Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

TPU Tubes

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

TPU Tubes

Old 03-03-23, 10:12 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10952 Post(s)
Liked 4,608 Times in 2,114 Posts
TPU Tubes

I bought eight TPU tubes mainly for spare tubes to carry in my pocket because they are so small and light. That got me wondering if anyone runs them for daily use. I mean, 36g, I'd like to try and maybe will but I'd like to get a report from people who've used them daily.

Old 03-03-23, 01:13 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 1,842 Times in 1,060 Posts
daily - no

but I’ve been running them on two bikes for a couple of years (and also have them on a third bike that should see more use this year)

I have Schwalbe Aerothan TPU tubes on two bikes - 700c Race and Endurance tubes

did have issue with the valve stem - Silca pump head would not stay on ... had to use a thread on attachment ...and one time as I removed / ham-fisted the attachment from the valve stem I pulled the guts out also

got a Hiro head for the Silca pump - but instead been using a battery powered inflator (with screw on attachment)

have Pirelli Cinturato TPU tubes on another bike - 650b - but that bike has seen little use (but will see more use in the future)

also have Revoloop Tubes tubes - but have not used them ... went with the Pirelli tubes instead (was not fond of the size / ‘flimsiness’ of the Revoloop)

in the past - years ago - I ran latex tubes - road and off road bikes ... mostly Air-B ... they were great - but as most are aware you gotta pump em up before every ride

not the case with the Aerothan TPU tubes - they hold air similar to a butyl tube

Last edited by t2p; 03-03-23 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-03-23, 03:27 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Thanks for the info. I think I’m going to set a bike up with them and see how it goes. I’ll take a butyl tube along just in case.

Old 03-03-23, 05:18 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Take two
Old 03-03-23, 07:52 PM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 1,037 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I bought eight TPU tubes mainly for spare tubes to carry in my pocket because they are so small and light. That got me wondering if anyone runs them for daily use. I mean, 36g, I'd like to try and maybe will but I'd like to get a report from people who've used them daily.
Running TPU tubes on my road bike right now. I also have tubeless tires, but it's easier for me to switch between my summer and winter road slicks. I'd also carry/use glueless patches. They adhere better to the TPU material and are more secure to patch up that way.
Old 03-03-23, 08:45 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 311 Posts
I use TPU tubes from AliExpress (Ridenow). Impressed with the weight but I feel they are not a supple as latex (maybe comparable to a thin butyl). Not a lot of miles on them but I like them generally. A good way to shed some rotational mass.

I have gotten flats and while I have a repair kit I am only 50% successful in patching (carefully and exactly as instructed). I've since found that Gorilla Glue tape works pretty well as a patch.
Old 03-03-23, 10:47 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,025 Posts
Thanks for the info. I think I’m going to set a bike up with them and see how it goes. I’ll take a butyl tube along just in case.
See how what goes? What do you imagine butyl will do for you TPU cannot?
Old 03-04-23, 07:53 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by chaadster
See how what goes? What do you imagine butyl will do for you TPU cannot?
Oh, good, sounds like you have experience. How did it go?

Old 03-04-23, 05:32 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Oh, good, sounds like you have experience. How did it go?

Indeed I do…I’ve posted about them many times, and have been running Aerothan pretty much since they came out; I couldn’t even find them stateside at the time, and had to order out of shop in Germany. They’re great, is the short of it, but I can speak to attributes like repairability, too, if you’d like.
Old 03-05-23, 07:13 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by chaadster
Indeed I do…I’ve posted about them many times, and have been running Aerothan pretty much since they came out; I couldn’t even find them stateside at the time, and had to order out of shop in Germany. They’re great, is the short of it, but I can speak to attributes like repairability, too, if you’d like.
Thanks. Glad to hear it. I ordered eight from Aliexpress and a patch kit came with them. I installed them yesterday and will do my first ride today.

Old 03-07-23, 09:24 PM
roadie276

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I switched to running Tubolito TPU tubes halfway through the season last year, largely for the weight savings. They're stupidly expensive, but fare actually not terribly in grams per dollar cost when you look at things like higher end bikes/wheels/helmets/etc. I've flatted just once in a circumstance I think a regular butyl tube also would have flatted in. So basically, so far, so good.
Old 03-08-23, 07:35 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by roadie276
I switched to running Tubolito TPU tubes halfway through the season last year, largely for the weight savings. They're stupidly expensive, but fare actually not terribly in grams per dollar cost when you look at things like higher end bikes/wheels/helmets/etc. I've flatted just once in a circumstance I think a regular butyl tube also would have flatted in. So basically, so far, so good.
I've purchased two 8-packs from Aliexpress at $8 each and both packs came with a patch kit. 36g each tube.

The only complaint so far is that they seem to ride a little harsh but that might be because i'm coming over from riding tubeless the last 4-5 years.

Old 03-08-23, 08:46 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

I've purchased two 8-packs from Aliexpress at $8 each and both packs came with a patch kit. 36g each tube.

The only complaint so far is that they seem to ride a little harsh but that might be because i'm coming over from riding tubeless the last 4-5 years.
Or it could be because in the same way we see different material properties in various alloys of metals like titanium, steel, and aluminum, as well as materials property differences in carbon fiber blends and rubber compounds, that cheap, Chinese— unbranded?— TPU has different material properties than other TPUs, such as Schwalbe’s Aerothan.

I mean, I noticed a difference in feel switching from tubeless to Aerothan as well, but I wanted call it anything like harshness. Aerothan felt a little less supple or a little more stiff, but I wonder if some of that perception wasn’t down to tire pressure; I’d been having trouble holding pressure with the Herse Bon Jon Extralights tubeless, which is why switched them to TPU, so no doubt there were times where the smoothness was caused by decaying tire pressure.

Anyway, superlight TPU at 36g I’d have expected to be very supple on the presumption the material is very thin, but again, we have to recognize that different material compositions can have different performance attributes, which is a long way of saying “plastic ain’t plastic.”
Old 03-08-23, 09:34 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3247 Post(s)
Liked 2,074 Times in 974 Posts

Ive got some TPU tubes as spares for n the event my tubeless plugs don’t work. Thankfully have not needed to use.
Old 03-08-23, 09:58 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

chaadster I may be overinflated. I’m going to reduce the psi gradually and see if the ride improves. They really do hold air well.

Old 03-08-23, 05:47 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Probably more likely with tubeless you were underinflated. TL proponents like to talk about how low you can go without risk of pinch flatting, but not necessarily much support that their PSIs are optimal
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 03-13-23, 08:06 PM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
Old 03-13-23, 08:56 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3936 Post(s)
Liked 7,257 Times in 2,936 Posts
What's the point of that ^ video?
Old 03-16-23, 05:59 AM
Dictatorsaurus

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
I use TPU tubes from AliExpress (Ridenow). Impressed with the weight but I feel they are not a supple as latex (maybe comparable to a thin butyl). Not a lot of miles on them but I like them generally. A good way to shed some rotational mass.

I have gotten flats and while I have a repair kit I am only 50% successful in patching (carefully and exactly as instructed). I've since found that Gorilla Glue tape works pretty well as a patch.
Mind sharing a link to the exact Gorilla tape? there are several kinds.
Old 03-16-23, 12:10 PM
DiegoMendes

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Used latex tubes
Old 03-16-23, 05:51 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
Mind sharing a link to the exact Gorilla tape? there are several kinds.

I cut a little square of this and used it to patch. I've previously used this tape to successfully seal a small leak in my showerhead.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 03-18-23, 10:58 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 1,842 Times in 1,060 Posts
had mixed success with Gorilla adhesives - but the Gorilla duct tape is really good

but I typically apply liberal amount of talc / baby powder to tube and inside of tire - so patching a tube (any tube) out on a ride will be a last option
Old 03-19-23, 07:33 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
had mixed success with Gorilla adhesives - but the Gorilla duct tape is really good

but I typically apply liberal amount of talc / baby powder to tube and inside of tire - so patching a tube (any tube) out on a ride will be a last option
Why talc and the mess that comes with it? Many many years ago I supervised mobile equipment maintenance shops and we used talc on tubes as without it the heat generated could bond the tubes to the tire in our heavy trucks. I inflate bike tire (~ 40 lbs) defleate and then inflate to full pressure and have never had a problem with a tube other than road hazzard puncture,
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 03-22-23, 02:23 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I run TPU for daily use
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 03-22-23, 09:06 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 279 Posts
I was using TPU tubes exclusively on my clincher rim brake bikes... I loved how they felt. But, after multiple punctures during an especially-brutal winter in Southern California (and the associated crappy roads), I switched to tubeless and have been much happier. No more tube changes at 5 am while it's raining!
Likes For Caliwild:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.