Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Visiting Seattle, WA around Easter 2023

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-23, 04:04 PM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 191 Posts

Hi folks,

I'm driving into Seattle from Vancouver BC during the Easter week. I've never been to Washington State / Seattle before, and several of the members here hail from the city or the region and often post really excellent photos of the Pacific Northwest generally and Seattle too. My wife and I are planning two days in the city/region, and while I've googled this and that, we'd love suggestions from locals on site seeing, places to eat, places to walk and enjoy the character of the city and region, etc. We're staying in the Belltown area of Seattle. We won't have bicycles with us as we're visiting Seattle via Vancouver BC from our home city of Ottawa back east - looks like there is a bike share service in Seattle that I'll likely want to try. I would also welcome suggestions for any local suppliers of cycling gear that is made in WA to check out, and especially bike shops with C&V flavours to visit. I enjoy the odd brew so suggestions on local beer / pubs offering it would also be welcome!

Thanks for any quick suggestions.
Old 03-30-23, 04:25 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Ged117
Hi folks,

I'm driving into Seattle from Vancouver BC during the Easter week. I've never been to Washington State / Seattle before, and several of the members here hail from the city or the region and often post really excellent photos of the Pacific Northwest generally and Seattle too. My wife and I are planning two days in the city/region, and while I've googled this and that, we'd love suggestions from locals on site seeing, places to eat, places to walk and enjoy the character of the city and region, etc. We're staying in the Belltown area of Seattle. We won't have bicycles with us as we're visiting Seattle via Vancouver BC from our home city of Ottawa back east - looks like there is a bike share service in Seattle that I'll likely want to try. I would also welcome suggestions for any local suppliers of cycling gear that is made in WA to check out, and especially bike shops with C&V flavours to visit. I enjoy the odd brew so suggestions on local beer / pubs offering it would also be welcome!

Seattle has plenty to see for sure but not sure it can really beat BC.

I'll leave it to actual locals to advise.

Will be interesting to hear how you make out on this.
Old 03-30-23, 04:40 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3879 Post(s)
Liked 6,467 Times in 3,199 Posts
When I was a younger man, I would walk down to Belltown from Capitol Hill and go to one of my favorite bars in the city, the Lava Lounge. Beautiful old wood bar. It's no longer there. So many things close now and open up again. The historic Crocodile Cafe has moved a couple of blocks, but it's supposed to be a lot bigger now. Belltown still has its share of bars and pubs.

It's very hilly from the bay up to 2nd Ave, but it's such a walkable city. Another favorite spot for a pint is the old bar tucked in the back at The Athenian in the Pike market. They no longer have an epic beer selection, but it's all about the history.

Be sure to walk down to the Olympic sculpture Park and then nxnw along the Elliott Bay Trail. From the shore, look back to the sxse on a clear day, see Rainier, and say aloud, "The Mountain's out!"
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 03-30-23, 04:52 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,567 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by Ged117
Hi folks,

The only shop I can think of with much C&V content is Recycled Cycles. They're a full-service bike shop that sells new and used bikes and parts. I like to paw through their bins of obsolete brakes, derailers and what-not looking for that neglected gem... truthfully though, some trips I leave empty-handed, it's all been well pawed-through. And I'm weird that way, most people would rather golf. The main C&V interest is the bikes hanging from the ceiling, and the collection of the owner's favorite vintage parts locked in a glass display cabinet, that are not for sale.

Another reason to go there is they are on the north shore of Lake Union, an urban "working" lake just north of downtown. They're on the north shore looking south, so nice views of the city. Also very near Gasworks Park, which is worth the trip on its own. An old coal-gasification plant that the city acquired and made into a park, with cool steam-punk looking machinery and stuff, plus the aforementioned great views of Seattle, and a great kite-flying hill.

Also close to Recycled Cycles: Fremont Brewing, one of my fave beer makers, popular with cyclists. Their bike racks are jam-packed with bikes seemingly every time I pass by. And they are a stone's throw from Davidson Cycles, makers of custom titanium frames. All that is an easy flattish bike ride from Belltown, also well served by the bus system. The buses have bike racks too, for a hybrid trip.

Too many other great bike shops in Seattle to name them all, but ask if you want more. Ditto with the beer and food choices.

Mark B
Old 03-30-23, 09:08 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 210 Posts
If you want to take the ferry across to Bainbridge, you could check out Classic Cycles. It's about a mile or so from the ferry terminal, so you could even walk from both ends.

Any particular cuisine you're looking for, in terms of food?
Old 03-31-23, 06:38 AM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Seattle has plenty to see for sure but not sure it can really beat BC.

I'll leave it to actual locals to advise.

Will be interesting to hear how you make out on this.
Thanks! We don't often visit BC either and while there's plenty to do we figured why not visit Seattle as I haven't been to that part of the U.S. before.

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
When I was a younger man, I would walk down to Belltown from Capitol Hill and go to one of my favorite bars in the city, the Lava Lounge. Beautiful old wood bar. It's no longer there. So many things close now and open up again. The historic Crocodile Cafe has moved a couple of blocks, but it's supposed to be a lot bigger now. Belltown still has its share of bars and pubs.

It's very hilly from the bay up to 2nd Ave, but it's such a walkable city. Another favorite spot for a pint is the old bar tucked in the back at The Athenian in the Pike market. They no longer have an epic beer selection, but it's all about the history.

Be sure to walk down to the Olympic sculpture Park and then nxnw along the Elliott Bay Trail. From the shore, look back to the sxse on a clear day, see Rainier, and say aloud, "The Mountain's out!"
This is a vivid description! A few things added to the list, thanks.

Originally Posted by bulgie
The only shop I can think of with much C&V content is Recycled Cycles. They're a full-service bike shop that sells new and used bikes and parts. I like to paw through their bins of obsolete brakes, derailers and what-not looking for that neglected gem... truthfully though, some trips I leave empty-handed, it's all been well pawed-through. And I'm weird that way, most people would rather golf. The main C&V interest is the bikes hanging from the ceiling, and the collection of the owner's favorite vintage parts locked in a glass display cabinet, that are not for sale.

Another reason to go there is they are on the north shore of Lake Union, an urban "working" lake just north of downtown. They're on the north shore looking south, so nice views of the city. Also very near Gasworks Park, which is worth the trip on its own. An old coal-gasification plant that the city acquired and made into a park, with cool steam-punk looking machinery and stuff, plus the aforementioned great views of Seattle, and a great kite-flying hill.

Also close to Recycled Cycles: Fremont Brewing, one of my fave beer makers, popular with cyclists. Their bike racks are jam-packed with bikes seemingly every time I pass by. And they are a stone's throw from Davidson Cycles, makers of custom titanium frames. All that is an easy flattish bike ride from Belltown, also well served by the bus system. The buses have bike racks too, for a hybrid trip.

Too many other great bike shops in Seattle to name them all, but ask if you want more. Ditto with the beer and food choices.

Mark B
I'm hoping the weather is conducive to getting around by bike share at least in part. This is mostly meant to be a 'walk about see stuff' trip, and to try out Seattle's transit (public transport nerd here). Thanks for all of these ideas! Gasworks Park looks so cool.

Originally Posted by mhespenheide
If you want to take the ferry across to Bainbridge, you could check out Classic Cycles. It's about a mile or so from the ferry terminal, so you could even walk from both ends.

A member here posts photos from Bainbridge Island and if we had more time ideally we'd rent bikes and tour the island, but I think we'll stay on the mainland for this short visit. My wife wants to go to Din Tai Fung, that's a definite, otherwise we like to try pretty much any cuisine.
Likes For Ged117:
Old 03-31-23, 07:32 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 957 Posts
Capital Hill with many houses built about 1910 has Volunteer Park with the iconic Donut that people like to take pictures of the Space Needle. Right there at the park is the conservatory, and the Seattle Asian Art Museum.

Right next to the park is the cemetery, if you stand at the right spot one can see almost all of "The Cut" that was done to create the ship canal with "The Ballard Locks" to even the lakes Union and Washington. Not far from that view spot is where the graves of both Bruce and son Brandon Lee are laid, they get many visitors. Just down the street is the Interlocken Park a nice Forrest patch we called the ravine, down that twisting is the Hebrew Academy, and where Anne Wilson of Heart resides.

For C&V of course Recycled Cycles, another more hole in the wall is 20/20 Cycles on 21st and Union.

Further south, If you can take the jungle atmosphere of buying Bikeworks' warehouse sales on the 1st and 3rd Saturdays at 1-4pm can yield vintage, the Bikeworks' yellow house (not open on Wednesdays) is a good stop to view the glass case.
Old 03-31-23, 09:00 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,793 Times in 2,280 Posts
If you're lucky and it's a clear day, rather than go to the ultra-touristy Space Needle, consider taking the elevator up the Columbia Center. It's the tallest building in Seattle. They have a bar with food up at the top.

20th anniversary trip to Seatle with my wife
Old 03-31-23, 09:54 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3807 Post(s)
Liked 6,675 Times in 2,607 Posts
Gum wall!

Likes For nlerner:
Old 03-31-23, 10:47 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,641 Times in 944 Posts
We sure enjoyed our Seattle trip over July 4th in '21. It was 2 or 3 weeks after that shocking 100+ degree wave, but our weather couldn't have been better with clear skies & low humidity. We did the touristy things

saw the 1st major league game with fans after Covid that went to extras

Our best view of Mt Rainier came from the Bainbridge ferry

took in Gasworks Park at sunset
Likes For Deal4Fuji:
Old 03-31-23, 10:56 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,641 Times in 944 Posts
....and we got in some cycling. We stayed at a modest 2 bedroom airbnb in Freemont that was just about 300 yards from the Burke Gillman trail, we cycled to Golden Gardens Park on 2 bikes oldest daughter Aaryn brought with her from NC, & did Lime bikes for my wife & younger daughter. Went the other direction and saw the Troll, UDub campus & Google HQ that's on that beautiful lake ??? probably mentioned above somewhere

came across this surprise stopping for lunch right off the trail

and got in a day of hiking at Steven's Pass

Ged117 I hope you have as good of a time as we did - I love the PNW

Last edited by Deal4Fuji; 03-31-23 at 11:03 AM.
Likes For Deal4Fuji:
Old 03-31-23, 02:11 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by mhespenheide

Mark’s suggestion of a ferry ride is excellent as an iconic Seattle experience, as well as the visit to Classic Cycles. Several good eateries in Winslow, and as he says, easy walk on/off.

Free Range Cycles in Fremont doesn’t have classics but they do specialize in steel bikes (small shop and great ladies that own and run it).

Last edited by Dfrost; 03-31-23 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-31-23, 02:17 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
If you're lucky and it's a clear day, rather than go to the ultra-touristy Space Needle, consider taking the elevator up the Columbia Center. It's the tallest building in Seattle. They have a bar with food up at the top.

20th anniversary trip to Seatle with my wife
I’ve always heard that the best view is from the Women’s rest room.

Or Smith Tower at the south end of downtown Seattle. Not very tall, but lots of great historical photos and displays. Great food and drinks.

BTW, it’s well known in Seattle that summer doesn’t really start until July 5th, so the weather at Easter could be just about anything.

Last edited by Dfrost; 03-31-23 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-31-23, 02:58 PM
Romany275

Bikes: 89 Centurion Dave Scott IM Master, 92 Trek 950, 95 Giant ATX 870

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 17 Posts
If you find yourself down near Pike Place Market around lunchtime, pop into Kell's on Post Alley for the Danny Boy special!
Old 03-31-23, 03:08 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 1,406 Posts
Take the ferry to Bainbridge Island. Go to Classic Cycle and rent a bike. They offer both on and off-topic bikes to rent. Make sure you ride on Pleasant Beach Drive.

Old 03-31-23, 03:51 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
While at Pike Place, check out Beecher's Handmade Cheese and have a grilled cheese with their tomato soup. I second seeing the Olympic Sculpture Park nearby. We like the Seattle Library downtown, too; and are fond of Capitol Hill, where our son lives, for its general ambience and food. Other treats: a walk (2.8 mi) or cycle around Green Lake, the Ballard Locks & Fish Ladder, Ballard Farmer's Market, renting kayak(s) at Agua Verde Paddle Club (NE arm of Lake Union, near "the cut" to Union Bay farther east), Museum of Pop Culture (MoPOP, ex-Experience Music Project [EMP]) and of course the Burke-Gilman Trail.

Last edited by Charles Wahl; 03-31-23 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-31-23, 04:09 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
The Skagit Valley Tulip Festival should be in full swing by Easter. It lasts about a month. It's near Mount Vernon and would be a worthwhile stop on your trip down from Vancouver.

Mid week is less crowded than Fri-Sunday.

https://tulipfestival.org/

If you're hungry and thirsty after the acres of tulips, La Conner is just down the road, and has some good food and beer.

Last edited by Roger M; 03-31-23 at 04:39 PM.