Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Birdy thread

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Birdy thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-23, 08:46 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
This is one shop but it ships only to some EU countries note that the rear mudguard mounted by R&M is the same as the one of Pacific Cycles, its only the rear flap that includes reflector which is specific to R&M.

.For the rim, my remark was for the case you would buy a complete hub dynamo front wheel from R&M which comes always with an Alex Crostini rim while some Pacific Cycles Birdy have other rims so in this case there would be a rim mismatch. But its not your case. If your front rm has 32 pokes, its OK to use it with the Shutter Precision hub dynamo, you only need new spokes with the length for the combination Crostini+SP hub dynamo (which is probably different from your current spokes length ?).
Old 03-02-23, 08:57 AM
CEBEP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 45 Posts
There is a list of EU distributors on R&M website. They have access to all R&M original parts. You can try and email some of them to see if they can ship it to Singapore.

I can also recommend contacting Moez, one of distributors in Italy. Great guys that I’ve purchased my Birdy from. You can contact Andrea who may be able to help. www.moez.it
Old 03-05-23, 12:42 AM
Huggable

Bikes: 2021 Birdy GT Rohloff, 2007 Birdy Mark 2

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for sharing! I believe the mounting for the front mudguard is slightly different too. The Pacific Cycles version did not have the rubber boot cover over the bolt. Hence you will see a bare metal bolt at the back of the front mudguard as compared to a round black "knob".

I will check if kemperfietsen.nl is able to ship the mudguards. As for the front rim rebuild, yes I'll need shorter spokes. But as I'm well versed with rim building, I'm likely to ask Green Basikal (the workshop that installed my Rohloff hub) to do it for me.

[​​​QUOTE=Jipe;22816948]This is one shop but it ships only to some EU countries note that the rear mudguard mounted by R&M is the same as the one of Pacific Cycles, its only the rear flap that includes reflector which is specific to R&M.

.For the rim, my remark was for the case you would buy a complete hub dynamo front wheel from R&M which comes always with an Alex Crostini rim while some Pacific Cycles Birdy have other rims so in this case there would be a rim mismatch. But its not your case. If your front rm has 32 pokes, its OK to use it with the Shutter Precision hub dynamo, you only need new spokes with the length for the combination Crostini+SP hub dynamo (which is probably different from your current spokes length ?).[/QUOTE]
Old 03-05-23, 12:46 AM
Huggable

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for sharing as well! I believe parts like the front and rear light mount/adaptors are custom made for our Birdys and hence I would have to get them from R&M.

Was wondering if it is easier to get everything (mudguards, hub, lights, and complete mounting adaptors) via a European distributor, if they're willing to ship, or buy the individual items separately. I'm quite worried that I can get the specific mountings for the lights.

Originally Posted by CEBEP
There is a list of EU distributors on R&M website. They have access to all R&M original parts. You can try and email some of them to see if they can ship it to Singapore.

I can also recommend contacting Moez, one of distributors in Italy. Great guys that I’ve purchased my Birdy from. You can contact Andrea who may be able to help. www.moez.it
Old 03-05-23, 03:55 AM
Jipe

Yes, the two light mounts, front and rear are custom small parts for the Birdy. I could obtain (for my titanium Birdy that has no lights) them from the link I gave you because I live in Belgium (this shop is in The Netherlands).
Old 03-08-23, 01:57 AM
Huggable

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have emailed Kemper, and as expected, they replied that they don't ship to Singapore. However they said that I could get a courier like FedEx to handle the shipping.

I have asked them for a quote for all the parts I wanted. Hopefully they have all the parts in stock. I think that shipping to SG will cost a bomb too!
Old 03-08-23, 02:32 AM
Jipe

Usually, UPS is cheaper and they also offer the service to pick-up the parcel from the address you provide (its possible to ask to pick-up the parcel when you order the shipment online, it works both for private and business addresses, you can specify the time when office is open for parcel pick-up).
Old 03-08-23, 02:58 AM
CEBEP

Any major courier can provide pickup. You can get few quotes from those in Singapore to see what will work for you best in terms of delivery times and costs.
Old 03-13-23, 10:18 PM
Huggable

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Kemper is checking R&M on the parts I need and the costs. I've asked for the weight of the parts as well.

Yes, I'll be checking out the courier companies too!

Any major courier can provide pickup. You can get few quotes from those in Singapore to see what will work for you best in terms of delivery times and costs.
Old 04-08-23, 03:25 AM
Huggable

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's here! Can't wait to bring back to unbox.

Order from Kemper Fietsen.
Old 04-08-23, 09:22 AM
Huggable

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Questions about mounting the dynamo lights

I've unboxed the lights and dynamo rim. A few observations:

1. The Supernova lights are really high quality and well made. The box and packaging looked so exclusive. No wonder they are so expensive.
2. The rim spokes on the Birdy for Asia market (at least Singapore) are all black in color, whereas those in Europe are silver.
3. The Pacific Cycles mudguards are glossy black, whereas the R&M mudguards are matt black.
I've connected the front light to the dynamo hub and verified it works. Now I have a few questions, would like to seek help if Euporean owners have some detailed pictures:
Do I need to secure the dynamo connector (in grey) to the bike frame? There is no mounting as far as I could see. How do I secure the cables of the front light to the dynamo connector (in grey)? Do I need to get a 2-pin connector? The Supernova front light comes with the wire ends stripped but there's no connector. Since the grey connector is not secured to anything, won't it rotate when I push my bike forward and backward?

I believe the front light bracket supplied by Supernova have to be removed. How do I mount the front light to the front bracket? Just need to know which end goes to the bike and which end to the lgiht.

I could figure out how the rear light mount can be secured to the brake caliper bolt.

Thanks in advance!

Dynamo hub with silver spokes.

Supernova lights in their packaging.
​​​​​​

Love the quality of this light!

The grey connector on the dynamo hub.
Old 04-08-23, 10:18 AM
CEBEP

European R&M Touring version comes with lights installed by the factory. But nothing is connected to the frame, both wires must be connected to tye dynamo hub. You have to pull the grey connector from the hub and connect the wires. Front light is mounted on custom bracket. Here are few snaps of light mount and hub connection from my Birdy. Hope this helps.

Old 04-08-23, 03:45 PM
Jipe

Like for the front light, there is also a special Riese & Müller bracket to mount the E3 Taillight on the rear brake caliper.
Old 04-08-23, 06:59 PM
Huggable

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, these pictures are very helpful! Thanks.

I have bought the custom brackets for both the front and rear lights, all the hardware are in there, I just need to know how they are put together.

As for the dynamo hub, the grey "SP" connector can be pulled out. It has to be disassembled to run the cable ends.

European R&M Touring version comes with lights installed by the factory. But nothing is connected to the frame, both wires must be connected to tye dynamo hub. You have to pull the grey connector from the hub and connect the wires. Front light is mounted on custom bracket. Here are few snaps of light mount and hub connection from my Birdy. Hope this helps.

Old 04-08-23, 07:11 PM
Huggable

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Before dismounting the front wheel, just need to pull out the SP connector.

Dynamo contacts.

I believe I can install the front light bracket and still retain both the front tyre stoppers.

Colorplus front tyre stoppers.
Old 04-08-23, 07:44 PM
CEBEP

I assume the Supernova light came with a user manual which should explain how to connect it to the hub. If not you can check their website to download one or request from Supernova.
Old 04-08-23, 09:41 PM
Huggable

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I assume the Supernova light came with a user manual which should explain how to connect it to the hub. If not you can check their website to download one or request from Supernova.
You're right! The Supernova front light has clearly labelled which set of cable is for the dynamo, and the other set is for the rear light. The SP Dynamo site also had a pdf file on installation instructions for the SD8. I need guidance more on the Birdy-specific installations such as bracket and orientation of the connectors. And the photos were very helpful!

I will mount the front bracket first, and then figure out how to route the cables. Might have to shorten the dynamo cable. As for the rear lights, I intend to install it on the bottom of the rear rack, just like what glye has done. Likely will need additional cables as the supplied cable is rather short.
Old 04-09-23, 06:53 AM
Huggable

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I know it's very common in Europe, but I'm very excited to have this installed!

Old 04-09-23, 08:15 AM
CEBEP

Looking good. Enjoy it!
Old 04-09-23, 10:04 AM
Jipe

For information, below a picture that show how the cable runs from the dynamo hub connector to the front light, its placed inside the vertical triangular tube of the fork. You can also see the cable going from the front light to the rear light that enter the main frame together with the derailleur cable and rear brake hydraulic command.

Last edited by Jipe; 04-09-23 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-10-23, 10:00 AM
Huggable

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the reference, Jipe

I've managed to run the cable through the vertical tube, but with lesser cable slack.

Will figure a way to run the cables through the main frame, as all the cable outlets are all occupied, the Rohloff hub needs 2 shifter cables, and the last was used to run the brake hose.
Old 04-10-23, 10:22 AM
Jipe

Indeed, the two holes on the rear left side of the main frame are needed and used, one for the rear brake, the second one for the rear light cable.
Old 04-13-23, 02:59 AM
Huggable

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Can share how do you mount the Toplight onto the bicycle rack? The light requires 2 mounting holes between 50-80mm.

Originally Posted by glye
I have the Busch & Müller Toplight View tail light connected to the output of the stock Supernova E3. That is working fine. It seems at least some lights of some other brands are able to work with the Supernova output.

I am generally happy with Busch & Müller. The Luxos U 70/90 lux is very good. If I was going to replace the stock supernova on the Birdy, I might go for the IQ-XS 70/80 lux. https://dynamolights.com/busch-and-m...lumotec-iq-xs/
Old 04-13-23, 03:26 AM
glye

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
No problem, the rack has a taillight tab with 50 mm spaced holes built in. Just bolt the light on and go. But from your question I guess you have a different version of the rack, without that tab.
Old 04-13-23, 05:34 PM
Huggable

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You're right! I'm using the Imperium Multi-S 2+2 rack. From the looks of it, there isn't much space to mount a rear light. Neither is there any mounting points.

Think I'll mount the tiny Supernova lights first, since I've already bought them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.