Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Step kids "stole" my new bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-23, 10:10 PM
Senathon

Bikes: Posiden X for Practice, Need one for road and light gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

I bought a Poseidon X bike for myself back in November, and was dating. So my girlfriend moved in with her kids and the kids (18 and 21) started to take turns with my new bike. The bike is being more respected than us parents.. lol.

Now they are both riding and maintaining the bike to a point that they are participating in some of the biking groups. My stepson(wants to be a bike mechanic) asked for Park Tools for his birthday this last February. The girl purchased a high quality Jersey Outfit(she is the racer) and saving for a Trek or Specialized Bike($3000)

So I am looking at a new bike for myself and was considering getting the Domain AL 4 Disc since we have light gravel and I been riding with some groups. Does anyone has good experience with this bike? I only been riding since November(past 5-10K runner).

Another question is, does it matter how many gear(for the Domane) you needs to do small town road racing? One rider said 10 would be fine, while another was saying going higher. How many would you recommend for the girl who would be interested in future city racing?
Likes For Senathon:
Old 03-06-23, 10:50 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
Those area actually pretty nice bikes. !0 speed is fine for what you are looking to do. However, if you are looking to local racing, you might consider the Cannondale Caad13 105. About the same price, but a much better setup. This would be a better option for local racing in my opinion. The Domane is more relaxed and great for distance. I have a Domane and I love the thing, but I dont think I would use it for racing, not that your couldn't, I just think there are better options.

Now, with that said, if you believe you are going to go full bore and want to upgrade quickly, I would check your local used bike market, prices are dropping in the used market these day compared to what it was a year ago, so you might be able to find a higher end bike for about the same price.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 03-07-23, 08:08 AM
bike_tom

Bikes: 2022 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2014 Cannondale Trail SL1, 1983 Fuji Royale II

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 585 Times in 240 Posts
You should probably think about what size (width) tires you will want to run for the two use cases you mentioned: light gravel vs city racing.
The Domane AL series comes with 32 mm tires and Trek specs it to go up to 35 - might be able to push it to 38.
A racier bike like the CAAD13 or Trek Emonda ALR comes with 25mm tires. With either of those you could be limited to as little as 28mm. You may find that too narrow for comfort on even light gravel.

Just something to consider. Good luck with your search.
Likes For bike_tom:
Old 03-07-23, 08:22 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Originally Posted by Senathon
I bought a Poseidon X bike for myself back in November, and was dating. So my girlfriend moved in with her kids and the kids (18 and 21) started to take turns with my new bike. The bike is being more respected than us parents.. lol.

Now they are both riding and maintaining the bike to a point that they are participating in some of the biking groups. My stepson(wants to be a bike mechanic) asked for Park Tools for his birthday this last February. The girl purchased a high quality Jersey Outfit(she is the racer) and saving for a Trek or Specialized Bike($3000)

So I am looking at a new bike for myself and was considering getting the Domain AL 4 Disc since we have light gravel and I been riding with some groups. Does anyone has good experience with this bike? I only been riding since November(past 5-10K runner).

Another question is, does it matter how many gear(for the Domane) you needs to do small town road racing? One rider said 10 would be fine, while another was saying going higher. How many would you recommend for the girl who would be interested in future city racing?
If you want to race, a Domane is not ideal, though also not horrible- it will likely be more bike than you need for a long time.
A 2x10 drivetrain will be fine for you to toe the line and get blown away in a road race. The drivetrain really doesnt matter, quite honestly. You could have the highest level 2x12 DuraAce drivetrain and get blown away too. The difference between 2x10 Tiagra and 2x12 Ultegra is not even a couple pounds, if I remember correctly. That may sound like a lot, but on flat road the weight difference doesnt matter a bit and on climbs I doubt the 2# is what would hold you back(vs technique and conditioning).
Bluntly put- spending $90 and changing the stock wire bead tires on the Domane AL 4 to something lighter and faster rolling, like Continental GP4k tires, will net you faster speed over 40mi of riding than the weight difference between Tiagra and Ultegra components...but Ultegra is really nice, for what its worth.

If 95% of your riding will be recreational and hit bad roads or light gravel, I would go with the Domane for sure. Slap some fast rolling 38mm tires on it and it would be very capable for almost all of your riding. The few times you do choose to race then, swap tires for some fast rolling 28mm tires. Thats hardly a difficult thing to do a couple times a year for racing.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-07-23, 10:10 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Senathon

No opinion on the bike you should buy, but just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed the bicycle "abduction" story.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-07-23, 03:20 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,875 Times in 1,078 Posts
I would lean toward 11 speed

105 or Ultegra ... ( R7000 or R8000 or whatever ) ... or whatever gravel equivalent if you go that way ... ? ... GRX800 or whatever

for your next bike or their bikes

(I’m currently setting up a bike with 10 speed new/take-off stuff - but would not recommend it ... I did it because of the rear hub (limit) and access to the parts)

Last edited by t2p; 03-07-23 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-07-23, 04:15 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,292 Times in 2,945 Posts
Girlfriend moves in with her 18 and 21 year-old kids?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-07-23, 04:24 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Its her bike now hopefully it fits, that’s more Important than number of gears
Old 03-07-23, 06:22 PM
Senathon

Bikes: Posiden X for Practice, Need one for road and light gravel

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Its her bike now hopefully it fits, that’s more Important than number of gears
We had her checked by one of the female riders in the local bike group and she is the same height and leg length for the bike.
Likes For Senathon:
Old 03-08-23, 08:04 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
We pulled an 18yo girl into our family last summer- she is at college right now, but doesnt live in the dorm 365 of the year. Funny enough, she has her own road bike, but 'stole' one from our garage for a day while her road bike was out of commission a couple weeks ago due to me tearing it down for a full rebuild.
Some neighbors of mine have a 23yo daughter living at home- she is at a local med school and living at home to save money.
I know 6 kids(I guess adults) that graduated HS last spring and are at a local community college while living at home.

Perhaps they are at college. Perhaps they are at community college. Perhaps they are working and saving up for their own places. Perhaps they are lazy and will mooch for years to come.
Who knows- that was perhaps the least important part of the story.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-08-23, 09:17 AM
05 fuji
Cancer survivor (twice)

Bikes: 2020 Trek Verve 2

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 74 Posts
pretty much off topic and served no purpose IMO
Likes For 05 fuji:
Old 03-08-23, 09:56 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I know 6 kids(I guess adults) that graduated HS last spring and are at a local community college while living at home.
That’s my only point - they’re adults, not kids.
Old 03-08-23, 09:57 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by 05 fuji
pretty much off topic and served no purpose IMO
Relax.
Old 03-08-23, 10:11 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Is '18 and 21 year old adult children' really any different from '18 and 21 year old kids'?
On a related note- at those ages, while they are legally adults, I have found that very few are actually fully functioning adults. Most are in a transitional stage from 'kid' to 'adult' and still benefit from parenting, only a different form than when they were 8. Its more advice and suggestions, plus guidance when asked.
Old 03-08-23, 10:18 AM
05 fuji
Cancer survivor (twice)

Bikes: 2020 Trek Verve 2

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 74 Posts
Relax.
Sorry, didn’t know you were just being the grammar police - carry on!
Old 03-08-23, 11:01 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Not sure about the gf but sounds like her Kids are keepers.

Last edited by biker128pedal; 03-08-23 at 06:55 PM.
Likes For biker128pedal:
Old 03-08-23, 11:18 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4943 Post(s)
Liked 8,082 Times in 3,823 Posts
My kids will always be my kids. Currently mine are 18 and 23, and the older one has a kid of her own.
Old 03-08-23, 11:44 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,821 Times in 1,540 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
I would lean toward 11 speed

105 or Ultegra ... ( R7000 or R8000 or whatever ) ... or whatever gravel equivalent if you go that way ... ? ... GRX800 or whatever

for your next bike or their bikes

(I’m currently setting up a bike with 10 speed new/take-off stuff - but would not recommend it ... I did it because of the rear hub (limit) and access to the parts)
just for reference, my understanding is the shimano hg800 11 speed cassette will fit on a 10 speed hub, but have not personally done it https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...-HG800-11.html

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 03-08-23, 02:11 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
We pulled an 18yo girl into our family last summer- she is at college right now, but doesnt live in the dorm 365 of the year. Funny enough, she has her own road bike, but 'stole' one from our garage for a day while her road bike was out of commission a couple weeks ago due to me tearing it down for a full rebuild.
Some neighbors of mine have a 23yo daughter living at home- she is at a local med school and living at home to save money.

Perhaps they are at college. Perhaps they are at community college. Perhaps they are working and saving up for their own places. Perhaps they are lazy and will mooch for years to come.
Who knows- that was perhaps the least important part of the story.

Judging from the tone of the OP, he likes having them there. He's obviously enthusiastic about helping them with the bike stuff, and for what it's worth, I think that's pretty cool.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-08-23, 02:18 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Weird way to phrase it then. Pretty sure everyone thought you were implying more.

What's wrong with "kids" in this context? It's a lot easier than typing "son and daughter", and we all know what OP meant.
Old 03-08-23, 03:10 PM
Frank72

Bikes: 2022 Ribble Endurance Disc Sport 2018 Trek Emonda Al4, 2012 Motobecane Heat Ti,

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 67 Posts
I think you will like the Domain AL4 quite a bit. In 2018 I bought an Emonda Al4. It's light, fits me good and it was not too racy as I sit fairly upright on it. I upgraded the bike quite a bit and still really like the ride.
Old 03-08-23, 05:36 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,875 Times in 1,078 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
just for reference, my understanding is the shimano hg800 11 speed cassette will fit on a 10 speed hub, but have not personally done it https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...-HG800-11.html
yes - I believe this is the case - at least according to some docs and discussion / threads I’ve found

however - there might be a few variables in play - (?) - including hub (Shimano vs non-Shimano), model and type of cassette (series vs non-series, road vs off-road / size of large cog), rear wheel dish (?) - so I went with what I thought would work