Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Name / Location plates?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Name / Location plates?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-18, 02:00 PM
woodcycl
Cycle for life...

Bikes: Trek 5200 | Cannondale Six13 TeamOne | Cannondale Road Tandem | Cannondale Prophet 3 "Lefty"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Name / Location plates?

My stoker and I have noticed many tandems who utilize and display a plate on the back of their tandem much like a vanity auto plate, but with their name, location, and occasionally a phrase. Always thought the idea was neat.

Now, we are planning on riding a couple tandem-only bike tours this coming season. I have no idea where to find this kind of thing or find out the options, how to attach, etc. We no longer use a rear rack / pack. We only utilize a stoker under the seat bag.

On typical every day club rides we may not want to use it, but on larger bike tours and especially tours with all or mostly tandems, it seems like a neat and social idea to me.

Thanks for any input.
06' Cannondale Six13 TeamOne
06' Cannondale Prophet 3 "Lefty"
92' Trek 5200

Last edited by woodcycl; 03-04-18 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-04-18, 03:32 PM
gracehowler
Rod & Judy

Bikes: Specialized S-works E-5, Davinci joint venture , CoMotion Pangea

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Seen that also, no idea where to find, we use a state flag instead, mounted on a fiberglass pole, also gives visibility.
R&J
Old 03-05-18, 01:02 AM
akexpress 

Bikes: 2015 Calfee Tetra tandem,2016 Calfee Tetra Adventure Tandem, Ventana ECDM 26 mtn tandem, Ventana ECDM 29r full suspension Mtn tandem ,Ventana Fat tire tandem, Calfee Dragon Fly, Santa Cruz Carbon 5010, 907 Whiteout fat tire

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I suspect many(most) of those placards are from participants of Santana tandem tours. They supply those to their customers whom do their trips.
Old 03-05-18, 05:13 AM
mikebian 

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Tandem, Ventana ECdM Tandem, Kent Eriksen Custom Coupled Tandem, Meridian Coupled Triplet, Canondale MTB Tandem, Landshark Tandem, Giant TCR, SantaCruz Blur LTb

Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
A lot of the tandem rallies give them out. The Eastern Tandem Rally has done so for many years. My wife and I ran the 2013 and 2016 ETRs. For 2013, we printed the license plates on paper and had them laminated. Nice, but not very durable. For 2016, we had aluminum ones made from TeamLogoDesigner.com. You can have them print just one for you also. They came out really nice. In either case, we gave out small zip ties and people attached them to their seat rails, racks, pack bags or whatever.
Old 03-05-18, 09:03 AM
woodcycl
Cycle for life...

Bikes: Trek 5200 | Cannondale Six13 TeamOne | Cannondale Road Tandem | Cannondale Prophet 3 "Lefty"

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Great, thanks for the tips. I'll look into them.
92' Trek 5200
Old 03-05-18, 10:16 AM
woodcycl
Cycle for life...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mikebian
A lot of the tandem rallies give them out. The Eastern Tandem Rally has done so for many years. My wife and I ran the 2013 and 2016 ETRs. For 2013, we printed the license plates on paper and had them laminated. Nice, but not very durable. For 2016, we had aluminum ones made from TeamLogoDesigner.com. You can have them print just one for you also. They came out really nice. In either case, we gave out small zip ties and people attached them to their seat rails, racks, pack bags or whatever.
Which size, 3x6 or 4x7, did you all use? I assume the smaller 3x6 is more feasible on the bike? Would you mind sharing a pic of yours? I only have a memory or two of how folks set theirs up from a few rides we've seen them on.
92' Trek 5200
Old 03-05-18, 08:48 PM
mikebian 

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Tandem, Ventana ECdM Tandem, Kent Eriksen Custom Coupled Tandem, Meridian Coupled Triplet, Canondale MTB Tandem, Landshark Tandem, Giant TCR, SantaCruz Blur LTb

Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
The plates are 3x6. Here are pics of the two from our rallies, plus last year's. We don't have them on the bike anymore. We kind of got tired of people we don't know saying "hi Mike and Caren". It's jarring because we always momentarily are wondering why strangers know our names.

Old 03-05-18, 09:20 PM
woodcycl
Cycle for life...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Those are great! Yes, I know what you mean. I plan to only utilize them on the larger bike tours.

Just placed an order for two tonight at TeamLogoDesign as you suggested. Thanks for the tip!
92' Trek 5200