Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Short Top Tube CF Road Bikes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Short Top Tube CF Road Bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-23, 09:25 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I am considering a new CF road bike. Ideally I like custom geometry due to stupid long legs and short torso. Most fitters and online calculators suggest approximately 63-64 cm seat tube and 56 cm top tube. I know that a custom CF frame is going to be super expensive (like $7-8k just for the frame), so I am willing to consider a stock frame with “endurance” geometry but I would want one that runs short top tubes.

Any suggestions on models that might approach this?
Domane, as mentioned. The top tube is much longer than your top tube in the chart you provided, but the reach measurement on a Domane is really short compared to the stack height, when you look at the larger sizes.
I really think you should figure out the stack and reach measurements for your Habanero frame. Its a relatively easy process to figure out both, like 5min of some accurate measurements and simple math.

A 62cm Domane has a stack height of 656mm and reach of only 386mm. And while it comes with a 110mm stem, thats an easy swap to use a shorter stem. Also, the head tube length is longer than your Habanero head tube by 35mm.

Thats a guess since your Habanero frame geometry doesnt list stack or reach. Those two measurements really are 90% of whats needed to figure out fit between a couple of drop bar bikes.
Old 03-30-23, 09:27 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Holy crap!

Yeah, you got a problem. You're running - what, 4 cm of spacers AND a riser stem, on top of a 209mm head tube. And your stem looks like about 100mm. So, even with your short TT, you're running a short stem, so even if you got a bike with a tall enough head tube - like, say, the Endurace in XL - it would have about 2.5 cm or more longer reach (guesstimating here!), so you'd need to run all the spacers you have now, AND because you'd need a stem about an inch shorter, it would also not put the bars as high, unless you got a REALLY high-rise stem.
100mm stem is short? When did that happen? I know it isnt long, but it sure seems to be the most middle of the road common length for stems on larger bikes. They sometimes have 110mm too, but I just havent ever looked at or used a 100mm stem and thought I was using a short stem.
...I very well could be oblivious on this.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-30-23, 10:03 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
so, just for fun i plugged a range around the frame stack and reach from your diagram (363mm reach, 627mm stack) into the geometrygeeks search engine, and the only carbon road frame it comes up with is the domane (380 reach, 611 stack). lots of steel touring/bikepacking bikes. there are a few other interesting results - two models ago drop bar diverge is really close (379 reach, 613 stack), as are some of the carbon sirrus (366mm reach, 619mm stack!) of course neither of those fit the bill. another data point towards the custom approach, or maybe a domane with a long stem and a riser bar...

Old 03-30-23, 10:13 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Have you looked at a Specialized Roubaix? Assuming that Canyon Endurace was a M or 56 cm size, then a 56 cm Roubaix is 34 mm higher stack. A Specialize Diverge in a 56 cm will get you a 39 mm higher stack but you'll be stretched out 14 mm more, but can compensate with a shorter stem.
Old 03-30-23, 10:22 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22596 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Have you looked at a Specialized Roubaix? Assuming that Canyon Endurace was a M or 56 cm size, then a 56 cm Roubaix is 34 mm higher stack. A Specialize Diverge in a 56 cm will get you a 39 mm higher stack but you'll be stretched out 14 mm more, but can compensate with a shorter stem.
I have a 10 year old Roubaix 58cm that someone gave to me as a gift. I have the seatpost up to the max and a 90mm stem....and it's "ok" but the fit/comfort are still a compromise compared to the custom Habanero. I would need an XL seatpost to try a 56.

I appreciate all the suggestions and may consider a Domane vs. wait/consider custom CF down the road as my rim brake/cable shifting bike becomes "obsolete."

Last edited by datlas; 03-30-23 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-30-23, 10:49 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,895 Times in 6,093 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
100mm stem is short? When did that happen? I know it isnt long, but it sure seems to be the most middle of the road common length for stems on larger bikes. They sometimes have 110mm too, but I just havent ever looked at or used a 100mm stem and thought I was using a short stem.
...I very well could be oblivious on this.
100 is a little on the short side for a large bike, it seems to me, but the more important aspect is that if he's running a 100 mm stem NOW, and he buys a frame with 25mm more reach, he'd have to go with a 75mm stem to get the same "Reach +", to use Canyon's parlance. If he were currently running a 110 or 120, he wouldn't have to go as extreme on the stem. See what I mean?

EDIT: Also he's already running a riser stem, and if he has to go to a stem that's only 3/4 the length, he'll end up with the bars lower OR have to get a more extreme angled stem.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-01-23, 11:32 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22596 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Thanks again to everyone who commented. No decisions but plenty to think about.

One more picture, this is the 2013 58cm Roubaix gift bike. As you can see, the seatpost is ridiculously high (just about max), and I used a short up-sloping stem as well. The end result is close to my Habanero fit, but probably a professional bike fitter’s nightmare!

And lastly, my 1986 Custom Alpine, now doing duty on the trainer.

Last edited by datlas; 04-01-23 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-01-23, 12:21 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I know that a custom CF frame is going to be super expensive (like $7-8k just for the frame)
Alchemy might be less than that.
Old 04-01-23, 08:53 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Find a geometry chart for your current bike and compare it to a bunch of other bikes that you'd consider. It's easy to tell how they compare (tube lengths, angles, etc) and then you can tell if, within normal fit parts, it will work for you.
Old 04-03-23, 05:33 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
so, just for fun i plugged a range around the frame stack and reach from your diagram (363mm reach, 627mm stack) into the geometrygeeks search engine, and the only carbon road frame it comes up with is the domane (380 reach, 611 stack). lots of steel touring/bikepacking bikes. there are a few other interesting results - two models ago drop bar diverge is really close (379 reach, 613 stack), as are some of the carbon sirrus (366mm reach, 619mm stack!) of course neither of those fit the bill. another data point towards the custom approach, or maybe a domane with a long stem and a riser bar...

It appears Geometry Geeks has now made this numbers search a paid feature.