Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Is this a good bike for an Athena?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-23, 05:00 AM
kunoichi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 7 Posts

I have a hardtail steel 90s mountain bike from Giant. I bought it used, and I'm beginning to see signs that it needs a pretty complete tune-up; more than I can give it with my knowledge and skills.

The thing is that a major tune-up will run me about 350.00. Insomnia-aided window shopping brought me to this bike: https://www.liv-cycling.com/us/tempt...ber=2101121224, which is about how much I have to spend on either a tune-up or on a new bike. I really do need a women's bike; I need that different frame structure.

Is it better to tune-up whatever needs fixing on my old bike since it's a steel frame and it's proven it can hold me or is it better to just buy a new bike?
Old 02-04-23, 09:08 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
I'm not familiar with that brand but it gets decent reviews. I have sentimental attachments to my older bikes so I would opt for the overhaul of mine. However... Is there a dealer/bike shop near you that carries the Liv bikes? If so, a new bike would get you a warranty and probably a free adjustment or two plus the availability of future service. I would opt for the new one if you have a local dealer.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 02-05-23, 02:09 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Liv is Giant bikes, but for women.

If you have a local store that carries that bike I'd advise discussing it with them and test riding. Pay close attention to how that suspension fork feels as it's low end. ​Personally I'd option for a rigid fork bike at that price point.

Giving your old bike a tune up depends on what it is. Some models are worth it, while a lot are not.