Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Weight Loss Club

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Weight Loss Club

Old 03-14-13, 12:05 PM
pluke the 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
259.5 lbs a week ago here

242 this morning

60 lbs to go
Old 03-15-13, 09:31 PM
four de trance
Capt Hook

Bikes: Described above...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went from 210lbs to this mornings weight in at 152lbs. I'm 5'8", male and I lost all this weight from cycling and eating better. I've been riding for one year and I was a runner before becoming a life-long cyclist. It's great to see all of these other success stories- keep shedding the pounds off my fellow brothers and sisters of two the wheel contraptions!
Old 03-17-13, 07:59 AM
lenA
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's kinda cutesy, but I thought I'd try this thang.....is that OK

Old 04-15-13, 09:24 PM
hammockman

Bikes: Surly Troll w/ Rockshox Recon Race front shock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a great thread, very informative and inspiring. I'm just getting started but after reading some of this thread I'm convinced that I can lose the 90 lbs to 100 lbs I need to lose and change my life. I'm 6'0 but weighed in at 292 a couple of weeks ago. I retired in Jan. at 50 so have plenty of time to work out. I just need to get off my ass and start exercising like all the good people I'm reading about here. I've lost 10 lbs since starting just by cutting down the eating a little and walking an hour three times a week. I'm starting to lift weights a few times a week but really need to get back on the bike. I dropped my bike at the local bike shop this morning to be tuned up so I can start riding again. It'll be slow going on the bike as I live on the side of an extinct volcano and right now am breathing hard just walking up the hills.
Old 04-23-13, 08:45 PM
Vlaam4ever

Bikes: 2008 Giant TCR Advanced

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really bulked up this winter with no riding/ running/hiking and few colds put out of commision Jan-Feb. I've been paying dearly for it this spring, but the body is repsonding well to the surge of activity lately. Just want to get in on the process here to get back to real fitness.

Weighed in at 187 in late December, but likely tipped 191-193 during the peak of inactivity this winter. I'm 5-11.

Recent updates, started regularly commuting to work ~ only 5 miles per day.
Picked up 60-150 miles per week since the group rides started back. Also found a neighbohood club that has regular Saturday rides of 65 miles. But Has 3 or 4 tough week day rides that the vary. Strong group.

Current weight check 181.

goals:
July 4th 50min 10K
July 26 Half Dome Accent ~16 mile hike
July 29 Mt Whitney Accent ~ 22 mile hike to 14500 ft. 6100 ft accent
Mid August - Enter first Cat 5 Criterium Race. To gain race experience, but would like to really improve my fitness but this time.

Goal weight 165 -170

Next is fine tuning the food intake. Eating less seems to have worked so far but as I pick up the miles and effort I'll need to experiment with better choices. It will be a sacrifice of convenience and nutrition.
Old 04-23-13, 08:49 PM
Vlaam4ever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update wt check this AM was 179.5

Originally Posted by Vlaam4ever
I really bulked up this winter with no riding/ running/hiking and few colds put out of commision Jan-Feb. I've been paying dearly for it this spring, but the body is repsonding well to the surge of activity lately. Just want to get in on the process here to get back to real fitness.

Weighed in at 187 in late December, but likely tipped 191-193 during the peak of inactivity this winter. I'm 5-11.

Recent updates, started regularly commuting to work ~ only 5 miles per day.
Picked up 60-150 miles per week since the group rides started back. Also found a neighbohood club that has regular Saturday rides of 65 miles. But Has 3 or 4 tough week day rides that the vary. Strong group.

Current weight check 181.

goals:
July 4th 50min 10K
July 26 Half Dome Accent ~16 mile hike
July 29 Mt Whitney Accent ~ 22 mile hike to 14500 ft. 6100 ft accent
Mid August - Enter first Cat 5 Criterium Race. To gain race experience, but would like to really improve my fitness but this time.

Goal weight 165 -170

Next is fine tuning the food intake. Eating less seems to have worked so far but as I pick up the miles and effort I'll need to experiment with better choices. It will be a sacrifice of convenience and nutrition.
Old 05-14-13, 10:55 AM
Vlaam4ever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update wt check this AM was 179.5
This morning wt check was 180. Not bad considering the travel schedule and lack of riding. This coming week should make up for lost time on the bike.

It's starting to look like I'm putting in a solo effort here. I hope everybody is not getting fat now that the weather is nice.

Last edited by Vlaam4ever; 05-14-13 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-14-13, 02:33 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
It's starting to look like I'm putting in a solo effort here. I hope everybody is not getting fat now that the weather is nice.
I'm between 6'1" - 6'2". I weighed in at 179.4 after two hours of jogging Sunday morning. I haven't seen that figure since third phase of boot camp a dozen years ago. After I got some food and water back in me, I was back up to 183.

Consider this: my weight in late summer 2009 was 235+. I was down to 205 by the following April, and for the most part, I've stayed below 200 since late summer 2010.
Old 05-16-13, 12:04 PM
MikeRides

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I'm 5' 9" and weighed in at 178-lbs at the end of last month. Down from 215-lbs, weighed at the end of last summer. My new year's resolution for 2013 was to slim down to 160-lbs. and I seem to be right on track for that goal. All I've done is ride or walk at least two miles everyday and cut out most junk food from my diet.
Old 05-17-13, 08:10 AM
Vlaam4ever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This morning wt check was 180. Not bad considering the travel schedule and lack of riding. This coming week should make up for lost time on the bike.
Wt check is 178 lbs.

I have a 70 mile and a 40 mile club ride this weekend hoping for a wt nuetral weekend and a nice drop in weight next week as the body recovers. Should work well with no travel and no work dinners.
Old 05-25-13, 05:29 PM
CountryJustice

Bikes: All-City Space Horse, Schwinn Suburban

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anybody mind if a noob joins in? 6'2" male here.

Weighed in last Friday at 239. This is a far cry from my biggest (~300) several years ago, but still up from my thinnest (205 in 2010). I bounced back to about 215 and kept it there, more or less, until I broke my collarbone this January and ballooned up to my current weight.

Would like to get down to the 205 mark again, if not surpass it. Looking forward to the challenge, and reading through this thread for tips and inspiration!
Old 06-02-13, 09:42 AM
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Despite what you may have read or heard, an "Atkins" type low carb high fat diet has worked wonders for me.

In 2002 I was 195 (5'11) and diagnosed with male breast cancer. I decided then that while I could not control my genes, I was going to try to control all the factors that I could. A wise man once said "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." So I was going to do as much as I could different than I had.

In reality not too much changed until 4 years ago when I started riding. After a year I was down to 175, but still had a gut and could not get down lower. I had falled prey to the "Hammer Nutrition" falacy that we need all those carbs to perform. Face it guys, few of us are elite pro level athletes that really might even need that stuff. But we are all wanna be posers, so we believe it will help us "be like them."

Despite 150 - 180 mi of riding a week I was stuck at 175, still had a gut, and my BP and Cholesterol were going north. I had joint pain at night and stiff joints in the morning. My drs wanted me on BP meds and Statins. I needed to do SOMETHING DIFFERENT.

In may of last year I decided to try something different. I went Low Carb, High Fat. It seemed counter intuitive, and the first few weeks were difficult (Atkins Flu!) but after that my strength and stamina returned and I felt great! The pounds started to melt away as my body, now relying on fat metabolism for most of my energy, started eating away at all the stored fat. My BP and Cholesterol dropped. My wife, upset a first by my new eating habits, joined me.

We now eat LCHF and are never really "hungry" like we got when we needed our carb fix. Now we snack on nuts, cheese, and various low carb fruits and veggies. I'm now 160, and she lost 19 lbs and looks like the super model I married 40 years ago.

I've now turned my attention to Triathlons and have completed 4 sprints, all with AG Podium finishes. I'm now training for Iron Man Augusta 70.3 in September.

Drop the carbs. You don't need them. They are killing us.
Old 06-02-13, 03:04 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
bobthib, you might enjoy reading this:

https://eatingacademy.com/how-a-low-c...ic-performance
Aerobic base– defined as the point at which you transition to more than 50% of your energy being derived from glycogen instead of fat. The higher this number (i.e., the higher the level of exertion) the better, because it means you can “spare” more glycogen for when you need it, and use as much fat as possible energy.
  1. Prior to ketosis – I hit this point at a heart rate of 104 and a VO2 of 1,630 mL/min (about 500 calories per hour of energy consumption).
  2. Post ketosis – I hit this point at a heart rate of 162 and a VO2 of 3,690 mL/min (about 1,100 calories per hour of energy consumption).
Implication: My aerobic efficiency improved dramatically (in the words of the person who tested me, “Like nothing I’ve ever seen before.”)
Old 06-02-13, 03:23 PM
lenA
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobthib
Despite what you may have read or heard, an "Atkins" type low carb high fat diet has worked wonders for me.

In 2002 I was 195 (5'11) and diagnosed with male breast cancer. I decided then that while I could not control my genes, I was going to try to control all the factors that I could. A wise man once said "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." So I was going to do as much as I could different than I had.

In reality not too much changed until 4 years ago when I started riding. After a year I was down to 175, but still had a gut and could not get down lower. I had falled prey to the "Hammer Nutrition" falacy that we need all those carbs to perform. Face it guys, few of us are elite pro level athletes that really might even need that stuff. But we are all wanna be posers, so we believe it will help us "be like them."

Despite 150 - 180 mi of riding a week I was stuck at 175, still had a gut, and my BP and Cholesterol were going north. I had joint pain at night and stiff joints in the morning. My drs wanted me on BP meds and Statins. I needed to do SOMETHING DIFFERENT.

In may of last year I decided to try something different. I went Low Carb, High Fat. It seemed counter intuitive, and the first few weeks were difficult (Atkins Flu!) but after that my strength and stamina returned and I felt great! The pounds started to melt away as my body, now relying on fat metabolism for most of my energy, started eating away at all the stored fat. My BP and Cholesterol dropped. My wife, upset a first by my new eating habits, joined me.

We now eat LCHF and are never really "hungry" like we got when we needed our carb fix. Now we snack on nuts, cheese, and various low carb fruits and veggies. I'm now 160, and she lost 19 lbs and looks like the super model I married 40 years ago.

I've now turned my attention to Triathlons and have completed 4 sprints, all with AG Podium finishes. I'm now training for Iron Man Augusta 70.3 in September.

The stories keep coming and are becoming difficult to ignore. There should be a ketogenic rider sticky
Old 06-04-13, 06:55 AM
Vlaam4ever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wt check is 178 lbs.

I have a 70 mile and a 40 mile club ride this weekend hoping for a wt nuetral weekend and a nice drop in weight next week as the body recovers. Should work well with no travel and no work dinners.
Two weeks have gone by and I've stayed at 178. I logged 140+ miles each week but I'm having trouble shedding the weight lately. I'll really need to focus on keeping the miles up and carefully watching the food intake.

I read that a pound of fat is approximately 3500 calories. Not sure I can cut this many calories from my weekly intake, so I may have been a little aggressive with my goal of 1 pound per week. I dont plan to change course since, just because I had a set back. So this week will be a re-focus week.
Old 06-04-13, 11:13 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Two weeks have gone by and I've stayed at 178. I logged 140+ miles each week but I'm having trouble shedding the weight lately. I'll really need to focus on keeping the miles up and carefully watching the food intake.

I read that a pound of fat is approximately 3500 calories. Not sure I can cut this many calories from my weekly intake, so I may have been a little aggressive with my goal of 1 pound per week. I dont plan to change course since, just because I had a set back. So this week will be a re-focus week.
A calorie deficit of 500/day is enough. At 200 lbs, for a 500/day deficit, I was eating 2300-2500 per day on heavy exercise days. That ain't exactly starving, ya know.
Old 06-04-13, 11:47 AM
lenA
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes weight loss just stalls out no matter what you do...within reason.
Old 06-07-13, 04:13 PM
dohc97 

Bikes: 87 centurion ironman expert, 86 team fuji, 90 litespeed tachyon, 87 bridgestone rb2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
great job everyone, im barely starting to ride and the reason is that i enjoy riding, i dont enjoy most other exercise. Time to get fit, im 5'9" and last time i weighed myself(start of biking last week) was at 195 lbs, my goal is just to be healthier and probably get down to 170, i felt great at that weight years ago. ill weight myself again at the 1 month mark.
Old 06-12-13, 08:01 PM
FSUGOLFPRO7671

Bikes: 2013 Raleigh Misceo 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Read "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes - fat loss isn't anywhere close to as simple as 3500 calories = 1 lb. It has a lot more to do with the TYPES of food you're eating and the macronutrients they're comprised of than the calorie load. I went from just over 270 lbs (6' 2" frame) to 185 in about 11 months changing only my diet and never "watching" calorie intake after understanding how the body works.

Also, FWIW, I'd be willing to bet that the 140+ miles a week you're putting in (while very impressive, mind you) are most certainly frying your adrenals and sending your cortisol levels through the roof, making your body store extra fat (that's what it does in a stressed environment). I'd be willing to bet that a tweak to the diet and a reduction to your cardio-load would get you past your plateau
Old 06-25-13, 03:05 PM
Kotts
Recreational Commuter

Bikes: One brand-less build-up, and a Connondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra Disc. A nicer bike than I need, but it was a good deal, so... ;-)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
After many years and many diets, working out like a madman, cycling as much as I could, I finally found something that has worked well for both me and my wife. Weight loss has been difficult for her because she's hypothyroid (Hashimoto's Syndrome) so getting her metabolism off of rock bottom is a battle.

It's called the Dukan Diet, and I know that this sounds like an ad for the blasted thing, but it really worked for us. You can pick up the book at a local library or on Amazon, and read through it. It made sense to us, particularly in that it builds in transitions back to a sustainable lifestyle.

It's essentially a low-carb, low-fat, lean protein diet, with a gradual staged transition to a balanced protien/carb moderate fat (sustainable) diet. It includes specific "go ahead and break the rules once a week" steps, and overall was pretty easy.

Since February, I've gone from 199 lbs and close to 24% body fat to 168 and 11% body fat. My wife went from 135 lbs and 32% body fat to 113 and 20% body fat.
Old 06-28-13, 10:52 AM
stumpbumper

Bikes: Giant Revel 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ill get in on this thread, Im 6 foot even just under 200 pounds. Ive only been cycling a few days, looking for the proper diet plan at the moment, and just riding everyday sometimes am and pm. I have been told to not worry so much about the scale and weight as much as measuring actual measurments from problem areas? i dont think i have any specific area though lol. just looking to get back into shape
Old 06-30-13, 06:17 AM
RyderTheRider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been riding casually, but will be looking to start a regiment to get me to my goal weight, which is currently 10kg away. I was close to it when I was running regularly, but after an injury I never got back into it and it doesn't help that I've gotten addicted to playing parking games and truck games while I was recuperating!

Last edited by RyderTheRider; 07-16-13 at 05:08 AM.
Old 07-10-13, 08:17 AM
socopithy
Queens Diamondbacker

Bikes: 2013 Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobthib

<snip>

It was so great to read this! I've been extremely concerned with using cycling as my exercise with this low-carb diet I've started.

I'm a male, 6'1" at 293lbs - goal is around 210lbs by next year. I really want to make this work. Thanks for the inspiration!
Old 07-10-13, 10:24 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
bobthib, you might enjoy reading this:

https://eatingacademy.com/how-a-low-c...ic-performance

Aerobic base– defined as the point at which you transition to more than 50% of your energy being derived from glycogen instead of fat. The higher this number (i.e., the higher the level of exertion) the better, because it means you can “spare” more glycogen for when you need it, and use as much fat as possible energy.
  1. Prior to ketosis – I hit this point at a heart rate of 104 and a VO2 of 1,630 mL/min (about 500 calories per hour of energy consumption).
  2. Post ketosis – I hit this point at a heart rate of 162 and a VO2 of 3,690 mL/min (about 1,100 calories per hour of energy consumption).

Implication: My aerobic efficiency improved dramatically (in the words of the person who tested me, “Like nothing I’ve ever seen before.”)
What isn't being said above is what age is and his fitness before and after. I'm 68 and this Sunday climbed for 3:50 at a steady 90% of LTHR without bonking. That was about max fat usage for me, a carb eater. I've lost 10 lbs. on a carb diet so far this year, now weighing 153.4. My blood work looks great for a 25 y.o. Another point might be that I did my first solo century at 18 in 6.5 hrs. I stopped once and ate an orange and a candy bar. Finish was a hilltop and I was still riding strong. So it's mostly training and paying attention.

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 07-10-13 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-10-13, 08:42 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
What isn't being said above is what age is and his fitness before and after.
https://eatingacademy.com/dr-peter-attia
https://eatingacademy.com/why-i-decided-to-lose-weight

He's a triathlete in his late 30's (I think he turns 40 this year).

More stats are on the link I posted earlier; besides the aerobic base, he also posted before-and-after of 60% peak VO2, anaerobic threshold, and max VO2.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.