Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

4iiii vs Stages Power Meter - Battery Life

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-19-23, 07:57 PM
AMoney

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

I have a left-sided Generation 3 Stages Power Meter on my mountain bike. The power numbers seem accurate and consistent. However, the battery dies if I'm not consistently using my mountain bike. By contrast, I have left-sided 4iiii 105 cranks on both of my road bikes. On both of my bikes, the battery has held up, even if I haven't used it for months. I might need to replace the power meter(s) if I change the crank length on my road bike(s) (I don't want to go down that rabbit-hole in this thread). I am wondering what other peoples experiences are with Stages 3rd Generation and 4iiii Power Meters.
Old 03-19-23, 10:47 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Just went through my e-mails and my Gen 3 was delivered on 7/23/21 and I'm 75% sure I'm still on the original battery, if not it is only the 2nd. Sounds like the sleep function is borked.

edit yeah I'm on the 2nd battery

Last edited by Canker; 03-20-23 at 05:02 AM.
Old 03-19-23, 10:56 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
i have a dual sided 4iiii precision pro. the battery life is adequate but not noteworthy. it drains somewhat inconsistently (occasionally just drops from 90 to 25 or something silly) and generally lasts two months / 1000 miles or so. could be better for sure.
Old 03-20-23, 03:13 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,713 Times in 2,911 Posts
I get about 6 months battery life on a single-sided 4iiii
Old 03-20-23, 05:58 PM
AMoney

Update: I took my bike with the Stages Power Meter for a ride on Saturday after not having used it all winter and the battery wasn't working. I meant to replace it today. However, I didn't need to because the light was blinking when I spun the crank. Has anyone had this experience?
Old 03-22-23, 11:44 AM
gpburdell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Worth noting that 4iiii has a couple different models, and one of the improvements with the newer Precision3 is substantially improved battery life, thus the wide variance in above posts.

AMoney not sure why it wouldn't have been working on Saturday then started working today. Temperature difference? In either event if you're seeing substantial battery drain while the bike sits unused then I'd recommend a support ticket with Stages.
Old 03-22-23, 02:41 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I read your post a few days ago and you jinxed me. I went out for a ride today and my 4iiii PM was dead.

I haven't kept track of how long I'm getting from the battery. But I seem to replace them more often during the part of the year when it's the coolest and I use the bike the least. Wish I'd known they were coming out with a rechargeable battery PM instead of the coin battery one. I've got a pile of coin batteries waiting to go to the battery recycling bin... where I've heard all they do is throw them away because battery recycling still cost more than mining the new raw materials.
Old 03-25-23, 08:25 AM
AMoney

Originally Posted by gpburdell
Worth noting that 4iiii has a couple different models, and one of the improvements with the newer Precision3 is substantially improved battery life, thus the wide variance in above posts.

AMoney not sure why it wouldn't have been working on Saturday then started working today. Temperature difference? In either event if you're seeing substantial battery drain while the bike sits unused then I'd recommend a support ticket with Stages.
I have this issue throughout the year, so I doubt that the temperature is the reason that I'm having these issues. Thanks for your recommendation to start a support ticket with Stages! I just submitted a ticket.
Old 03-26-23, 12:19 PM
Spandex_fairy

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
It's very battery dependent. I ride 2-3x per week (~50-60 miles). I started off using your typical Energizer from Target (made in China/Malaysia) and I was getting maybe 3-4 months worth of use. I then switched over to the same batteries that I use in my red dot sights (Japan made Energizer) and its been going 6+ months.
Old 03-29-23, 11:33 AM
selfrubexit
Giant Defy Advanced 1 '22

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 1 2022

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought mine back in August of 2022 and with limited riding on Zwift this winter, I'm at 47% on the left-side Stages Power Meter. It seems to sip the battery rather than eat through it like yours is.

Do you have the Stages app installed so you can verify the battery and firmware level of the power meter? It's not a bad idea to "zero" out the power meter using the app as well.