Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Buying new fatbike

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Buying new fatbike

Old 10-29-22, 12:41 PM
Doyofwar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buying new fatbike

Hi everyone im Doy. Im new here, i really badly needed your advices. Im planning to buy cf dude 7, my questions are. 1. Does riding without suspension good? 2. Should i make my tire tubeless?
thanx everyone.
Old 10-29-22, 12:48 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Take a TEST Ride.

Old 10-29-22, 01:16 PM
Doyofwar

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Take a TEST Ride.
Ok, ill try it. If its ok to the company. Does it matter if tires are tubeless or not?
Tnx by the way
Old 10-29-22, 08:16 PM
Airfehr

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Doyofwar
Ok, ill try it. If its ok to the company. Does it matter if tires are tubeless or not?
Tnx by the way
Tubeless or not is just a personal preference. I like tubeless. My buddy likes tubes.
Old 10-30-22, 08:54 AM
UnCruel 

Bikes: Trek Émonda SL 5, Trek Checkpoint SL 5, Giant Trance X 2, Trek Farley

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 52 Posts
Not many test ride opportunities for Canyon, an online retailer, unless you happen to live near Carlsbad, California.

With the low tire pressures used for fat tires, the tires will absorb much of the surface irregularities without suspension. However, there's a limit to that. Just guessing, it might be equivalent to maybe 30mm or 50mm of suspension travel, depending on tire width and air pressure. Whether or not that will work for you depends on the type of riding you plan to do.

You can read about the pros and cons of tubeless and tubes just about anywhere. Specific to fatbikes, tubes are quite heavy and add significant weight, and weight in wheels/tires is where it is most disadvantageous. Also, very low pressures are common on fatbikes (I have sometimes run less than 4 PSI), and pinch flats are a risk with tubes.

On the Canyon Dude CF 7, I'd be concerned about max tire width. They don't exactly come out and say it, but 3.8" seems to be the max tire width for 27.5" tires on that frame. That's going to limit the already limited selection of 27.5" fat tires.
Likes For UnCruel:
Old 10-31-22, 09:57 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by Doyofwar
Hi everyone im Doy. Im new here, i really badly needed your advices. Im planning to buy cf dude 7, my questions are. 1. Does riding without suspension good? 2. Should i make my tire tubeless?
thanx everyone.
1. In my humble opinion, there is little need for suspension with a fatbike. I use my tire pressure to adjust for the terrain ... rough and rocky, lower pressure; or smooth and firm terrain with higher pressure. If you're planning to ride terrain that requires suspension, a fatbike is likely the wrong bike.

2. Tubeless is great, but it helps if you've got the tools and skills to set it up at home. I've stayed with tubes because my bike is old (not tubeless ready), but with tubeless you'll notice a much quicker acceleration and will make the tires more subtle over rough stuff.
Old 11-08-22, 06:35 AM
pipeliner

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 40 Posts
Fezzari has a sale on their fatbikes now. Really like the geo of that frame and pricing is tough to beat for carbon.