Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Best S.F. Bay Area Bike Swap?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Best S.F. Bay Area Bike Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-18, 11:26 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,589 Times in 1,224 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
Is the swap at The Pedaler still going? I'm ready to unload most everything.
The Pedaler went to once a year, in October, and has free spaces now. Wasn't advertised much this year but if the sellers were to take over that part, it might bring back the glory days... Jeff, the owner, recently unloaded a whole container of parts in a free pile.
Old 02-06-18, 09:24 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by djkashuba
I need to downsize and am too lazy to ship. Can anyone suggest a good bike swap in the S.F. Bay area to sell vintage stuff?

Thanks,

-D
Funny I was just checking on our actual local one... (sonoma county bike expo) and I can't find any up to date info. Same for the Napa one, should you find one actually in our area please let me know and I'll do the same. I guess we could always drive up to Lake county.. always lots of "discount" bicycles up there...
Old 02-06-18, 10:01 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
For those who are riding or visiting Eroica California 2018, April 14-15, there is the Saturday Festival in the Paso Robles Downtown Park complete with vendors and swap tables which of course will be vintage geared. Last year had a turnout of (I think) 16-24 swap tables, it was a lot of stuff! Prices all over of course depending on part type, condition, rarity, etc., a ton of parts I've never seen before in the flesh. Also a bunch of frames, clothing and bike ephemera too.

The vendors tents also had a number of local (SLO) and not local (SF, LA) shops with new and used gear too.

So a great (IMO) but smaller and focused vintage swap but you get a huge exposure to >900 vintage riders and bike owners, you can visit the huge vintage bike display and concours bikes - want to see 40 Masi, 30 Colnagos, 3 Confente, 30 Bianchis, various specialty Italian, US, UK, European and Japanese bikes, more Raleighs, Peugeots, Motobecanes, than you can shake a stick at, etc. and other Bike boom bikes all gathered in one place?

Of course, there's also Paso Robles (wineries, art, olive farms, smaller town peace and quiet) and to the west at the coast Cambria, Cayucos, and further north San Simeon / Hearst Castle, and south to SLO and Moro Bay to enjoy, plenty of fun roads to explore if you're not riding the event, a pre-race dinner by a 4 star chef from Italy and open to everyone, and the challenge of Eroica's 4 routes if you do decide to participate. There's even a new trial run of Nova Eroica for modern bikes too.

Camping and RV (Gugie is organizing an RV trip from the Bay Area, sounds like fun!) options will be available soon for attendees, plus AirBnB and other rentals in and around Paso Robles are still available, even better when you share with some friends.

Come in for the day, the Fri-Sat festivities, or make a fun weekend complete with challenging Classic vintage Eroica ride, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

If you want to be a swap vendor, see eroicacalifornia.com for more info, look under Festival - Vendors and there is a separate page for Swap Meet. In any case, buying or selling, this is a really focused vintage event with a lot more bike people attending, and I dare say, some bringing some decent money with them. For example, I bought a very nice condition Campagnolo Nuovo Record Factory triple crankset, pre-73, complete with all bolts and spacers, factory 52-42 and rare factory 36 inner chainring for less than a Benjamin.

As always, stuff priced to sell will sell, but desirable pieces will have a nice audience as well. Of course, maintain good security regarding your stuff before, during and after the event.

Hope to see some of you there, say Hello! I am not affiliated but am going on my second ride and had a blast the last two years. I will be attending as part of the
Classic Rendezvous and BF contingent.

Last edited by mech986; 02-06-18 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-07-18, 05:25 PM
mech986 

Eroica Swap Meet registration now open, not inexpensive at $50 but probably worth it.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/eroica-...=eventurl_text
Old 02-07-18, 05:49 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

I was searching for the SF Expo and I see they moved it to the Craneway Pavilion in Richmond last year. That's in my backyard and I heard nothing about it.
Old 02-08-18, 10:37 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
I was searching for the SF Expo and I see they moved it to the Craneway Pavilion in Richmond last year. That's in my backyard and I heard nothing about it.
there was a thread reviewing the event: summation was lower attendance and fewer sellers than the old Cow palace site but high marks for the venue itself. Low marks for the poor job of promoting it and too bad that Richmond is a bit too far for some folks to go: Cow Palace was a bit dumpy but has sort of ease of access for people from SF City and Peninsula, not horrible for the inner East Bay plus both MUNI and SAMTRANS service.
Old 02-08-18, 10:57 AM
curbtender

They are working on ferry service there. Yes, it's a nice venue and yes, it's secluded. I'll keep my eye out for the next show.
Old 02-08-18, 10:57 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
I've worked in Richmond for 39 years and I've never heard of Craneway Pavillion before. I guess I need to get out of my cubicle more.
Old 02-08-18, 12:03 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
I've worked in Richmond for 39 years and I've never heard of Craneway Pavillion before. I guess I need to get out of my cubicle more.
Had to look it up myself - interesting.

Didn't see the Expo in the calendar though.
Old 02-08-18, 07:35 PM
curbtender

Part of the Bay trail and Rosie the Riveter. It's the old Ford plant. Nice place to start a ride out to the Bay bridge.
Old 02-26-18, 10:40 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by jetboy
I will go ask at Color Wheel- last we talked he had indicated he was thinking about maybe getting a swap together- I think if I offered to help it would probably happen. We would have to ask the city if we could use the grassy area of the park but emeryville is pretty open to that sort of thing- I have seen various businesses use the area for events.

If its the weekend then there is lots of parking. emeryville is a 9-5pm weekday sort of town.
pic of park:

Did you ever ask the Color Wheel folks if they would host a swap?
I'm still keen for us C&V types to pick a Bay Area swap and converge on it.
Brent
Old 02-26-18, 11:22 AM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
not yet! ill do it I was away last week.
Old 03-06-18, 02:21 PM
jetboy 

Originally Posted by obrentharris
Did you ever ask the Color Wheel folks if they would host a swap?
I'm still keen for us C&V types to pick a Bay Area swap and converge on it.
Brent
NEWS: well, after a bought with the flu I finally got to ask at Color wheel and hes so into it that he wants to do one April 1st AND 29th. Emeryville has been trying to promote Bike to Work and he wants to set up his repair stand and get people together with bikes and bike parts to get more people on the road.

Seems too quick to organize fully for the 1st, but maybe a small preview/trial run on the 1st then plan for a larger swap on the 29th?
Old 03-06-18, 03:08 PM
curbtender

Thanks for getting that together. Had a setback with surgery so I'll see where I'm at in recovery.
Old 03-06-18, 04:08 PM
jetboy 

yeah you sort of mentioned- hope recovery goes well.
Old 03-06-18, 04:25 PM
sofauxboho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NEWS: well, after a bought with the flu I finally got to ask at Color wheel and hes so into it that he wants to do one April 1st AND 29th. Emeryville has been trying to promote Bike to Work and he wants to set up his repair stand and get people together with bikes and bike parts to get more people on the road.

Seems too quick to organize fully for the 1st, but maybe a small preview/trial run on the 1st then plan for a larger swap on the 29th?
I'd be down for either the 1st or the 29th. Shockingly, I'm available for either. And I've certainly got enough goodies I'm looking to part with.

BTW, jetboy, the Bottecchia is coming along nicely and should be ready in plenty of time for Eroica. Hope to have pictures to share soon.

Ok, back to lurking...
Old 03-06-18, 05:00 PM
jetboy 

hah. Nice @sofauxboho, I actually got the Bottecchia from @curbtender ! I am glad it found a good home. I will keep you all posted.
Old 03-06-18, 06:34 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,131 Posts

Bravo!
I'm not sure how well the 1st will work out since that's Easter this year but I'll try to be at both.
Brent
Old 03-06-18, 08:02 PM
delicious

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Nice! I'll try to make it on the 29th.
Old 03-06-18, 08:19 PM
jetboy 

Originally Posted by obrentharris
Bravo!
I'm not sure how well the 1st will work out since that's Easter this year but I'll try to be at both.
Brent
Hah. Yeah ill see if we can shoot for the 29th. I cant do easter!
Old 03-07-18, 02:37 PM
mech986 

Originally Posted by sofauxboho
I'd be down for either the 1st or the 29th. Shockingly, I'm available for either. And I've certainly got enough goodies I'm looking to part with.

BTW, jetboy, the Bottecchia is coming along nicely and should be ready in plenty of time for Eroica. Hope to have pictures to share soon.

Ok, back to lurking...
So are either or both of you going to Eroica California this year? If so, please chime / check in on my Eroica California thread. We're trying to get a nice count and some activities / donations / meet up.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-question.html
Old 03-08-18, 04:03 PM
jetboy 

No Eroica for me. but maybe we can get this swap together and help some who might be going. Ok, I met with Omar from Color Wheel this morning and they are going to check in with the city of emeryville today and tomorrow about possible dates: Emeryville had actually asked them to do something in prep for Ride to Work day, which is March 10th: So we are hoping we can get them on board easily enough and even borrow some tents and tables and maybe a big banner or two.

Tentatively looking at that 29th date and hope its open, but will get back to you on that. Its still in early planning but from my side of things (Backstage) and Color wheel, we were thinking to set up a repair stand and bring out parts and bikes and try to get as many people riding home from the event as possible- with either fixed or new (to them) bikes. SO basic sections:

1. Fixit section: get a tune-up use those parts/bikes you just bought in section 2
2. Swap section: community (you guys) bring your stuff and grab a table or a patch of ground and set up.
3. Food section: see if we can get a food truck, and have water, lemonade- refreshments of various kinds.
4. Play section: kids bike circuit, bike games, random games- basic kids section (we all have kids).
Old 03-09-18, 09:44 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
quote:"...Ride to Work day, which is March 10th..."
Bike to work (or ride to work) day in most of the Bay Area is Thursday MAY 10th, tho in some parts (and Nationally) it's always the 3rd Friday of May which makes it May 18th, 2018.
In any case I'm making plans to sell at either day if not both April 1 and April 29 tho the Easter date might be limited, so keep the thread updated and I'll be checking back. THANKS for your efforts on this!
Old 03-09-18, 09:46 AM
jetboy 

yarg. thanks. march, may you know... M months.
Old 03-09-18, 10:15 AM
djkashuba 

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champion, Raleigh International, Bertin, Raleigh DL-1 1980, Colnago Super,Follis, Bianchi Competizione, Brompton M6L, Black Mountain Monstercros

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 151 Posts
Thanks for working on this @jetboy!

-D

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.