Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your Raleigh Super Course!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your Raleigh Super Course!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-13, 05:35 AM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Fine build sir!,,,,BD
Old 11-30-13, 07:57 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I am missing the 85 Raleigh RacingUSA Super Course.. to complete the set of 4

https://sheldonbrown.com/retroraleigh...5/pages/1.html

All 1985 Raleighs, black is 85 Prestige, white is 85 Compeition, red frame on bike stand, 85 Grand Prix..

Old 12-01-13, 05:58 PM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 519 Times in 281 Posts
Originally Posted by cehowardGS
I am missing the 85 Raleigh RacingUSA Super Course.. to complete the set of 4
Like this? https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/4221340366.html
Old 12-01-13, 08:16 PM
PlymouthJLA
Planet Earth

Bikes: 1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports, 1970 Raleigh Super Course, 1994 Serrota Colorado Ti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 11 Posts

Just picked this '70 up last weekend. She's in nice shape, rides really nicely, and came with all the cool accessories (frame pump, saddle bag) which I ended up taking off since this is my daily rider here at UC Davis and don't want any of them to grow legs. I am really looking forward to my next couple years riding this everyday, and I suspect it'll get me in trouble around campus with how quick it is. The Huret derailleurs are very interesting, an almost an odd pleasure to use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0132.jpg (105.4 KB, 345 views)
1972RaleighSuperCourse_small.jpg (105.1 KB, 367 views)

Last edited by PlymouthJLA; 02-19-16 at 09:38 AM. Reason: correction
Old 12-01-13, 09:28 PM
fixed1313

Bikes: '76 Raleigh Grand Prix,' 75 Raleigh Sports, '69 - '73 Raleigh Drop Bar 3-speed, '59 Parliament, '52? Raleigh Sports, '75 Raleigh Super Course, Surly Cross Check, Bridgestone RB-1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Huret derailleurs are very interesting, an almost an odd pleasure to use.
I agree 100%............. I will not switch mine out, have them on several bikes and I am always looking for more to hoard.
Old 12-03-13, 02:53 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jeirvine
Yup, that's it.. That will make me have the 4.. Also, they made two models of this Super Course, all with the same 85 markings. Later 84, they made that blue one, and in 85, they made the blackberry one, which is the same color as my 85 Prestige..

Dam, I would like to get that one, it is my size too.. Will see what is going on that with that. See what kind of deal can be made, and some closer pictures..

Thanks for the headsup...
Old 12-03-13, 03:20 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,464 Times in 1,433 Posts
PlymouthJLA, that looks excellent.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-04-13, 03:05 AM
PlymouthJLA
Planet Earth

Bikes: 1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports, 1970 Raleigh Super Course, 1994 Serrota Colorado Ti

Originally Posted by noglider
PlymouthJLA, that looks excellent.
My pictures don't quite do it justice. It's definitely not perfect, but overall its very nice. I was really happy when I went to look at it. This bike has actually been posted on this thread before (top of page 13, by TT331FB). When I saw the craigslist ad for it, I knew I had seen that picture before.

As for the Hurets: as much as I like them, they do tend to occasionally cause me to slip off the pedals when the rear decides to shift and freewheel off the top of the gears without dropping back in (something I've never experienced before). I might switch them out to Suntours (thinking Cyclone) if I don't get more savvy with them, but I'd definitely keep all the parts. I do love those really large Huret shift levers, they're just fun.
Old 12-04-13, 08:22 AM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Plymouth - Welcome to C&V and congrats on such a fine SC.

The condition you describe

Originally Posted by PlymouthJLA
... to occasionally cause me to slip off the pedals when the rear decides to shift and freewheel off the top of the gears without dropping back in ..
sounds more like chain-skate to me. It occurs when the chain and cog don't "know" each other. Sort of in the Biblical sense. It occurs when you have a worn chain and and un-worn cog or, a new chain with a worn cog. It's often best to just replace both the chain and freewheel together. (Unresolved chain-skate that causes you to slip off the pedals can secure a place for you in the boy's choir. )
Old 12-04-13, 08:31 AM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

I dunno - my Huret made me much happier as a high-dollar eBay sales item than it ever did as an actual component on a bike.
Old 12-04-13, 12:22 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Hiya, I sent the seller and email, and he responded with a phone number. I had told him in the email that I am in MD. They are in Texas.
After he found out how far away I was, we agreed to talk again in a weeks time. If he gets a local sale, that will come first.

The seller thought it was a 54cm. Just from eyeballing it, it appears to be a 58 or 60cm. He told me the measurements were 23.7 inches from seatpost to crank.
That comes to about 60cm..

I would really like to add this to my collection..

Old 12-05-13, 11:33 PM
PlymouthJLA
Planet Earth

Originally Posted by auchencrow
Plymouth - Welcome to C&V and congrats on such a fine SC.

The condition you describe sounds more like chain-skate to me. It occurs when the chain and cog don't "know" each other. Sort of in the Biblical sense. It occurs when you have a worn chain and and un-worn cog or, a new chain with a worn cog. It's often best to just replace both the chain and freewheel together. (Unresolved chain-skate that causes you to slip off the pedals can secure a place for you in the boy's choir. )
Thank you! I blame this forum, and all the really cool C&V bikes around Davis, for me deciding on this Super Course!

I figured it wasn't normal, but the cogs are in fine shape so I'm guessing it might be a function of the chain or rear derailleur. I'll take it by a shop here in town and see what they say. You're right though; It's tried to offer me a spot on that choir a time or two, and the Brooks with that little nose doesn't help either!
Old 12-09-13, 09:29 AM
Real1shepherd

Bikes: Trek, Raleigh, Schwinn, Yokota

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cehowardGS
Hiya, I sent the seller and email, and he responded with a phone number. I had told him in the email that I am in MD. They are in Texas.
After he found out how far away I was, we agreed to talk again in a weeks time. If he gets a local sale, that will come first.

The seller thought it was a 54cm. Just from eyeballing it, it appears to be a 58 or 60cm. He told me the measurements were 23.7 inches from seatpost to crank.
That comes to about 60cm..

I would really like to add this to my collection..

I see that you have a Competition GS...that's what I started out looking for and missed an original owner bike by two days. So on the 'rebound', I bought the old SC. I'd be interested in your opinions on riding differences and of course how they are each equipped, if you get a SC. It may not be worth it to me to continue the GS hunt if it's a very similar ride experience and therefore moot.

Kevin
Old 12-09-13, 09:05 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Real1shepherd
I see that you have a Competition GS...that's what I started out looking for and missed an original owner bike by two days. So on the 'rebound', I bought the old SC. I'd be interested in your opinions on riding differences and of course how they are each equipped, if you get a SC. It may not be worth it to me to continue the GS hunt if it's a very similar ride experience and therefore moot.

Kevin
IMO, the 78/79 Raleigh Competition GS and the 1985 Raleigh Super Course are different animals to me..The GS is more "old school". made in England, Campy group, whereas, the 85 Comp, is Japanese, more modern style, aero stuff, almost like a 78 Corvette, to an 85 Corvette!

I had a sweet 2nd 79 Comp that I sold, the one I have now, my son gave it to me over 30 years ago. It has a lot of sentimental history with me. Been stolen once, and recovered.. In summary, you can't go wrong with either one, but they are different..
Old 12-10-13, 09:44 AM
Real1shepherd

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Actually, I was talking about similar yrs, or at least staying in the English made 70's. I.e., like a '73 SC against a '78 or so Comp GS. Things changed a lot in the 80's as production moved to Asia and even over here to the US.

Kevin
Old 12-12-13, 07:41 PM
LECHERO531

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Went thru a couple of phases, ultimately just too tall. In process of building another for the winter. Will still be a super course, but a Mark 2 with a slightly Neo-Retro feel about it. With box.
Attached Images
RLSCPICT0179.jpg (101.5 KB, 368 views)
PICT0176.jpg (103.1 KB, 351 views)
Old 12-18-13, 01:07 PM
IknowURider

Bikes: 1991 Tomassini Prestige 1973 Raliegh Supercourse, 1975 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1983 Fuji S-12, 1975 Motobecane Mirage, 1983 Motobecane Super Mirage 1999 Trek 930 1989 Trek 930 ,

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
(doh, I hate this site's uploader, sorry for the 2X images)

1973 , frame was dredged from a pile of crap in a bike co-op , definitely destined for the scrap pile. It has been ridden very , very hard but is still amazing. Wolber single walls, Stronglight crankset, Campy Grupo all added by me. This is the "fast rain bike". When it's crappy out but I still want to get an errand done quickly.
Attached Images
PC180001.jpg (100.5 KB, 380 views)
Old 12-18-13, 04:01 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by IknowURider
(doh, I hate this site's uploader, sorry for the 2X images)

1973 , frame was dredged from a pile of crap in a bike co-op , definitely destined for the scrap pile. It has been ridden very , very hard but is still amazing. Wolber single walls, Stronglight crankset, Campy Grupo all added by me. This is the "fast rain bike". When it's crappy out but I still want to get an errand done quickly.
Great picture, great writeup. Makes me love mine even more.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 12-19-13, 12:27 PM
IknowURider

Bikes: 1991 Tomassini Prestige 1973 Raliegh Supercourse, 1975 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1983 Fuji S-12, 1975 Motobecane Mirage, 1983 Motobecane Super Mirage 1999 Trek 930 1989 Trek 930 ,

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks Tom. It was quite a bit of work but totally worth it
Old 12-23-13, 09:49 AM
Real1shepherd

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What would you guys recommend for period looking wheels(just talking about the rims for now and not tires), that won't break the bank? I'm kinda at a standstill on this right now...would I be likely to find something in the trading section of this site(never used that here)? What were the alloy wheels originally on the early 70's SC bikes, just in case I can find some? Would would be a dead ringer for those, if not found...or a good alternative?

Kevin
Old 12-23-13, 10:06 AM
jeirvine 

What would you guys recommend for period looking wheels(just talking about the rims for now and not tires), that won't break the bank? I'm kinda at a standstill on this right now...would I be likely to find something in the trading section of this site(never used that here)? What were the alloy wheels originally on the early 70's SC bikes, just in case I can find some? Would would be a dead ringer for those, if not found...or a good alternative?
Kevin
I've had a few mid-70's SCs and they all had some variety of Weinman 27" rims. If you have a local co-op, they may have something appropriate for cheap. Or post in the ISO thread - many members here are bound to have a pair of rims or wheels, possibly nearby. Just make sure to post some trade bait.
Old 12-23-13, 10:45 AM
Real1shepherd

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've had a few mid-70's SCs and they all had some variety of Weinman 27" rims. If you have a local co-op, they may have something appropriate for cheap. Or post in the ISO thread - many members here are bound to have a pair of rims or wheels, possibly nearby. Just make sure to post some trade bait.
No local co-op, small, isolated town. I have no extra anything to trade as "bait". All the bikes I have I ride routinely and any extra parts are for their upkeep. I know a lot of you guys have piles of parts, but in this particular hobby, I'm not there yet.

Kevin
Old 12-23-13, 11:46 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Kevin
They normally came with Weinmann or similar rims. They were a bit delicate compared with newer models. I'd recommend not using exact replacements if you can get something else for the same money. If you look at a rim as a wear item like brake pads and tires, you can replace it without feeling your are not desecrating the original bike.

Old 12-23-13, 07:20 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Weinmann concaves would be my first recommendation, even over new rims. They have welded seams(instead of pinned), eyelet spoke holes(on most), deep sidewalls to help with brake fitment, and are strong as hell. A little bit of weight penalty, but well worth it IMHO. They are on a lot of my bikes, and are original equipment on the later seventies and early eighties Super Course model.,,,,BD

I share the same sentiment on the older Weinmanns. They look great, but tend to need truing more often... They don't like potholes and wide pavement breaks.

Last edited by Bikedued; 12-23-13 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-23-13, 08:35 PM
Real1shepherd

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
Weinmann concaves would be my first recommendation, even over new rims. They have welded seams(instead of pinned), eyelet spoke holes(on most), deep sidewalls to help with brake fitment, and are strong as hell. A little bit of weight penalty, but well worth it IMHO. They are on a lot of my bikes, and are original equipment on the later seventies and early eighties Super Course model.,,,,BD

I share the same sentiment on the older Weinmanns. They look great, but tend to need truing more often... They don't like potholes and wide pavement breaks.
Seems like very sound advice, thanks. I'm assuming these are still alloy and not steel, correct? Easy or hard to find, i.e., are they plentiful?

Kevin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.