Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Do you have stronger and weaker turn directions?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Do you have stronger and weaker turn directions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-20, 08:17 AM
majmt 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 1,101 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
Mostly ride in a bike friendly community with 5-8' bike lanes so my rides can have a dozen(s) of right turns and as few left as possible. The reason is not crossing lanes greatly reduces the chance of drama with traffic which greatly improves my rides. Today's ride with a new saddle being tried out will have 15 rights and 5 lefts, in just over 24 miles.
So, three rights really do make a left.

Comforting to hear that I’m not the only one with a “weak” side. I’ve thought about this off and on ever since I had a bad motorcycle wreck over twelve years ago when I lost it on a sharp downhill and decreasing radius curve to the right.
Old 12-17-20, 08:49 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by majmt
I’ve thought about this off and on ever since I had a bad motorcycle wreck over twelve years ago when I lost it on a sharp downhill and decreasing radius curve to the right.
That will do it for quite a while! Gone down in both directions on gravel and ice. Loved the confidence before those experiences! Wish there was an instrument that would indicate how close to loosing traction in a turn in real time.

Paint on the pavement doesn't help nor does oily spots.
Old 12-17-20, 12:45 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Left turn biased.
Likely due to the crankset.

A U-Turn from the left opens up freedom, hope and potential, while a U-Turn from the right removes free will.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 12-17-20 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-17-20, 12:49 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
...In the Southern Hemisphere I feel more confident in right turns...
I've never ridden a bike in the Southern Hemisphere, I just realized.
Old 12-17-20, 03:35 PM
ldmataya 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 28 Posts
This difference is quite noticeable in off-road riding, if you pay attention. All serious MTB riders know what kind of tight switchback they are going to struggle with. For me it is right hand turns, at any speed (off road). The cause is always body position, and having someone watch you really helps. Practicing turns with cones shows you very quickly what you suck at. Much easier to do at slower speed off road but we used to practice sharp turning for crits in small radius circles. I suspect I'm worse turning right because off road you have to load the left side of your body and punch it into the ground to get the bike to lean and the tires to bite - and I'm right handed.
Old 12-17-20, 11:05 PM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 535 Times in 283 Posts
Almost everyone turns more naturally to the left. Almost every, if not every, race track in the world has more left hand turns.
The common wiring.
Old 12-18-20, 01:14 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
Almost everyone turns more naturally to the left. Almost every, if not every, race track in the world has more left hand turns.
The common wiring.

Don't tell Australia about this. They race clockwise (which is backwards to the rest of us) so even the ovals are four right turns. Tracks like Adelaide and Albert Park are double the number of rights compared to lefts.

On a bike, I am also more comfortable turning left (for U-turns as well as at speed,) despite being both right-handed and in the Northern Hemisphere.
Old 12-18-20, 05:34 AM
viperocco

Bikes: 05 Fuji Outland Pro, Fuji cape may, Giant simple single, Peugeot Corbier, Miyata 215st

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts
I thought it was just me but my left turns were way better than my right turns. I rectified this by doing figure 8s both ways in my driveway till i could confidently make low speed tight circles
Old 12-18-20, 09:56 AM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I've never ridden a bike in the Southern Hemisphere, I just realized.
I have. I’m equally slow, both side of the equator.
Old 12-18-20, 10:23 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul J
I'm a Lefty and turning left is easier then right for me too. I do wonder if it has to do with the fact that we ride on the right in the US so left u-turns are more plentiful then right u-turns.
Interesting thread. Yeah I'm inclined to this as well. I never really thought about it until I read this. I'm right handed and if turning in a confined space, I will go left.

It would be interesting to know if people who lived on the other side of the pond are more comfortable turning right.
Old 12-20-20, 08:16 AM
ltokuno

Bikes: Masi, Olmo, Miele, Masi, Masi

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
I found a very sharp, very narrow switchback that I practiced on till I was comfortable with both turning directions slow and at speed. At first I had a preference for turning left though. I was just smoother through left turns and so a little faster.
Old 12-20-20, 08:24 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
As Charles Shackleford alleged once stated,(I'm paraphrasing)

"I can go left. I can go right. I'm amphibious."
Old 12-20-20, 05:15 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 931 Posts
I've never seen a right turn on a velodrome.
Old 12-20-20, 06:00 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
Coming back to this thread after posting a reply, above, I realize that there are two possible ways to interpret the question, and most of you took the one I didn't. So, I will amend my answer to cover both.

When descending or on a fast flat ("fast" being relative), I feel more confident in a tight right-hand corner than I do in a tight left-hand corner. I think it is because, if I overcook a right-hander, I have another lane and all is okay as long as there isn't oncoming traffic. But if I overcook a left-hander, I will run out of pavement, with varying degrees of back things resulting.

When doing a U-turn, I am significantly more comfortable going left than going right, not that I'm not particularly good or graceful at either. I assume the difference is as stated: far more practice because I am almost always starting the maneuver from a right-hand lane.

As a general proposition, my bike handling skills are mediocre at best from a flashy stunt riding standpoint, but pretty darn good riding in a group (holding a line, not surging and slowing, not making unnecessary movements, paying attention to what is going on around me, being predictable). My best bike handling skill is staying within my capabilities and not putting myself in positions where I need exceptional bike handling skills.
Old 12-20-20, 06:01 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
I've never seen a right turn on a velodrome.
Just turn around and voila.
Old 12-20-20, 06:58 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
I'm better at tight left turns, probably because my right side is a little stronger (right hand dominant, used to pushing off from a stop with the right leg) and that translates to comfort when the bike is leaned over. In practice I've never found this to matter - maybe on a mountain bike, but when I'm on a mountain bike and especially wary about taking a right turn too tight that's more to do with worrying about bashing the rear derailer into things than comfort on the bike...
Old 12-20-20, 07:16 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I'm continually surprised by how sensitive you guys are. I don't mean the guys who can distinguish between Reynolds and Colombus tubing by the way a bike rides and the like, which I kinda doubt, but it's clear to me a lot of riders have a level of self-awareness that i don't have. You guys speak knowingly about all kinds of stuff i never pay attention to. From this thread i learn it is probably easier for me to turn left than right. Interesting! I have never thought about it before now. I'll try to think about this when I'm on my bike tomorrow morning....
Old 12-21-20, 05:15 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
^^^^^^^ OK rhm , try this one. When you stop pedaling, coast along, maybe slowing to a stop, are your crank arms level, one front one back? Which pedal is forward? For many people it's naturally the right foot. I had to pay attention to this when I learned to track stand. Right foot for me which I had to retrain to left foot forward due to the crown in the roads. Weird huh?

Is it always right foot for right hand people and left for left handed?

When you're climbing out of the saddle and have to scratch your .........................
Old 12-21-20, 09:55 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler
^^^^^^^ OK rhm , try this one. When you stop pedaling, coast along, maybe slowing to a stop, are your crank arms level, one front one back? Which pedal is forward? For many people it's naturally the right foot. I had to pay attention to this when I learned to track stand. Right foot for me which I had to retrain to left foot forward due to the crown in the roads. Weird huh?

Is it always right foot for right hand people and left for left handed?

When you're climbing out of the saddle and have to scratch your .........................
I'm right handed and right side dominant, when I coast to a stop my right pedal is down with left pedal up because I unclip my left foot at the top of the stroke. I keep my right foot clipped in because it is my dominant leg and that is what I use to start pedaling.
Old 12-21-20, 12:21 PM
AlanO

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Yep. I slow down on right turns. No idea why. I also ballroom dance and right turns are harder.
Old 12-21-20, 03:50 PM
5teveraleigh
steveraleigh

Bikes: Colnago steel superissimo, Detto Pietro (Steel). Raleigh fixi, GT Cross, Alloy customised roadie.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I'm the same, only I turn to the right easier but not so much the left.
Whether I'm riding, skating or running and when I've tried skiing, it's the same feeling. Right seems natural and left is very awkward.
I even feel it to some point driving a car, so I'm wondering if it's psychological, though I expect it's a trained physical thing.

BTW, I'm naturally left handed but was forced to write with my right in early days of school. Now I'm ambidextrous.
I don't know if that has any influence?

I feel your pain. Glad to know it's not just me.

Last edited by 5teveraleigh; 12-21-20 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-21-20, 04:11 PM
jskash

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
I am much more comfortable turning left than turning right, especially if I had to do a U turn.
Old 12-21-20, 04:52 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 402 Posts
Turn? TURN? I've been spending way too much time on the nearby rail-to-trail, perfectly straight. Just a single 180 at the far end (oh, I guess I usually do it to the left).

Old 12-21-20, 06:43 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
UPS and FedX have found right turns easier and faster.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 12-22-20, 10:46 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,214 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
I'm continually surprised by how sensitive you guys are. I don't mean the guys who can distinguish between Reynolds and Colombus tubing by the way a bike rides and the like, which I kinda doubt, but it's clear to me a lot of riders have a level of self-awareness that i don't have. You guys speak knowingly about all kinds of stuff i never pay attention to. From this thread i learn it is probably easier for me to turn left than right. Interesting! I have never thought about it before now. I'll try to think about this when I'm on my bike tomorrow morning....
Gotta agree with you...at east on the “kinda doubt” bit

This might explain a whole lot of what I’ve observed over time in bike path racing, however. I have noticed that most people can’t corner worth a crap. They will be gaining on me on the straights but as soon as the trail starts to have bends, they drop further and further behind. There one corner on a local path that has a 90° turn to the right followed by a 90° turn to the left in about 10 feet. It doesn’t matter which direction I’m heading but I can usually gain distance on most any rider on those corners. I gain much more on the downhill side...maybe as much as 40 or 50 feet.

I have no problem with turning in either direction but I’ve also taught myself too be a little bit ambidextrous. My father and grandmother were left handed...and ambidextrous because they were forced to be...and perhaps it rubbed off. I can throw a yo-yo with my left hand as well as right handed. I’ve learned how to cast flies left handed...handy in close, bushy situations. I even bowled left handed at a holiday party in solidarity with a coworker who had broken her right hand. The first game was horrible but by the third game I had actually managed to throw 2 or 3 strikes. My score was close to what I get with my right hand...I’m a crap bowler. The worst part of bowling like that was that my left hip hurt afterward.

I do wonder if part of the problem people have is because of the way they ride. Many people don’t look much further down the road then their front tire. When teaching new mountain bikers, one of the first things that has to be addressed is to get them to look further down the trail. They tend to get affixed on a target and ride right into it. When I go into a corner...on trail or on road...I look at the exit and beyond. I’ve already gauged the corner for ice, sand, water, dogs, kids, people, etc before entering the corner and know that wheels will carry me through. I don’t need to watch the corner for all that stuff because I’ve already noted it.

On U-turns (and switchbacks), one way I deal with them is to “pin” the corner. I look at the center of the corner as I go around it as if there is a pin in that corner. As I pass the center point of the corner, I lift my gaze and look towards the exit. This is an old mountain biker trick for switchbacks. Often a switchback is a problem because you are looking off a steep drop when you enter the corner. That’s usually disconcerting. “Pinning” the corner makes the rider look into the corner rather than off the edge.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!