use.

I would like to try the Treadwell myself, because it looks like a more traditional feeling Roll, if that makes any sense. I really like the color choices on the Treadwell, but that's obviously a subjective thing. I do agree that the bolt-on components are pretty similar. Cannondale gives you a 9-speed drivetrain on the Treadwell, where as the Roll has an 8-speed drivetrain. Because the range on both is pretty similar, I'd prefer the 9-speed for the smaller steps between sprockets. The Treadwell also has a 38-tooth crank, vs. the 40-tooth crank on the Roll (I think I'd prefer the smaller crank). The Roll's tires are nominally larger (2.3" vs. 47mm on the Treadwell), though I don't know what their actual measured width is (it can vary!).
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 01-25-23, 08:33 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I haven't ridden the Treadwell, but I have tried the Roll. I found the Roll to have a distinct crank-forward feel to it. You can see how raked back the seat tube is...this puts your seating position pretty far behind the cranks, which can make it feel different from other bikes. The Roll's seat tube angle is 67 degrees. In contrast, the Treadwell's seat tube angle is 71 degrees, which is a little more conventional. This also generally shortens the effective top tube -- each size of the Treadwell has an effective top tube length of 2" or more shorter than with the Roll. This is very much in line with how my body felt riding the Roll -- my feet and hands were forward, and my butt was pushed back -- almost as if I had to reach forward with my hands and feet to get to those contact points. It obviously isn't super extreme, but ergonomics is often a game of fractions of an inch, where small differences in measurement bring large changes in how something feels to use.

I would like to try the Treadwell myself, because it looks like a more traditional feeling Roll, if that makes any sense. I really like the color choices on the Treadwell, but that's obviously a subjective thing. I do agree that the bolt-on components are pretty similar. Cannondale gives you a 9-speed drivetrain on the Treadwell, where as the Roll has an 8-speed drivetrain. Because the range on both is pretty similar, I'd prefer the 9-speed for the smaller steps between sprockets. The Treadwell also has a 38-tooth crank, vs. the 40-tooth crank on the Roll (I think I'd prefer the smaller crank). The Roll's tires are nominally larger (2.3" vs. 47mm on the Treadwell), though I don't know what their actual measured width is (it can vary!).
That's what my wife could not name when she rode the Roll after riding the Verve! Very insightful as I think back to her test ride.

I have no experience with the Roll or the Treadwell so I personally cannot comment. I don't care for that crank forward posture unless it is full recumbant.

Last edited by Trav1s; 01-25-23 at 08:40 AM.
Likes For Trav1s:
Old 01-25-23, 09:03 AM
munkeyfish 

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Crosstrails Disc XL Frame. 2021 Trek Verve 2 Step Through XL frame.

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
This is the feedback I was looking for. I would have missed that forward crank bit on my own, I noticed it but didn’t connect how that would have felt. Test riding really isn’t going to happen as no one has these bikes in my size near by.

thank you!
Old 01-25-23, 09:25 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

I have a Cannondale bias as my Quick 1 is the first bike I have owned that actually fits me and it is loaded with good components. I previously owned an old Specialized Hardrock and now own Specialized S-Works mountain bike - both are great but lack the new bike experience. I think direct ship to the shop for setup by Cannondale is also a wise move.

If Trek is an option, you might want to check out the Verve while exploring options.
Likes For Trav1s:
Old 01-25-23, 01:57 PM
munkeyfish 

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Trav1s
I have a Cannondale bias as my Quick 1 is the first bike I have owned that actually fits me and it is loaded with good components. I previously owned an old Specialized Hardrock and now own Specialized S-Works mountain bike - both are great but lack the new bike experience. I think direct ship to the shop for setup by Cannondale is also a wise move.

If Trek is an option, you might want to check out the Verve while exploring options.
thanks for the heads up on the Trek. It checks all my boxes. I’m test riding a 3 in my size, on Friday. I called a shop about 45 min away that has one in stock and they are holding it for until then. The blue one.

pretty sure I’ll be coming home with that one.

thanks!!
Old 01-25-23, 02:16 PM
05 fuji
Cancer survivor (twice)

Bikes: 2020 Trek Verve 2

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 74 Posts
I got my Verve 2 in 2020 and like it more on every ride - I hope it works out for you!
Likes For 05 fuji:
Old 01-25-23, 02:29 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Originally Posted by munkeyfish
thanks for the heads up on the Trek. It checks all my boxes. I’m test riding a 3 in my size, on Friday. I called a shop about 45 min away that has one in stock and they are holding it for until then. The blue one.

pretty sure I’ll be coming home with that one.

thanks!!
You are welcome!
That blue is awesome and I'd certainly ride that.

Likes For Trav1s:
Old 01-25-23, 02:31 PM
munkeyfish 

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
You are welcome!
That blue is awesome and I'd certainly ride that.

Not gonna lie, kinda giddy about it.XL frames are hard to find in stock
Likes For munkeyfish:
Old 01-27-23, 04:55 AM
munkeyfish 

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Today I go test ride the Verve 3 Disc.

Bit nervous as I’m reading reviews on Treks site about the bike not having the components that are advertised. I really hope that’s not the case here, but I’m assuming the bike is from that time when they were shipping with who knows parts that aren’t the one spec’ed and advertised.
Old 01-27-23, 06:19 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

I also read those reviews and noted the time period they were posted. IIRC they were 9-12 months ago.

Here's my 2 cents - If the bike fits, those components can be swapped. I'd think long and hard about walking away from a bike that's in stock in your size when replacable parts are different than advertized. Trek's not the only one that's struggled with supplychain issues. Is the bike at a corporate store or a local owned shop?

Last edited by Trav1s; 01-27-23 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-27-23, 06:31 AM
munkeyfish 

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I also read those reviews and noted the time period they were posted. IIRC they were 9-12 months ago.

Here's my 2 cents - If the bike fits, those components can be swapped. I'd think long and hard about walking away from a bike that's in stock in your size when replacable parts are different than advertized. Trek's not the only one that's struggled with supply train issues. Is the bike at a corporate store or a local owned shop?
Im not sure, I’ve never been to this shop. It is listed on Treks website. I believe they answered the phone as Trek of Jacksonville Beach… I could be wrong.

You make a valid point. But I also know I could order a current bike in my size to a store closer to me. However the fellow I spoke to me told me they have the bike on sale since it has been in stock for a hot minute. This is also made me think of the substituted parts in that time frame.

I’ll see. If it fits and I like it, I reckon it won’t matter.
Old 01-27-23, 07:06 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

If you're remotely handy, swapping brakes is an easy project but I see upgrades as an opportunity to personalize the bike and make it my own.

I'll be watching more posts today and am curious about your experience/decision.
Old 01-27-23, 06:24 PM
munkeyfish 

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
So things went different than expected, but in a good way.

Short background of how I got here today. A few years ago I had a foot injury that required me to have several surgeries and spent months with my foot up and I had to wear a medical boot for almost two years that also led to several surgeries on my legs/tendons/etc . Needless to say my legs are a mess.

So trying out the Verve 3 today the salesman (Tom) noticed I was having trouble getting my leg up over the bike and dismounting was a bit of an issue too. So he said how about the low step one? I said they don't make it in XL or I'd love to try one. Well Apparently they used to make the low step in XL and they happened to have a Verve 2 in Low Step.

So I tried it and freaking loved it on the first ride!It had the wrong stem on it and they swapped it to the proper one and it made all the difference. I went ahead and got the fenders, back rack and kickstand. Set of lights too. It looks so amazing I think.

Best part? It was on sale for $559!

The shop was amazing too, Top notch service, even though they were short staffed today.

Last edited by munkeyfish; 01-27-23 at 06:29 PM.
Likes For munkeyfish:
Old 01-27-23, 06:31 PM
munkeyfish 

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Trav1s Thanks again for the Trek suggestion!
Likes For munkeyfish:
Old 01-28-23, 02:34 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Originally Posted by munkeyfish
Trav1s Thanks again for the Trek suggestion!
Wow! That's an awesome story! I'm glad to help and even more happy this worked out so well. That red color is sweet too.

I'd suggest starting a thread that chronicles your life with the Verve 2 - it'll serve as a great resource for people who are considering their options.

Ride on, my friend!

Trav1s
Likes For Trav1s: