Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Need a system for stainless steel water bottles.

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 07-27-21, 02:54 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts

After my Punc bottle suffered a career-ending injury, I now need a new stainless steel bottle. However, from the looks of all other stainless steel bottles, I'm guessing that I'll need to also get a cage that will properly hold the new bottle. How can I know that a cage and stainless steel bottle will securely fit together without being able to try them together first? Has a standard been developed for stainless steel bottles and their cages? Does anyone have product recommendations within this context?
Old 07-27-21, 03:29 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Are you looking for an insulated bottle?

I have found that many of the standard size Contigo water bottles fit very well in standard bicycle cages. Get one that is bare stainless and not painted. Plastic cages won't rattle as much as metal.
Old 07-27-21, 05:19 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Stainless was not my priority, but I was interested in good insulation, such as a vacuum bottle for hot coffee or coco in cool weather, or iced coffee in summer. With a thread on lid, you stop and put your feet on the ground when you want to take a swig, or risk dropping and losing the lid.

I use some half liter sized insulated bottles. Over the years I have tried many things to try to make different insulated bottles fit well in cages. This is my final solution.

I cut some sleeves from a mountain bike size inner tube, maybe 10mm long. Stretch them over the bottle to add thickness. I think I have three thicknesses of inner tube sleeves. Then wrapped electrical tape over the rubber sleeves. I do not know if the tape was needed but I wanted them to slide in easily and the rubber might have been more grippy than I wanted.

It took some trial and error to get my sleeves at exactly the right height and thickness so that the bottle does not rattle on the metal cage. The uppermost sleeve is only to prevent rattling.

It took some time to do this, but I am quite happy with result. I use those bottles in about three or four of my bikes, each has a different brand of bottle cages, so getting the sleeves in the right places took me more time, as each cage was built a bit differently.

Mine are Manna brand. The first two I bought lost insulation very quickly, but the next two have been in use now for about a year and a half. The paint is chipping off one of my bottles, unpainted is better.

The simplest option was my first one, a foam soda pop can or beer can holder made this bottle fit well in a cage, this photo is almost a decade old. This was a Thermos brand insulated bottle with a flip top lid.

Old 07-27-21, 06:43 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Stainless was not my priority, but I was interested in good insulation, such as a vacuum bottle for hot coffee or coco in cool weather, or iced coffee in summer. With a thread on lid, you stop and put your feet on the ground when you want to take a swig, or risk dropping and losing the lid.
I have struggled with this issue a little. Stopping and putting feet on the ground to drink has mostly been a non starter for me so far except for breaks in towns or for the scenery. I really have even resisted losing the ability to squeeze the bottle to drink. On the other hand having a cold (or hot when appropriate) drink can be nice.

I think if I were to decide I was willing to accept the need to stop to drink I'd take my Camelbak Stainless Chute Mag bottles they come in 12, 20, 32, and 40 ounce sizes. I like the design and the cap is retained. Since the sacrifice of stopping was already made a cargo cage could be used if you wanted to. It would probably fit all 4 sizes if you chose the right one. That way you could swap various bottle types and sizes or even carry stuff other than bottles in the cages as needed.

So far I have been unwilling to forsake my plastic squeeze bottles. I have done two other solutions in places where I really needed a solution for cold water. Once I took a big Camelbak filled with ice in the morning for a very hot tour in the desert. The ice on my back in the 100+F heat was a joy and cold water all day was nice. Another time in the Sierras there were cold mountain streams and I stopped frequently in the 100+ heat and filtered for a cold drink and to admire the scenery.
Old 07-27-21, 07:34 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by staehpj1
So far I have been unwilling to forsake my plastic squeeze bottles.....
When touring, on some trips I leave the stainless bottles at home and use one liter size plastic bottles. These bottles came without the right lids for that but the lids are unterchangeable with flip top type lids on other sizes.

On the bike I have a one liter Smart Water and a pair of one liter size Life WTR bottles. I was not sure what they had in stores in Canada so I brought these bottles from home. Yeah, they are disposable but I keep re-using them until I punch a hole or something like that.

Fortunately my frame is of a size that I can fit a one liter bottle on the seat tube and under the downtube, not all bikes can take the bigger bottles in those places. The under downtube bottle is best held in place with a strap or elastic at the top to prevent it from launching out of the cage at pot holes or railroad tracks.

I can understand the bag of ice on the back in the hot desert, but otherwise I avoid carrying a pack on my back when on a bike. But I never raced, I can see where a former racer would like the feel of a lighter weight bike, even if it means the total weight is the same and the extra weight is transferred to a back pack.
Old 07-27-21, 07:40 AM
Tourist in MSN

I think Velo Orange makes a big bottle cage that can take a one liter Nalgene (plastic) bottle. That cage might also take stainless bottles, check their website.
Old 07-27-21, 08:21 AM
staehpj1

I can understand the bag of ice on the back in the hot desert, but otherwise I avoid carrying a pack on my back when on a bike. But I never raced, I can see where a former racer would like the feel of a lighter weight bike, even if it means the total weight is the same and the extra weight is transferred to a back pack.
The only time I have used the camelbak was in the desert in extreme heat and the reason was that if filled with ice in the morning the ice lasted all day. Also the the cool ice and steady drip on my back felt good. My drinking bottles are regular bike bottles. I usually add capacity by recycling used sport drink or bottled water bottles that are grabbed or discarded as needed. I refill the bike bottles from them. I'd probably carry them on the bike if my bags had the space (and did so when I used panniers) and it was easy access, but a little backpack or even jersey pockets suffice for those days where the extra capacity is needed.

I was surprised when I learned that I actually liked wearing the little backpack. I wore it figuring it was a hardship to be endured and left it on after I decided I actually liked it as long as it was a comfy little one that was lightly loaded enough. With 9-14 pounds of stuff split somewhat evenly between the front of the bike, the back of the bike, and my back it is almost like riding without a load at all. If the backpack bothered me I'd try a fanny pack (I own a range of sizes up to 13 liters), but it doesn't.

I know I have said this many times before, buy I have found that a little backpack with no more than a few pounds in it is no problem and I like having a few thing that automatically stay with me when I get off the bike. Adding a few more pounds of water makes it a lot less nice, but that is only for those times when extra is needed and it gets reduced/emptied as soon as I use some water. I seldom have gone more than 24 hours without resupply on water and at those times I forego using much for washing myself or dishes. I wipe my body down with a damp rag and let the evening dishes go until I have water again, so I really don't carry all that much.
Old 07-27-21, 08:48 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by staehpj1
I was surprised when I learned that I actually liked wearing the little backpack. ....
I have seen a lot of roadies in my area that have no more weight on the bike than a tiny under-seat bag with their spare tube and one bottle, some even carry their pump in a jersey pocket. And some wear small backpacks or fanny packs.

I prefer to have all the weight on the bike. But, ice on my back does sound like a good idea in really hot weather.

We all have our preferences that vary a lot.
Old 07-27-21, 08:58 AM
staehpj1

I have seen a lot of roadies in my area that have no more weight on the bike than a tiny under-seat bag with their spare tube and one bottle, some even carry their pump in a jersey pocket.
That is typically what I do on day rides. Sometimes the mini pump may be on the bike, depending on the bike. Given the Tallahassee heat there may also be two bottles sometimes.

The only other things are usually health insurance card and drivers license in ziplock, possibly granola bar or gels if the ride is long, and house key and ID dog tag on cord around neck.

Last edited by staehpj1; 07-27-21 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-27-21, 09:39 AM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 513 Times in 285 Posts
Do any of you use an adjustable cage like this? Top Peak Modula. I tried a knock off copy from China, but it was too flimsy.
Old 07-27-21, 09:01 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I use Profile Design cages and stainless steel thermoses on really hot days.

Keeps the water COLD for HOURS.

Cheers
Old 07-27-21, 10:10 PM
Rick

Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 262 Posts
Klean Kanteen makes SS bottles that fit regular water bottle cages.
Likes For Rick:
Old 07-28-21, 09:25 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbud
Do any of you use an adjustable cage like this? Top Peak Modula.
Yes, I use them to hold regular water bottles as well as a thinner 50 cl (PET) bottle with denatured alcohol under the down tube. They work fine.

I use the XL models for carrying 1,5 litre PET bottles too.

The blue bottle is a 75 cl bike bottle

Likes For imi:
Old 07-30-21, 02:20 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
I think Velo Orange makes a big bottle cage that can take a one liter Nalgene (plastic) bottle. That cage might also take stainless bottles, check their website.
Yep, the Mojave cage. Matches well with their retro cage. I have used mine with a large 1.2L thermos and insulated Klean Kanteen TK Wide 32oz / 1L + regular non-insulated bottle for a 2.4 L total. Mind you, that's on a 66cm frame, so I have a bit more space than most in the triangle.

I haven't tried it with their 64oz / 1.9L insulated model but my guess is you would be better off with a fork mounted anything cage. And if it is for cooking just bring a non-insulated bottle for half the weight.

I have been contemplating bringing a stem bag to keep a smaller bottle close by for my next touur through Southern France.

Last edited by JaccoW; 07-30-21 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-30-21, 02:35 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by JaccoW
I have been contemplating bringing a stem bag to keep a smaller bottle close by for my next touur through Southern France.

Interesting frame bag. Shape looks very well thought out.

I have seen seat tube mounted levers to turn a tire driven generator on or off, but I do not see a generator. Is it used for some other purpose?
Old 07-30-21, 02:46 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Interesting frame bag. Shape looks very well thought out.

I have seen seat tube mounted levers to turn a tire driven generator on or off, but I do not see a generator. Is it used for some other purpose?
Thanks. It's a custom bag I had made for this bike. My estimate puts it at 5.5 liter (1.45 gal) The bottom triangle has a zipper to compartmentalize a spare inner tube and some other small stuff. The little bump on the top rear of the bag is for some extra space so I can put tent poles inside a couple of loops and makes it easier to stuff the rest of the tent elsewhere. This side just has a small map pocket over the entire length. The main compartment is accessible from the other side.

You're right about it being for a bottom bracket generator. I removed mine since it was broken.
Old 07-30-21, 09:10 PM
SirLeaflock

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Priority Classic Plus Gotham-Edition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
After my ... suffered a career-ending injury, I now need a new stainless steel bottle. However, from the looks of all other stainless steel bottles, I'm guessing that I'll need to also get a cage that will properly hold the new bottle. How can I know that a cage and stainless steel bottle will securely fit together without being able to try them together first? Has a standard been developed for stainless steel bottles and their cages? Does anyone have product recommendations within this context?
I don't think I can post a link yet, but the Iris King Cage holds 27oz Kleen Kanteen bottles as well as the shorter ones... I've enjoyed the combination on my bike.

I'll also add that a 3L Camelbak on the back is wonderful on a hot day.
Old 07-31-21, 12:47 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by SirLeaflock
I don't think I can post a link yet, but the Iris King Cage holds 27oz Kleen Kanteen bottles as well as the shorter ones... I've enjoyed the combination on my bike.

I'll also add that a 3L Camelbak on the back is wonderful on a hot day.
Yup, you can see one on my picture above underneath the downtube.
Old 08-01-21, 07:46 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
It looks like the key is to get cages that have no tab. The tab is the part of standard cages that hooks onto the back of standard bottles (in their indentation). Perusing all of VO's cages, they show/recommend a couple different ones for cylindrical bottles. All of them are made of maleable steel, for to improve the fit for each bottle

Incidentally, the part of my Punc bottle that broke - the cap - just happens to match the threading of Klean Kanteen caps. So now I can keep using this bottle (which fits standard cages). I will still be getting new bottles and cages though, since I need additional ones and with larger capacities.

Thanks to all for your input. TnMSN, that's a great way you have for adjusting the fit of the bottles. Innertube pieces + electrical tape.
Old 08-01-21, 09:38 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Here's what I do for some situations: Velo-Orange Mojave cage (same as used by JaccoW ) with Simple Modern Summit 40oz insulated bottle. I checked dimensions on a bunch of cages and bottles (and measured how much clearance I'd need for my cranks) before buying stuff:

Sorry about the junk in the background, but you can see I took a small bungee cord and cut off one of the hooks to make a system for retaining the bottle on bumpy roads. Apart from not being able to drink from it while moving, I'm completely satisfied with the setup!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 08-01-21 at 09:43 PM.
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 08-02-21, 04:10 PM
cnickroot

Bikes: 1984 Rodriguez Custom Touring // 2022 Trek Marlin 6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've not yet purchased one for myself, but there is this option that I've been watching in Amazon. Gets pretty good reviews except for paint chips from the bottle. It's specifically designed to fit in bottle cages.

Can't post links yet, so search for Travel Kuppe Vacuum Insulated Stainless Steel Cycling Sports Water Bottle, Includes Both Straw and Sip Lid
Old 08-03-21, 09:30 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Here is a solution that will fit a wide range of bottles:
https://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Modula...dp/B004Y69QX8/
I use it for a coffee mug for my AM commuting, and for larger, non-standard bottles while touring (it will fit a standard bottle also).

King Cage also makes a 1-liter Nalgene cage. I have this one and it works well for the Nalgenes, but the stainless would need to be about the same size.
Old 08-05-21, 08:29 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
Bivo specifically makes stainless steel water bottles for bikes that are the same dimensions as other cycling water bottles.