Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pinarello Paris Building to Sell - Seeking Insight

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-27-23, 11:15 AM
sjlversurfer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi All,

I hope this is posted in the right place, if not please feel free to move to the appropriate forum.

I have a 2012 Paris Pinarello (55cm) that I am going to put on the market. The bike originally came with Ultegra 6800 Di2. I upgraded it to Ultegra 8000 Di2, then moved all the 8000 parts to a Pinarello Prince FX frame.

So I have the Paris frame, a brand new Zipp 303 NSW wheelset, and a mostly 6800 group. I have 3 cranksets I can put on the bike: 1. Ultegra 8000 stages (170 mid-compact) 2. Ultegra 8000 (170 mid-compact) 3. Ultegra 6800 (175 compact). The cockpit is Pro carbon seatpost, Pro aluminum stem (both 110 and 120), and Pro Carbon Aero handlebar (40). I have 3 new Fizik saddles to choose for the bike.

When considering marketability, I am looking at the drivetrain and would like to get some advice from the community, as I am sure many of you have your fingers on the pulse of the market and can provide some insight. I am trying to decide whether to build it out with the 6800 parts, or upgrade the drivetrain to 8000. Here are a few considerations:
  • To use the 8000 cranksets, I need to replace the 6800 front derailleur with an 8000. The 8000 FD is backwards compatible.
  • The 6800 rear derailleur is limited to 28t cassette.
  • The bike will get a new chain and a new cassette.
Here are the build options:
  • 6800 is mostly ready to go, need to get the chain and the cassette. The crank size may be an issue at 175, and if I had to, I'd consider replacing it with a 172.5 which is the common length on this frame size.
  • Replace front derailleur to 8000, which allows the use of any of the cranksets, though the 170s may be an issue with length and the gearing is going to be tall with the mid-compact and cassette limited to 28t. Again, if I had to, I'd consider replacing the crankset with a 172.5.
  • Replace both front and rear derailleur to 8000. This makes the drivetrain more current, allows the use of a 30t cassette which is a common setup with the mid-compact cranksets.
What do you all think about each of these scenarios, which is most preferable, and do you think the market values would be significantly different? Really appreciate everyone taking a look at this post and your advice/insight.

Happy to answer any questions!
Old 03-27-23, 12:47 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
You may do better to sell all parts separately. Someone may like your frame, but not all of your parts.
Old 03-27-23, 01:31 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,801 Posts
Rather than spend the time/efffort building it up. Sell it as parts.
Old 03-27-23, 05:57 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
Usually I am not a big fan of parting bikes out, but in your case I will make an exception because right now all you have is a bunch of parts. Now, if you enjoy building bikes and you want to get rid of a bunch of parts you are not using, by all means, build it up. You may not get as much for the finished product as if you had just sold the parts, but you would have had the pleasure and satisfaction of building up a very nice bicycle
Old 03-27-23, 09:33 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 311 Posts
Building bikes is fun but I think you'll always get more if parting out. If the bike is already put together then it's easier to sell it as-is but since this is already in bits why do the labor of putting it together to make less money?

But to answer your question, I guess the 6800 group is more period-correct whereas the 8000 group would be more of a retro-modern build. As a buyer, I like the modern stuff. As a seller, I'd look at it as a vehicle for pawning off the older stuff.
Old 03-28-23, 06:52 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Put the least expensive/oldest options on the bike and sell the rest.

I am not paying more for an r8000 crank vs a 6800 crank. And one isnt inherently more appealing and motivating to me in terms of if I will buy.
Old 03-28-23, 09:03 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,981 Posts
+1 on selling it in bits. You are likely to get more money overall and you don't have to build anything.
Old 03-29-23, 07:42 PM
sjlversurfer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all the replies! I originally didn't want to go the parts route just because that's a lot of managing ads, replies, haggling, shipping, but the feedback is unanimous. I'll try the parts and see what happens. Thanks again!
Old 03-29-23, 09:19 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,003 Posts
Yep, sell the parts, I had a full set of 6800 and sold it in parts, went quicker as people were able to get what they needed. I understand the separate shipping and what not, but I offered if they bought the whole thing, a lower cost overall, if they wanted piece meal, here is the individual cost. Work out ok for me both ways.

Old 03-29-23, 09:33 PM
sjlversurfer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Yep, sell the parts, I had a full set of 6800 and sold it in parts, went quicker as people were able to get what they needed. I understand the separate shipping and what not, but I offered if they bought the whole thing, a lower cost overall, if they wanted piece meal, here is the individual cost. Work out ok for me both ways.
That strategy is sound. Thanks for the input on your experience. I'm feeling more confident people will be able to get what they need and most of it will move quickly. And if someone wants to go full monty, they get a discount!
Likes For sjlversurfer: