Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on HP Velotechnic 26 and 20?

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Old 02-11-23, 10:49 AM
newbert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts

After looking at online reviews etc, I'm considering ordering an HP Velotechnic FS (Full Suspension) 26 (or 20) trike. I do plan on taking a test ride or two first of course, but not until March when springtime arrives.

Until then I'd appreciate hearing any first-hand thoughts, positive or negative, about these trikes (or HP Velotechnic in general) from anyone who has had experience riding them. I will be riding in a fairly hilly area with a mix of tarmac and gravel/dirt roads and trails and I ride for exercise and fun. I hope to average 20-25 miles on a typical ride.

I'm looking mainly for comfort, smooth ride, and reliability and plan to add e-assist to it. Since I'll occassionally transport it by car, I'd appreciate any thoughts on it's ease of foldability, as well.

So, any thoughts/experiences with the HP Velotechnic FS 26 or 20?

Thanks!
Old 02-11-23, 05:13 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 521 Posts
Don't get me wrong. It's a NICE trike. I'd buy it (but probably would get the ICE counterpart) but at the end of the day its designed to be a go fast race trike. Performance first, in other words. Comfort and reliability are in second place. There must be other trikes better suited for your druthers. That's me take.
Old 02-11-23, 05:34 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
If you haven't already, ask here. You might have more feedback: RECUMBENTS - BentRider Online Forums
Old 02-12-23, 01:05 AM
Leisesturm

https://www.icetrikes.co/products/adventure-hd
Old 02-12-23, 01:43 PM
newbert

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I see that Great Minds Think Alike! (sort of ) I was considering the Ice Adventure, as well - and I'm still mulling it over. AFAIK, the HP has more travel in it's suspension (meaning more compliant ride) than the ICE and I think it's a bit more configurable too. (But I'll have to double-check that.)
Old 02-12-23, 05:19 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
HP Velotechnik Scorpion Plus 20 Test Ride - BentRider Online Forums
Likes For linberl:
Old 02-14-23, 12:59 PM
Leisesturm

I have always preferred the ICE aesthetic to the HPV designs. IMO the ICE VTX is significantly more desirable than the HPV Scorpion FX26. However, there is, I think, less daylight between the ICE Adventure and the HPV Scorpion Enduro. I'm wondering how the o.p. came to the FS26 for mixed road/trail use, recreational riding, when the Scorpion Enduro (with e-assist) is turn-key (seemingly) exactly what they want? I think I would be asking for (demanding actually, given the MSRP) for a tire swap for more streetable tires than the OEM full knobbies). I'm not sure what either trike costs but it's got to be significant. Maybe the price difference, if any, can swing the decision. Either one looks like a solid performer.
Old 02-20-23, 08:26 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 405 Posts
I have a 26 and 20 Catrike and believe I can say the 26 is a smoother ride but the wheelbase is also slightly longer which should have an effect as well.
Old 02-20-23, 08:39 PM
newbert

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I have always preferred the ICE aesthetic to the HPV designs. IMO the ICE VTX is significantly more desirable than the HPV Scorpion FX26. However, there is, I think, less daylight between the ICE Adventure and the HPV Scorpion Enduro. I'm wondering how the o.p. came to the FS26 for mixed road/trail use, recreational riding, when the Scorpion Enduro (with e-assist) is turn-key (seemingly) exactly what they want? I think I would be asking for (demanding actually, given the MSRP) for a tire swap for more streetable tires than the OEM full knobbies). I'm not sure what either trike costs but it's got to be significant. Maybe the price difference, if any, can swing the decision. Either one looks like a solid performer.
O.P here. Thanks for pointing that out about the Enduro. Unfortunately, while its specs seem to fit my needs well, It's a bit hard to find - especially for a test-ride. Since the Enduro is based upon the FS26 (from what I've read) and the FS26 seems to be easier to find, that's the model that I referenced in my original post. Nothing against the Enduro though.
Old 03-19-23, 06:00 PM
newbert

FWIW: A few videos about the Enduro:

Last edited by newbert; 03-19-23 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-29-23, 04:00 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
I just bought a used FS 26. The price was too tempting. I am still getting used to it. It is actually my first trike. I did not buy it for speed but for comfort. Plus I commute by bike and the trails I am riding have bridges with wooden decks. These get awfully slippery when wet and I already had two crashes on my two wheel recumbents. So far it is ok but the standard Ergomesh seat does not work for me and my back and neck problems. I want to replace this seat with the Premium XL seat which has a much higher backrest and it is wider. In addition I need to replace the front suspension with the more stiffer suspension. What I really like about HPVelotechnik is the way you can customize the bike. Especially in regards to the size and weight of the rider. The biggest issue I am having with recumbents in general is the lack of seat choices for tall riders such as me.
This brings me to the disadvantage of HP. Not many dealers in the US which have bikes to test ride. Especially with the XL seats. I hope that Premium XL seat will work for me. Otherwise I may be forced to sell the bike again.