Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Clothing @ Low Cost?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-23, 09:09 PM
Senathon

Bikes: Posiden X for Practice, Need one for road and light gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

My step son wants to try out biking in jersey outfit, but he is a a different size and build. He is the type that he likes it or hates it. So I am not looking for anything durable, to be used 2 or 3 times probably.

So can anyone recommend a amazon vendor for jerseys and bibs to try to ride a few times and if my step son does not like it, then I can just toss the gear?

I know it is a waste but I don't want to spend a lot of money for something that he might use twice and never use again.
Old 03-06-23, 09:19 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 1,573 Times in 731 Posts
Sure. I use Hikenture brand shorts, I like their padding. I'm skinny and Coconut brand shirts fit me well. The Hikenture shirts fit a little loose.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 03-06-23, 10:11 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
I actually bought a couple of these and they are really nice and have held up well. No problem with zippers or stitching. I would not hesitate to buy from them again. Sizing is pretty spot on with their sizing graph

Amazon Site

Last edited by jaxgtr; 03-06-23 at 10:16 PM.
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 03-07-23, 12:26 AM
stan01

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Your stepson will probably enjoy riding if the clothing functions well while looking good as well. I started buying from Aliexpress because our last team kit order, although very nice & a name brand as well was made in the far east. It got me thinking that I could probably find the same manufacturer that makes that brand's clothing on Aliexpress & skip the huge markup in pricing. I bought from this seller but I checked all the reviews first & made sure that the product matched the claims. The sizing chart is pretty accurate but if you're not sure, the seller is pretty quick with a response. Shipping time is very good as well & depending when you buy, I was able to get mine on sale with various coupons, no duties. The clothing is well made, looks good & seems very durable & is very affordable.

The site won't let me post links but the seller is YKYWBIKE Official store. Look for: The 2022 cycling jersey set classic MTB cycling bib shorts kit reflective custom bike clothes.
Old 03-07-23, 06:35 AM
05 fuji
Cancer survivor (twice)

Bikes: 2020 Trek Verve 2

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Senathon
My step son wants to try out biking in jersey outfit, but he is a a different size and build. He is the type that he likes it or hates it. So I am not looking for anything durable, to be used 2 or 3 times probably.

So can anyone recommend a amazon vendor for jerseys and bibs to try to ride a few times and if my step son does not like it, then I can just toss the gear?

I know it is a waste but I don't want to spend a lot of money for something that he might use twice and never use again.
He may give them more of a try if you make him pay for it with his own money!
Likes For 05 fuji:
Old 03-07-23, 07:40 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
New rider, don't know if he'll stick with it? I'd buy him a pair of The Black Bibs cheapest shorts; they're good, but not expensive. The shorts will make the biggest difference to riding comfort, which is why I'd buy a good pair. Then I'd pair it with a cheap "technical t-shirt" from REI, Dicks, etc. It'll probably cost as much as the shorts, but he can wear it for other things if he doesn't stick with cycling.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 03-07-23, 08:30 AM
Greyhounds

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
LightInTheBox
Old 03-07-23, 09:34 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked 1,198 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by Greyhounds
LightInTheBox
I ordered 3 shirts, all size large. Two fit just fine, the third was way too small.
if I wanted a refund they wanted me to ship the shirt back. Cost of shipping was twice the cost of the shirt.

I finally had to photograph the shirts together with a ruler and the size markings.
Took me a week, but I proved the smaller shirt was defectivly sized and got my refund.

I reordered the same shirt from Amazon in size large and it fits correctly.

I haven’t ordered from lightinthebox since.

buyer beware

Barry
Old 03-07-23, 09:44 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked 1,627 Times in 1,044 Posts
Being an old fat guy I don't use Jerseys, but rather use Soccer Shirts. They are very durable and go in the wash easy. You can get a pretty good set of Biking Padded Shorts for about 30 USD. The Mountain Biking shorts on Amazon are great.

Here's my link for cheap soccer shirts: https://soccer.epicsports.com/cat/24/uniforms.html
Old 03-07-23, 01:01 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,819 Times in 1,540 Posts
I still think you get what you pay for, ymmv

aerotech designs is good and has some good stuff on sales (20 buck shorts and tops....not sure what all sizes they have) https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/mens-sale-rack/
Voler is great stuff and has some sale things https://store.voler.com/collections/sale/__mens

bike tires direct has some good sales https://www.biketiresdirect.com/mens-apparel

and of sierra you can some time find a deal https://www.sierra.com/mens-cycling-clothing~d~10017/

and steap and cheap https://www.steepandcheap.com/search...4_cnstrc_2&s=u

Old 03-07-23, 01:30 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
My only problem with many of the brands on Amazon is they tend to be cut oddly... and I usually can't pronounce the brand name.

My favorite budget jersey is the Chroma Contrast by Scudo Pro. Very high quality and durable for $25.
https://scudopro.com/collections/chromacontrast

For bib shorts, I’d suggest getting the Black Bibs everyone raves about on this forum. The price to quality is excellent, and so many people find them comfortable that it’s probably a smart bet there as well.

Last edited by urbanknight; 03-07-23 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-07-23, 06:26 PM
Senathon

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 05 fuji
He may give them more of a try if you make him pay for it with his own money!
He is paying with his own money, I order his stuff from my prime account so I can get the discounts and credits.
Old 03-07-23, 06:35 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
Academy Sports, if you have one in your area should have jerseys and shorts that he try on before buying. Anything wearable I have ever bought on Amazon has been a disappointment.

Old 03-07-23, 06:43 PM
Senathon

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
For bib shorts, I’d suggest getting the Black Bibs everyone raves about on this forum. The price to quality is excellent, and so many people find them comfortable that it’s probably a smart bet there as well.
What bibs are you talking about? I have NOT been really active enough on the forum to know. I would be very interested in for myself since my bibs are not the most comfortable.
Old 03-07-23, 09:42 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
What bibs are you talking about? I have NOT been really active enough on the forum to know. I would be very interested in for myself since my bibs are not the most comfortable.
https://theblackbibs.com/
Old 03-08-23, 06:21 AM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
https://www.love2pedal.com/ often has great deals
Likes For Bearhawker:
Old 03-08-23, 06:52 AM
05 fuji
Cancer survivor (twice)

Bikes: 2020 Trek Verve 2

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 74 Posts
He is paying with his own money, I order his stuff from my prime account so I can get the discounts and credits.
Old 08-07-23, 01:40 PM
love2pedal.com

Bikes: Colnago C50

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearhawker
https://www.love2pedal.com/ often has great deals

Thanks for the mention!

I am retiring in 3 weeks after 25 years selling cycling apparel online with LOVE2PEDAL. I have been depleting my inventory for the last 6 months and am completely sold out of shorts but have about 150 jerseys left and they (almost) all have big markdowns.
Likes For love2pedal.com:
Old 08-07-23, 02:36 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the bike jerseys on Amazon. I have quite a few Amazon jerseys going on 5 years old...many rides, many wash cycles.

Don't let anyone talk you into needing $80-$100 jerseys.

The only thing you don't want to purchase on Amazon is the cheap padded bike shorts. Those aren't very good. Stick with the name brand padded shorts $50 or more.
Likes For prj71:
Old 08-09-23, 09:52 AM
kwb377 
Definitely an amateur...

Bikes: Obed Baseline, Stumpy FSR

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
There's nothing wrong with the bike jerseys on Amazon.
Except the "shot in the dark" sizing. The ones I've ordered based on my chest size ranged from way too short (bare midriff...not a good look on me) to way too long (down to my knees).
Old 08-09-23, 11:12 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by kwb377
Except the "shot in the dark" sizing. The ones I've ordered based on my chest size ranged from way too short (bare midriff...not a good look on me) to way too long (down to my knees).
I have not had that issue. Could be a brand issue?

If you look at the size conversion chart and/or read some of the reviews you get a pretty good idea of what size should be ordered. I have brands from Arsuxeo, Spotti, 4ucycling and Rock Bros. Few friends of mine have Sponeed, Baleaf and Santic. All no issues and good fit.

I also have some $15 jerseys from eBay...Brand name is Tenn Cycling.
Old 08-09-23, 11:32 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4934 Post(s)
Liked 8,074 Times in 3,816 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Don't let anyone talk you into needing $80-$100 jerseys.
I would agree that no one needs an expensive jersey. Hell, if you're happy in a tank top or t-shirt, have at it. However, some people appreciate the quality of construction and materials that comes with the higher price tag. That said, keeping an eye out for sales and other discount opportunities can often get you high-end brand kit for favorable pricing. If you're happy with low-cost Amazon stuff, that's fine. Enjoy your ride.
Old 08-09-23, 11:42 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I would agree that no one needs an expensive jersey. Hell, if you're happy in a tank top or t-shirt, have at it. However, some people appreciate the quality of construction and materials that comes with the higher price tag. That said, keeping an eye out for sales and other discount opportunities can often get you high-end brand kit for favorable pricing. If you're happy with low-cost Amazon stuff, that's fine. Enjoy your ride.
Yep. I paid $55 each for my two Rapha jerseys that are super comfy, have full zippers and deep pockets that hold my camera, phone and snack. They are all I will tour in now. And they have never held stank even after not being rinsed for a couple of days.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-09-23, 11:46 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by love2pedal.com
Thanks for the mention!

I am retiring in 3 weeks after 25 years selling cycling apparel online with LOVE2PEDAL. I have been depleting my inventory for the last 6 months and am completely sold out of shorts but have about 150 jerseys left and they (almost) all have big markdowns.
Happy trails! I’m planning to retire next March after 23+ years of service to my employer.

Reminds me of when Wayne of The Touring Store fame called it quits after a long time to enjoy life. Happy that he was moving on to a new phase in life but also sad to lose such a great service.
Old 08-09-23, 12:00 PM
Keefusb
Keefusb

Bikes: 60cm 1992 Paramount, 60cm 1995 Cannondale R900 (son's bike), 1994 Cannondale H300 (mine), 1994 Cannondale H300 Killer V (wife's bike), 60 cm 1989 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra SLX

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
I picked up a couple of bibs and jerseys at Lidl. The bibs were about $15 and the jerseys were $10. Full zipper and decent fit on the jerseys, the bibs are fine for shorter rides but I wouldn't wear them for a century or other long ride. They don't seem to have them anymore, but they appear in the early summer. They also sell a decent frame pump for cheap and a saddle bag with a multi tool, levers, and patches for about $5.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.