Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon Steerer vs Aluminum

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Carbon Steerer vs Aluminum

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-23, 11:23 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3417 Post(s)
Liked 3,547 Times in 1,784 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
There is no doubt that the difference in ride quality between a 20,000 lb/in wheel and a 13000 lb/in one is immediately apparent to a 70 kg rider.
Is this sarcasm? For a 70 kg rider, we're talking rim deflection on the order of 0.001".

Last edited by terrymorse; 03-30-23 at 11:32 AM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 03-30-23, 11:56 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Is this sarcasm? For a 70 kg rider, we're talking rim deflection on the order of 0.001".
That was the guy whose report I quoted saying that, not me. John Allen, who took over Sheldon Brown's page, immediately follows that guy's statement with one saying that no one can feel that difference through the tire.

I don't know why some people still believe that variations in vertical stiffness in built wheels are perceptible through the tire, but people believe all sorts of things that make no sense to me.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 03-31-23, 05:23 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
That was the guy whose report I quoted saying that, not me. John Allen, who took over Sheldon Brown's page, immediately follows that guy's statement with one saying that no one can feel that difference through the tire.

I don't know why some people still believe that variations in vertical stiffness in built wheels are perceptible through the tire, but people believe all sorts of things that make no sense to me.
Placebo is very strong.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 03-31-23, 06:37 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
It's tyres, and potentially seatpost, potentially bars, maybe a little fork blade or even steerer.

A decent length of light carbon seatpost can feel like two tyre sizes worth of ride comfort. Flexy aero carbon bars can also make a surprising amount of difference.

Fork blade flex, probably capable of taking the edge off sharp impacts, and absorbing a bit of high frequency stuff. The material is less important than the design. Steerers flex too, not so much tapered ones. Size of effect probably half an order of magnitude below the slight effect of blade flex; the headset bearings would notice it more than you would.
​​​​
Steerer flex is definitely a thing, but mostly just in the context of heavy braking.
Likes For Kimmo: