Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Sweat in the eyes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Sweat in the eyes

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-20, 11:44 AM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Gutr headband helps. Not a total 100% effective but eliminates a lot of the sweat running into you eyes.

Just so you know what I am referring to.....here it is:

Old 07-27-20, 11:53 AM
Wooderson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
I have been using a Sweat Gtr. They do a pretty good job of directing sweat away from your eyes.
I recently began using a Gutr, and I've found that it works well. It was initially a little tricky to layer it in with the helmet and glasses, the strap pushed down on the top of my ears, but I think I've got it figured out now, and the last couple rides have been comfortable (I have to put the elastic strap high on the back of my head, then put on my loosened helmet, and then clamp down on the helmet's retention system).

It's sort of gross when you feel the corralled sweat run down the side of your face, the thing really is a gutter. Have you noticed how when you turn to look back (like to change lanes), the gutr empties itself? That's gross, too, but at least it's not in my eyes!
Old 07-27-20, 12:07 PM
Wooderson

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Unless you've been diagnosed with high blood pressure, your sodium intake is fine. My salt loss through sweat is significant (it is the summer, after all) and a dietary change that reduced my sodium could have serious adverse effects.
Yes!

I was experiencing ocular / retinal migraines that caused temporary blindness, and it was traced to low electrolytes affecting the ocular nerve. Restricting salt and then sweating a lot is a good way to create an electrolyte imbalance, and that can cause a multitude of issues. I would definitely talk to a doctor before cutting salts.
Old 07-27-20, 12:10 PM
Wooderson

Originally Posted by MinnMan
I think that's a mistake that everybody makes exactly once.
I actually have to put sunscreen on the high part of my forehead (forehead is getting bigger every day), lest I get burned through the vents. I use Coppertone Sport 80 and really rub it in, and it doesn't seem to make it to my eyes (even before I started wearing a Gutr headband).
Old 07-27-20, 12:13 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4383 Post(s)
Liked 3,015 Times in 1,864 Posts
Originally Posted by Wooderson
I actually have to put sunscreen on the high part of my forehead (forehead is getting bigger every day), lest I get burned through the vents. I use Coppertone Sport 80 and really rub it in, and it doesn't seem to make it to my eyes (even before I started wearing a Gutr headband).
That's why I started wearing a skull cap under my helmet. No need for sunscreen. And it really is cooler.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 07-27-20, 01:54 PM
Marylander

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
I used a sweat gutr for running for a long time but assumed it'd be no good for cycling as my head is not upright on the bike. Turns out I was wrong. I must not be as aero as I thought. The gutr is superior to the halo for me as it never gets saturated (it's rubber). With weather like we've had lately (temps in the mid-90s F or higher and dew point at 70+) a halo only works about 30 minutes for me before I've got a constant stream of sweat coming into my eyes.
Old 07-27-20, 07:56 PM
travelerman

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
Halo II. Don't sweat on the bike without it.
Old 07-27-20, 09:22 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Consult the rules: #5 - HTFU
Old 07-27-20, 10:15 PM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
I used to wear bike caps, but now I use my Schampa balaclava. Just bunch up the face mask part on top of your head. Comfortable, and seamless where it goes across your forehead. Make my helmet fit better too.

Unlike the one under armour skull cap I have used. The seam leaves a forehead mark, but is still not felt - so it's a wash.

Bought the Halo skull mask and it's got some new fangled 6 inch or so rubber gasket type deal that is not thin and I guess you place it parallel to your forehead so that it keeps sweat from your eyes? Very tight fit also - Returned for a refund. Amazon, so no worries.

Even the Buff headwear can be used - go to around 1:52

Old 07-28-20, 10:54 AM
Badbird2000

Bikes: Litespeed

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
I recently asked the same question. I ordered some Veo sweat strips. I have used them twice so far, very pleased with the results.
Old 07-28-20, 12:24 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by leo95se
I stopped wearing cycling glasses. Not ideal because keeping debris and bugs out of eyes is important but I found when I wear them it’s significantly worse, and sweat drips onto the lens which makes me nuts.
Without them I get nice airflow on my face, and that keeps sweat rolling to the back of my head.
This is possibly the worst recommendation. Getting hit in the eye with a thumb sized June bug at 25 mph may blind you permanently, and/or cause you to crash into an innocent. Please always wear eye protection, and deal with the sweat another way. I'd rather see cyclists without their helmet, than without their glasses.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 07-28-20, 12:30 PM
leo95se

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Riveting
This is possibly the worst recommendation. Getting hit in the eye with a thumb sized June bug at 25 mph may blind you permanently, and/or cause you to crash into an innocent. Please always wear eye protection, and deal with the sweat another way. I'd rather see cyclists without their helmet, than without their glasses.
apologies i didnt begin my post with a disclaimer..

it wasnt a recommendation, just an observation based on where, when, i ride.
Old 07-28-20, 01:07 PM
Marylander

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Badbird2000
I recently asked the same question. I ordered some Veo sweat strips. I have used them twice so far, very pleased with the results.
These work the best I just wish there was some way to make them reusable.
Old 07-28-20, 01:38 PM
Germanrazor

apologies i didnt begin my post with a disclaimer..

it wasnt a recommendation, just an observation based on where, when, i ride.
I see where you are coming from on the air across the face and the fact sweat drips on your sunglasses and smears that nasty salty water over them......but debris to the eyes is much worse I think and yes, may not be an issue where you live. I wish it weren't for me. Unfortunately living in rural areas where there are many farms and such, large bugs and bumblebees are constantly pelting me in the head area way too much.

Today my ride I only had one hit me in the upper right arm. However, I battled some temps today but the humidity was at least bearable at 51%.

Ride on and be safe my friends. BTW- Wore my Gutr guard and it worked pretty good. I didn't sweat as much today but it did channel most sweat to the sides.
Old 07-29-20, 06:27 AM
leo95se

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Germanrazor
I see where you are coming from on the air across the face and the fact sweat drips on your sunglasses and smears that nasty salty water over them......but debris to the eyes is much worse I think and yes, may not be an issue where you live. I wish it weren't for me. Unfortunately living in rural areas where there are many farms and such, large bugs and bumblebees are constantly pelting me in the head area way too much.

Today my ride I only had one hit me in the upper right arm. However, I battled some temps today but the humidity was at least bearable at 51%.

Ride on and be safe my friends. BTW- Wore my Gutr guard and it worked pretty good. I didn't sweat as much today but it did channel most sweat to the sides.
that’s hot! My ride started at 90F and ended around 83F yesterday.

I totally agree on the debris and bug risk. I’ve eaten my fair share of protein lol.

it might be my glasses but they typically become useless 30mins in as they are covered in sweat drips and everything I see reminds me of what it must be like to see as a bug..

curious, have you tried adding one of those strips to the brim of your glasses?
Old 07-29-20, 11:19 AM
probe1957

Bikes: 2020 Scott Speedster 10 Disc

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Ditto on the Halo sweatband.
Old 07-29-20, 03:44 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I wore a bandanna over my forehead for a late night ride last night. Temp was in the 80s with 90% humidity. I don't know how the air can be that humid without actual rain, but it was weird. It actually felt chilly in some dips in the road near river beds, where the temperature drops several degrees. And my bandanna, jersey and shorts were soaked in sweat because nothing evaporated.

I'm kinda looking forward to hot and dry again. At least sweat evaporates quickly. I don't usually need a bandanna for that.
Old 07-29-20, 04:08 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
One summer years ago I put sunblock on my forehead. NEVER AGAIN! Talk about burning eyes. Thank goodness I had a bottle with me that had just water in it.

Cheers
I actually do put sunblock on my forehead, around my eyes and on big sun days, even my eye sockets and lids, BUT I only use Aloegator (sp) Gel. The stuff doesn't run and is the mildest in eyes of any I've ever used. So I apply the gel over a raccoon like patch around my eyes and Banana Boat everywhere else. (The gel is work to clean off. I have to wash my eye sockets several times. I spent too much time racing sailboats in the pre-good sunscreen days I can feel that I haven't done myself good when I ride without protection around my eyes. I do not use wrap-a-round cycling glasses; preferring simple good prescription wire rimmed sunglasses.
Old 07-29-20, 04:46 PM
Germanrazor

that’s hot! My ride started at 90F and ended around 83F yesterday.

I totally agree on the debris and bug risk. I’ve eaten my fair share of protein lol.

it might be my glasses but they typically become useless 30mins in as they are covered in sweat drips and everything I see reminds me of what it must be like to see as a bug..

curious, have you tried adding one of those strips to the brim of your glasses?
I have not.