Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

What stops you from riding?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

What stops you from riding?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-13, 03:43 PM
thryn

Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 3; 1989 Bianchi Sport SX; 1970 Schwinn Twinn in need of work; other project bikes in various states of disrepair.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Senior members might get a kick out of this, since in the early days of this forum there were frequent comments like, "I can't be carfree because I can't get the 100 lb bags of pet food home from Costco." As you probably know, there are carfree methods for everything you mention. Of course the added difficulty probably isn't worth it if you have easy access to a car.
Well, yeah. I actually do want to get a bike trailer, specifically for the pet food/litter/large grocery runs. The stores I get those from are a lovely few mile ride from my house. Even with a trailer, though, I don't think I could have managed the antique desk.

Originally Posted by gerv
I think the carfree method can be summed up in one word.... Chill! Or two: slow down!
The car allows you to do so many things... really too many things.
I do tend to try to cram all the "easier with a car" errands into one day, for sure. Yesterday was a possibly extreme example. By the time I finally headed home, I also had another friend's bike (with its flat tire) on my bike rack, plus said friend folded into the passenger seat.

Now all that stuff is unloaded and I'm back at work on the road bike, with just a backpack full of crap. And after I get back from a journey out of state this weekend, I'll likely go a couple weeks before I touch my car again.
Old 01-24-13, 08:45 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by thryn
And after I get back from a journey out of state this weekend, I'll likely go a couple weeks before I touch my car again.
That would induce to me to start taking more naps

Seriously... I find long car trips very tiring. I took a super long one about two years and the thought of another one... doesn't appeal.
Old 01-24-13, 11:47 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Well, yeah. I actually do want to get a bike trailer, specifically for the pet food/litter/large grocery runs. The stores I get those from are a lovely few mile ride from my house. Even with a trailer, though, I don't think I could have managed the antique desk.

I do tend to try to cram all the "easier with a car" errands into one day, for sure. Yesterday was a possibly extreme example. By the time I finally headed home, I also had another friend's bike (with its flat tire) on my bike rack, plus said friend folded into the passenger seat.

Now all that stuff is unloaded and I'm back at work on the road bike, with just a backpack full of crap. And after I get back from a journey out of state this weekend, I'll likely go a couple weeks before I touch my car again.
Sounds like you're doing well on the car light methods. If you have the car, you'll use it.

If the car had been in the shop, carfree methods would include renting a pickup from Home Depot, using Craigslist to find somebody with a truck, car rental, borrowing a car or truck, taking a taxi. And of course the bike trailer that you mentioned.

I'm not saying any of these carfree methods are "better than" a car. I'm just saying they're perfectly workable for those who don't want to maintain a car or truck full time when they only need it once in a while.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-24-13, 11:52 PM
lostforawhile

Bikes: 1972 Schwinn super sport, heavy no name each cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
living this close to Florida, we get the sudden violent thunderstorms with lots of lightning, sorry lightning and a metal bike just don't mix, also we sometimes get steady high winds, you can only ride so far in a 20 MPH headwind
Old 01-25-13, 10:08 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by lostforawhile
living this close to Florida, we get the sudden violent thunderstorms with lots of lightning, sorry lightning and a metal bike just don't mix, also we sometimes get steady high winds, you can only ride so far in a 20 MPH headwind
The "safety experts" recommend that we not go outdoors whenever there's lightning in the vicinity--not even to get out to the driveway or parking lot. I think that's excessive, but I don't usually ride in a full blown thunderstorm. I usually check the Doppler radar and wait until it's more yellow and green instead of red and orange. If I get stuck out in a sudden squall, I usually wait out the worst part under a bridge, which is pretty awesome.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-25-13, 10:46 AM
lostforawhile

Bikes: 1972 Schwinn super sport, heavy no name each cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
The "safety experts" recommend that we not go outdoors whenever there's lightning in the vicinity--not even to get out to the driveway or parking lot. I think that's excessive, but I don't usually ride in a full blown thunderstorm. I usually check the Doppler radar and wait until it's more yellow and green instead of red and orange. If I get stuck out in a sudden squall, I usually wait out the worst part under a bridge, which is pretty awesome.
I've come close to being hit 11 times, once it blew me off my feet, I dont play with thunderstorms anymore
Old 01-25-13, 11:26 PM
thryn

Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 3; 1989 Bianchi Sport SX; 1970 Schwinn Twinn in need of work; other project bikes in various states of disrepair.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in Florida. I wait five minutes.
Old 01-26-13, 03:22 PM
consumes

Bikes: 1978 nishiki 2011 Kona Dr.Good 1996 trek 830, 1996 Iron Horse MT400, 89 Specialized Hardrock,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cerewa
What stops me from riding is the internet. (I can work from home most of the time, and when I don't need to go from one place to another i usually don't ride a bike)
laziness and the internet ... being unemployed does help either
Old 04-29-13, 06:33 PM
Zedoo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: several

Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 88 Posts
1. Weather. Wet bikes need more maintenance.
2. Health.
3. Detroit. My bikes look too good to ride there. I need another bike that looks like my truck.
Old 04-29-13, 09:18 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by Zedoo
1. Weather. Wet bikes need more maintenance.
2. Health.
3. Detroit. My bikes look too good to ride there. I need another bike that looks like my truck.
Not much you can do about weather and health, but it shouldn't be too hard to find an ugly bike in Detroit.

I don't know about Detroit in particular, but here in inner city Lansing, the bike that's most likely to be stolen is an unlocked or poorly locked mountain bike or hybrid. Most bikes are stolen not to be resold, but to be ridden for a while and then abandoned.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 05-04-13, 08:45 AM
plustax

Bikes: 90's Campione,90's trek multitrack,2005 trek 3700

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Getting hit by a truck.
Old 05-04-13, 11:09 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I'm in Florida. I wait five minutes.
Or ride on the other side of the street.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 05-04-13, 02:36 PM
alhedges

Bikes: NWT 24sp DD; Brompton M6R

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
My work has a well defined busy season (6-8 months) and a slow season. I tend not to commute to work during the busy season because: (1) if I'm spending 10 hours (sometimes more) at work, I don't want to spend another 2 hours commuting; and (2) I have to wear suits during that time and it's too much trouble to deal with them at work. The busy season is in the winter, but I'll still do some non-work related errands down to about 20 degrees, if there ground is clear. During slow season, I'll bike to work unless it's pouring rain when I'm ready to leave, and I'll do almost all of my errands by bike, using the car about once every two weeks unless I'm driving out of town.

However, when I got strep throat last summer, I was really happy that I could just get in the car and drive to the doctor, drive to the pharmacy, and drive to the grocery.
Old 05-07-13, 08:27 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Living too close to work to make riding worthwhile. Walking turns out to be nicer, especially because I don't have to deal with traffic at all.
Old 05-07-13, 11:19 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by BarracksSi
Living too close to work to make riding worthwhile. Walking turns out to be nicer, especially because I don't have to deal with traffic at all.
I quit riding to work for the same reason. It's only three blocks away, barely a six minute walk.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 05-08-13, 02:45 PM
ralph12
Kamek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bjjoondo
I'd by a "BSO" from Wal-Mart and put studded tires on it and just let it RUST away and buy a new one each winter, then it wouldn't bother me to watch it slowly die away into a even more POS. There I've confessed, you may throw stones at your pleasure!
I used to think this was a great idea, and actually, as far as getting biking in the winter goes, it probably is. I just got my Raleigh mountain bike back from the shop because I ruined it by riding it through a harsh winter (and I too am an apartment dweller)--the repair costs ended up totaling over half of what the bike cost new! NEVER doing this again!

But tossing out 50-odd bicycles over a lifetime..I couldn't deal with the environmental guilt.
Old 05-08-13, 03:01 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I don't have anywhere I need to go really. I can do the post office and the library once a week. The grocery store 2x a week. I've ridden around my neighborhood on every street. So it's not much of a draw. It takes a while to get elsewhere to begin a refreshing ride.

Maybe it's time to move.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 05-08-13, 07:44 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ralph12
I used to think this was a great idea, and actually, as far as getting biking in the winter goes, it probably is. I just got my Raleigh mountain bike back from the shop because I ruined it by riding it through a harsh winter (and I too am an apartment dweller)--the repair costs ended up totaling over half of what the bike cost new! NEVER doing this again!

But tossing out 50-odd bicycles over a lifetime..I couldn't deal with the environmental guilt.
Strip them down and recycle them. People are always giving me BSO's. I strip off what usable parts they have and recycle the rest. The only thing ending up in the landfill are the plastic bits that aren't accepted for recycling. I average about $15 a bike for scrap value.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 05-09-13, 07:05 PM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Double heart bypass, that did it for me.
Old 05-09-13, 07:20 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tim24k
The guy I ride with on Sundays has had bypass surgery. That was 2006. He's celebrating his 60th birthday on Saturday and logs 4500 miles a year on his bike.
Old 05-09-13, 10:43 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Really? I didn't even start riding until after I had a heart attack. The doctors, nurses and therapists insisted on vigorous exercise starting quite soon after the MI. Of course, everybody is different. Do what your health team says.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 05-10-13, 02:15 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
The guy I ride with on Sundays has had bypass surgery. That was 2006. He's celebrating his 60th birthday on Saturday and logs 4500 miles a year on his bike.
I hope this will be my case as-well. My Surgeon tells me no bike for three months. (He is afraid for me if I fall off the bike.) The hart no worries! I fixed up a old Sun EZ-3 Recumbent Tricycle with some fat Big Apple tires last week before I went in. I have photos of me seating on it and for a short ride to show him this afternoon. So I hope he'll okay it. I know he used to commute by bike to work so I have that is in my favor.
Old 05-10-13, 10:29 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

I hope this will be my case as-well. My Surgeon tells me no bike for three months. (He is afraid for me if I fall off the bike.) The hart no worries! I fixed up a old Sun EZ-3 Recumbent Tricycle with some fat Big Apple tires last week before I went in. I have photos of me seating on it and for a short ride to show him this afternoon. So I hope he'll okay it. I know he used to commute by bike to work so I have that is in my favor.
The trike sounds like a good compromise. I hope the doc passes on it.

I once broke a wrist in a bike fall. As he was applying the cast after surgery, I asked the doctor if I could ride my bike. He was a funny guy: "riding a bike is good for you. I have no problem with it. I do have a problem with you falling off the bike. So if you ride, don't fall. And if you do fall, fall on the opposite side so you don't mess up my beautiful work."

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 05-13-13, 03:42 PM
doomtroll
Rider of the Storm

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1986 Trek 850

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the rear axle of my bike snapping ... one week from payday, and no back up bike.. I drove feet instead
Old 05-15-13, 04:02 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by doomtroll
the rear axle of my bike snapping ... one week from payday, and no back up bike.. I drove feet instead
We used to call that Shank's Mare... Or 2 foot drive.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.