Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 07-27-19, 07:07 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2506 Post(s)
Liked 2,964 Times in 1,575 Posts
GL on the GRE!!!
Old 07-27-19, 08:07 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Couple decent feeling efforts and an 8 minute interval that felt good.

Started another interval heading up a hill and my lower back got really bad really suddenly. Bagged it and rolled home the quickest way I could get there. Must have tweaked it using it too much during the interval. Need more core work and stability stuff, especially lower back.

Gonna take a very easy week, maybe just off totally, try to rehab it.
Old 07-27-19, 02:26 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Friday the stationary trainer wouldn’t cal correctly and link to the gps and stuff for erg. Finally got it but pretty sure it was reading low.

I struggled out 3 and half 5min efforts with 3min rbi. I chose 320 since close to new 20min goal.

Workout just felt crap despite giving it a mammoth try.

Then, a good night rest and about the fastest in town ride I’ve ever done. Almost 21mph on a route the A group average is about 20 +/- a few tenths. Like thoroughly crushed it. I did go out early though and made a few stoplights favorably. About 55ft per mile.

Not having hills I could hammer down dropped the avg some but 240w np for 90min.

I felt unusually comfortable at about 270ish during the ride. Just a foreign number to be comfortable with to me. Change is happening.
Old 07-27-19, 04:41 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Tabatas this morning. I guess it rained last night cuz the road was wet and it was humid. Not common for July in Utah.

GRE this afternoon. Beat my score against the practice test I did and did plenty well enough for the program I want to get into. 324 is plenty good enough even if I know I missed some stupid questions and got caught up taking too long on a few of the math ones and had to guess on ones I ran out of time for. I put off taking this for too long. Should've just got it done with...
Likes For Ttoc6:
Old 07-27-19, 05:24 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Tabatas this morning. I guess it rained last night cuz the road was wet and it was humid. Not common for July in Utah.

GRE this afternoon. Beat my score against the practice test I did and did plenty well enough for the program I want to get into. 324 is plenty good enough even if I know I missed some stupid questions and got caught up taking too long on a few of the math ones and had to guess on ones I ran out of time for. I put off taking this for too long. Should've just got it done with...
Congrats. That's awesome.
Old 07-29-19, 09:32 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked 2,444 Times in 1,429 Posts
4 hours of endurance riding this weekend including a ride through Camp Pendleton and San Onofre beach park to San Clemente.
Old 07-29-19, 10:10 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Two 30 minute SS intervals on the trail; didn't hit the numbers because of the heat (topped out at 108) and an unusual amount of foot traffic (its usually empty).

Went camping this weekend up near Big Bear @ 7000 ft. and went over my nutrition numbers but I did so much work at the campsite it was probably a maintenance day. Went on an easy ride on the CX bike; it gets a bit sketchy when you're on a lone dirt road in the middle of nowhere and there are fresh trash that are definitely bigger than a dog....
Old 07-29-19, 12:11 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by furiousferret
Went camping this weekend up near Big Bear @ 7000 ft. and went over my nutrition numbers but I did so much work at the campsite it was probably a maintenance day. Went on an easy ride on the CX bike; it gets a bit sketchy when you're on a lone dirt road in the middle of nowhere and there are fresh trash that are definitely bigger than a dog....
Cool, where did you stay? S shore? N Shore? Did you ride Skyline? Hanna Flat?
Old 07-29-19, 12:36 PM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by TMonk
Cool, where did you stay? S shore? N Shore? Did you ride Skyline? Hanna Flat?
Green Valley Lake, I rode on 2N13. Didn't go for long, the road was locked up about a mile and a half in, and I really didn't want to break my leg somewhere no one goes so I just rode a loop of Green Valley Lake Road.

When I say 'near Big Bear' that's for the people not in SoCal, although it is just 10 miles away...kind of like when I tell people I live near Los Angeles.
Old 07-29-19, 12:55 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

gotcha. Good riding out there? It's nearby Hanna Flat, I'm wondering if I could connect the two areas by trail.
Old 07-29-19, 01:28 PM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by TMonk
gotcha. Good riding out there? It's nearby Hanna Flat, I'm wondering if I could connect the two areas by trail.
Not really, I'm the last person to ask about that stuff (I rarely ride on dirt) but it was basically a fire road; probably not something a real MTB'er would get excited about. 2N13 looks like it ends somewhere near Hanna Flats.
Old 07-29-19, 06:26 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
My son and I went up to the lake to escape the heat of the valley and it was awesome.
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-30-19, 06:35 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Last week I missed that last rep of the 3x8's.

Yesterday I felt good during the first two reps so did a "stretch goal" and hit them at 10min instead. Last rep was 8min. Wound up with 2x10 and 1x8.

Good stuff. Tells me the body is handling "more" at that level now to bump duration and such.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 07-30-19, 12:16 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Quick and intense lunch spin. I tried to concoct about the worst thing I could think of for 30min as a last "hiit" before vacation.

5min warmup
2min all out
1min rest
2min all out
3min rest
2min all out
3min rest
10min SS
2min at power interval power to finish up
cool down

When I say all-out, I mean all-out.

I went at a new PR for 2 min power for each of those reps. I've had the monkey on my back for a while not being able to get over about 380w or so for 2min. Bagged 400 for those today. Usually the 380w was a one-and-done deal.

Wasn't trying for a new 5min PR, but with the 2min, 1min, 2min it averaged out to a new one at 340w.

I'd guess all out for 5min I could do more if it wasn't an average.

After taking a good dump, a leak, and standing on the scale nekked this AM......all that at 152 lbs. So almost 5.0 w/kg for 5min. Nothing Earth shattering for you all, but great stuff for me.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 07-30-19, 01:48 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked 2,444 Times in 1,429 Posts
Fiesta...road bike...2 sets of 5x(1’on2’off) 10’ RBI. Brutal. It was supposed to be 3 sets but I decided to test (me) with two versus three sets to see how I felt/recovered. The second set was better than the first. My Garmin 820 always gives me a recovery estimate. The highest I have ever got was 44 hours and today was 37 hours. Another set would have set would have meant I did 15, one minute, all out efforts and probably a new high water mark for required recovery.
Old 07-30-19, 02:14 PM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
At about 55 miles into the group race ride on Saturday, two of the young guns started to sprint at what I thought was the sprint finish. Jumped on the wheel, then accelerated past them. Look at my numbers. Peak power 1383 watts. Averaged 1001 watts for 22 seconds. Turns out it wasn't the sprint sign. That sign was 2 miles down the road. But my first sprint actually bridged me up to the break of 2. And then 2 more behind eventually joined us. Teammate attacked again. Rest of us waited for another uphill sprint. Teammate off the front won, I won the (2nd) sprint. That 1383 is something I might pull off when fully rested and practicing a sprint. Really surprised I could do it in a non-rested scenario. However I had been essentially sitting in for many miles with teammate in the break of 2.
Likes For Radish_legs:
Old 07-30-19, 06:56 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I'm impressed.
Old 07-30-19, 09:33 PM
furiousferret

Finally broke 5 w/kg (318w) and hit a new 1 minute pr by 16 watts (493w). Going into the first hill I had a perfect wheel behind the course KOM holder and I just held as long as I could; fell back a bit and rode with another fast climber and cracked about 8 minutes in. I would have done better had I not taken off at the start like that but I'm in this spot where I'm too fast for the second group, too slow for the leaders. So I just have to keep pushing until I can hold their wheel, maybe be a bit selfish and not take any pulls...

Definitely a good sign, that is if SoCal ever gets another road race with elevation...
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 07-31-19, 07:11 AM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
Finally broke 5 w/kg (318w) and hit a new 1 minute pr by 16 watts (493w). Going into the first hill I had a perfect wheel behind the course KOM holder and I just held as long as I could; fell back a bit and rode with another fast climber and cracked about 8 minutes in. I would have done better had I not taken off at the start like that but I'm in this spot where I'm too fast for the second group, too slow for the leaders. So I just have to keep pushing until I can hold their wheel, maybe be a bit selfish and not take any pulls...

Definitely a good sign, that is if SoCal ever gets another road race with elevation...
although I'm not suited for climbing with my weight, I wish I had the opportunity to do a group ride with that kind of climbing.
Likes For Radish_legs:
Old 07-31-19, 07:13 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Tired.. Monday lift (Deadlift), Tuesday was a commute to work (17 miles), ride to to the groupride and climb the divide afterwards. Slow time up the divide. It's so damn hot here.

Got me to 81 miles total with a 10 hour workday in the middle.

Today was just a hlaf hour on the trainer.
Old 08-04-19, 07:09 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Not my most efficient ride, but sometimes that's okay.

Should've been about 90 minutes just kind of hard, no set wattage. Hit the hills hard, tempo or threshold on the flats.

First issue was a woman on the side of the road struggling, asked if she needed help, ended up changing her front tube for her.

Then I realized it wasn't wise to continue with my cleats the way they were (I had changed them before the ride), so I stopped for a while to fix them.

Ended up cutting the distance to make it home in time in case the kids woke up (I aim to be home by 830 to get them).
Old 08-06-19, 10:50 PM
furiousferret

Had another great ride at Worlds, but unfortunately popped from the lead group of 3 about halfway up. Rolled with another rider for 4th, feels pretty good. Unfortunately the season is coming to a close so I'm not sure if I can leverage this form.
Old 08-07-19, 11:36 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

In my third week of off season vibes - been swimming, jogging and hiking once/week. Outside of that, riding has been Tuesday Night Track racing, commuting most days (10 mi/trip) and one long ride on the weekends. Still have some form and having fun going fast at Track.

Next month I'll probably stop track (ends after September) and have a couple long weekends off the bike planned. One for food, drink and dining (Nashville), and one for backpacking (Mt. Tyndall Sierra Nevada). In October I'll mostly dawdle and throw in a super long ride or two, than it's back to base training in November!
Old 08-08-19, 10:03 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Been a busy couple of weeks. Tuesday group rides, Thursday divide days / 2x20 on the trainer. Today I hit a new PR by all of 1 second up the divide. It'll be in the tour of Utah next week and I look forawrd to seeing those guys got multiple of minutes faster than me.
Old 08-09-19, 03:51 PM
furiousferret

It looks like my season is over; I have Hill Climb Worlds next month, but I'm not going to specifically train for it. Its only 22 weeks til next season and I don't want to spend 5 of those waking up at 2 am hungry every night.

Last fall I more or less ruined 2019 year by taking 16 weeks off and going on an eating bender and ballooning 20 pounds. Granted, I had patellar tendonitis so there had to be a break but I went overboard and really didn't get my power back until April, and race weight til June.

So I'm not sure what I'll do with these weeks but I want to be on form in Mid January. I'm not going to let my weight go too far south and will probably increase the volume but less intensity. I may do CX or fall crits (CBR, Santa Anita), but I don't expect much so I'll probably pass. I have a pretty niche power profile and I'm going to exploit that. I'd like to be at 5 w/kg for 20m, which sounds crazy considering I barely broke 4 my first few years in, but I'm only about 22 watts off that.

Last edited by furiousferret; 08-09-19 at 03:55 PM.
Likes For furiousferret:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.