Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How Do Wet-Climate Riders Manage?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How Do Wet-Climate Riders Manage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-23, 04:38 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Two choices. Warm and wet or Cooled and wet. In cold rain, retention of heat is my priority and goretex top and bottom over layers of natural fibres (yak, cashmere, alpaca, merino) with full fenders down close to the pavement with the flat.

There is a tricky temperature where heat retention can be a problem. Low 60's like in Palo Alto recently would qualify as tricky. All that crap I listed above would kill me in a moderate ride.....way too hot. But somewhere around 45F, that is what I need. In between 45-60F, I just make sure I bring extra clothing in the bag and adjust as needed. Yes, a bag is essential riding in crap.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 03-10-23, 08:55 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3415 Post(s)
Liked 3,543 Times in 1,783 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Terry is a silicon valley engineer, gadgets like the DeFender RC11™ instead of the tried and true are part of the fun (no offense)
No offense taken. Topeak makes well-engineered gadgets that tickle my designer bone.

Old 03-10-23, 10:24 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Those seatpost-mounted mudguards don't work well when things get really wet. For that, you want full-length mudguards front and rear, and a spray flap on the front to keep water off your feet. My old touring bike:
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 03-10-23, 10:43 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts
Previous years I've avoided riding on rainy days entirely, but this year it's that, or permanent exile to Zwift for months. So I got a "showerproof" jacket and "Aqua Zero" thermal jersey to go with AmFib bib tights and I ride anyway. So far, my rainy Sunday rides have been no worse than showers interspersed with heavier rain, rather than the frogstranglers some of our storms have been. When the temps were 40s-50s, the jacket plus a long sleeve baselayer kept me warm - well, warm enough - for 3-4 hour rides in the wet. Above about 55, the jersey, with or without a thin baselayer, works as well.

But the thing is, they don't keep you completely dry. They slowly become soaked, but still keep me warm. Like someone said above REALLY waterproof clothing ends up wetter on the inside than the outside for me, from the sweat. So, that's MY experience.

Regarding full fenders vs the various clamp on types - we Bay Areans aren't used to rain that comes every day for a week or more at a time, like we've had this year. Last year, there was almost no rain after New Years. Even outside of drought years, we usually get a stormy day then a week or more of dry before the next one. This year even when it hasn't rained for a couple days you'll STILL find a number of places where water streams across the road, or pools along the shoulder. This is the one year in the last decade when having a dedicated rain bike with full fenders would have been sensible.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-10-23, 10:48 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Those seatpost-mounted mudguards don't work well when things get really wet. For that, you want full-length mudguards front and rear, and a spray flap on the front to keep water off your feet. My old touring bike:
Which model Trek is this?

+ 1 on this suggestion. Find an older road bike with room for fenders. I have a 1982 Trek 720 with fenders for this reason.
Old 03-10-23, 12:47 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,053 Times in 1,074 Posts
The clip on fenders help; they prevent a stream of water from directly entering the butt/seat interface area.

If that's all you're after, it's a hassle free setup.

I have full coverage fenders on all my bikes except my MTB, because I live in Portland and ride year round. Even on bikes with clearance and mounts for fenders, they are a pain. Worth it for me, but still a pain.
Old 03-10-23, 04:42 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3415 Post(s)
Liked 3,543 Times in 1,783 Posts
My most recent adaptation to the weather, given the atmospheric river that's hitting us for 5 days straight.

Notice the rear fender is attached, in case of virtual rain.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 03-10-23, 08:33 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Which model Trek is this?

+ 1 on this suggestion. Find an older road bike with room for fenders. I have a 1982 Trek 720 with fenders for this reason.
It's a pre-production Trek 720.
Old 03-10-23, 08:37 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by ratell
As a rider from Portland, OR you need full fenders and give all your money to www.showerspass.com... Also, either winter cycling shoes or booties for your feet.
I had to drop showers pass and upgrade to real high end gore-tex it could not take my frequent rides in the rain it was always wet.
Old 03-10-23, 09:22 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by terrymorse
My most recent adaptation to the weather, given the atmospheric river that's hitting us for 5 days straight.

Notice the rear fender is attached, in case of virtual rain.

This afternoon the sun was shining here in San Mateo. And yet I ended up Zwifting, too.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-11-23, 08:32 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
For the very rare (around here) cold rain ( I mean somewhere between painful and extending into "frostbite danger") I have always opted to lose a gallon of water to sweat rather than risk hypothermia. I used to use (in commuting days---now I can choose when to ride) my boating suit---waterproof jacket and pants meant for rafting and kayaking, neoprene booties (which Overheating was a possibility but I could afford t to slow down a little because I would be warm regardless.

I have a good rain vest with sleeves---good venting and all--for mid-temp rain, but I mostly appreciate that the vest is very wind-proof. I will be wet, from sweat, rain, or both, but the wind-chill is the issue. I used to make wind guards out of visqueen, sometimes backed by cloth, and I made a visqueen head cover which looked like a pharaoh's head-dress to keep the rain from chilling my head and running down my neck. I looked idiotic, but on the cold, rainy days, I certainly didn't care.

I am glad I don't have to ride in serious chilly rain year 'round. As with cold weather, it is the first 20-30 minutes which really suck .... but with wet cold the rest of thre ride can be just as unpleasant.
Old 03-11-23, 09:52 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Fenders . . .I've had 2 sets of fancy aluminum fenders fatigue and fail at the seatstay attachment point. Plastic fenders don't fatigue, though they don't look as cool. In the PNW you ride in the rain a lot or you don't ride outside much.

If you're cold and wet, you just aren't wearing enough insulation topside. Add a 100 fleece jacket if you don't have a warm jersey. Or a 200. It shouldn't be any big deal to spend hours in the rain. I rather enjoy it. OTOH, encountering unexpected rain can be quite unpleasant if one is not somewhat prepared. It helps a lot of you have a decent sized saddle bag so you can carry extra stuff. The jersey pockets only look has some severe limitations. I hate jackets with zip-off sleeves. Carry a wind vest and a windshell. I've often worn the shell over the vest.
Old 03-11-23, 11:23 AM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
if its too wet, I stay indoors

Old 03-12-23, 12:05 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,602 Times in 2,907 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I got an SKS S-blade from either Jenson USA or Bike Tires Direct. Arrived within 2 days for under $25. Makes a HUGE difference! No more wet shorts, no pile of mud where the shorts meet the saddle, no skunk stripe.

Here it is mounted on the Canyon, which I've designated my Rainy Day Bike (made of plastic, disc brakes, nice long naked seatpost for mounting fenders and lights and Varia. Full marks if you can tell me where I took the picture...
Palo Alto or Los Altos foothills. Page Mill Road?

Old 03-12-23, 12:13 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

I have one of the European blade/wings like yours and it is mediocre at best in real downpours and the bike gets filthy. What you need is what I have on my old iron are full fenders with little mud flaps at the bottom. Showers Pass sells waterproof socks, or wear some good booties, and a waterproof jacket. I also wear a cycling cap under my helmet to keep my head warm. Cycling glasses become useless. I break out the wing when the roads are sopping wet but it’s not raining.

Last edited by rsbob; 03-12-23 at 12:18 AM.
Old 03-12-23, 03:07 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by rsbob
Palo Alto or Los Altos foothills. Page Mill Road?
Close. Deer Creek, between Page Mill and Arastradero.

Old 03-12-23, 11:15 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by genejockey
Close. Deer Creek, between Page Mill and Arastradero.
Damn, so close. Used to live in Menlo Park many moons ago and did a bit of riding. Love that area and surrounding areas. Also grew up in Santa Cruz.

Old 03-21-23, 03:32 PM
IcySwan1 

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
I recently picked up a "rain bike" that belonged to a Salem, Oregon rider. His nice day bike was a Mondonico. The rain day bike is a Bianchi CDI with SKS fenders. I added a triple crank to it. Now I have fenders, something the Oregon guys have done all along.

Mike
Old 03-21-23, 03:46 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
$25 a$$ savers fender mounted on rear stays works pretty dang good. Leaves plenty of room to mount rapha/apridura saddle bag as used on Solvang Double century last Saturday

Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 03-21-23, 07:12 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
I think the clip on fenders are perfect for California, there is not enough rain there to warrant the full ones. I have some SKS front and back clip ons and have ridden through downpours and came out fine. The problem is when I forget to mount them..

I bought some rain specific clothes for colder rain riding:

Castelli Idro 3 jacket with Gore-Tex Shakedry

Assos Mille GT Thermal Rain Shell pants

Assos RSR Thermo Rain Shell Glove

plus I have some waterproof shoe covers. Lots of money spent but I stay reasonably dry. As someone said above the new rain gear has improved things quite a bit. Shake dry works very well, the pants keep my legs dry enough, and the glove shells keep all water out so you only get your sweat inside.
Old 03-29-23, 07:49 PM
sjlversurfer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was thinking about moving to Vancouver, WA, and I spoke to a shop owner up there who was originally from a town near me in Orange County CA. He said fenders and the right clothing and you can ride with no issues. He did say their group wouldn't go out if it was heavy rain or if visibility/safety was an issue, but noted that they ride through the PNW winters without much hassle. Here in OC, when we have 300 days of sun, if it's raining, I'll wait another day before I go ride, even if that's extra days with the relentless weather this year. I spent too many years cleaning other people's bikes and now I hate to clean my own.
Old 03-30-23, 10:26 AM
alxsmlv

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rear fender is a must if it's a group ride, I usually don't bother if riding solo in wet conditions