Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Got fed up, and I think it was a good thing

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 08-28-22, 02:25 PM
exercion

Bikes: Cannondales: Synapse 5 Carbon and F5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 34 Posts

Hadn't been riding in awhile. I let work, weather, and depression keep me on the couch instead of the bike. Which wasn't exactly a good thing, as you can guess. Anyway, I kicked myself out of the house with the bike, and out onto a section of the Great Allegheny Passage. Put in 32 miles, climbed some, and stopped for pictures. It's such a beautiful trail, and this section has interesting features, scenery, and engineering feats of tunnels and bridges. Rode from Garrett, PA to the MD/PA border and back.

Salisbury Viaduct

Big Savage Tunnel

Salisbury Viaduct from a distance.
Old 08-28-22, 02:52 PM
streetsurfer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 155 Posts
Much more appealing than the couch.

nice pictures!
Likes For streetsurfer:
Old 08-28-22, 06:59 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Great ride!!!

I need to follow your example, I also let work, depression and some flu-like virus (not COVID) keep me on the couch. This needs to change!
Likes For csport:
Old 08-28-22, 07:25 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by exercion
Hadn't been riding in awhile. I let work, weather, and depression keep me on the couch instead of the bike. Which wasn't exactly a good thing, as you can guess. Anyway, I kicked myself out of the house with the bike, and out onto a section of the Great Allegheny Passage. Put in 32 miles, climbed some, and stopped for pictures. It's such a beautiful trail, and this section has interesting features, scenery, and engineering feats of tunnels and bridges. Rode from Garrett, PA to the MD/PA border and back.
Salisbury Viaduct
Big Savage Tunnel
wow! gorgeous! spooky after sunset eh? I think those high trestles would be outright scary after dark!
Old 08-29-22, 05:13 AM
Grudey1
Suburban Dad

Bikes: 2019 Trek Domane SL5 Disc, 2021 Giant Talon 2, 2012 Trek 7.1 FX, 2005 Trek Fuel 70, 2003 Trek 4500

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
Riding this from Pittsburgh to DC is a bucket list item for me.
Likes For Grudey1:
Old 08-29-22, 07:51 AM
exercion

Originally Posted by Grudey1
Riding this from Pittsburgh to DC is a bucket list item for me.
Go for it! I rode the GAP last year, Cumberland to Pittsburgh, had hoped to do the C&O from Cumberland to DC this year but probably won't get to it.

Eric
Old 08-29-22, 07:53 AM
exercion

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
wow! gorgeous! spooky after sunset eh? I think those high trestles would be outright scary after dark!
HHmmm haven't been on it at night yet...could be interesting
Likes For exercion:
Old 08-29-22, 09:50 AM
Frank72

Bikes: 2022 Ribble Endurance Disc Sport 2018 Trek Emonda Al4, 2012 Motobecane Heat Ti,

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 67 Posts
Great Ride!! Gorgeous pictures and scenery!
Old 08-29-22, 10:41 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
I can easily procrastinate going riding. "I'll go later today." Ha. Once I'm riding, it's always good. Riding with a small group that has a set start time helps me -- that's key for getting out a few times every week.

GAP trail
A few years ago, I did some long day rides on the trail. Out and back rides -- it's interesting to see the same scenes later in the day, from the other direction. I routed "uphill" outbound, so the return mostly had a very slight downhill grade -- I could tell the difference! I could wait for really nice weather, no advance planning needed.

At the Mason-Dixon line:

A model of the surveyor's chain.

~~~

Shady forest paths are what I remember from most of the miles I rode.

And some spectacular scenes too.

Last edited by rm -rf; 08-29-22 at 10:44 AM.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 08-29-22, 03:27 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Weather and laziness has kept me off my bike a lot this year. Spring started out cold & rainy and stayed that way, then at the end of May it went from cold & rainy to incredibly hot. So I hadn't really felt much like riding in 100 degree heat. Plus I think a little bit of it was depression. So last Monday I decided to get back on the bike, and at 5 AM I got dressed in my biking clothes, put on my helmet & gloves, pulled my bike out the back door and was ready to ride, only to find that the rear tire was flat. So I took it to the shop only to find that the rim tape was old and deteriorating. My wife was headed for another town where there was a bike shop so sent her to get some new rim tape. Unfortunately I didn't look at Google close enough to see that they are closed on Mondays. So ordered some from Jeff Bezos' space program funding site but it took it a week to arrive. Thankfully I got it last Friday and was able to install it quickly. Looking at the old rim tape on the front wheel it's a miracle I didn't get a flat tire on the front, too, since at least one of the spoke holes was almost completely open. But anyway, this morning got up and did my usual 10 miles. Yes, I felt like I was totally out of shape, but I did manage to hit 12 MPH average speed. At the end of the ride I felt like my legs were finally warmed up for a ride and if I'd had the time I'd have gone longer, but I needed to get ready for work. Tomorrow morning, as long as it's not raining, I'll get out and do it again.
Old 09-01-22, 03:20 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
exercion and rm -rf *
These photos are so awesome they should be illegal.
I rode the GAP in July as a part of a tour, still they make me wanna come back and ride it again.

Last edited by csport; 09-01-22 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-01-22, 08:50 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
I’ve done the GAP twice starting in Pittsburgh during self contained trips to Philly. I also did an up and back starting in Cumberland to have dinner with an old friend in Pittsburgh, where I went to law school. The last time I rode it (2020) I took a short side trip to see Buffalo Bill’s house from The Silence of the Lambs.

It’s a nice ride and particularly friendly to those looking to plan their first multi-day trip because there are numerous overnight options, whether you sleep indoors or tent it. Finding places to eat is easy. Decent enough grocery stores can also be found.

Buffalo Bill’s house. Basement scenes filmed elsewhere. It’s now available to rent. You can also buy gifts on line, including Skin Suit So Soft Lotion.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-23-22, 02:40 AM
Chicken_fat

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by exercion

Salisbury Viaduct

Big Savage Tunnel

Getting into a regular riding routine has been the best therapy for depression I’ve found. It also provides many other health benefits. I don’t always enjoy Pennsylvania seasonal weather, but I am always glad I went when the ride is done.