Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Front Rack for Twenty

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Front Rack for Twenty

Old 02-07-23, 06:47 PM
canalligators
Old guy & bikes

Bikes: Rans V-Rex, Raleigh International, Rans Sequoia, GT Timberline, Double Vision tandem, Optima Baron, old Raleighs.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 47 Posts
Front Rack for Twenty

I want to add a small amount of touring gear capacity to a Raleigh Twenty. I want to take it credit card touring using Amtrak. Rear pans are right out, especially with my size 13 shoes. I’ve heard of people putting a pannier rack on the front of a Twenty - that with small pans and a racktop would give me about the storage I’d need for some clothes and toiletries.

The only front racks for a 20” wheel that I’ve found were a Topeak that velcros to fork blades, and the Racktime TopIt. On the Topeak, I don’t like the idea of depending on velcro to bear the weight. The TopIt is not specifically designed for 20” wheels, it is meant to fit to mid-fork braze-ons on a large wheel. It‘s a sturdy rack and it should work, though I would have to fabricate brackets for the bottom to fit the front axil. (The Twenty has no eyelets.)

Other front racks that Ive found were either cargo racks, not made to hang panniers on, or attach to brake bosses, which the bike does not have.

Does anybody have suggestions for a front pannier rack for a 20” (406) wheel bike?
Old 02-07-23, 08:21 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
The only add-able eyelets that I've seen are only for mounting fenders, not a rack.

Assuming that the bicycle does have rear eyelets, can you use a rear rack, with a large backpack secured to the top of the rack as well as to the rear of the seat? I believe the user here by the name of BobbyG has posted photos of his setup on a Dahon 20" Boardwalk. Other people have secured their cargo in this manner as well.
Old 02-07-23, 08:49 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Years ago I had a 20 and this worked for me.

So this worked for me.
Likes For Schwinnsta:
Old 02-08-23, 10:31 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
Interesting idea of adding a rack to the front.

I also seem to remember that R20 and all the other variations had a OEM rack for the front. I think the shopper model came with one.
Old 02-10-23, 09:54 PM
canalligators
Old guy & bikes

Bikes: Rans V-Rex, Raleigh International, Rans Sequoia, GT Timberline, Double Vision tandem, Optima Baron, old Raleighs.

I’ll answer all here. Thanks for your advice.

Some sort of cargo fitting on the rack, like a backpack, is an idea. I wonder if the high location of the weight would be a problem?

The OEM front racks I’ve seen for Twenty, Shopper etc are wide, intended to support a shopping bag or packages, not for fitting panniers.

I suppose P-clamps would work, though I’ve only used them at rack tops, where they aren’t weight bearing. I think my idea of axle mounting will be sturdier. I pulled the trigger on the TopIt rack. I’ll post a pic once I work up the mounting.
Old 02-11-23, 05:30 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3451 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
There also is the option of a large saddle bag, like a Carradice Nelson Longflap or Carradice Camper. Those bags are designed to hang from saddles that have saddle loops, which are much less common now than decades ago. Some Brooks saddles have such loops.
Old 02-11-23, 09:01 AM
canalligators
Old guy & bikes

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
There also is the option of a large saddle bag, like a Carradice Nelson Longflap or Carradice Camper. Those bags are designed to hang from saddles that have saddle loops, which are much less common now than decades ago. Some Brooks saddles have such loops.
That’s right, forgot about that option. I almost bought a Carradice for use on another bike, those are really classy. My Brooks B72 doesn’t have the loops, but Carradice sell bolt-on loops.
Old 02-11-23, 01:00 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
Pls do post a pic of your rack on the R20 when you mount it.

Ive made good use of my Carradice bags when I roll out of town.

Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 02-11-23, 01:02 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by canalligators
That’s right, forgot about that option. I almost bought a Carradice for use on another bike, those are really classy. My Brooks B72 doesn’t have the loops, but Carradice sell bolt-on loops.
I am not sure what a B72 is. I have Brooks Conquest saddles on most of my bikes, that lacks the loops but it has springs. I run the straps through the springs for my Carradice bags.

I do not like the bag hitting my legs when my pedals are at the lowest point, so I use a stem (with appropriate shim) and a short piece of 1 inch dowel, sprayed black to hold my Carradice Pendle further back.

Decades ago I got some of those small loops that you cited to add to a saddle frame, I was not very happy with them, they have tiny little screws and they would slide on the steel rod on the frame. No longer use them. But maybe you will have better luck than I had.

I have owned a Nelson Longflap for years. A few months ago when the US Dollar was really strong, I tried to figure out what I might want to order from Europe to have later, bought the Carradice Camper at that time but have not used it yet.

If you use a Carradice bag, I added a sheet of cardboard inside it to give it better structure, that worked so well that later I cut a piece of Corroplast to use instead, that is the white inside the bag in the photo below. It is just bent in a U shape inside the bag, not physically attached. It gives the bag much better shape and when mostly empty it does not hang down like an empty pillow sack.

Old 02-11-23, 03:37 PM
canalligators
Old guy & bikes

The B72 was a four wire saddle with little pigtails in the four wires. It gave the saddle a little springing action, but not much. These were factory installed in Sports up to around 1970, and on Superbes a little longer than that. At some point Raleigh fitted full spring B66 or B66S on Superbes. The B72 is my personal favorite. Photo below. It was discontinued sometime after 2000.

I like that stem idea to keep the saddle bag away from the legs. It never bothered me, I guess my saddle bags only touched a little. But it could be used to mount accessories on a seatpost, maybe a handlebar bag? I'll keep it in mind.

I used a Topeak handlebar bag on a major tour last year. The plastic reinforcing failed early into the trip, the bag took to sagging badly, and it was on a recumbent so the bag drooped onto my legs. I went to a hardware store and found a couple of mending plates to create reinforcing bars. Other than the droop, I really liked the bag, so after I got home, I ordered some 6061 plate and made an aluminum clone of the plastic reinforecement.

Last edited by canalligators; 02-11-23 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-12-23, 07:07 AM
Tourist in MSN

The B72 was a four wire saddle with little pigtails in the four wires. It gave the saddle a little springing action, but not much. These were factory installed in Sports up to around 1970, and on Superbes a little longer than that. At some point Raleigh fitted full spring B66 or B66S on Superbes. The B72 is my personal favorite. Photo below. It was discontinued sometime after 2000.

I like that stem idea to keep the saddle bag away from the legs. It never bothered me, I guess my saddle bags only touched a little. But it could be used to mount accessories on a seatpost, maybe a handlebar bag? I'll keep it in mind.

I used a Topeak handlebar bag on a major tour last year. The plastic reinforcing failed early into the trip, the bag took to sagging badly, and it was on a recumbent so the bag drooped onto my legs. I went to a hardware store and found a couple of mending plates to create reinforcing bars. Other than the droop, I really liked the bag, so after I got home, I ordered some 6061 plate and made an aluminum clone of the plastic reinforecement.
Carradice also makes some saddle bag supports, but I have not tried any of them. They do not look robust enough to me.

Someone on the touring forum has used a stem and a short piece of handlebar stub to mount a handlebar bag on a seatpost, so it is not a new invention.

My road bike has a Brooks Pro, and I previously mentioned I did not like the little loops that can be added to a saddle. So, I got creative, photo below. The aluminum rod is 5/16 inch diameter, that is strong enough for the light weight in a Pendle bag, but would not be strong enough for the larger bags if you had them full for a credit card tour. In this case I used a 17 degree stem so the stem is horizontal.

I have several Louis Garneau handlebar bags that I bought years ago, the plastic in them to give them shape is very flexable. Initially I tried using 1/8 X 3/4 inch Aluminum bar as a reinforcing, but that was not strong enough, it would bend and eventually crack. Later found that 1.5 inch wide and 1/8 inch thick bar was adequate for my handlebar bags for reinforcing but it took a few years to get that figured out. I put a bit of inner tube rubber over the aluminum in the front where the bag sits on it to reduce chaffing.

Those sheet steel book ends that you can buy to keep your books upright on a shelf, I have seen photos of people using those to support a handlebar bag too.
Old 02-12-23, 11:46 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 181 Posts
On the Twenty, you could also get a Racktime (or even the original Pletscher) and stick two saddlebags like a Carradice Nelson on the rack longitudinally. The load would be higher but not in as much of the area for heel strikes on panniers. I might do this myself come to think of it…
Old 02-12-23, 01:49 PM
Reddleman
iti biking

Bikes: Tern Link D8, much upgraded

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 58 Posts
Don’t write off using a rear rack just yet with panniers. Have a look at the Blackburn Grid racks - while they’re designed for a full sized wheel they also shift the centre of the rack backwards and the mounting hardware is adjustable enough to work with the lower bolts on a folding bike’s seat stays. While my feet aren’t as large as yours I can manage a pair of large 26l Carradice Super C rear panniers on that setup, so potentially smaller panniers could work for you?

Otherwise, it’s another vote for a saddle bag from me. Depending on the size of your bag and the handlebars you use, you might also be able use it as a bar bag instead if hanging it off your saddle doesn’t work for you.
Old 02-23-23, 07:11 AM
canalligators
Old guy & bikes

I fit the Racktime TopIt, pic attached. I made the adapter plates from 1/16” 6061. It seems sturdy enough, but I’m concerned that the load vector is perpendicular to the adapter plate. I might add a bumper of some sort, to put more load on the fork.

Old 05-22-23, 10:00 PM
jdogg111

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 31 Posts
Twenty

Originally Posted by 3speedslow
Pls do post a pic of your rack on the R20 when you mount it.

Ive made good use of my Carradice bags when I roll out of town.

I know this thread is old, but just curious, how much does your 20 weigh? Great looking bike by the way. I have a chance to get one, but weight is a concern. Thanks
Old 05-23-23, 05:46 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
I fit the Racktime TopIt, pic attached. I made the adapter plates from 1/16” 6061. It seems sturdy enough, but I’m concerned that the load vector is perpendicular to the adapter plate. I might add a bumper of some sort, to put more load on the fork.

You have a complicated load path. My concern would be small rotations/movements that scratch the paint.
Likes For Schwinnsta: