Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Listening to Music via Headphones?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Listening to Music via Headphones?

Old 05-11-20, 05:29 PM
siclmn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
Can someone...anyone...explain how knowing a car is behind you makes any difference whatsoever? Please?

I've asked this in other threads and never gotten a response. In other words, what do you do with the information? What do you do differently? Are you pulling off the road or something? It seems to me that if you do anything differently based on whether or not a car is behind you is just a recipe for disaster, because you're going to eventually get it wrong.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting anyone ride with music or headphones if they don't feel safe doing so. I'm just tired of people making statements about how unsafe it is without offering some kind of rationale.
Exactly, like on a group ride with the Cascade Bicycle Club of Seattle there will always be a loud voiced woman screaming "car back" for the whole 50 mile ride. What will you differently? I have no idea. I have asked riders what this yelling service accomplishes and nobody has ever given a good reason. The leader will always tell the screaming woman that he appreciates her help because he is busy yelling out things as he rides too. My bliss is when I ride by myself with my music, just a totally enjoyable experience. I don't need riding instructions.
Likes For siclmn:
Old 05-11-20, 05:34 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
^^^^^^ Nothing definitive, as this was an internet survey but it has some talking points.
https://road.cc/content/news/236335-...s-crucial-safe
Old 05-11-20, 05:56 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Listening to music while riding is a distraction which makes you less aware of your surroundings...Another reason why I don't listen to music is because it takes all the fun and pleasure out of cycling....When I am outdoors I rather listen to the sounds of traffic, the sounds of nature and the sounds of the world around me than be distracted by some silly music....Sure music has its place in life but riding a bike or exercising is not the place for it.
Old 05-11-20, 06:30 PM
Retfor

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Didn't read the whole thread, too long for that, but my two cents is that it greatly depends on the headphones. For headphones intended to block sound, like the in-ear earbuds, I would agree that it's dangerous to wear two while riding. I don't like those, anyway, tho. I like the old style of earbuds that don't block much sound. I ride all the time wearing those, and I don't feel it's unsafe at all. I can hear the important things just fine, even the sound of a car's tires on ground as it moves.
Old 05-11-20, 07:39 PM
F308

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Of course it's unsafe. BTW, so is looking at your phone mounted on your handlebars, but that's a different thread.

In any case (speaking as a musician), isn't there are already too much "music" around you already? Supermarkets, home, muzak... you name it.

Enjoy the sound of reality, stay safe, and if you need it, hum or sing to yourself. You have a huge number of "music files" in your head already -- use them.
Likes For F308:
Old 05-11-20, 07:45 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by F308
Of course it's unsafe. BTW, so is looking at your phone mounted on your handlebars, but that's a different thread.
Yes it is...

In any case (speaking as a musician), isn't there are already too much "music" around you already? Supermarkets, home, muzak... you name it.
Bad music.
Old 05-11-20, 08:13 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisWagner
So what are your conclusions on deaf cyclists?
I've never asked a deaf cyclist. It would be great if a deaf cyclist responded with their experiences.
Old 05-11-20, 08:40 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts

Enjoy the sound of reality, stay safe, and if you need it, hum or sing to yourself. You have a huge number of "music files" in your head already -- use them.
I'm a professional musician too, and for me riding is another way to get away from my job! I wanna hear birds, dogs, cars, trucks, wind, sirens, rattlesnakes--but NOT music!
Old 05-11-20, 09:02 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
I was a full-time musician for years. But I'm really a music lover more than a musician. Now my two sons, they are real musicians.
The best quote from a musician I heard is "It isn't something I want to do, It's something I have to do.
Earbud music while riding a bike is Not a distraction for 'ME" but rather an Enhancement.
Imagine watching the movie Jaws with No music.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 05-11-20, 09:07 PM
900ss

Bikes: 1987 Team Allez (Tesch), 2020 Turbo Creo SL Comp Carbon EVO, 2023 Turbo Levo S-Works, 2021 Turbo Levo SL Carbon Expert

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
I'm a professional musician too, and for me riding is another way to get away from my job! I wanna hear birds, dogs, cars, trucks, wind, sirens, rattlesnakes--but NOT music!

Agreed, although I am not a musician. Riding particularly on the street, is a dangerous proposition and all our senses need to be in tune with our surroundings.
Old 05-11-20, 09:12 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,026 Times in 1,426 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
I've never asked a deaf cyclist. It would be great if a deaf cyclist responded with their experiences.
I wonder if any of them have survived! (Sarcasm mode)
Old 05-11-20, 09:17 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
I wonder if any of them have survived! (Sarcasm mode)
I wonder if they ride as freely or without special gear. Answer is kind of obvious.
Old 05-11-20, 09:24 PM
julius rensch

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Tourist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Agreed ssmiker....
as an Audiologist, I must say, auditory clues and cues are paramount to making decisions, whether behind the wheel of an automobile, while cyling, or merely walking down the sidewalk....why anyone would want to circumvent that ability with "canned music" in your ears is beyond belief.
Julius in Ohio, who now uses hearing aids to survive and yes to hear the birds.

"Live simply, so that others may simply live"
Likes For julius rensch:
Old 05-11-20, 09:41 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by julius rensch
Agreed ssmiker....
as an Audiologist, I must say, auditory clues and cues are paramount to making decisions, whether behind the wheel of an automobile, while cyling, or merely walking down the sidewalk....why anyone would want to circumvent that ability with "canned music" in your ears is beyond belief.
Julius in Ohio, who now uses hearing aids to survive and yes to hear the birds.

"Live simply, so that others may simply live"
Yep. I liken it to surfing. If you surf, you know what I mean - when a big set is coming in, you can't see what's behind that wave you're looking at, trying to decide whether to take it, duck dive, etc. But you can often hear what's behind it--is the set over? is there a monster coming and you're gonna be in the impact zone? I like all my senses at full capacity when doing any kind of sport that has physical risk.
Old 05-12-20, 01:05 AM
sacr

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Wearing headphones is proven to increase incidents? Can you back up that claim with a reference, please?
possibly you had your headphones in when replying and were attempting to multi-task, where did I say it increases incidents?

As far as I know there is only research that shows that peoples ability to navigate their immediate environment is diminished when they have audio cues removed.
And as far as I know there are no stats to show that riding blindfolded increases incidents either...........

Last edited by sacr; 05-12-20 at 01:11 AM.
Old 05-12-20, 05:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisWagner
So what are your conclusions on deaf cyclists?
Irrelevant.

I see blind people doing pretty well walking on sidewalks, is that a reason for sighted people to wear blindfolds while walking?
Old 05-12-20, 05:44 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,486 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Imagine if CVS receipts all started with "On a previous visit to the store, you purchased ..." , and never included any new purchases.
You win BF for the week with that one.
Old 05-12-20, 05:59 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
When I'm cycling I want all my senses at 100%. And, I'm too busy focusing on the bike, my body, technique and the surroundings to appreciate music anyway.
Old 05-12-20, 06:02 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
I just can't figure out how you know if a car approaching from the rear is going to hit you or Not hit you?

​​​​​After reading this thread the thing I'm most thankful for is Not having to ride on a MUP. By y'all's post it sounds like there's a lot of jerks on them both with and Without earbuds.
We kinda have MUP, but I only use it when pulling my daughter in a trailer/buggy. And it's not congested, mostly Walker's on it. Actually it's Waco river walk. I don't use earbuds then.
When I ride I'm training, for a race, for fitness. I Love riding and thoroughly enjoy it but I don't ride to enjoy nature, or be alone with my thoughts or any of that type of stuff. I'm just not there yet...maybe one day.
If I want to get in nature I run or hike in our Cameron Park trails or country roads. Nothing gives you the lay of the land like walking, running, or hiking thru Hill and Dale.
Music is such a good part of a lot of things I do like reading, hitting the heavy bag, weight training, driving, relaxing or watching TV. Can you imagine watching a Movie with no music to set the tone? So I listen to music when I train on the bike or off. It just adds to the enjoyment it doesn't detract from it.
Finally, where I ride, it's four miles then I'm out of traffic. My main concern is distracted drivers. I'm not concerned when I wear earbuds that I can't hear cars at at their full roaring Volume. But Hey, to each his own.
This.
Old 05-12-20, 06:04 AM
julius rensch

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Tourist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by sacr
possibly you had your headphones in when replying and were attempting to multi-task, where did I say it increases incidents?

As far as I know there is only research that shows that peoples ability to navigate their immediate environment is diminished when they have audio cues removed.
And as far as I know there are no stats to show that riding blindfolded increases incidents either...........
Shall we take a look at this situation, realisticly?
Wearing Earphones when in an environment of potential danger may lead to incidents of disability or even death...it's called "distraction"

Julius in Ohio
Likes For julius rensch:
Old 05-12-20, 06:08 AM
maglia_grigia

Bikes: Bianchi C2C Via Nirone 7

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tophy_Dee
Safe or unsafe? I’ve seen some other cyclists with air pods and other headphones on and though what a great idea to listen to some tunes while riding. But then I realized maybe it’s not such a good idea? Can’t hear if cyclists are coming up behind or if there’s cars or sirens. Basically can’t hear anything at all!

What are your thoughts on this and if you do listen to music, any tips to be able listen and keep safe at the same time?
would absolutely not have headphones in while riding on the road.

My view is you only need to be unlucky once and your life could change dramatically or come to a premature end.

I like to be able to hear when cars are coming and know they are approaching. I was riding near a motorway the other day and was mega surprised when a car passed me I couldn't hear because of the other traffic noise.
Old 05-12-20, 06:21 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,026 Times in 1,426 Posts
Originally Posted by sacr

I was replying to your post where you said this:

Yes, some jurisdictons are just slow in catching up, much the same way that most are slow on banning hands free phones for the drivers in car, yes its proven to increase incidents.”

So what are you saying increases incidents? Hands-free phones? The banning of hands-free phones? What does either have to do with riding while listening to music?
Old 05-12-20, 08:14 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Just as the vehicle is about to overtake me, I will take a quick look back, like a pitcher monitoring a runner on 2nd base.
I almost spit out my cereal when I read that one. Pull the other one while you're at it. On a typical 30 mile ride, I probably get passed by 400 cars-- because I trend toward lower traffic roads. Riding arterials (the ones that happen to have bike lanes) it would not be uncommon to be passed 30-50 times per minute. If you were to employ your purported tactic, you'd be spending more time looking behind you than looking in front of you.

This thread continues its journey into absurdity where baseless opinion gets dressed up as fact and bandies itself about. Headphones/earbuds are not dangerous in and of themselves. Not paying attention to your surroundings is dangerous. Every rider I personally know that has had an incident with another vehicle, none of them were wearing earbuds. They were presumably "fully aware of their surroundings."

Here's a fact that some posters won't like: Listening to music while riding is a choice. It is not mandatory. No one is making you do it. If you're interested, try it out. If you like it, go for it. If you don't like it... don't do it. Free will is neat.
Old 05-12-20, 08:37 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Reminds me of the argument I have heard about riders being helpless to control how they land or where they go during a crash. If you're about to crash, and just throw your hands up and say "Calgon take me away!" and let yourself flail around helplessly like a rag doll, I would agree that person has no control over their fate. But this is the result of a lack of concern, rather than it is the utter impossibility of making tactical decisions on the fly as to how you are gonna land.

Same with the headphones. You have made a decision to put everything going on behind you on "ignore". So yeah, at that point, you have handed control of your fate, over an endless line of faceless cars, and their angry / distracted / hung over / "just-got-fired-for-no-reason" standards of what a safe pass is.

In heavy traffic, of course you can't monitor every single car, but it's wise to monitor what going on on your left to the extent you can, and observe the general "mood" of traffic that day. I think this is important, but YMMV. Some people prefer to stay ignorant about certain things (e.g., what goes on in the toilet bowl) I completely understand it.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 05-12-20, 08:50 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Last time I had an "off" while riding, mid-way through a turn, my back wheel hit a patch of silt that was dry on the top and wet underneath-- it was like hitting black ice. One second I was doing 18mph, and within that same second I was on the ground. Time to plan? I was still clipped in and still had both hands on the bars. But I landed drive-side up, so it worked out.

You can plan for an incident you are absolutely certain is going to happen. You need to know the when, where, how, and why. This is how stuntmen survive their jobs. Accidents/incidents don't work that way. They just happen. The notion of "planning the fall" on a road bike just isn't really a thing. Every time I've come into contact with pavement, the whole thing was over in a blink of an eye.

Lastly, it's not about fate at all-- it's about faith. Cycling on the road is a pure act of faith. Against all other odds or indicators, you have faith that the car approaching you from behind is not going to hit you. And they either do, or they don't. If you have some deep-seated belief that you can somehow prevent the one time that one car is going to hit you from behind, sadly you are deluding yourself. You're not going to feel the tingle from your spider sense and bunny-hop onto the sidewalk at the last second to save yourself from disaster. I'm not being negative or nihilistic. I'm being pragmatic. I have accepted that there are things out of my control-- because honestly, thinking-- no, believing that someone is in control of something that they have ZERO control over is actually dangerous.

Ed. note: this is speaking strictly as a not MTB'er. They fall down all the time, and many of them get very, very good at it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.