Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Intercoms

Old 06-29-20, 10:04 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by lazurm
I'm very interested to learn how well the Terrano units integrate with the Zello app and how, exactly, this app is used when applying it to a Terrano.
Sorry I didn't get to this yesterday. It's raining today, so I had some time to mess with this.

My wife and I ride with the Terrano XT version. We also had the X version for years but last year converted to the newer version for it's longer range. We also use Zello for a variety of things and we had thought this would work well when we were on group rides. We could use the intercom between ourselves and then go over Zello to the larger group ride. This appears to work with the normal Bluetooth caveats.

You have to pair your phone to the headset of course. The phone pairing and connection is controlled by the rear phone button (looking at the unit with the narrow end to your left, it is the right most button). If it has been sometime since you used the phone, when you press the Zello talk button it will take a while for it to kick in (a second or two). You can defeat this delay by touching the phone connection button on the Terrano units. Once you do that, you can use the Zello app as you normally would with any bluetooth device. After a timeout, the phone connection will go to standby and you will need to either redo the button pushing on the Terrano or hold the Zello button down until it is apparent that you've connected.

When you're on Zello, then you're connection to the other Terrano units will be muted. They won't hear you talking on the intercom and on Zello. I would presume that they could join the Zello conversation after a delay for headset connect on the handsfree profile or by touching their phone button on the Terrano unit presuming their phone is paired to the Terrano headset.

You do have to talk loud enough to overcome the noise cancelling on the Terrano mic.

Where there might be some confusion is during the timeout from your phone Zello connection to the Terrano intercom connection again. I believe, although it is difficult to test, that by pushing the intercom channel connection button (left most button) on the Terrano XT it should reconnect or unmute the intercom channel.

The above was having Zello set up on my phone with the handsfree profile and not A2DP. It seemed to work better in handsfree mode rather than A2DP.

Bottom line, I think it's pretty workable. You'll have to fool around a bit to get the hang of it, but looks like it will work as far as I'm concerned. We have used Zello on group rides before with Apple AirPods and one of those bluetooth buttons that velcro to your handlebars. That worked well too but my wife and I still prefer the intercom full duplex conversation between the two of us with the Terrano intercoms. That said, I think this says that we can have our private conversation going on the ride and then connect to the larger group or support via Zello with ease. That makes for a pretty powerful communication system.

I did not try it without the other Terrano XT connected as an intercom, that is to say only connected via Zello.

What's your application for this explicitly?

J.

Last edited by JohnJ80; 06-29-20 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-04-20, 11:41 AM
guisar

Bikes: 2000 Habenero Road, 2022 Habnaero gravel, 2005 Spicer touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
We use a pair of bluetooth capable walkie talkies (ones from Cobra) and bone-conductor headset (which also provides, directions andmusic since they can connect and switch from more than one device). The walkie talkies were super cheap- around $30 a pair off ebay, have voice activation, decent range (over a mile at least on the roads and in the woods) and are quite clear.
Old 03-09-21, 01:19 AM
johnrotellini

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may find this helpful

Hi everyone! I’m new to the forum and this is my first post. That being said, you might find this helpful:

I’m only about a year into road biking and just got a friend of mine involved as well. We both like to listen to music when we ride via various different devices that have transparency modes or use bone conduction.

Like many of you, I wanted to find a simple and reliable solution that would allow us to not only communicate with each other safely but also still allow us to listen to podcasts or music as we saw fit.

That said, I think I might’ve found a homerun solution.

I downloaded an app called Zello (available for iOS and android). It is a free to use walkie-talkie app that utilizes your cell phone’s LTE or 5G service (can also use Wi-Fi if you are ever in a situation where you would need to use Wi-Fi) - basically, as long as your cell phone or other smart device has the ability to send and receive data, you can send and receive walkie-talkie messages.

The beauty of the app is not only that it’s free but it allows you to pair third-party Bluetooth headsets from a variety of manufacturers.

You can also set up hotkeys on various devices to allow you to push a button on your desired device and have it trigger the walkie-talkie function in like a button on a smart helmet or on a pair of headphones if yours come with a button. Bear in mind that the button may work when you do that but may also still try to complete whatever other task it was designed for.

My friend is using a pair of aftershocks bone conduction headphones and I am using some AirPods Pro set to transparency mode.

The app also allows you to have the walkie-talkie messages cut off whatever media you may be listening to or allow the media to continue but have the messages play over the media.

As for some easier controls, I mentioned that you can map the push to talk feature to a button on your desired listening device, if applicable but the app also allows for the integration of various third-party push to talk button‘s, one example I have listed here on Amazon is about $30 and mounts to a bicycle handlebar, giving you an easy to reach and simple button to push when you want to talk.

*edit - apparently you cannot post links in a reply if you have not made at least ten posts, so do a quick Amazon search for: Pryme BLU PTT-ZU Mini and you’ll find it*

Finally, one of the niftiest things about this free app is that you are able to send one on one messages but can also set up a group, so if you are into group rides and would like to be able to talk to the rest of the peloton, you can totally do that!

The only downside that I have been able to find with this system is that it is reliant on the Internet – so if you are somewhere that you do not get good data service, this may not be the choice for you. Past that, for anyone doing any kind of writing in a city, you should be A-OK.

I hope that this may be of use to all of you. I suspect it will be as it is a very affordable option that works with a variety of different audio playback devices and can pair with a variety of smart phones and other smart devices.
Old 07-09-21, 06:39 PM
gracehowler
Rod & Judy

Bikes: Specialized S-works E-5, Davinci joint venture , CoMotion Pangea

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I see this is an old thread, and one I have used!
My wife and I are not touring anymore and I would like to sell our Terrano intercom pair,
used two seasons, we are really happy with them and I hope I can pass a great deal on to someone.
PM me please
Rod
Old 07-17-21, 07:34 PM
PedalCell

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
To add my .02; my motorcycle friend has used his Sena for comms for 4+ years with great success. I call him from time to time while he's riding on the highway and it's pretty unbelievable how clear he sounds. The company has really nailed their ambient/wind noise-canceling. I know they offer a bicycle version too, haven't tried it myself though.
Old 10-13-21, 07:10 AM
lazurm

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'm interested but, man, why didn't you state the price which you should realize is the natural question that anyone would want answered since a purchase always involves value to price ratio?
So...what's the price?

Originally Posted by gracehowler
I see this is an old thread, and one I have used!
My wife and I are not touring anymore and I would like to sell our Terrano intercom pair,
used two seasons, we are really happy with them and I hope I can pass a great deal on to someone.
PM me please
Rod
Old 10-15-21, 12:00 PM
gracehowler
Rod & Judy

Bikes: Specialized S-works E-5, Davinci joint venture , CoMotion Pangea

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by lazurm
I'm interested but, man, why didn't you state the price which you should realize is the natural question that anyone would want answered since a purchase always involves value to price ratio?
So...what's the price?
Thought I erased this, sorry, long ago sold.
Rod