Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cost of the average bike tune up?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-09, 07:48 PM
NomadDNA

Bikes: 1984 Claud Butler Brevet; 1994 Bridgestone XO-3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What does your local bike shop charge for a standard tune up? Post the $.

What: Cain Park Bicycle
Where: Cleveland Heights, OH
How much: $20+cost of parts
Work done: Wheel true, brake tightening, derailleur adjustments, lubrication, and tightening of nuts and bolts.

What do you guys think is "fair"? I've heard of $60, which seems too high. Some think $20 is too low...
Old 08-03-09, 08:06 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,589 Times in 1,224 Posts
$40-60 around here. But then you get the suggested replacements. I think most bikes just need cable adjustment. It's good to get if you don't understand how things work on your bike because, hopefully, they'll be able to prevent some pending problem.
Old 08-03-09, 08:11 PM
Hydrated
Reeks of aged cotton duck

Bikes: 2008 Kogswell PR mkII, 1976 Raleigh Professional, 1996 Serotta Atlanta, 1984 Trek 520, 1979 Raleigh Comp GS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
$0 in my garage.

Learn to be independent.
Likes For Hydrated:
Old 08-03-09, 08:30 PM
johnknappcc

Bikes: A beautiful columbus steel frame, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur touring bike, Currently Undergoing Overhaul

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hydrated
$0 in my garage.

Learn to be independent.
Wow, you must not value your time. I charge myself at the very least a 6 pack, maybe two.
Likes For johnknappcc:
Old 08-03-09, 08:33 PM
mzeffex 

Bikes: Something Canadian, something Italian, something American, and something German

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
$40 to $60? $20?!? my shop charges $79. The one I work at. That's cheaper than every other one around here, by the minimum of $6. Plus, we are the only one that actually cleans the bikes. $20 for a tune up.. man..

Last edited by cb400bill; 11-02-20 at 04:00 AM.
Likes For mzeffex:
Old 08-03-09, 08:44 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Originally Posted by NomadDNA
What do you guys think is "fair"? I've heard of $60, which seems too high. Some think $20 is too low...
A very basic question - how long would it take you to do a tune-up? Second question is how much would you charge in just your labor? Multiply your hourly labor by at least two or maybe 2.5 and that's the shop's cost of doing business.
Old 08-03-09, 08:48 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
I do a full overhaul once a year.
Likes For Panthers007:
Old 08-03-09, 08:58 PM
mzeffex 

Bikes: Something Canadian, something Italian, something American, and something German

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
What do you pay for it? We charge 170
Old 08-03-09, 09:22 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

I do it myself as I want it done right.
Likes For Panthers007:
Old 08-03-09, 09:46 PM
pchopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hydrated
$0 in my garage.

Learn to be independent.
Learning to be independent costs a lot But the tools are a one time purchase, eventually they pay for themselves
Old 08-03-09, 10:16 PM
Widsith
Philologist

Bikes: Univega Gran Turismo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My favorite LBS charges $59.95 for a tune-up, which includes: cleaning, lubing, wheel truing, drivetrain adjustment, brake adjustment, wear inspection and safety inspection. If you buy your bike from them, they offer a three-year service plan with unlimited tune-ups for $89.95.

Another LBS in my area offers a basic tune-up for $70.00, which includes: adjust brakes, adjust gears, true wheels, adjust hubs, adjust bottom bracket, adjust headset and frame wipe-down. For $110.00 they do the basic tune-up plus replacing all brake and shift cables/housings. For $200.00 they do all of the above plus remove all parts, thorough drivetrain/parts cleaning and rebuild all bearing assemblies.

For me, all I spend is my time, plus the cost of parts. I only pay a shop to do things I can't do for myself (which to date has consisted only of removing a stuck freewheel for me). As far as I'm concerned, doing the work myself is a large part of the fun of owning a bicycle.
Old 08-03-09, 11:00 PM
Tentacle Master
46 bikes and counting...

Bikes: 1992 Trek multitrack 700 sourgrape with red decals, 1992 Trek multtrack 700 (with 1" threadless conversion), 2009 jamis Aurora Elite, 2007 Jamis Cross Country 2.0, 1981 Trek 613, 1980's Fuji "Redlof" folding bike, Iron Horse AT-70 with 48cc motor....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shops around here offer free tuneups for the life of the bike (first owner). I plan to do the same. Here for instance a tuneups come in 2 degrees, the cheapest being $45. It includes truing the wheels adjusting brakes/pads, shifting front/rear, tire air pressure, good chain cleaning, mild drive train cleaning, and depending on how much they like the bike they may give it anywhere from a quick wipe down to a using an entire roll of paper towels and 8 gals of cleaner. the more expensive tuneup for $75 throws in overhualing headset, BB, and hubs.
Old 08-03-09, 11:39 PM
ScottNotBombs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$75 here, for the cheapest tune up.
Adjust brakes, Adjust deraileurs, True wheels, Adjust all bearings, Lubricate chain and cables, Tighten all bolts and hardware and Light cleaning
Old 08-03-09, 11:56 PM
Wordbiker
Pwnerer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I charge $40 and wash the bike.
Old 08-04-09, 05:03 AM
nitropowered

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
$45, adjust gears and brakes, adjust hubs, true wheels, clean bike, check all bolts
Old 08-04-09, 05:51 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
At our shop:

$30: Adjust brake and shifter cables
$65: Adjust brake and shifter cables, true wheels, adjust headset, adjust BB, adjust wheel bearings, safety check
$125: Same as above, plus free labor on cable/housing replacement, clean and polish bike, degrease/re-lube drivetrain
$225: Bike completely stripped down to frame, reassembled with new lube everywhere.

Chances are, if you come in for the $30 tune, you get most of the $65 tune anyway, not just the simple cable adjustments. And at $65, you get most of the $125 tune.
Likes For mconlonx:
Old 08-04-09, 08:02 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by pchopper
Learning to be independent costs a lot But the tools are a one time purchase, eventually they pay for themselves
Well, this is a hobby so I always considered learning to do my own work and buying the tools to be part of the cost. However, it's a part that does pay for itself and rather quickly too.

As to the "cost" of your time, how much time and automobile cost does it take to drive the bike to the LBS and go back to pick it up when (and if) the work is done? And, you are without the bike while it's being serviced. DIY is both fun and economically justified.

I do my own oil changes too and have been asked; "where do you get the time?" I ask; "where do you get the time to drive to the dealer/garage/QuickLube shop, wait for the car and drive home? Or worse, have someone follow you there and bring you back and repeat the trip later." My oil changes take 20 minutes and part of that is just letting the old oil drain so I can do something else while waiting.
Old 08-04-09, 10:18 AM
memnoch_proxy
nw commuter

Bikes: trek antelope, trek 3900

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 HillRider

My LBS open up later than I get to work and closed before I leave for work. I'd have to ride 40min back into town for a visit or wait until a weekend. As a parent, weekends are often busier than weekdays ;-) so I can't predict when I'll make it to the LBS. So basic tune up tasks for me was an essential kinda thing, especially bike commuting 5/week + weekend errands.

But the ironic bit I wanted to point out was: my LBS states 2-week turn around for bike maintenance, and call-ahead schedule only for tune ups. I have two bikes already and I keep both in shape to commute with. One is the cargo bike that can tow the tag-along, the other is the fun bike. However, if one of them actually goes out of commission for two weeks, that'd suck so much! I'd rather drag the space heater into my freezing garage at midnight so I could get the bike working unless it wasn't something I actually couldn't fix.
Old 08-04-09, 03:50 PM
mwchandler21

Bikes: T1K

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the Nashville area I've seen between $50 to $200 depending on the store and how much you want them to work on the bike.
Old 08-04-09, 03:50 PM
NomadDNA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mzeffex
$40 to $60? $20?!? Jesus Christ, my shop charges $79. The one I work at. That's cheaper than every other one around here, by the minimum of $6. Plus, we are the only one that actually cleans the bikes. $20 for a tune up.. man..
The shop that I work at doesn't clean the bikes (though we do for customers we like/bikes we like). Nor do we take apart any of the BB joints (hubs/bottom brackets/headsets).

But I can't understand how you could charge more than... say... $30 for a tune up.

Adjusting derailleurs, on average, takes, what? Maybe 5 minutes? You tighten the cable (if necessary) and adjust the screw-delimiters. Brakes? Tighten cables and adjust/replace pads. Lubrication? Hit the chain/screws, etc. Wheel-truing takes the longest, with, on average, taking maybe 10-20 minutes. A tune up, on average, probably takes 30-60 minutes. (Ok, yes... It's true; some customers come it with nasty, corroded bikes from the winter, which can sometimes take hours).

Assuming a mechanic is getting paid $12/hr, that's $6-$12 COST.... Multiply that by 2 for profit, that's $12-$24 per tune up.

So how can shops justify more than that? $50?? 70?? Wow... I. Don't. Understand.

Last edited by NomadDNA; 08-04-09 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-04-09, 04:17 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I also charge $40.00 Cdn (35.00 U.S.) for a basic tuneup (no parts) which will get the derailers and brakes adjusted, the bearings will be checked and adjusted, the wheels will get a minor true, and the bike will come back clean and shiny.

My policy is to tell folks this is the base price and that if less is needed I will adjust the bill and if additional work is needed will call for approval unless pre-approval has been given. Just about everyone pre-approves any minor parts like cables and brake pads.

For those folks that complain about the price they have to understand that we are working on bikes that are new to us so besides the actual work, we have to go over the bike to check everything. I always test ride bikes after they are done as many issues can not be detected on the stand.

A complete tear down and overhaul at my shop runs $90.00 plus parts so will usualy cost around $120.00 unless major parts need replacing.

I am not some 20 year old newb looking to make some part time money or get a shop discount and have been told by quite a few people I am the best mechanic in the city.

That isn't quite right as there are 2 guys I would trust to work on my bike... one is in Australia and now has his own shop.

Both have worked as mechanics at our co-op and have incredible skills.
Old 08-04-09, 04:40 PM
bikemeister

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Panthers007
I do it myself as I want it done right.

It depends on what you have done. Sure, to adjust cables and tighten the handful of nuts and bolts goes quick and they might slide by for $20 - considering statistics prove you'll buy some accessories or something else while you're there. That's where the real "gravy" is - impulse buying. A new bag, a pair of water bottles, some of their sponsored energy bars, etc.
Now, if you're going to do a REAL overhaul - including disassembly, cleaning, and repacking, for both wheel bearings and headset and BB, plus truing the wheels, and oiling and adjusting all working components, that ain't going to be done for $20.
Old 08-04-09, 04:49 PM
NomadDNA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess it depends what your *average* customer is looking for. I have the feeling that the average customer in Cleveland isn't looking for an overhaul. While, in Portland, OR, more discriminating customers may be looking for something a little better.

Most bikes that come into the bikeshop don't need re-lubricated hubs, headsets, or BB's (though, some 10y/o+ bikes do). So why charge most customers for service that most bikes don't need?
Old 08-04-09, 05:54 PM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
There are two big benefits to doing your own work. 1) You can keep your ride in perfect trim, all the time, and 2) you can do adjustments in the field with confidence. This makes it worth the effort.

The downside; your buddies will want you to keep their rides in perfect tune, too. You will get very little appreciation for doing this, and there will be a lot of whining about price, should they need parts. D-d-do I really need a new cassette now? Why, I just paid a whole $15.00 for a new chain! (overlooking the fact that they aren't paying you) Kinda makes it not worth it. bk

Last edited by bkaapcke; 08-04-09 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-04-09, 06:44 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

I've never encountered the behavior you describe. My friends got interested and watched and learned. Soon they were doing their own wrenching. Sounds like you may need some new friends.
Likes For Panthers007:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.